home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Can Electrical Audio make a decent cup of tea??

Waste management tips, fly-on-the-wall tatics, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Postby jerny on Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:08 pm

PG Tips is my fave, and yes, water boiling - very important.

I love coffee, I love tea. I love bour-bon whiiiiskey!
I don't have a girlfriend, but I know a girl who would get really mad at me if she heard me say that!
jerny
utility man
utility man

Postby r0ck1r0ck2 on Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:17 am

i'm drinking the 1st cup of tea using chapter two's method outlined above..

s'wonderful..

the ratty electric kettle worked like a charm.

my question involves loose tea...

will the ball suffice..?

it tastes like it does..

but...ignorant american you see..

and Builder's tea?
r0ck1r0ck2
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby Chapter Two on Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:43 am

r0ck1r0ck2 wrote:i'm drinking the 1st cup of tea using chapter two's method outlined above..

s'wonderful..

Hooray!

my question involves loose tea...

will the ball suffice..?

I'm a bit lost when it comes to loose tea, my friend. Been using bags since I was a nipper, being common and northern and all that. But some people will only use loose tea, so it's probably better really. I have no idea about the ball of which you speak.

and Builder's tea?

Builder's tea is very very strong tea. Strong enough to take the enamel off your teeth. That's what builders like, apparently.
Chapter Two
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Loretta on Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:38 am

i would use the ball method like, lets say myrrh in a church.

swing it in the cup of hot water.
What you talking bout. Most fast food automatically rules on a base level. Like pizza. And blowjobs.
Loretta
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby r0ck1r0ck2 on Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:44 pm

ah..

the update.

i'm thinking loose is cheaper..

and i swing it like myrrh in church in the pot..

hate waking up without it now...

completely addicted.
r0ck1r0ck2
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:34 pm

I make my tea one cup at a time, and I let it steep--covered--for 4-5 minutes.

I guess this makes me a builder.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby r0ck1r0ck2 on Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:41 pm

like you had any doubt.
r0ck1r0ck2
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby space junk on Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:15 am

A teabag will do if you're in a hurry, but it isn't a real cup of tea. Loose tea is cheaper, by the way.
space junk
kofi annan
kofi annan

Postby Bramble on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:57 am

I'm not British but my gramma (who raised me) was. Irish to be exact. She had tea and cakes ready for me when I got home from school everyday.

Here is how she made it. I don't know if this is a "traditional" way to make tea I just know she was really fussy about her tea and wouldn't drink it any other way.

You have to have a tea pot for this method. Gramma didn't brew a cup at a time and I have never had a single cup of tea brewed on its own that tasted this good.

Boil water in a kettle, put about 6 (twinnings) tea bags in a tea pot, pour the boiling water over the bags, steep for 2 to 3 minutes.

Take the tea bags out with a ladel or big spoon. While the bags are in the ladel wrap the strings around them and pull the ends tight. (This part is hard to put in words. Its sort of like wringing out a spounge without touching it) Then throw the tea bags away.

Mix milk and sugar in the bottom of a tea cup (if you take it) and pour the hot tea over the milk sugar mix. This is important, it doesn't taste the same if you put the tea in the cup first. I think the stupidos at dunkin doughnuts heard about this but got it asssbackward somehow. They put the teabag and the milk and the sugar in the cup before they even put hot water on the bag. The tea must be brewed first, then the milk and sugar go in the cup, then the tea is poured over it. Got it?

On holidays, when there was company and she new there would be a lot of people drinking tea over a long period of time, she would do the exact same thing except with more tea bags. And instead of using a tea pot she would make the tea in a clean (never used for coffe) coffe pot. After she took the tea bags out, she would put the pot on our extra coffe machine so it would stay hot. Mind you, she never used the coffe machine to brew the tea, just to keep it hot.
Bramble
utility man
utility man

Postby Ligh mo mhuceoil cléimhte on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:53 am

Two beautiful words - BARRY'S TEA

Mind you, it'll probably mean a trip to Ireland. Which, I'll point out to you Bramble, is NOT a British country! A free state since 1922! And proud!
Ligh mo mhuceoil cléimhte
cannon fodder
cannon fodder

Postby Jodi S. on Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:48 am

Ligh mo mhuceoil cléimhte wrote:Two beautiful words - BARRY'S TEA

Mind you, it'll probably mean a trip to Ireland. Which, I'll point out to you Bramble, is NOT a British country! A free state since 1922! And proud!

Nope.

I can buy Barry's in my local supermarket, and I definitely don't live in Ireland.

People often mistake me for Irish. Not sure why.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Re: Can Electrical Audio make a decent cup of tea??

Postby andrewmcnicholas on Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:36 am

steve albini made me a very good cup of tea while i was recording vocals its the tea that i assume he drinks all the time on a regular basis.
Andrew McNicholas
andrewmcnicholas
sister
sister

Postby bassman on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:09 pm

as an Irishman,i'm almost ashamed to say this...

but tetley's tea FTW!!!
"Keep it Country"
bassman
laney
laney

Postby bishopdante on Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:23 pm

Two methods:

Pot—

#1 : Firstly boil the old leftover water in the kettle, then pour the water into the teapot with no tea, and leave it for a while. This heats the teapot.

#2: Take fresh water, measured in cups, with an extra half cup to account for evaporation and absorbtion, and set that to boil.

#3: Get rid of existing water from the pre-heated teapot, quickly dry the teapot, and place a heaped tablespoon per cup of loose tea directly into the pot

#4: The second the water comes to the boil, into the teapot it goes. Hotter the better, when the electric kettle thermostat triggers, it's worth giving it a couple of seconds manual-overheating extra with the button held down. With the water in, give the teapot a quick stir, and put the lid on.

#5: after approx 4-6 mins brewing, employ a tea strainer when pouring the tea into the cup, to catch the leaves

Milk and sugar are conventionally added to the cup before the tea is put into the cup. This is merely a precaution, it makes no difference unless you're using china that may explode if exposed to very hot liquids.

Ideal serving method:

Small metal jug for milk, both white and brown sugar if loose in catering dispensers, sachets, small bowls or egg-cups, with a half-teaspoon miniature spoon, or if cubed simply placed mixed 50:50 into a small bowl or a spare cup. Cups have saucers, possibly with a biscuit placed on the edge. Whole thing goes on a tray. When I worked in studios as an assistant, that was my standard. No teapot in the cupboard... I'd insist on petty-cashing one.

______

Teabag & Mug:

#0: wash cup under hot tap to heat it.

#1: set water to boil using fresh water

#2: Throw teabag into dried empty cup

#3: the second it comes to the boil, fill the cup up to approx 1cm below the rim and allow to brew.

#4: Add milk / sugar to order. Milk is to be used very sparingly. If the recipient to is British, deliver with bag in, milk on the side and a spoon/saucer for bag removal, so that people can fish the bag out themselvea in order to have it exactly how they like it.

In order to deliver tea hot in mugs, with a long delivery distance one has to begin trasnporting it while it brews or it wIll arrive lukewarm and be cold before it's finished. After 1m of steeping, the tea is ready for milk/sugar/transport. Do not remove bag unless the tea delivery distance takes more than 4 minutes, in which case ask "bag in or bag out", if bag out, monitor the tea-brew in transit and chuck the bag en-route. Carry milk in plastic supermarket container and let clients add it themselves.

The ideal colours will depend upon the type of tea-leaf being used. Earl Grey (weak bourgeoise tea) will always brew pale, and has oil of bergamot in it. If you find that in the cupboard, give people the option, but do not default it. If that's all there is, serve with an apology.

With any sort of conventional english breakfast tea, you're looking for "nigerian sunset".

If it's past 1am and quitting to go to sleep is nowhere within sight, you're looking for "builder's tea", a full 8 minute brew with half an inch of milk applied to take the bitter off, colour code "Mr. Tea". No floating oil-slick tannin on top, but an ultra-robust caffeine content.

_________

Warning signs of bad tea:

Dark brown / tannin floating on top — over-brewed

Goes pale / yellowish — water was not hot enough

Pale with tannin floating on top - water was not fresh

_________

Not advised:

Emergency Tea:

Same as normal mug tea, but done in glasses, which may explode. This requires brewing a few extra insurance cups because you may lose some, and also requires some cooling time before the glasses can be handled.

Milk cannot be added, because the tea won't brew.

Prepared Emergency Tea:

Use a large bowl to do the brewing.

Shurat wrote:"The English do not know how to make a decent cup of coffee. You do not know how to make a decent cup of tea. It's a fair swap."

From booklet given to G.I.s going to Britain, 1942.

Info's out of date.

In 1942 you couldn't get real eggs, either. The ground coffee was months old and cut with anything up to 100% chicory.

Ever since the EU the Italians have schooled us. We have full-caliber coffee. None of that stewed filter bizness, barista espresso.

Avoid the nescafe instant granules. We do have some sources of terrible, terrible coffee here, most of the corporate coffe places are mediocre, but if you find a good place you can have it excellent, roasted on-site, organic etc.

According to the chinese, the way the english do their tea is completely perverted. Milk??! *black tea?!*.

Good green tea is a competely different thing and is hard to find outside china. The chinese drink it all, paying upwards of the equivalent of about $30 for a few hundred grams, so the green tea that goes for export at supermarket prices isn't the best.

The proper quality is dark green, rolled up in little balls which expand into whole leaves. I have only seen it in China, but it can probably be found from a good tea merchant.

Given the choice between proper chinese green stuff and british tea... it'd depend on the weather. There's a bigger caffeine hit in the british stuff, but the green is not at all bitter, can drink liters of it, and it's clearly got vitamins by the taste of it.

However, the Tibetans and Nepalese do a thing with yak butter and compressed-black-brick-tea which is probably where the brits got the adding dairy to fermented-black method from.

Chapter Two wrote:Did I mention the water temperature? No? Okay, this is important. The water MUST BE BOILING. Not boiled, not just boiled, not boiled twenty seconds ago. BOILING. If you don't get this part right, eveything else is pointless, you may as well go get a polystyrene cup from the burger van with the teabag soaked in the milk first. Scald the tea. The water poured upon the teabag must be BOILING.

The water must also be fresh, ie not previously boiled.

It is not ideal to have it procured from an espresso machine. Ordering tea from an italian-style coffee place in the UK, it will not be right due to the espresso machine water.

_________

bomberz1qr20 wrote:You can go to Electrical and suffer through a few cups of wonderful coffee.

My personal hierarchy of preference in caffeine sources is as follows:

#1: Good Espresso based coffee
#2: Mocha Pot coffee
#3: French Press coffee
#4: Good black tea / #2: Good green tea
(cold weather = british tea, warm weather = chinese "pearl" green tea)
#5: Cacao

below par:
#6: filter coffee
#7: instant coffee
#8: percolator coffee

only in emergencies:
#9: red bull / #6 coca cola

not even in an emergency, unless it's life or death motorway-driving:
#10: pepsi
#11: lipton
#12: mountain dew
#13: caffeinated chewing gum
#14: pro plus

Gibby wrote:Orwell was wrong. You can have sugar.

I'm with Orwell. You can have sugar, but for me... no sugar please. I get my calories from food — the nearest sugar gets to any hot drink I am consuming is a shortbread or digestive biscuit placed on the saucer.

Artificial sweeteners from a clicking plastic container are possibly the most appalling thing I've seen being put into coffee / tea.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Boombats on Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:16 pm

bishopdante wrote:Artificial sweeteners from a clicking plastic container are possibly the most appalling thing I've seen being put into coffee / tea.

To be fair, London was the first place I saw personal portable plastic dispensers of sweetener tablets, some time in the 80's. It might have been coincidence that I was there around that product's British debut, but I do associate the item with the location.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Redline on Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:30 pm

rob v wrote:
we have been working very hard on perfecting our cup of tea here at electrical. It has not hurt much that we have been surrounded by english girls for the past month
phpBB [media]
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Previous

Return to Intern's Corner