home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Don Cabellero Microphone Setup Pictures

Got a question about our studios? Ask us.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Don Cabellero Microphone Setup Pictures

Postby russ on Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:06 pm

Here are some pictures I took of the microphone setup for Don Cabellero's American Don sessions. Keep in mind that the setup could have changed at any point after I took these photos.

This first one shows the drum kit from the front. The drums are in the Kentucky room of Studio A. You can see an AKG C-24 out in front of the kit as the stereo overhead mic, a D112 for the kick, Josephson 606/609's on the toms, looks like a Beyer 160 as a mono overhead.

This next one of the drums clearly shows the positioning of the C-24 (used as M-S pair) and you can also see the Altec 150's as room mics, and the Altec 175 on the snare.

This shows a close up from behind the kit. There might be something strange going on underneath the hi-hats, but I can't quite tell.

Here you can see another Altec 175 on the auxillary snare.

Moving on to the bass guitar cabinet which was in Center Field along with the guitar cabinets. That's an EV RE-20 on the left and an Audio Technica 4033 on the right.

This one just shows the room mic for the bass cabinet - an AKG C-414.

Two final shots of the guitar cabinet setup. From left to right it goes RCA BK-5A (room), VTL CR-3A, AKG C-28 w/ CK-4 (bi-directional) capsule, Coles/STC 4038.

And here's a close up of the three close mics.

That's all.
russ
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Great Job Russ!

Postby danmaksym on Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:57 pm

Hey Russ,

This is exactly what I was talking about! Amazing job with the pictures and descriptions. Maybe someone could get in the habit of taking a few digital pictures of the session setups from now on... would be very interesting...

Anyway, thanks for taking my suggestion (I think that's what you're doing...if not, nevermind :oops: )

Dan
Dan Maksym
Anthropic Audio
danmaksym
homestar
homestar

Thank You Russ

Postby Andrew Weatherhead on Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:27 pm

Russ,

Thanks so much for putting up the pictures of the Don Cab session. American Don is, in my opinion, the greatest album of all time, and since the first time I listened to it I have wondered what makes it sound so amazing. You have fulfilled a lifetime goal of mine. Infact, the only reason I registered on this site was to try and express my appreciation towards this series of pictures.

Thank You,

Andrew Weatherhead

ps. If you have any more pictures or info about the recording of this album, I would love to see or hear it.
Andrew Weatherhead
rocky mountain oysters
rocky mountain oysters

Postby e_shaun on Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:36 pm

Ironically, I just purchased that album for the first time yesterday...it makes the description of the setup that much more prescient.

Thanks!
E. Shaun Russell
Independent Producer
e_shaun@uniserve.com
Moderator at The Womb
e_shaun
novitiate
novitiate

YES!!

Postby AnalogElectric on Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:41 pm

I support pictures of sessions! I've been putting up pictures of the sessions I've been doing since I got my new camera last winter. I'm going to scan the rest of 8 years worth of pictures and post them on my webpage soon. Only if I had the time to scan my field notes in conjunction with the photo's...

Which brings up another good point for newbie engineers, take good notes on everything you do. I don't know how many times I've referred back to something I did 'X' amount of years back that reminded me of good tones from the past.

--Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Studio MPLS

P.S.--I'd love to see some Neurosis set-ups.
AnalogElectric
fan
fan

Postby AnalogElectric on Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:03 am

Intern_8033 wrote:stay tuned, i'll be posting pictures from sessions in the intern's corner, and they won't be in stupid black and white.

Can't wait (even if it's not Neurosis). I'm happy to see a webpage for Electrical, especially one that's so interactive.

--Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Studio MPLS
http://www.analogelectric.com
AnalogElectric
fan
fan

Postby Giacomo on Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:59 am

Thank you for the nice shots, Russ.

In the fifth picture we see a Gallien-Krueger 800RB head and a vintage Ampeg SVT Classic head sitting on top of an Ampeg SVT-810E cabinet. I was wondering whether the two heads were used separately or "in tandem", i.e. with the G-K's preamp output going into the Ampeg's power amp input (or vice versa). Assuming, of course, that the G-K has a pre out jack and the Ampeg a power in jack (or vice versa).

Thanks,
Giacomo

<added>Forget my stupid question: I've just realized the 800RB has no pre out/power in jacks.</added>
Giacomo

Postby Seaside Lounge on Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:43 pm

How do you use a single stereo mic (the C24) as an MS pair? Is the Beyer 160 the middle signal?
Seaside Lounge
carter family
carter family

Postby hollis on Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:02 am

the C24s top capsule rotates through 180 degrees i seem to remember and both capsules can have the polar response changed via the power supply.
hollis
alderman
alderman

Postby Jon on Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:28 am

[a farily unrelated, and possibly stupid question] for years i had been told, by both magazines and engineer-types too, that placing a mic directly in front of a guitar cab speaker cone was a bad idea. they always suggested placing it more towards the edge of the cone; facing the speaker bit. yet in the above photos, i see mics facing straight into the cones.
which, if either, is the "better" way of getting a decent starting guitar sound?[/a farily unrelated, and possibly stupid question]
Jon
godot
godot

Postby Seaside Lounge on Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:18 am

hollis wrote:the C24s top capsule rotates through 180 degrees i seem to remember and both capsules can have the polar response changed via the power supply.

So one capsule is in figure 8 and the other is in cardioid? That makes sense. I bet that sounds great.
Seaside Lounge
carter family
carter family

Postby hollis on Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:47 am

[/So one capsule is in figure 8 and the other is in cardioid? ]

well, you can move each capsules pattern between cardiod and omni on the power suppy. I seem to remember that there is a half-step between cardioid/figure 8 and figure 8/omni. Its been a while since I've used one so I could be wrong but I do remember loving it and using it alot on drums. I assisted Brian Paulson many moons ago and he dug it, in front of the kit similar to the session above.

[/that placing a mic directly in front of a guitar cab speaker cone was a bad idea]

I've found that the sound right in front of the speaker is somewhat brighter than towards the edge. I assume thats because of the additional excursion of the driver at that point and possibly more uniformaly formed soundwaves. That is, there would be a more focused signal in the middle of the speaker.
hollis
alderman
alderman

Postby max on Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:01 am

Jon wrote:[which, if either, is the "better" way of getting a decent starting guitar sound?[/a farily unrelated, and possibly stupid question]

The best way of getting a decent guitar sound is to place the mic where it sounds best.
Now that I've typed that I feel that it's a stupid answer to a normal question.
But seriously, have a friend or a remote controlled robot move the microphone infront of the best sounding speaker up and down, back and forth. If your friend is wearing headphones, you can dictate him from the control room what to do - just like a robot. Let him/her/it leave the microphone where it sounds best. Easy.
I've read in a book about recording to place the SM 57 in a 37 degree angle to the spot where the cone meets the centre of the speaker.
That's what I call a stupid advice.
Best, Max.
max
doctor feelgood
doctor feelgood

Postby bobulatorm on Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:38 am

max wrote: or a remote controlled robot

i know you were semi joking, but how realistic is this? it'd be fucking awesome! :D
bobulatorm
corporal
corporal

I don't see...

Postby Wernehm_Zackariaah on Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:18 pm

all the booze bottles... Where's da booze at? You know... The hootch... FIREWATER.
Wernehm_Zackariaah
ollie
ollie

Postby johnnyshape on Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:53 pm

bobulatorm wrote:
max wrote: or a remote controlled robot

i know you were semi joking, but how realistic is this? it'd be fucking awesome! :D

A long time ago in a studio far far away I remember the engineer talking to me and describing some big shot producer (I think) who owned something like this. Like a remote controllable XY type thing to stick in front of 4x12s and move a mic around. Who it was I'm afraid I cannot remember. But it may exist...
It would be cooler if it was a real robot though. And it talked to you in, y'know, that voice. And its eyes lit up red. And it could be programmed for evil.
johnnyshape
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Jeremy on Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:00 am

His name was Dave. His helper? Hal9000.
Jeremy
retail therapist
retail therapist

Postby dash-x on Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:24 am

the photos aren't visible anymore...

would it be possible if they could be reposted?

a big thank you if it is possible!
dash-x
utility man
utility man

Postby skatingbasser on Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:38 pm

Here you go.

russ wrote:Here are some pictures I took of the microphone setup for Don Cabellero's American Don sessions. Keep in mind that the setup could have changed at any point after I took these photos.

This first one shows the drum kit from the front. The drums are in the Kentucky room of Studio A. You can see an AKG C-24 out in front of the kit as the stereo overhead mic, a D112 for the kick, Josephson 606/609's on the toms, looks like a Beyer 160 as a mono overhead.
This next one of the drums clearly shows the positioning of the C-24 (used as M-S pair) and you can also see the Altec 150's as room mics, and the Altec 175 on the snare.
This shows a close up from behind the kit. There might be something strange going on underneath the hi-hats, but I can't quite tell.
Here you can see another Altec 175 on the auxillary snare
Moving on to the bass guitar cabinet which was in Center Field along with the guitar cabinets. That's an EV RE-20 on the left and an Audio Technica 4033 on the right.
This one just shows the room mic for the bass cabinet - an AKG C-414.
Two final shots of the guitar cabinet setup. From left to right it goes RCA BK-5A (room), VTL CR-3A, AKG C-28 w/ CK-4 (bi-directional) capsule, Coles/STC 4038.
And here's a close up of the three close mics.
"That man is a head taller than me.

...That may change."
skatingbasser
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby six acre lake on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:07 am

hey what happened to all the lovely images?
six acre lake
future member of don caballero
future member of don caballero

Next

Return to Studio Questions