home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Electrical Audio Urban Beautification Project

Waste management tips, fly-on-the-wall tatics, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Electrical Audio Urban Beautification Project

Postby Dominique D'Amico on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:05 pm

also like I said, that pepper plant is perennial and will keep producing peppers for years if you move it indoors in the winter. If you transplant it into a ten gallon bucket instead of the ground you could easily move it.
Dominique D'Amico
pom pom
pom pom

Postby Dominique D'Amico on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:27 pm

Sorry JSP OMT:

re: direct light

You may be getting direct light from those windows because they face east. The glass bricks aren't going to filter the light much. Although, That condo next door is really close. It probably blocks the morning light. By the time the sun gets over the condoits probably over head and can't come directly through the window. Direct light comes from the east and west, and a bit from the south at our latitude. The safest bet for indirect light is a north facing window.
Dominique D'Amico
pom pom
pom pom

Postby spacebar on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:07 pm

Thanks, Dominique... I like the bucket idea.

This week -

(ABOVE) - Radishes all grew and 1 watermelon.

(ABOVE) - Nothing at all in Jiffy Greenhouse #2. Maybe next week.

(ABOVE) Awesome. The peas grow really fast it seems. That's all for this week.

PS - the pictures never line up right. I need a new phone :evil:
spacebar
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby Dominique D'Amico on Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:20 pm

Yeah, those peas are doing great! That one in the pot is already sending out feelers. Its gonna need some kind of support soon, like a pole to climb. Nothing fancy just something strong enough to hold its weight when it starts blooming. It will wrap its feelers around anything it comes in contact with even other plants.
Dominique D'Amico
pom pom
pom pom

Postby DregsInTheCrowd on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:43 am

Jon, I'm not sure how you did it, but the peppers you gave me back in October were very flavorful and particularly hot. Good job.

Have I mentioned that we should do a cooking thing some time? It's almost warm enough to start firing up the smoker, and I discovered the secrets to perfectly smoking a pig last summer.
My name is Mike, and I play music in Stripper Deville.
DregsInTheCrowd
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby Dominique D'Amico on Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:12 pm

I hate to be the one to tell you this... Mandala ate your big pea plant, bit it right in half. I came in to the laundry room a second too late. I'm sorry :|
Dominique D'Amico
pom pom
pom pom

Postby spacebar on Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:50 pm

So last week instead of making an update, I pouted because the kitties played with the seedlings, consequently killing some of them (kitties will be kitties).

No, I don't want to talk about it.

So between the two Jiffy greenhouses, I salvaged 12 seedlings. Not bad. Onions, radishes, a watermelon, and a pepper plant survived. So I transplanted those to my little Jiffy planters (they are easy to transplant outdoors) and started 24 more little seedlings:

- Green Beans
- Pumpkins (why not, right?)
- more Bell Peppers
- Jalapeños

Oh, and I has a bucket for transplanting last year's bell pepper plant (thanks for the suggestion, please see above). I'm waiting till next week to get the dirt, seeing as how it snowed this morning. Also on the docket for next seedling excursion, basil and catnip.

Meanwhile, please enjoy this slideshow of plants on windowsills far away from the kitties:

(ABOVE) don't worry, the peas will get stronger.

spacebar
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby Dominique D'Amico on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:31 am

I saw the pepper plant in its bucket today. Looks good. Keep in mind that peppers like well drained soil. Don't water it again until the soil gets pretty dry. Like, if you stick your finger in the soil up to the big knuckle and its dry that far down, then water it. And after you water it, empty the tray underneath. Peppers don't like to have their "feet wet" too much water gives them root rot. I may move it outside today to get direct sun for an hour or two depending on how warm it gets.
Dominique D'Amico
pom pom
pom pom

Postby spacebar on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:24 am

It's strange - the onions, which were crazy-strong, died after I put them in a bigger planter. It's not like I touched the roots or anything. They just all withered and died. Meh.

Carrots are sprouting, as well as my peppers. The bell peppers are very slow-growing as seedlings, though. Also, the pumpkin seeds exploded after week 1 - like grew-five-inches-in-a-week kind of exploded. Awesome. Another month and I can move these babies outside without risk of frost.

The old basil plant (from last year) is still kicking. It grew a lot over the last few weeks and, well, smells like fresh basil. so happy, old basil plant. you are doing so well!

I should turn over the soil out back soon. after it warms up a little more.

I have pictures, but the computer I'm on isn't equipped for me to connect my cameraphone to it. Hopefully later or something.
spacebar
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby DregsInTheCrowd on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:39 pm

Jon, you've inspired me. I might plant some tomatoes at my place. Wouldn't that be great? Fresh Logan Square tomatoes?
My name is Mike, and I play music in Stripper Deville.
DregsInTheCrowd
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby noise&light on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:10 am

I'm going to be (finally) starting my herb garden this weekend with those Jiffy pots that you recommended. I hope that it's not too late in the season for me.

Seems like herbs are the best way for a novice like me to get started but I might get inspired once I get to Home Depot and buy more seeds. We'll see. What is the heartiest plant you can recommend?
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby kerble on Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:41 am

I had a lot of luck with cilantro, those things grew really tall and full. same with basil, mint. chilies were good and easy, too. we grew that next to some (tomato? it was a long time ago) and it spiced them a bit.

my landlady grew some basil that has a hint of chocolate in them. really subtle, but great to just snap off and eat.

by the way, JonSan, nice work on the garden. it made me envious for my own little plot of land.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby spacebar on Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:38 pm

Thanks, Faiz. I hope more of this stuff grows.

The one thing about the jiffy seedlings that I noticed was that some of the smaller plants (onions mainly) just died after getting too big. I wonder if it's because of the netting on the smaller jiffy pellets is stronger than advertised and the roots just can't get out? Not sure, but I'm going to break up the netting from now on.

Yesterday was transplant day - I turned over soil 10-12" deep yesterday before the rain got bad, mixed them with peat moss and moved the following seedlings:

- 6x Bell Pepper
- 5x Jalapeño
- 4x Carrot
- 4x Pumpkin
- 1x Pea
- 1x (dying) radish

Then I sprinkled (and re-sprinkled) cayenne pepper all over the garden, hopefully keeping animals from eating/shitting on the plants.

As you can see, I only turned over half of the soil. I ran out of peat moss. I'll do the other half this week. Also I have markers over each plant. Hopefully this will deter the neighbors from allowing their pets to shit all over the garden. If not, the pepper will.

Also, it should be noted that digging in a plot this size in a navy blue jumpsuit while it's raining out makes the neighbors uneasy. Also, I got "my name is mud" stuck in my head whilst digging.

Inside, I started 6 "summer harvest basil" seedlings, 6 "cinnamon basil" seedlings, 6 parsley seedlings and 6 rosemary seedlings. I also potted Catnip, Cinnamon Basil and Rosemary plants for indoor summer growing.
spacebar
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby spacebar on Mon May 18, 2009 12:23 pm

No pictures. sorry!

So over the last few weeks, I potted a bunch of healthy looking basil and parsley seedlings.

1 parsley seedling and about 4 basil seedlings survived. The rosemary is still growing.

Started more onion seedlings and sage I think. Fingers crossed.

Also, I transplanted "old man basil" into a bigger pot. That plant is kicking ass and getting bigger daily. So nice!

Outside, two pumpkin plants and 4 Bell Pepper plants survived. Carrots dead. Radishes dead. Peas dead. WTF, all of the Jalapenos died! Seriously, WTF? OK OK so the weather has been on the cold and erratic side. But still, WTF!

I went to work on all of the remaining soil I didn't really work on last year. Removed probably 400 pounds of rock and concrete, turned over the soil and mixed in peat moss. Now that I went to the touble, I found out you can buy compost manure at Jewel. WTF! I had no idea it was readily available. I thought I had to have rural friends for this sort of thing. Next year I'm gonna lasagna garden the shit out of that plot in back. Till then, at least the soil is in better condition than last year!

Also, I concocted the JSP Black Label All Purpose Pe(s)t Deterrant Spray. Thanks to the internet, I blended:
- A small onion
- A thing of garlic
- A hefty TBSP of Cayenne Pepper
- A heaping cup of hot peppers
- 4 cups of water (i think... maybe more?)
- 1 TSP of Dawn.

The surviving plants have been free of holes and dogshit, so it works, I guess.

Out of town this upcoming weekend. When I get back, I'm going to plant most of the seedlings into the newer, fancier soil and start more peppers and maybe start the carrots again.

Also, pictures soon!
spacebar
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby spacebar on Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:18 am

Oh, Cripes! I have waited a while before posting again.

The good news is that everything I've transplanted in the last month has survived in the plot out back (we'll see about the peas, though...)

Outside:

-2 Cinnamon Basil.
-1 Summerlong Basil.
-2 MASSIVE Pumpkin vines - soon to blossom.
-roughly 6 Bell Pepper plants.
-roughly 6 jalapeño plants.
-1 Pea plant.
-1 Parsley plant.
-the bucket with last year's bell pepper plant. I don't know why, but it's not really doing so good.

Not bad. Rosemary and Sage just won't grow around me yet. I don't know what the deal is.

INSIDE:

-Old Man Basil - what a champ! He's huge.
-a carrot seedling
-a second basil plant (not really doing much of anything. just hanging out, really).
-Parsley
-Some seedling I did not label... not sure what it is.
-Catnip... just starting to blossom... this could be good. Never seen it thrive, so I'm not sure yet.

Will likely transplant the carrots soon. Not sure if I should start any more seedlings or just concentrate on what's out there. A little late in the season to grow much of anything else.

Pictures to come. As soon as I can get them off my phone.
spacebar
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby spacebar on Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:12 pm

OK,

Lotsa pictures today.

For starts, I transplanted almost everything outside (less a basil and parsley plant). It's getting hard to keep track of! how nice!

I am watering all of this stuff once a week with a water/Miracle Gro mixture. Seems to be helping out. Because Old Man Basil is doing bad, I am trying to keep a more watchful eye on him.

BELOW: "Bucket" Bell Pepper plant... some blossoms, tiny tiny pepper growth. Hopefully they will develop in the next few weeks.

BELOW: Parsley - Hell yes! I still have one indoors and it's not hardly doing anything. This one seems to really be taking off. I thought because it spends so much time in the sun it would be too much, but it's plenty healthy.

BELOW: "Old Man Basil" - yeah, he is not doing well at all. We put him outside in hopes he would grow bigger and stronger. BUT, he was an indoor plant and lasted a year longer than he should have in the first place. So sorry, Old Man Basil! You probably will not survive August!

BELOW: Look closely and you will see a green pepper plant hidden in the pumpkins. A little something I learned about pumpkin plants: They are total assholes, man. They take up space, they're prickley, they overshadow all of my pepper and basil plants, and they have these little feelers. The little feelers are strangling all of my other plants! So basically my job over the last several weekends is to cut off any limbs that pose a threat to all of my other plants, herbs, spices, whatever. I'm glad they're growing so well, but they need back the fuck off of my peppers.

BELOW: My little Alaskan Snow Peas! They are growing pods! I thought these guys were gonners, but there's a maple next to them providing enough shade - I counted about 6 pods - which aren't lots and lots, but pretty good for a plant that was next to impossible to grow for me.

... wide shot of pea plant...

BELOW: I have three of these little infant pumpkins - I'm excited they're growing. The whole lot is covered by what was a mere TWO seedlings. There are probably 2 dozen blossoms at present - the male blossoms are great if you stuff them and prepare them like ravioli. These things attract bees like mad-crazy. Also there is this huge stinging insect... not sure what it is, but imagine if a hornet and a pontoon boat had a baby - it would look like this nasty blossom-hopper.

The plant/vine is taking up the entire patch of dirt, which is both good and bad. Because it's prickley, it protects all of the other plants in the garden from harm to a certain extent. But it also borders being out of control, and I spend most of my time in the garden pruining it or dragging it off of the neighbor's driveway. Maybe next year I'll grow squash instead? Same idea, just smaller. Thoughts?

3 PICTURES BELOW: I also spotted these little guys under some dead pumkin leaves. I don't know if the dead parts of the plants triggered the growth, or if the fungus killed part of the pumpkin vines? I'll have to keep an eye out.

...can anybody figure out exactly what kind of mushrooms these are? Are they toxic? Edible? Will they re-grow? Are they good for the garden? Bad? Indifferent?

IN SUM, I'm happy, there's been a lot more growth this summer than last. Just a few more weeks and the peppers will blossom. Then JSP does his happy dance.
spacebar
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby spacebar on Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:41 am

Somebody snathced my prized pumpkin from the garden last night.

I am out for blood.
spacebar
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby kerble on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:18 pm

Jon, that sucks. people are dicks.

you should put an electrified fence around it next year.
maybe hire a sniper.
kerble is right.
kerble

Postby r0ck1r0ck2 on Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:42 pm

kerble wrote:Jon, that sucks. people are dicks.

i'm with this.
that's no joke.
dontfeartheringo wrote:Really, all of these sports are pussy sports compared to the incredibly grueling game of being Morrissey.
r0ck1r0ck2
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby kerble on Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:41 pm

r0ck1r0ck2 wrote:
kerble wrote:Jon, that sucks. people are dicks.

i'm with this.
that's no joke.

Electrified Audio Beautification project.
kerble is right.
kerble

PreviousNext

Return to Intern's Corner