home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Book Talk

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Book Talk

Postby Carl on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:43 am

Probably. Either the national feed briefly or a longer piece from KQED.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby enframed on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:46 pm

Carl wrote:Probably. Either the national feed briefly or a longer piece from KQED.

Yeah, it was on KQED. Fascinating research, and what a voice. I could listen to your dad talk for hours.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby circle_ruler on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:58 am

oh i don't know. John Reed's Ten Days That Shook The World, something about the Etruscans, Tacitus The Agricola and The Germania, something about North American Indian Culture, and a book about the Ancient Gods of England which is incredibly interesting. they're all good books so go out and get them. anyway, how'd you get my number?
Dudley wrote:Are we "meant" to wear trousers? Are we "meant" to sit in metal tubes that travel 30,000 feet above the earth?
circle_ruler
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Dave N. on Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:43 am

I'm craving river books. Any recommendations other than Mark Twain or Joseph Conrad?

I recently read Frank Dellenbaugh's account of his trip down the Colorado with J.W. Powell during the second expedition. Enjoyed it more than Powell's book. I read Goodbye To A River by John Graves every couple of years. I need something new.

What's your favorite river book?
Dave N.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby jimmy spako on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:16 am

Dave, if you haven't read it yet, you have to read Werner Herzog's Conquest of the Useless.
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby jimmy spako on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:52 am

Also, this is tangential, but fuck it: Julio Cortázar's Autonauts of the Cosmoroute is technically about a month-long idle trek down the French turnpike and not down a river, but it's also sublime in a way that I think you would like.

It's the book thread after all, long as it's got ink and pages it's fair game.

There's also The Lost Steps by Alejo Carpentier, which I have only just barely started recently. Supposed to be brilliant.
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby goatlord on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:11 pm

Just ended The Man In the High Castle by Philip K. Dick. I enjoyed it, but somehow didn't enjoy it as much as other people do, and thought that the ending was kind of meh. It's a good book, but, on a first reading, it's not my favorite Philp K. Dick. The Grasshopper stuff was really cool, though. Started reading Ubik, and so far I'm really confused, but when I read Dick's stuff I usually don't know what the fuck is going on until mid-point or so.

Also re-read all of Roberto Bolaño's short stories (Sometimes great, sometimes aimless, but always intriguing) and By Night In Chile, which is one of the best things he wrote, in my opinion.

Trying to read more this year, I kind of got sidetracked because of life stuff, but getting back on the saddle. Right now I'm interested in short or medium books (from 120 pages to 400 pages or so), not really interested in mammoth sized life-stoppers.
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby goatbreather on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:37 pm

goatlord wrote:Just ended The Man In the High Castle by Philip K. Dick. I enjoyed it, but somehow didn't enjoy it as much as other people do, and thought that the ending was kind of meh. It's a good book, but, on a first reading, it's not my favorite Philp K. Dick.

I felt the same way, and PKD is in my top 5 favorite authors. Ubik might be my favorite of his though.
goatbreather
mother superior
mother superior

Postby Madman Munt on Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:23 pm

Dave N. wrote:I'm craving river books. Any recommendations other than Mark Twain or Joseph Conrad?

How about Slowly Down the Ganges by Eric Newby?
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby brephophagist on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:29 pm

Anyone know of a history of the vinyl record that's better than this one (Vinyl: A History of the Analogue Record by Richard Osborne)?

I have a friend doing a PhD dissertation on the vinyl resurgence and its relevance to cultural anthropology. Osborne's book is pretty academic-focused; I think he's looking for something more colloquial / informal. Thanks for any recommendations!

Right now I'm not sure if I should be dismayed or encouraged (or both) by how much I'm identifying with So Sad Today by Melissa Broder.
brephophagist
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby andyman on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:45 pm

Perfecting Sound Forever which was written by forum member gmilner probably has quite a bit on it.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby brephophagist on Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:55 pm

Thank you!
brephophagist
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby Bernardo on Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:12 am

I'm reading Ginger Baker's autobiography and it stands in sharp contrast to Bruford's, as expected.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Velgauder on Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:34 pm

Just finished Dave Cullen's 'Columbine'. I've always kinda had a weird fascination with the tragedy, born mostly out of being in high school and just about the same age as the killers when the massacre took place, and struggling with depression myself. That, and the bizarre way it all played out live on tv and all the competing (and mostly false) narratives that unfolded about the shooters, the victims, and the school in the aftermath. Anyway, it was compelling and disturbing and crushingly sad (brought me to tears a couple times) all at once. I don't know if saying "I really enjoyed it!" is quite the right way to put it, but I tore through the book in a couple evenings.
Velgauder
scotty nguyen
scotty nguyen

Postby brephophagist on Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:55 pm

Not sure if this "counts" in this thread, but just finished Junji Ito's collected Uzumaki. Unsettling and fantastic. Going to tackle Tomie next.
brephophagist
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby Mason on Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:05 pm

Just finished: Delillo's White Noise.
Just started: George Saunders' Lincoln in the Bardo.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby circle_ruler on Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:58 pm

near to finishing The Return by Victoria Hislop. it was given to me by my mother who, rather touchingly, thinks i am mildly obsessed with the Spanish Civil War. i was around 30 years ago but i sort of let it slide a bit.

what a funny little book. a heavily flawed but reasonably enjoyable tale containing a lot of detail about various aspects of the conflict. if it achieved only one thing it is that i, and hopefully many others, will go away and delve into the history of the Civil War. there are some serious lessons to be learned there about the Popular Front, Stalinism, Fascism, and also about what it means to be a refugee.

i found myself thinking of the young Spanish girl my great aunt and uncle adopted, and all the other kids who came to the Llanelli area. of how the locals largely supported them and collected money for their aid, and of how the local right-wingers (mainly the well-to-do), using the pretext of an unfortunate incident, diminished that support by labelling them as undesirables. really they just hated them as the offspring of left-wingers, the irony being that refugee status was allocated in proportion to votes gained in the most recent election with a fairness not exhibited by the barbaric Franco.

whatever, it's an ok book. let it inspire you to read more.
Dudley wrote:Are we "meant" to wear trousers? Are we "meant" to sit in metal tubes that travel 30,000 feet above the earth?
circle_ruler
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby itchy mcgoo on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:19 pm

Dave N. wrote:I'm craving river books. Any recommendations other than Mark Twain or Joseph Conrad?

I recently read Frank Dellenbaugh's account of his trip down the Colorado with J.W. Powell during the second expedition. Enjoyed it more than Powell's book. I read Goodbye To A River by John Graves every couple of years. I need something new.

What's your favorite river book?

Have you got down with Wallace Stegner yet? Beyond the Hundredth Meridian might work for you.

I have never read any Rilke and picked up a volume containing Duino Elegies & The Sonnets to Orpheus. Some of the passages are almost too exquisite to bear. He writes about a way of relating to, and engaging with, the world that is ecstatic. So many poets play with "revealing", and lose potency to cleverness. Rilke steps off the ledge into most private, painful, intrinsic, human mysteries without bothering. Holy shit. Il mio cuore!

Note: I'm reading a translation by Stephen Mitchell which was very well-rated. If anyone has other suggestions, they are welcome.
itchy mcgoo
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Redline on Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:58 pm

I'm reading The Ultimate: An Illustrated History of Hamer Guitars book again, along with
Shakey, the Neil Young book.
I am a nerd.
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Hamer-G ... 0764343521
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby bigsky on Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:18 pm

I just finished Deep South by Paul Theroux. It's a pretty vivid portrait of the south, its beauty, its problems and its flaws. Quite a melancholy travelogue.
bigsky
vice president
vice president

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion