home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Inherit the Windbag

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Inherit the Windbag

Postby steve on Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:56 am

Our President has weighed in with his thoughts on the teaching of evolution and creationism in our schools.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby scelops on Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:01 am

scelops
casio
casio

Postby themajormiller on Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:01 am

Wow, Mr. President. That's...that's fucking great.

Just a daily reminder that we're sooo fucked.

HAPPY FRIDAY!!
Vince Clortho = retaliation $& beard;
[img]DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE = retaliation $& text = "no ceramics in the signal path, mate, only plastic film" endline; SUB $&01001110; BNE $&01000011; JMP $&00011101;Err $&D0256FA2;
themajormiller
berith
berith

Postby Hynes on Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:05 am

Jesus...................... :roll:
Hynes
jock
jock

Postby Champion Rabbit on Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:15 am

After the debacle surrounding the 'intelligence' relating to Iraq, one would perhaps have thought that he'd be steering-clear of anything associated with the word 'intelligent' or 'intelligence'.

Clearly he's a fan of lazy comedy hacks.
Going down the only road I've ever known.
Champion Rabbit
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby stewie on Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:20 am

If I ever meet the prick, I'm going to question his "intelligent design" theory with Bill Hicks' favourite one-word retort for these creationist fucks:

"Dinosaur"
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Gramsci on Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:21 am

It can't be good having a total idiot for a president.

I can hear laughing from cafes on the Left Bank in Paris from here in London!

Presidents seem to polarise the US too much, why not go for a more decentralised system and take away the powers of the Federal state to force idiotic views on the rest of the country?

But it's not my country....

Good luck with that!
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby sparky on Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:23 am

stewie wrote:If I ever meet the prick, I'm going to question his "intelligent design" theory with Bill Hicks' favourite one-word retort for these creationist fucks:

"Dinosaur"

Sadly, he'd probably come back with what Hicks defined as the God as merry prankster gambit.
sparky
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Rimbaud III on Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:24 am

Surely this was inevitable?

Is it me or is there an air of desperation about the whole intelligent design 'theory'?
Rimbaud III
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby solum on Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:30 am

Last edited by solum on Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solum
"amarillo slim" preston
"amarillo slim" preston

on one minor point

Postby danmohr on Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:42 am

In the most minor of ways, I do agree that kids should be exposed to these "intelligent design" and creationism theories. Perhaps if they were exposed to all of the theories and the evidence (or lack thereof) supporting or disproving each, they would be able to discern scientific fact from complete crock of shit. Those kids who then decide that an age of 6000 years sounds 'bout right for this here planet we live on can then be tagged like grizzly bears for later monitoring lest they show an intest in politics or the judiciary.

I think trying to pretend that competing views (however flimsy) don't exist does a disservice to students. It implies that the prevailing view is the prevailing view by default rather than because it has become so on the strenght of its merits. This sort of scope is really useful when discussing capitalism and democratic governments as well. It's not that there aren't other options on the menu, it's that they're all Boca burgers (read: crap).

Dan
danmohr
rolls royce
rolls royce

Postby bumble on Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:43 am

scelops wrote:http://www.venganza.org/index.htm

-k

This is the second greatest thing I have ever seen-->

This is the greatest thing I have ever seen-->

Awesome. Salut, scelops!

Edit: changed the image link
Last edited by bumble on Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
bumble
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby stewie on Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:46 am

solum wrote:I am terrified by how easy a target Bush is, and how this doesn't seem to be enough to get rid of the guy. Surely he is invincible?

I am SO glad that he can't serve another term.

He's not invincible - his general approval rating is close to the 30's. That's really, really bad.

His approval rating for handling the war (SORRY! I meant, "struggle against global extremism"!!) is almost at the same level.

The almost-win of Paul Hackett in Ohio is hopefully a taste of things to come next year when elections are held for house representatives and a juicy third of the Senate.

Think Bush will get lots done if Congress gets taken back?
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Gramsci on Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:53 am

Aw, you poor yanks should stop putting up with this shit. Seriously, you need to stop giving any religious idea any bloody credence and stop giving theist any respect. It’s a bad habit. Would you give any respect to some guy that told you he was a practitioner of 14th century medicine? No, you’ll tell him to take his leeches and stick them up his ass.

It all leads to what you are seeing now. Once you open the door to this stuff –by that I mean, ideas that have no basis in rational thought- more hardcore theists will come along kick the door the down, tip all your booze down the sink force you to start beating your children.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Re: on one minor point

Postby stewie on Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:58 am

danmohr wrote:In the most minor of ways, I do agree that kids should be exposed to these "intelligent design" and creationism theories....
I think trying to pretend that competing views (however flimsy) don't exist does a disservice to students.

Differing views that have no scientific basis have no place in a science class.

Scientific methods are well defined: a theory that has been "scientifically proven" will have undergone a rigorous, controlled examination by many people, published for peer review (along with the methods and data used) so that all can see how the theory was proven.

Differing views that just offer pure conjecture and are offered up as scientific fact are dangerous to the students (because at the age of 13, they probably aren't reading Nature and they'll take their teacher's word as truth) and to the fundamentals of science itself.

I can offer you a "different view" that 2+2=5, but you can easily (and scientifically) prove that I'm wrong. Therefore, my view shouldn't get airtime in your math class.

Someone show me scientific proof that God created this planet, and I'll happily let it get taught to my kids. Until then, keep it in the religion lesson.
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Champion Rabbit on Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:02 am

Gramsci, I think it's possible that you have this backwards.

I don't believe for a second that the US admin genuinely believes in this crap, do you? US admin believes in two things; power and money. Their (ab)use of religion as a hurding tool for the voters is, I think, entirely cynical.
Champion Rabbit

Postby Gramsci on Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:04 am

Anyway, what's so fuckin' intelligent about my spleen getting cancer and killing me!

There is nothing intelligent about the "design" of humans, we're a fuckin' mess!

I eat, shit, reproduce, get diseases and die like every other animal on earth! Where's God in that!
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Champion Rabbit on Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:05 am

Gramsci wrote:Anyway, what's so fuckin' intelligent about my spleen getting cancer and killing me!

Champion Rabbit

Re: on one minor point

Postby bumble on Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:05 am

stewie wrote:I can offer you a "different view" that 2+2=5, but you can easily (and scientifically) prove that I'm wrong. Therefore, my view shouldn't get airtime in your math class.

(Actually, 2+2 does equal 5 for large values of 2 and a small value of 5.

Sorry. I'll go sit in my Geek Corner of Shame, again, and stop pestering the other kids.)

Oh, and fuck intelligent design. Fuck it in the ear with a fork full of Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Love, bumble
bumble

Postby davesec on Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:11 am

i think bush is an idiot but he really didn't say that much and the reporter seemed to be pushing.

i mean for all you know bush meant for intelligent design or whatever to be taught in history class instead of biology.

as stupid as the bible is, it's an important part in literature & history as it's shaped a lot of the world.

i don't think it's stupid at all to tell a kids in school that a bunch of people honestly believe what this ridiculous book has to say about how we got to where we are, and as a result there was a lot of conflict and struggle before evolution was accepted as fact
davesec
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Next

Return to General Discussion