home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Tipping the interns.

Waste management tips, fly-on-the-wall tatics, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Tipping the interns.

Postby John Houlihan on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:50 pm

Tipping the interns. Expected? Accepted? Frowned upon?

-Curious in Daytona Beach
John Houlihan
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Re: Tipping the interns.

Postby Dominique D'Amico on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:48 pm

Re: Tipping the interns:

creepy, would not accept.
Dominique D'Amico
pom pom
pom pom

Postby Dominique D'Amico on Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:54 pm

revisiting this topic: I just spoke to a friend who interns at CRC. He said he gets tips all the time and that it is totally acceptable. I would feel weird. Not that its creepy to offer. I would just feel creepy accepting.
Dominique D'Amico
pom pom
pom pom

Postby AdamPee on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:58 am

The interns, just tip them with whatever awful idea comes to your head. Next time you're recording with interns, throw a tantrum over the temperature of your coffee, or start making sexual advances towards sound equipment.

You'll be tipping them with experience.
The Boss wrote:Ever have eighteen Grammy awards shoved up your ass?
AdamPee
complete piece of shit
complete piece of shit

Postby blue_thunder on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:16 am

For the lady interns, I give 'em the tip and the shaft!!! Come on, somebody had to say it.
blue_thunder
renegade cop
renegade cop

Postby Dominique D'Amico on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:51 pm

UPDATE!!!

There has been a single crisp dollar bill sitting on the table in the upstairs lounge for at least a week. I don't know if its supposed to be a tip or not. All of us interns are avoiding it like its infected with bird flu. We're actually cleaning around it.
Dominique D'Amico
pom pom
pom pom

Postby sonicdeath on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:52 pm

I once had a boss who always left $20 bills sitting around. Seemed odd and stupid to me.

After about 6 months, my boss told me he kept a hidden camera on his random bills. Just so he could find people he could trust. He then gave me $50 to keep my mouth shut about the cameras and after work we went out for beers.

I saw a lot of people get fired over $20. I still look up to him when thinking of my own business. Dont Fuck with what is not yours, gain the trust of you bosses and peers.

A Dollar sitting around, is a really weird Vibe. Just mind your own, and keep your hands clean.
"And in the end, we will all fall like broken angels."

SonicDeath...
sonicdeath
marshall
marshall

Postby steve on Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:21 am

You know what, if you find a dollar and nobody claims it, go ahead and pocket it. Ask around first, that's all.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby DregsInTheCrowd on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:39 am

When I was interning, somebody gave me ten bucks. I don't remember who it was. I felt weird about it, so at first I politely declined. Dude offered again.

Me: "I appreciate it, but that's too much, and I shouldn't. Thanks though!"
Dude: "Buy yourself lunch or something. You've been making us coffee all week."
Me: "Well, alright. Thank you very much. Is there anything else you guys need at present?"

In that situation, I felt OK because it was a show of gratitude. I think when you get three adamant offers in one sitting, it becomes acceptable. I've done my honest best to give the person an opportunity to keep their money. Whenever it's happened to me at any job, I've declined, because I'm already being compensated in some way (as an intern, I was being compensated in experience and sometimes lunch), and I don't need to receive extra money for doing something that is just part of the job. When somebody insists more than a couple times because they have some sort of special appreciation for something you've done, go ahead. That person is trying to do something nice for you. I think I would have felt VERY uncomfortable if I were offered tips for every service I performed for a client, as though I were a bellhop or something.
My name is Mike, and I play music in Stripper Deville.
DregsInTheCrowd
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby SecondEdition on Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:54 am

You could always give the interns your tip. I hear David Letterman does it all the time.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby steve on Tue May 18, 2010 2:12 am

sonicdeath wrote:I once had a boss who always left $20 bills sitting around. Seemed odd and stupid to me.

After about 6 months, my boss told me he kept a hidden camera on his random bills. Just so he could find people he could trust. He then gave me $50 to keep my mouth shut about the cameras and after work we went out for beers.

I saw a lot of people get fired over $20. I still look up to him when thinking of my own business. Dont Fuck with what is not yours, gain the trust of you bosses and peers.

A Dollar sitting around, is a really weird Vibe. Just mind your own, and keep your hands clean.

Your boss sounds like a cock and a creep. Fuck him and his employee espionage.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Tom on Tue May 18, 2010 7:06 am

I haven't been an intern in a while, but some old lady came into my bookstore a couple of weeks ago and gave me a five (5) dollar tip for getting her a 7.99 dictionary. I of course refused, but she left it on the counter.

Was she propositioning me?
Tom
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby yaledelay on Tue May 18, 2010 8:44 am

Tom wrote:I haven't been an intern in a while, but some old lady came into my bookstore a couple of weeks ago and gave me a five (5) dollar tip for getting her a 7.99 dictionary. I of course refused, but she left it on the counter.

Yes, that old lady needed some fine fine Tom lovin.
yaledelay
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Boombats on Tue May 18, 2010 11:26 am

yaledelay wrote:
Tom wrote:I haven't been an intern in a while, but some old lady came into my bookstore a couple of weeks ago and gave me a five (5) dollar tip for getting her a 7.99 dictionary. I of course refused, but she left it on the counter.

Yes, that old lady needed some fine fine Tom lovin.

Surely that's worth more than a fiver
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Matfei on Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:49 pm

I haven't been offered and I would find it pretty weird. Most clients I find are so surprised at the level of our service that their "Oh, you're getting things for me..? Holy crap dude, thanks!!" is usually enough.
Matfei

Postby pymm on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:37 pm

blue_thunder wrote:For the lady interns, I give 'em the tip and the shaft!!! Come on, somebody had to say it.

I've always heard it as.. "Tip? You can have the whole thing... Oh!"
g.r.e.g-
pymm
linus from peanuts
linus from peanuts

Postby WMFS on Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:34 pm

sonicdeath wrote:I once had a boss who always left $20 bills sitting around. Seemed odd and stupid to me.

So instead of imparting the importance of trust your boss intentionally sets people up for failure and then decides the fate of their future because of it?

steve wrote:Your boss sounds like a cock and a creep. Fuck him and his employee espionage.
Baltimore Orioles fan and should be respected as such.
numberthirty
W -
Quit trying to take a vampire to watch the damn sun come up.
WMFS
howard lederer
howard lederer

Postby rippy on Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:40 pm

I feel like its totally subjective and situational. I denied the tip the first couple times it happened to me and it was the right choice. Although recently, I worked with someone who would be considered a "rock star". When I said I couldn't accept his tip (which was quite a hefty amount) he was fairly upset and made a point to say something to the owner about it. Just have some common sense and use your best judgement.
If your looking for a definitive answer though. Say thank you and graciously deny acceptance. Generally the right answer in my experience.
rippy

Postby the finger genius on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:22 pm

This was over a decade ago, but when I last assisted / interned (not at EA) the best thing an artist / engineer could do to show appreciation was to buy us lunch or dinner. Bonus points for inviting the intern to sit and eat with you.
jimmy two hands wrote:Then we all log off internet and eat nachos. All is well.

Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death
the finger genius
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Return to Intern's Corner