home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Analog in the Twin Cities?

Waste management tips, fly-on-the-wall tatics, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Analog in the Twin Cities?

Postby MtHrtAttack on Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:19 pm

So I've been searching for a studio in the Twin Cities area that does at least some analog recording (even if they are primarily a digital studio) since it doesn't seem like there's a purely analog studio in the area... however it doesn't seem like a studio exists here that does at least some analog. I know Sacred Heart is in Duluth, and Sparta Sound is in Eveleth, but I don't know of any around the TC... can someone help me out?
MtHrtAttack
carrot top
carrot top

Re: Analog in the Twin Cities?

Postby zom-zom on Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:07 am

I know of several but here's where I'd go if you wanted analogue:

Ed Ackerson's Flowers Studio:
http://www.susstones.com/flowers/

The Terrarium:
http://the-terrarium.com/

These are two I'd recommend.. I know the guys that run them and they're good people.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby MtHrtAttack on Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:58 pm

Cool, thanks a lot! I'm not actually looking to record anything at the moment in a studio, I'm actually looking for an internship at a studio that does analog. Rich Mattson from Sparta Sound told me about Mike Wisti's Albatross Studio and Tom Herbers as well, although I believe I've tried to get in touch with Tom before and I never heard anything back. I've looked up a couple others online (Essential Sessions, Sound Gallery, The Old Blackberry Way), so I think I'm gonna try and make do with those.
MtHrtAttack
carrot top
carrot top

Postby stewie on Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:12 am

You could always hang out with Prince at Paisley Park. I hear he likes the color purple.
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby zom-zom on Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:42 am

Internships.. good luck with that. We get tons of requests for them.

My suggestion: Compose a decent letter or email if you're sending a résumé. Most of the emails I get I immediately delete as they frequently read like this actual quote:

"I was wondering if you have any open spots for internship, or if you are doing an internship program? If so I'm very interested. "

No greeting. That was it accompanied by the usual lousy CV. You have to be engaging and make it sound like you would be useful to have around. I know Tom, not sure if he still has a studio as he had to move out of the building a couple of years ago.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby MtHrtAttack on Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:42 am

zom-zom wrote:Internships.. good luck with that. We get tons of requests for them.

My suggestion: Compose a decent letter or email if you're sending a résumé. Most of the emails I get I immediately delete as they frequently read like this actual quote:

"I was wondering if you have any open spots for internship, or if you are doing an internship program? If so I'm very interested. "

No greeting. That was it accompanied by the usual lousy CV. You have to be engaging and make it sound like you would be useful to have around. I know Tom, not sure if he still has a studio as he had to move out of the building a couple of years ago.

Thanks! I didn't really have any luck getting ahold of Tom Herbers by phone, but I'll try and send him an e-mail, and if I don't hear anything, whatever. I also found out recently he had to close out Third Ear in '07, which I guess is why he had to move out of the building. However, I sent a rather long e-mail amendment to Ed at Flowers (I didn't know it was going to him at the time, I didn't see any staff listings on the site) after I noticed they had an internship section and I was too busy today preparing for a weekend traveling with the fambly, but Ed told me to check back next week about an interview. I'm taking this pretty seriously, but got any tips/advice?
MtHrtAttack
carrot top
carrot top

Return to Intern's Corner