home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Driving 600 ohms Headphones (AKG K 240 DF)

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Driving 600 ohms Headphones (AKG K 240 DF)

Postby DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE on Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:50 pm

So years back, I decided that since at the time I did not have a set of monitors, I would invest in a nice expensive set of headphones to mix on. What I chose was the AKG k 240 df, which being as I had no idea about such things, I decided upon by simply reading a catalog and opting for the most expensive... The write ups were good as well.

What I did not know, and frankly still don't get, is that they were 2 x 600 ohms, which I discovered meant that none of the mixers, or converters, or even headphone distribution amps I owned could make these damn things get loud enough without distorting. I can tell they sound very nice, at least at the incredibly quiet level I can hear them at.

I don't have the dough for a crazy audiophile headphone amp, and I have tempted to try the inexpensive amps out there like the Cmoy altoid cans, but alas, they offer no significant amplification.

Frankly, I was ready to chuck the damn things into the ocean, when I just happened to plug them into my 15 year old not-so-fancy Yamaha receiver only to be amazed that it pushes these things amazingly, and with more headroom than I could ever need (without distorting at all).

My question is, what can I do to get such performance from my audio gear? Or should I just get some adapters and rack my old receiver? I am assuming that it has something to do with the fact that there is no amplification (or at least not at all a significant amount) in the phones section of my audio gear... Or am I missing something?
DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Re: Driving 600 ohms Headphones (AKG K 240 DF)

Postby tarandfeathers on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:13 pm

You can drive 600R headphones straight off a power amp. If you want you can put a 1W, 50 to 100R resistor in series with each side to give some protection against overloading but really, you will be able to tell if you're driving them too hard. I would either get a little power amp, 20W or so and drive them off that, or run them off the amps for your speakers and make a little switcher box to switch the speakers on and off.
Don't shun it. Fun it.
tarandfeathers
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby scott on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:01 pm

I've had the same pair of K240's for about 15 years now. Love em. Was just using them an hour ago, the output from my new USB box can drive them loud enough for anything I'd wanna do aside from overdubbing or otherwise minitially in a very noisy environment... Tracking drums or stuff, out of the question really. They're not designed for good isolation, they're designed for clarity and whatnot. I love em. Things I've found can drive them well enough : Tascam cassette 4tk. M-Audio USB sound box. Digitech multi-effecta stompbox. My home stereo. My console (Soundcraft 800b). The box that drives them the best, better than my stereo, is the headphone amp we have at the practice space. Kicks ass. Things I have found to be unable to drive them: headphone output on a laptop, and headphone output of a discman. Use your stereo! Or get a cheap headphone amp.
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:30 pm

http://www.siglermusiconline.com/store/ ... 7p2905.htm

Anybody have an idea if the specs on this look as though they would give me the juice I need? I need a headphone dist amp anyway, but cant find one of these in person to try. The price is great and I like that you can run four separate mixes and run line level out for each channel as well to monitors (powered anyway).

hmmm...
DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Return to Tech Room