home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Electrical Audio Urban Beautification Project

Waste management tips, fly-on-the-wall tatics, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Electrical Audio Urban Beautification Project

Postby 2207 on Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:19 pm

Dominique D'Amico wrote:also like I said, that pepper plant is perennial and will keep producing peppers for years if you move it indoors in the winter. If you transplant it into a ten gallon bucket instead of the ground you could easily move it.

Interesting. Do you need to cut it back in the winter?
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby spacebar on Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:35 pm

Wrapping up last season:

Pumpkins are out this year. The vines are way too uncontrollable and people are just going to steal them anyway. I WILL plant squash, though. Should be a little easier to take care of them.

The plants that I moved inside are either barely alive or straight dead. The stairwell I keep them in (where sun comes in but cats do not) isn't temperature-controlled, so there's a chance they got too cold this winter. We'll see in the next few weeks if they get healthier.

Parsley was this year's champ... survived and flourished all winter long. so nice. Catnip has been healthy as well.

And now, on to the 2010 growing year:

Went supply shopping yesterday and started a spreadsheet laying out when I should plant and transplant everything. Should help for overall efficiency this year.

I am planting onion, rosemary and pea seeds today in the Jiffy greenhouse. I didn't realize it, but these guys aren't as sensitive to frost, so I should be able to plant them early.
spacebar
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby spacebar on Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:15 pm

Not a whole lot new this weekend. 2 Onion seedlings and 3 Alaskan Snow Peas went outside.

I also turned over some soil.

Next week I'll pick out some broken glass, weeds and cigarette butts.
spacebar
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby spacebar on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:46 am

I discovered on Saturday that there are turds where my Alaskan snow peas and onions used to be. Sadly, there is no practical remedy, since i can't put up a fence (neighbor's car door would hit it) or put up a sign (which would almost guarantee the garden gets fucked with). I will just have to be more diligent about using the anti-critter spray, I suppose.

Started radish, squash, sage, spearmint and more basil seedlings.
spacebar
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby Jim on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:08 pm

spacebar wrote:Wrapping up last season:
...Catnip has been healthy as well...

What kind of catnip is it? We've had no luck over here with that.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim
david schwimmer
david schwimmer

Postby spacebar on Sun May 09, 2010 1:43 pm

Jim wrote:What kind of catnip is it? We've had no luck over here with that.

I looked around, and I can't find the envelope, so I have no idea (sorry!). If it helps, here's a picture:

As you can see, it's not doing anything special. It's just not dying. Guessing it should flower in the next month, but again... not sure till it happens.

---

Made a new batch of "JSP's Black Label Pest Control Spray for Garden". Not sure if this has any major effect, but I found these ivory-colored Hungarian hot peppers, so I added one into the mix, just because it looked like something to be afraid of. Forgot about the Cayenne pepper until the last second. All I could find was Chili Powder. A slightly different batch, but pretty similar I think. It stunk up the kitchen and if I got too close it burned my throat as I breathed in. Should keep away little animals (or "learn 'em" not to eat in my garden). I should know soon if that'll get the job done.

I have Sage, Spearmint and Rosemary seedlings. These three are all really weak looking, so I'm keeping a close eye on them. I spoke to a guest engineer with a greener thumb than mine a few weeks ago, and he suggested I ease up on the amount of water I was giving the Sage and Rosemary. Seems they're doing better than they have in years past, so valuable advice so far (thanks!).

I am starting to see sprouts from a new wave of Parsley, Bell and Jalapeño peppers, and more Basil. Also, the squash seedlings I planted earlier didn't make it, so I have two more of them. With any luck, these will all find their way outside within the next two weeks.

Added Miracle Gro spikes to all of my potted seedlings. I might use some of the Miracle Gro water mix on the Jiffy greenouse seedlings next week, too.
spacebar
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby spacebar on Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:46 pm

Transplanted basil, jalapeño, parsley, spearmint and squash a few weeks ago with the help of intern Tyler. Nothing lived past Memorial day weekend except for the squash. Well, the parsley might rebound, but nothing else made it. Solution? Off to the Logan Square Farmers Market for seedlings, which ended up being 10 times the size of anything I planted anyway.

I picked up three kinds of hot peppers and a rosemary bush. This time I put the peppers in dirt buckets in hopes that critters won't get to them as easily. Rosemary is in the plot with the squash. Again, with help from intern Tyler.

Pics pre-transplant below:

Also, started more seedlings for bell peppers, basil, parsley and spearmint. I hope they actually make it. If not, well, another trip out to buy seedlings...
spacebar
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby Jim on Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:42 am

spacebar wrote:
Jim wrote:What kind of catnip is it? We've had no luck over here with that.

I looked around, and I can't find the envelope, so I have no idea (sorry!). If it helps, here's a picture:

As you can see, it's not doing anything special. It's just not dying. Guessing it should flower in the next month, but again... not sure till it happens.

Thanks for looking for me!
Jim
david schwimmer
david schwimmer

Postby DregsInTheCrowd on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:31 pm

Jon, does your rosemary ever develop a coating of whitish powdery stuff on it? Mine has a coating of white powdery stuff all over it. Does this mean it's germinating or something? Is it dying or diseased? What is your secret for beautiful, fresh herbs?
My name is Mike, and I play music in Stripper Deville.
DregsInTheCrowd
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby spacebar on Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:00 pm

DregsInTheCrowd - I don't have that going on, but the internet seems to think it's not good - PM'ed you what I found!

The farmer's market peppers are kicking ass. I transplanted them out of the bucket and into the plot this afternoon. I think I'm going to start using the buckets to grow the more vulnerable plants / plants not strong enough to withstand critters in small doses.

They are a little droopy and likely will for a day or two until they are used to their new home, but here are pictures:

Also, I didn't plant it, but it appears that Summerlong Basil from last year managed to grow all by itself, which filled me with glee. Picture below:

I went to the Daley Plaza farmer's market and picked up new parsley (Old Man Parsley didn't survive the last critter feast).

Also from the DPFM was this Mint seedling (picture below):

The squash, as I hoped, isn't nearly as crazy in growth as the pumpkins from last year. It's already starting to blossom (picture below):

I also moved some of the Cinnamon Basil and in-house Parsley seedlings (intern Tyler helped me plant the seeds for these) into smaller pots. It took an extra month to get this stuff started, but finally there's some progress.
spacebar
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby spacebar on Sun May 29, 2011 5:15 pm

Hooray! It’s garden time again.

Looking back to last year, I actually had great luck with my seedlings. The rosemary was plentiful, the basil kicked ass and all of the pepper seedlings gave us more peppers than we knew what to do with. We had enough left over in the fall that Intern Charlie and I pickled 4 or 5 jars worth of sweet peppers, jalapeños and Thai Hot peppers. I took lots of pictures. Then, I didn’t back them up anywhere. Then, my phone blew up. Specifically, somebody sent a spam email to a good 15,000+ people on behalf of an email address I had in the middle of the night. Didn’t hack my account, mind you. They just used my email as a return address. So after about the fourteen-thousandth email, my phone had a “soft implode” and could only say “DROOOOOID!” over and over until I did a factory reset. But trust me, the harvest was fantastic.

So, let’s start this season off by introducing the seedlings:

Tarragon (they didn’t have any rosemary the day I went shopping for seedlings - this’ll do):

Oregano:

‘bitty onions:

Basil:

Broad Leaf Basil:

Mini Bell Peppers:

Hungarian Lightning Peppers:

Jalapeños:

Thai Hot Peppers:

Old Man Parsley survived the winter, and he’s going outside for the summer:

Sage - what a hard-ass! Old Man Sage survived the whole winter (with the blizzard, let’s not forget) outside in a bucket. Totally gristle:

Mint - I did not plant this! It just showed up! So nice!

And here’s a shot of everything after I pulled up weeds and transplanted all of the little seedlings (and Old Man plants):

This happened last week. So far all of the seedlings are doing well, but not enough growth for new pictures (plus it’s rainy and gross out).

More soon! For real this time!
spacebar
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby Rog on Mon May 30, 2011 10:28 am

spacebar wrote:Tarragon (they didn’t have any rosemary the day I went shopping for seedlings - this’ll do)

That'll do? I'm not ready to agree with your assessment.

Hungarian Lightning Peppers

Is this an excercise from BRW's WOD list?

I'm looking forward to future updates, Weekend Guy.
Roger Ewalt
Arch-Druid
Wisconsin Lunker League
Rog
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby kevinhein on Tue May 31, 2011 11:51 am

The garden is looking pretty good so far, Jon. Do you have any cilantro back there?
kevinhein
jock
jock

Postby spacebar on Tue May 31, 2011 9:54 pm

Rog wrote:

Good Call, Rog. Neither is the Rosemary Fairy. I found this a few minutes ago when I went to check on the plants:

I was glad to find this, as I was thinking for a few days that I should really go find Rosemary somewhere.

Hungarian Lightning Peppers

Rog wrote:Is this an excercise from BRW's WOD list?

Not this time, it's what the people at the Kilbourn Park seedling sale called it.

Kevin - I don't have any cilantro back there yet. I may add some, as Old Man Parsley is not taking to the great outdoors very well, I may go for another couple-a seedlings this weekend. Plus I just heard the Logan Square market is happening this year after all, and they usually have fun garden-y stuff to look at/buy.
spacebar
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby Rog on Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:30 am

spacebar wrote:
Rog wrote:

Good Call, Rog. Neither is the Rosemary Fairy. I found this a few minutes ago went to check on the plants...

Albini Claus?
Roger Ewalt
Arch-Druid
Wisconsin Lunker League
Rog

Postby spacebar on Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:28 pm

Up until last week, there hasn’t been a lot of major growth in the garden. Most of the notable changes back there have been a mixture of nature and random passers-by crapping on the garden in one form or another. No dog poo yet, but something ate all of the leaves off of the Hungarian pepper seedling. Then, the Rosemary tree (which Steve so nicely acquired and planted) just died. The amount of water and sun were the same as last year, and it was quite healthy for about a week. Then it just turned brown. This made us all very sad, so I went to the Logan Square market and found replacements. So, with a new Hungarian Wax Pepper and a new Rosemary (and while I was out I grabbed a Chili Pepper seedling), we’re back to normal.

So that’s the first round of garden “issues”.

Round two: that big hail storm a few weeks ago. Strangely, the hail missed the block I live on, but seemed to throw down all over the rest of the city, including the studio. A handful of plants looked a little rough, but the jalapeno really took a beating by the hail. By the time I got a look at it, there were maybe two leaves left. But it’s starting to re-grow, so I think the jalapenos will survive (picture below):

Round three: WTF with this sand in the garden?

I mean, I don't know how it got there, but there it is. I picked up a handful to examine it. I was itchy for a day-and-a-half, so it doesn’t seem like something I want to keep there. It seems to be this weird fiber-glassy probably bad-for-a-garden sand. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised when something like this ends up in the garden. But I am.

Progress in a moment. First, please enjoy this picture of Basil gone wild (mint is in the far back, oregano has the orange flag, everything else is basil):

Last year, one or two little basils sprouted up from the garden all by themselves. This year, there are probably a dozen little basil bushes throughout the garden. It’s not like we need that much basil, but I think it’s so cool it keeps growing all by itself year after year. So many basils!

The pepper plants are all starting to blossom, and that means real peppers soon. I can’t wait. Onions, Parsley, Sage, New Rosemary, Oregano, they’re all noticeably bigger now. And everything seems to be healthy (well, the broad-leaf basil seems to get wilty, but I’m trying to keep it hydrated more frequently). And again, there’s basil-a-plenty. I can’t put my finger on exactly why, but I think basil growing itself is rad as hell.

Some various pics from yesterday below:
(onion above)

(parsley above)

(rosemary above)

(basil above)

(oregano and wild basil above)

(tarragon and wild basil above)

(mini bell pepper and WTF sand above)

Oh, and I pulled a huge pile of weeds - these populated the garden in a single week:
spacebar
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby Rog on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:32 pm

Re: The setbacks - Keep fighting the good fight, JSP.

the Rosemary tree (which Steve so nicely acquired and planted)

Am I G.D. psychic or what?
Roger Ewalt
Arch-Druid
Wisconsin Lunker League
Rog

Postby chad on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:27 pm

spacebar wrote:Somebody snathced my prized pumpkin from the garden last night.

I am out for blood.

Dude, call me on the Batphone. That's the kind of important shit I got into this line of work for.
chad
curler
curler

Postby spacebar on Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:12 pm

chad wrote:Dude, call me on the Batphone. That's the kind of important shit I got into this line of work for.

Thanks, Chad! If you're in the neighborhood, please help yourself to garden goodness - I'm carrying on thanks to your previous efforts - hope I'm keeping it going appropriately.

Also, the peppers are beginning to grow.

Mini Bell Peppers

Thai Hot Peppers

Chili Peppers

That is all.
spacebar
dock ellis
dock ellis

Postby Frank R. on Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:53 am

Next year someone should build a raised bed for the garden. It would make it look a whole lot better and wouldn't require a whole lot of money/effort. It would get the plants up off of the ground which would reduce the risk of being trampled, eaten by vermin, and/or pissed on by bums. Also, since the plants would be higher, you wouldn't have to bend over as much (no more achy back!). Raised beds also allow you to plant earlier.

It would also be a good idea to take a pictures on a clear day every three hours to see which parts of the space get the most light. That way you can plant accordingly.
Frank Reber | Recording Engineer
http://FrankReber.com | http://ReberRecording.com
Frank R.
fan
fan

PreviousNext

Return to Intern's Corner