home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Book Talk

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Book Talk

Postby Dylan on Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:19 am

Anybody read anything good lately?

I've finished Rebel Code about the beginning of Linux, which was quite interesting. Not too technical and very much on the side of open source as a political movement almost.

I'm getting through Cold Mountain, but the endless list of old-timey adjectives is getting old quick. I have no interest in seeing the movie, I just heard the book was good. I think the writer has poured everything he's got into this one.

Just purchased Fortress Of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem. Loved Motherless Brooklyn, even though the noir detective stuff came off a little clumsily.

Palahniuk's Diary was great - his fantastical third acts are a little straining, but worth it for the payoff.

Anybody else?
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Re: Book Talk

Postby Christopher on Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:04 pm

Dylan wrote:Palahniuk's Diary was great - his fantastical third acts are a little straining, but worth it for the payoff.

Really? I haven't read it yet, but I heard it wasn't so good. I was a little disappointed with Lullaby.

The two greatest books I have ever read, Hunger and Mysteries, were both written by Norwegian author Knut Hamsun.
Absolutely amazing, and hard to believe they were written in the 1890s.
Christopher
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby yawn on Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:39 pm

"Cosmic Serpent" Anthropologist's investigation into South American shaman's extensive knowledge of DNA and hundreds, possibly thousands of species of medicinal plants, all knowledge of being derived from the shaman's use of ayahuesca -the plant "telling " the shaman what plants to use for what purpose. The author's report that his severe back pain was finally relieved after years of conventional medicine and therapy by a shaman remedy and the fact that big pharmaceutical companies have been mining ayahuescaros' knowledge and ripping them off for years for bases for new drugs points to some validity. I tried to find some chatrooms for this book and found a bunch of fucking Grateful Chaos avatars and plannings of Nature Love gatherings.Right on Brother! the type of shit that keeps you away from Zeppelin until your'e like 22. Good book though can't remeber the author's name.
Last edited by yawn on Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yawn
julia roberts
julia roberts

Postby DJ_Statikfire on Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:44 pm

I'm reading a great biography of Einstein called
Einstein: A Life by Denis ??

It's really amazing. Right now, I'm at about 1929, he's 50yrs old, and the Nazi action in Berlin is really heating up.

Can't wait to hit the Einstein exibit at Field Museum when I'm done.

THX,
Jason D.
DJ_Statikfire
total piece of shit
total piece of shit

Re: Book Talk

Postby Dylan on Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:46 pm

Christopher wrote:
Dylan wrote:Palahniuk's Diary was great - his fantastical third acts are a little straining, but worth it for the payoff.

Really? I haven't read it yet, but I heard it wasn't so good. I was a little disappointed with Lullaby.

You might not like it then. I am a big fan of his style, so it's all good with me (so far). The ending for Lullaby was a bit much.

Another book I've been recommending to people is Thomas Bernhard's The Limeworks. Hard to find, but worth it. He has this repetitive, accumulation style that's really fascinating.
Dylan

Postby Christopher on Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:40 pm

Intern_8033 wrote:...reading is boring.

Then why are you on a message board? There's a lot of that reading stuff involved.
Christopher

Books

Postby LIAM on Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:45 pm

I've just finished "Fargo Rock City" by Chuck Klosterman. A pretty humourous attempt to legitimize hair metal. It gave me the urge to buy a new copy of Appetite For Destruction.

Also "....And You Will Know Our Velocity" by Dave Eggers. It was the first time that I've ever read a book and finished with the impression that the author was an asshole.
LIAM
utility man
utility man

Postby andteater on Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:49 pm

if you really enjoy that book, you might be interested in "Einstein/Picasso"...i read it this past year, its a very intense look at the similarities between the two concerning lifestyle, attitude, and the way science and the arts influenced their output...it was a little dry at times, but still a pretty good read.

i'm currently finishing A Peoples History of the United States by Howard Zinn, which leaves me feeling that we're all fucked...getting ready to start Going After Cacciato by tim o'brien

andyk

DJ_Statikfire wrote:I'm reading a great biography of Einstein called
Einstein: A Life by Denis ??

It's really amazing. Right now, I'm at about 1929, he's 50yrs old, and the Nazi action in Berlin is really heating up.

Can't wait to hit the Einstein exibit at Field Museum when I'm done.

THX,
Jason D.
andteater
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby wiggins on Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:49 pm

a friend of mine let me read a book called "the cheese monkeys" by Chip Kidd.

its a good short read, absolutely hilarious. it reminded me a lot of palahniuk in that in the last 1/3rd of the story, things just get a little hairy and fantastical (if thats even a word haha).

its only about 300 pages long, and it leaves you with this really weird feeling at the end, which i beleive was the authors intent all along, which i think is awsome.

also, im sure you've read it, but Breakfast of Champions by vonnegut is amazing, if you havent.

-wiggins
wiggins
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby jupiter on Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:04 pm

andteater wrote:i'm currently finishing A Peoples History of the United States by Howard Zinn, which leaves me feeling that we're all fucked.

That was my textbook in sophmore history class during my brief two year stretch at the Math & Science Academy. Save Kafka's masterpiece The Metamorphosis (which I read he wrote in a single sitting :shock: ), it was the best book I read while I was there. Zinn's People's History is probably the most accurate account of the real motivation behind every significant decision made by our government to date.

"I never looked around, and never second guessed. Then I read some Howard Zinn; now I'm always depressed."
-Fat Mike Burkett
jupiter
cats
cats

Postby slowriot on Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:32 pm

palahniuk's "diary" was a great read, much stronger than "lullaby" was. i recently picked up a bunch of books by mikhail bulgakov (the master and margarita), celine (journey to the end of the night), leonard cohen (beautiful losers) and ellis (less than zero).
slowriot
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby yawn on Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:36 pm

At Borders yesterday I read the Big Black section of "Our Band Could Be Your Life" in one sitting.

thanks
yawn
julia roberts
julia roberts

Postby SchnappM on Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:57 pm

I'm a functioning illiterate.
SchnappM
pinocchio
pinocchio

Postby Maurice on Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:09 pm

Lately I've been reading the Phaidon retrospective on the late Gordon Matta-Clark. Amazing conceptual artist. While the book is a bit too textually self-consciously pomo/artcrit, the images and the no-longer-extant works themselves are mind-blowingly beautiful.
Maurice
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Punkrok666 on Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:14 am

A few latest (all at least OK):

George Orwell: 1984 (maybe the best book ever)
Crimethinc: Days of war, nights of love
Dostojevksi: The Brothers Karmazov (man, that was long)
Naomi Klein: No Logo (still reading, seems OK)
Punkrok666
ensign
ensign

Postby Punkrok666 on Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:16 am

A few latest (all at least OK):

George Orwell: 1984 (maybe the best book ever)
Crimethinc: Days of war, nights of love
Dostojevksi: The Brothers Karmazov (man, that was long)
Naomi Klein: No Logo (still reading, seems OK)
Punkrok666
ensign
ensign

Re: Books

Postby Dylan on Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:21 am

LIAM wrote:I've just finished "Fargo Rock City" by Chuck Klosterman. A pretty humourous attempt to legitimize hair metal. It gave me the urge to buy a new copy of Appetite For Destruction.

I just flipped through this yesterday, and it does look pretty good. I like the timeline and the way it illustrates the very short rise and fall of hair metal. I think I'll try to find it used, though.
Dylan

Postby Dylan on Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:25 am

yawn wrote:At Borders yesterday I read the Big Black section of "Our Band Could Be Your Life" in one sitting.

thanks

You (or anybody) really should pick this book up - it's a keeper. Great stories and it gives hope for the future of "independent" music.
Dylan

Postby Mr. Chimp on Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:58 pm

Excellent. A book thread.

Second on the Our Band Could Be Your Life recommendation

Just read an excellent "future noir" book By Richard K. Morgan called "Altered Carbon" - excellent in a Lethem/Dick combo.

Still reading the aforementioned bio on Groucho Marx. Can't remember who wrote it but will post because it covers ground at a quick and witty pace.

Would put in a plug for the books written by George P. Pelecanos - D.C. crimenoir "detective" novels that encapsulate tremendous amounts of cultural/social mores, educational race interation and excellence in music tastes. Also, the writer for the second/ongoing season of HBO's The Wire.

Was given this book " Media Democracy in Action: Censored 2004 - The Top 25 Censored Stories" which is a handy retread of Zinn-like analysis from the past year. Good pickup-start-anyware.

Have read the new Stephen King "Wolves of the Calla" - typically King has been a good quick "eye-candy" read but the Dark Tower/associated books are developing story arcs quite nicely into a fictional world that could slot quite nicely between works of David Lynch and C.S. Lewis/Tolkien.

I found that the Patrick O'Brian "Master and Commander" book was one of the most incomprehensible books I've gotten all of the way through.
It's pretty good, but without decades of seafearing life under my belt I might as well have been reading it backwards.

Re-reading Philip K. Dick's "The Divine Invasion" while I wait to buy something new.

Agree with all Eggers/Palahniuk statements except that I liked "Lullaby" and haven't read "Diary" yet.

Dennis Lehane's "Mystic River" was much better than I expected, and written very well.

Oh yes and William Gibson's "Pattern Recognition" is, again, a stunning detail of the edge of current paradigms.

Ooookay, gotta get a life.
Mr. Chimp
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby andteater on Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:05 pm

if what you're saying is true (regarding the dark tower series developing into a lynch/cs lewis esque work) it's unfortunate that he took so long between the 3rd and 4th books. i read the first three when i was in grade school and by the time the 4th one came out, i was almost done with college and couldnt remember any of the plotlines, so i didnt even bother trying to read it...

oh well.

andyk

Mr. Chimp wrote:Have read the new Stephen King "Wolves of the Calla" - typically King has been a good quick "eye-candy" read but the Dark Tower/associated books are developing story arcs quite nicely into a fictional world that could slot quite nicely between works of David Lynch and C.S. Lewis/Tolkien.
andteater
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Next

Return to General Discussion