home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Intern's Corner Tip of the Day

Waste management tips, fly-on-the-wall tatics, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Intern's Corner Tip of the Day

Postby Intern_8033 on Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:59 am

When you've been in this business as long as I have, you develop an innate ability to efficiently respond to almost any problem that crosses your path. This forum was started to share that wealth of information, unfortunately people have been very shy about asking.
I decided to start this "Tip of the Day" thread, which will serve as my legacy long after I've passed. I've got so many tips just off the top of my head, I could go at this at least 8 days. If it keeps going, this thread will be published as the official Intern's Corner 2005 desk calendar. With one tip and one nude photo of myself per page, this will no doubt be the hot gift next holiday season for ladies of all shapes and sizes.

Tip of the Day:

Hey, don't throw away that old dish brush!
Ever had a case of the brown bristles? Those of you who know what I'm talking about are emphatically nodding in disgust right now, but for the uninitiated (thank your stars!), sometimes after cleaning many a coffee cups and pizza boxes, the bristles on the bottom of a dish brush stain brown. Don't throw it away, this tip saves the day! Take a cap full of bleach and mix it with about 2 inches of water in the sink. Allow the brush to soak for 30 minutes, and it's as good as new!

(How it Works)
Intern_8033
tj cloutier
tj cloutier

Postby Dylan on Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:33 am

Um, why are you cleaning pizza boxes? Is there a reward I'm not aware of?
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby Intern_8033 on Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:22 am

Tip of the Day:

Learn the names of band members.
You should always strive to make the customer feel at home -- what better way than to call them by their names? Sure, the guys might only pass by you in the halls a few times a day, but when that happens, stop what your doing and say, "Hello Dan!" (It doesn't have to be "Dan", it could be whatever their actual name is) This little bit of courtesy goes a long way towards relaxing the band so they can focus on what they're there to do: Make a sweet record!

P.S. take this advice with discretion. Say you are in the hallway to the kitchen and someone walks past. You can say "Hi (name)!", but then they might just be getting a glass of water and walking back past you again. Don't say "Hi (name)" again because that is socially awkward. Just like nod or smile, or maybe make a joke.
Intern_8033
tj cloutier
tj cloutier

Postby Intern_8033 on Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:35 pm

Tip of the Day:

Let the dishes fall where they may
Okay Napolean, so you've got a hot way of organizing dishes, utensils or other equipment that minimizes wasted space, increases accessibility and minimizes foot trafficing. But if it's too complicated for the client to understand, it will just confuse them and frustrate you and the other employees -- Bottom Line: The dishes won't get put back where they belong. The perfect intern finds the overlap between efficiency and understandability. Don't look at it as a compromise, rather a maximize.
Intern_8033
tj cloutier
tj cloutier

Postby greg on Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:02 am

Intern...
Intern...
Come on!
greg
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Intern_8033 on Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:51 pm

This quarter's "Intern's Corner Tip of the Day," brought to you by Stove Top Stuffing:

Cleanliness is a State of Mind

Alright Hot Shot, so you think you've really "polished" your cleaning skills? You've got a system that leaves the place spotless, day in, day out? Well I've got news for you -- unless you're keeping things "fresh" (colloquiolly speaking), no one, including you, will be impreshed. (I spelled "impressed" wrong to emphasize the rhyme and cadence of that sentence. The feel stands on it's own, I just spelled it wrong to make sure it didn't slip past anyone. "Keep it fresh or you won't impress(sh)")

What I mean is this: If the place is always clean, you will become desensitized to the concept of cleanliness and clean will no longer be exciting for you appreciated by others.

So, Andrew, how do you work yourself out of this pickle? The easy solution is to slack off on the cleaning some days and establish a clear dichotomy. But this is of low integrity.
A much more pleasant solution: Periodically rotate fragrances of your cleaning supplies. Last month I used unscented 409, and today I got lemon fresh 409 and I'm really having a good time. A room treated with this new, exotic smell stimulates me upon entrance, even hours after application.
Intern_8033
tj cloutier
tj cloutier

Postby J.Bennett on Thu May 22, 2008 7:01 pm

dude (intern_8033) what is it with you and cleaning ? lol

yeh give me some tips on how to record drums how was the recording experience for you?

can you get me any internships ? pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

what other recording tips and tricks did you learn thanks for doing this on the forum

James
J.Bennett

Postby Blackdiscoball on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:04 pm

these are great, keep them coming!
Blackdiscoball

Postby kerble on Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:27 am

guys, these are from four years ago. Intern_8033 is no longer an intern at Electrical.

however, in the end, it turns out the intern was really us, all along....
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Re: Intern's Corner Tip of the Day

Postby havet on Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:31 am

For this i just want to share a quote of a great leader as he said "I never saw a better admonisher than the grave, or anything more satisfying than a book, or anything safer than lack of socialization."
havet

Return to Intern's Corner