home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Fever Pitch Record

Got a question about our studios? Ask us.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Fever Pitch Record

Postby Banana Brains on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:05 pm

Hey all. I love the Phil Roebuck Fever Pitch record. The songs are awesome and the recording is fantastic to my ears. Really just wondering how you go about recording a guy like that? Was everything recorded in a single pass or did you do punch in at times? Is the reverb just the natural room sound? So many questions about this great record!

Thanks...Soup.
Banana Brains
corporal
corporal

Re: Fever Pitch Record

Postby Banana Brains on Fri May 01, 2015 4:04 pm

Thought I would bump this after a long time. I don't know, is it bad etiquette to ask about a particular recording on this forum. I guess the question is aimed at Steve. Maybe its bad form or respecting Phil's process or something?

Anyway, I'm still interested in the mic set up for what I'm assuming was mostly Phil standing there with his rig and vocals pounding away. The levels sound so balanced throughout and the room sound or reverb (whatever it is) just sounds fantastic.
Banana Brains
corporal
corporal

Postby steve on Fri May 29, 2015 8:51 pm

Yeah, just a live setup basically. Had one mic on each side of his bass drum, one for the drum side, one for the tambourine side. Those were used in stereo usually. There was a close mic on the banjo, I think a Crown GLM attached to the string trapeze near the bridge, there was a Neumann U48 vocal mic and a stereo pair of room mics. That was about it. we may have edited a take together here and there, no more than a couple songs, but otherwise each song is a single take of Phil doing his thing.

I agree he is amazing.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby garthplinko on Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:33 am

I'll have to check this out. I've never been able to record a banjo and make it sound "good" or "right" to my ears.
garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Return to Studio Questions