home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Can anyone tell me about recording at EA generally?

Got a question about our studios? Ask us.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Can anyone tell me about recording at EA generally?

Postby craigricci on Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:28 pm

I've always recorded my songs in home studios, and though the finished product is always good, it's never exactly great. So, a large part of me wants to take my band to somewhere like EA and work with the legendary Mr. Albini, but at the same time I can't help but worry that's a lot of money I can't afford (especially since I don't charge for albums, I think music should be free to fans... I can, in theory, make enough from touring, merchandising, licensing, airplay royalties, etc... in other words, let the rich people pay for it... but that's another idealogical story).

So I am curious whether anyone can tell me about the process of studio recording, in particular at EA, and what's involved. How long does a song take to complete? And then what? Does it still need to be produced elsewhere? Mastered?

I realize these are general questions, but I've never been in a professional studio so I don't really know what the process is, what the finished product is, and whether more is needed.

I guess I should point out my band is of the three piece indie/pop/punk-rock genre, though I typically layer more than one guitar track. Stylistically, we would probably be considered the eqivalent of a painting that matches the couch rather than a piece by Damien Hirst.

Thanks.
craigricci
troll
troll

Postby Dylan on Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:20 pm

This took me for fucking ever to find, but here it is:

http://www.electricalaudio.com/phpBB2/viewto ... highlight=

A lot of people had some good comments and might not want to make the effort again. But there you go...
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby tmidgett on Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:30 pm

whatever you do, i would like to ask permission to use 'a painting that matches the couch' as a title, if you don't already have plans for it
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

"A painting..."

Postby Redline on Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:32 pm

" ...a painting that matches the couch."
Man, that better be the title of your as-yet-to-be-cheaply-recorded masterwork, or I'm just gonna steal it...

Just kidding...

Jay
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby craigricci on Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:13 pm

Ok, that link was helpful. But I'm more curious about the process itself, and whether anyone that has recorded there can enlighten me about the day to day routine.

When I record at home studios, I plug in my guitar and record to a click track. In an attempt to get the sound I think I want, I use a couple guitars through a couple amps and mix accordingly. Bass and drums and vox are added later.

But what about at EA? Is everything entirely up to the band... or does someone at EA say, "Hey, you might want to play through this kind of amp to get the sound you want." Or even, "Hey, you might want to play through this kind of amp to get the sound I think would be right."

Does that make sense?
craigricci
troll
troll

Postby lee on Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:56 pm

My experience was that just about everything like that is left up to the band. Steve would offer some advice, but the idea always seemed to be to "let the band make the record" as he said. This total lack of hand-holding is good for you. Ultimately, you're the one who has to live with the results of your work. I highly recommend the place and hope to record there again someday.
lee
redd foxx
redd foxx

Postby 154 on Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:11 pm

before i knew much about the studio i think i felt the same way as you, maybe expecting some type of universal 'philosophy' that applies to all recordings at EA. but after learning more about the studio (through this site and eventually recording there myself) they seem like they can and will accomodate just about any type of recording job... whether you and your band wants to record/mix 8 songs in a day or you wanna bring in a separate producer with his protools rig and record a severly edited/glitchy record or whatever. if you feel like playing to a click track is an integral part of your 'process', they'll make it happen. if you insist on 8 layers of guitar, they'll do their best to make it happen (after all, the Zwan record was done there). of course, they might suggest why some of these things might be a bad idea for practical reasons, but at the end of the day it's still your record and they know that (which unfortunately, i find to be a rare quality at almost every studio i've been to.)

i don't quite understand the question 'does it still need to be produced elsewhere', but if you are going to replicate cds or press vinyl, mastering is essential (for at the very least the transfer itself). i can think of 10 great places/engineers off the top of my head who can master your album for around $500.. places where many of the albums you probably own and love were mastered, so it's not like it's an elite step reserved for the 'big boys' or anything. as far as how much money you should spend and how long you should take to record it, that stuff is up to you and your band.

good luck
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Lobster Magnet on Mon May 03, 2004 1:43 am

Does EA do mastering?
Lobster Magnet
les miserables
les miserables

Re: Can anyone tell me about recording at EA generally?

Postby Liturgy on Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:42 pm

Zwan recorded at EA?

Who recorded that album? Doesn't sound like anything Steve ever recorded.
Weird.
Liturgy
seminarian
seminarian

Postby greg on Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:02 pm

Liturgy wrote:Zwan recorded at EA?

Who recorded that album? Doesn't sound like anything Steve ever recorded.
Weird.

Yep,

Not everything recorded here is done by Steve. There's two studios, four engineers, and lots of freelance clients filling up the time. That record was started here (drums, bass, some guitars), then finished at CRC. Former employee Rob Bochnik and I were the only EA employees helping producer Bjorn Thorsrud and company do the recording.
greg
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Liturgy on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:42 am

Thanks for the reply, Greg.

How did you like working with Bjorn and Billy? Did you like how the record turned out in the end?
Liturgy
seminarian
seminarian

Postby greg on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:31 pm

They were both easy to work with, as was Alan Moulder who was here for a week. I learned a great deal during that session, how to properly organize giant sessions, stay a step ahead of a whirlwind of activity. Bjorn taught me a lot of overlooked mundane fundamentals of working in protools efficiently. That has made my life much easier.
I haven't heard the record since it came out. When I worked on it, it was bare bones, and sounded like a good straight rock band. They added lots after the fact. The final thing kind of sounded swamped with stuff, but I don't really have a strong opinion on it either way.
greg
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Liturgy on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:26 am

Very cool.
I agree that in the end it got too many overdubs that brought down the quality of the record.
A shame.
Liturgy
seminarian
seminarian

Postby popeye-con on Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:32 am

If your muscial talent and prior studio experience has lead you to be efficient with regards to recording, then there is no downside to working at EA. If your bandmates are indecisive in the least, or if you are the type of musician that experiments while tracking it will cost you. Inefficiency will cost you.

I will make a suggestion here based on experience. Pick your best songs and rehearse the shit out of them. When you get to the studio finish them all top to bottom and reserve any lessor material for the end of the session, if there is time. There is nothing worse than looking back a year later at a song you have come to despise that was recorded to perfection by the good people at EA.

Hope that helps.
"Whatever you are, be a good one." -Abraham Lincoln
popeye-con
viscount
viscount

Postby drcroc on Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:33 pm

popeye-con wrote:There is nothing worse than looking back a year later at a song you have come to despise that was recorded to perfection by the good people at EA.

Hope that helps.

I think you left out the "in lieu of what you consider superior material" part. Which leads me to my conclusion... no sh*t.
drcroc
carl sagan
carl sagan

Return to Studio Questions