home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

coffee

Waste management tips, fly-on-the-wall tatics, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

coffee

Postby matt w on Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:03 pm

Who makes the coffee at EA? What kind of coffee is it?
damn skippy
matt w
fan
fan

Postby greg on Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:40 pm

Russ, Chad, intern, and I make the normal coffee (Seattle Mountain Costa Rican style).
Tom Zluckyj told me how he and Steve would roast thier own beans at the old house. It sounded like a royal pain in the ass.
John still goes to starbucks on occasion.
The Seattle Mountain coffee is bought at Costco, and the rumor is that it is starbucks coffee.
greg
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby MTAR on Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:57 pm

is it the same big-old green bag of beans that you used last summer? If so, im pretty sure that it said "starbucks" somehwere on the bag itself.
MTAR
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

trader joe's

Postby matt w on Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:12 pm

I have yet to set foot in the one here, but they must have Trader Joe's in Chicago. I've heard so many great things about the place and hear their coffee is damn good. Also, they're selling imported wine (only the finest) for $2.99 a bottle! God bless the Tucsonans and their ignorance of fine wine!
damn skippy
matt w
fan
fan

Re: coffee

Postby steve on Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:40 am

matt w wrote:Who makes the coffee at EA? What kind of coffee is it?

This is my ideal coffee, which is realized to its full potential maybe four times a year:

1) A doppio ristretto of freshly ground coffee. Specifically, coffee from Balangera Saluzzo, Via Spielberg, Cuneo, Italy. I will often (though not necessarily) add approximately 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon to the coffee before I draw the shot.

2) Steam 10 oz whole milk, to which I add approximately 2 teaspoons of maple syrup.

3) Pour the coffee into the milk, but don't stir. This leaves the foam intact, with a lovely abstract design in the top. I make a habit of trying to interpret these designs as though they were intentional whenever I make a coffee for someone else. The presentation is usually something like this: "I've made you a coffee, and I put a little caricature of Blixa Bargeld riding a Clydesdale on it for you." Or, "Here's your coffee. I hope you're not offended by the illustration of the assasination of the Romanovs I made on the top -- I thought you'd be amused by the super-imposition of Rollie Fingers playing the role of the ghost of Rasputin. Please ignore the copulating Oliver Stone/Cicciolina/Popeye menage in the background -- that was a doodle."

I will occcasionally, when there is only skim milk, enrich it by melting a pat of butter in the milk. This is met with universal disgust by my co-workers, whose tastes are as plain and conservative as they come. Just be thankful my puree of foie-gras experiment didn't amount to anything.

best,
-steve
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby zom-zom on Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:07 am

While I applaud your usage of the fine Canadian influence of Sirop d'Erable, the cinnamon is objectionable when combined with the aforementioned substance.
I would like to hear more about the Foie Gras experiment.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby matt w on Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:06 am

Steve--

Curious if you've had Turkish coffee before. Strong! Not for the meek.
damn skippy
matt w
fan
fan

Postby matthewbarnhart on Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:09 pm

matt w wrote:Curious if you've had Turkish coffee before. Strong! Not for the meek.

The fellow at my local Iranian deli here in Dallas makes Turkish coffee with milk & sugar -- he mixes a tbsp of coffee (Glenda's, I believe), a 1/2 tbsp of turbanado sugar, and 2 oz of milk, then cooks it on the stove until it just begins to boil. I don't know if it qualifies as true Turkish coffee, because I don't know jack about coffee.

Just curious: what kind of espresso machine is in the kitchen at Electrical? We have a french press & Moka Express here, but might be interested in dropping some coin on a good espresso machine before the year is out.

mb
matthewbarnhart
lt. kara 'starbuck' trace

Postby tmidgett on Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:15 pm

for the record, i don't know why the thing posts my posts twice

sorry about that, tho there's nothing i'm doing to cause it

matthew, of little grizzly fame, i recommed the delonghi espresso makers, at least the one i have. i think it was 250.

ea has a starbucks athena (? i think). it's pretty nice.

i am sad to say i have been seduced entirely by illy espresso. sad b/c it is fucking expensive.
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby matthewbarnhart on Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:11 pm

tmidgett wrote:matthew, of little grizzly fame, i recommed the delonghi espresso makers, at least the one i have. i think it was 250.

ea has a starbucks athena (? i think). it's pretty nice.

i am sad to say i have been seduced entirely by illy espresso. sad b/c it is fucking expensive.

Can you, tmidgett of SKWM fame (btw, Little Grizzly's 4-letter band acronym is LGRZ), tell me what the heck "illy espresso" is?

Delonghi -- I'll take a gander at those.

As an aside -- I've busted Paciugo gelato 10-hundred times since the end of April, and my gut is as wide as my smile. There's a new joint down the street from my house that makes excellent espresso, tho their gelato ain't so hot. Angie Harmon goes there! Which is pretty hot.

mb
matthewbarnhart

Postby e_shaun on Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:10 pm

Since coffee is almost as important to me as music production, I feel compelled to chip in my two cents.

The key, I find, to making the best possible cup of coffee is in the quality of the grind itself. While there are many coffees who pretend to be gourmet, and masquerade as true coffees of various third world nations (France included), the real litmus test for taste quality is in how finely the coffee is ground. There are those callous brutes who insist on distributing coffee with grounds larger than a sugar granule. These are probably the same ignoramuses who record everything with SM57s. But it is when you find coffee in a nearly powder grind that you know you are in the presence of greatness. You see, the finer the grind, the more thoroughly the coffee grounds can integrate with the water, thus providing a more complex solution than that of most regular, supermarket variety coffees.

I envision a not-too-distant day where the technology will have advanced to the point where we can have nano-coffee: microcosmic particles to provide complete integration with the water used to make this wonderful elixir. And when that day arrives, I will hold my mug up to the sky, and salute the beauty of pure contentment.

Ahhh.
E. Shaun Russell
Independent Producer
e_shaun@uniserve.com
Moderator at The Womb
e_shaun
novitiate
novitiate

Postby tmidgett on Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:20 pm

>>Can you, tmidgett of SKWM fame (btw, Little Grizzly's 4-letter band acronym is LGRZ), tell me what the heck "illy espresso" is?

illy is probably the best widely available coffee in the world

http://www.illy.com

they are incredibly, scientifically picky--new york times had a good article on mr.illy, but i can't find in on the web just now

i agree with the person who said grind is very important

in fact, until i get a burr grinder, i've resorted to buying GROUND illy

it is very very finely ground, yet you can pack it tight w/o choking off the water thru the coffee

my theory: blade grinders cut the beans into little slices. even if they then slice the slices up, they still make little platelets that, when compacted, become like a little shale formation, which makes the passage of H2O difficult.

BURR grinders grind the beans into fucking DUST. you can pack dust real tight and still push water through it.

but it's just a theory

time to put some clothes on

tm
tmidgett

Postby aeser on Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:49 pm

this is all you need to know regarding coffee:
http://laminita.com
aeser

a coffee recommendation

Postby mikewhojobshadowedsteve on Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:39 am

May i recommend Thai Coffee? I had it for the first time today, and enjoyed it. It's quite sweet and very strong..
If you're ever by the Montrose El stop on the brown line, stop in to the thai restaurant a few doors down--i think it's called Roong Petch--and order some Thai Iced Coffee.
...or just go to Beans and Bagels next door to the el--another excellent spot.
enjoy.
-mike
mikewhojobshadowedsteve
jock
jock

Postby oscar ruiz on Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:37 am

I cannot say about Thai coffee but their tobacco is really something. I would reccomend Lavazza instead of DeLonghi, as my experience goes, although there was other brand, I don't remember it's name, which was better. By the way, cinnamon goes perfectly alright with coffee. Anyhow, I can say I have exorcised the ghosts according to which the coffee drunk in the USA was crap. I'm glad they were wrong.
oscar ruiz
scout
scout

Postby steve on Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:26 am

Dude in a Barcalounger playing with one of those red rubber playground balls.

The day before yesterday it had a cock again.

-steve
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby e_shaun on Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:41 pm

John McEntire, with devil horns, running around an inverted pentacle, speaking in tongues in time with The For Carnation's "Being Held."
E. Shaun Russell
Independent Producer
e_shaun@uniserve.com
Moderator at The Womb
e_shaun
novitiate
novitiate

Postby Maurice on Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:33 am

tmidgett wrote:BURR grinders grind the beans into fucking DUST. you can pack dust real tight and still push water through it.

OK, so I'm tired of not getting a crema out of the machine here. I'm certainly looking to get a new grinder, and likely a new espresso machine. The Capresso machine looks good (also, a neighbor has one, so I'll be trying it out tomorrow), but I'm hearing good and bad about their burr grinders.

So does anyone have any recommendations on burr grinders? Good, bad, "this one's great until it breaks a year later," "this one would be perfect if it ground just a little finer," etc. Any data points are appreciated.

Thanks!
music every week | here, too | and here | snwv | other stuff

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I ask you: What the fuck?
Maurice
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby A vs B on Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:37 pm

coffee=terrible
A vs B
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby sndo on Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:04 pm

You know they mapped the genome of coffee in Brazil and they're using that information to breed better tasting, and stronger coffee. No genetic engineering, just selective breeding of the strains.
sndo
mister rogers
mister rogers

Next

Return to Intern's Corner