home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Book Talk

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Book Talk

Postby Redline on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:19 pm

Martin Atkins has a book out about how to succeed in the music buiz...
http://www.discmakers.com/request/band- ... dium=Email
Redline
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby brephophagist on Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Just finished Battleborn, by Claire Vaye Watkins, a collection of short stories centering on Nevada and dealing with the past. Recommended.

Redline wrote:Martin Atkins has a book out about how to succeed in the music buiz...
http://www.discmakers.com/request/band- ... dium=Email

FWIW, usually these marketing e-pamphlet things are one paragraph of actual content and 23 pages of fluff ("don't pull your genitals out in front of the promoter, it's not that kind of party!"), but this is an actual goddamn book.
brephophagist
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby Dave N. on Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:59 am

itchy mcgoo wrote:Have you got down with Wallace Stegner yet? Beyond the Hundredth Meridian might work for you.

I get down with Wallace Stegner often. Whenever I get it into my head that I'd like to write a novel, The Big Rock Candy Mountain and Angle Of Repose are two examples I'd like to emulate. I've always identified with his sense of place and displacement, and I admire the sobriety and sure-footedness of his language. Many of the writers I admire came out of his writing program. I guess I've read everything by him, with the exception of a couple of his formative early works and Joe Hill. It's probably been 20 years since I last picked up Beyond the Hundredth Meridian, as I usually go straight to the horse's mouth, where Powell is concerned, but I'm sure it would behoove me to pick it up again. It's around here, somewhere.

My river-reading inclinations gave way to the high seas. Going back and forth from Moby Dick to Kon Tiki. I've been having some trouble sleeping and I thought Moby Dick might help, but I'm finding it hard to put down. For some reason, I've put FM Trey's face on Ahab, and it's made it all the more amusing. Paul's face is on Starbuck. Christine is Queequeg. Call me Ishmael.
Dave N.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby SwampDonkey on Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:27 pm

my favorite books of all time. I like so called "grit lit" best., as a hack writer and southerner i find it also comes more naturally

Harry Crews- A Feast of Snakes, the knockout artist, gospel singer
Larry Brown- Faye, Dirty Work, the rabbit factory, joe
Smith Henderson- 4th of July Creek
Donna Tartt- The Secret History
Tim O Brien- The Things we carried, the lake of the woods
Denis Johnson- Tree of Smoke, Jesus Son, Train Song
Jon Fante- ask the dust
Paul AUster- NY Trilogy
Murakami- Wind up bird chronicle, kafka on the shore
Hitchens- Hitch 22, Mortality
Burroughs- junky, queer
Tom Waits bio(low side of the road)
Danielewski- House of Leaves
Solzhenitsen- Cancer Ward
Fortune Smiles- Adam Johnson

books im enjoying from this year- lincoln in the bardo(saunders), darnielle(universal harvester)
"The more one talks, the less the words mean"-Nana Kleinfrankenheim
SwampDonkey

Postby SarahThePerson on Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:29 pm

Just Isaac Babel. That is enough,
SarahThePerson
timex
timex

Postby ::: on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:59 pm

Finally got hold of Lincoln in the Bardo and it's slaying my face. I'm not quite sure how it's going to hold up over the length of the entire book, what he's doing there with the dialogue and the people in the Bardo and all, but I'm hooked.
:::
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Dave N. on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:17 am

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:
::: wrote:Finally got hold of Lincoln in the Bardo and it's slaying my face. I'm not quite sure how it's going to hold up over the length of the entire book, what he's doing there with the dialogue and the people in the Bardo and all, but I'm hooked.

It's very good, as you would expect, and I'd say it does hold up throughout.

I was skeptical when I heard the gist of this book, but I've yet to hear a bad thing about it. I wish I was at T-snow this year when Hastie was giving it out like a grandpa with Werther's. Putting it in the queue.
Dave N.

Postby enframed on Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:21 am

Tried to read Against the Grain by JK Huysmans in high school or college, can't recall exactly, but it was like 25 years ago or more. Couldn't do it. I guess I'm less stupid now cuz I'm thoroughly enjoying this thoughtful and hilarious book.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby itchy mcgoo on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:41 am

Dave N. wrote:
A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:
::: wrote:Finally got hold of Lincoln in the Bardo and it's slaying my face. I'm not quite sure how it's going to hold up over the length of the entire book, what he's doing there with the dialogue and the people in the Bardo and all, but I'm hooked.

It's very good, as you would expect, and I'd say it does hold up throughout.

I was skeptical when I heard the gist of this book, but I've yet to hear a bad thing about it. I wish I was at T-snow this year when Hastie was giving it out like a grandpa with Werther's. Putting it in the queue.

I just purchased this!

Mrs. Hastie recommended it to me last night. God, it's fucking great to be reading without highlighting for a bit. School sux.

To balance out all the bliss I was getting from reading Rilke, I concurrently read an old book about the Bush-selected cronies tasked with building a mini-America in Iraq. Imperial Life in the Emerald City. Surreal. Dude in charge of rebuilding hospitals across the country, which were so fucked they largely could not perform basic first aid, pushed for preventative health care to be a thing. One of his first efforts was starting a fucking anti-smoking campaign. Page after page of examples that would be hilarious if they were not so heartbreaking.
itchy mcgoo
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby SarahThePerson on Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:50 pm

I highly recommend Felisberto Hernandez, "Piano Stories." He was an Uruguayan writer of the early part of last century. He played piano in dusty little towns and died penniless. Total fucking weirdo in the right way,

Also, I finally got around to "A Sport and A Pastime" and I really loved it. I was surprised. I expected it to be insufferable.
SarahThePerson
timex
timex

Postby SarahThePerson on Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:50 pm

I highly recommend Felisberto Hernandez, "Piano Stories." He was an Uruguayan writer of the early part of last century. He played piano in dusty little towns and died penniless. Total fucking weirdo in the right way,

Also, I finally got around to "A Sport and A Pastime" and I really loved it. I was surprised. I expected it to be insufferable.
SarahThePerson
timex
timex

Postby Dave N. on Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:47 am

Great interview with George Saunders on CBC's Writers & Company this week. He seems like a pretty solid fellow with a great sense of humor.
Dave N.

Postby NewDarkAge on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:07 am

^Only ever heard good things about Saunders, by all accounts a nice guy.

I can recommend César Aira's 'Ghosts' – a funny and clever little novel that smoothly, if oddly, combines witty and sympathetic observation with rather oblique discussion of dreams, architecture, and anthropology.

On the non-fiction front, Ernst Bloch's 'Atheism in Christianity' is lyrical and profound. Highly recommended for anyone who doesn't seem themselves represented in either the religious worldview or that of the 'new atheists'.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.
NewDarkAge
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Mason on Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:31 pm

Dave N. wrote:Great interview with George Saunders on CBC's Writers & Company this week. He seems like a pretty solid fellow with a great sense of humor.

I absolutely loved this piece from the Guardian last month:
"George Saunders: what writers really do when they write"

I finished Lincoln in the Bardo this morning, incidentally. It's great. (I have to learn to be more articulate in describing books, or know how to go about thinking about them. But I read the thing and enjoyed it and thought it was great.)

Working through David Graeber's The Utopia of Rules again, which I got halfway through and then misplaced during a move at work. Probably a real good look having it out on my desk, given my job. (Then again I've corresponded w/ Graeber a little re: his next book, which absolutely concerns the nature of jobs. But not through my work e-mail of course.)
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Dave N. on Tue May 02, 2017 8:31 pm

Reading Sylvia Plath's journals. Such an incredible young mind.
Dave N.

Postby smud on Sat May 13, 2017 5:55 pm

After the semester is over (and receive my MA) I'm going to read Lattimore's translation of Iliad, as I haven't read that poem in about 6 years. Can't recall what translation I read then, but I remember thinking it was a little janky.
smud
lil' ottowa fanny
lil' ottowa fanny

Postby Janeway on Sun May 14, 2017 7:58 pm

^after comparing four different translations i can tell you personally from experience to go with samuel butler on iliad and oddessy. he's the one that got it right.

https://www.amazon.com/Iliad-Published- ... B001B06VRO
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Janeway on Sun May 14, 2017 8:06 pm

^comparing= translating the original homer text into english and determining that samuel butler's translation had the better gist

the differences are as minor as color interpretation, some folks think the fancy robes were crimson and represented blood and war and others thought royal purple to be regal and represent a good feast and it kinda effects the entire mood so... samuel butler
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway

Postby betch on Mon May 15, 2017 5:34 pm

Why in the name of fuck did I reread A Sport and a Pastime? It's been haunting me for days now. Sigh. It's sooo good. I swear it keeps getting a zillion times better as time passes. That whole world, my god. So exquisite. Pretty much ruins real life for me.
betch
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby trumpsbrah on Mon May 15, 2017 11:17 pm

Anyone read Anthony Marra's The Tsar of Love and Techno? That one made my jaw drop. His novel, A Constellation of Vital Phenomena is pretty damn good, too.
I played things in: The Infrasonics.
My prf challenge hits: Trumpsbrah Bandcamp.
Fiction and other writings: Trumpsbrah Website.
trumpsbrah
linus from peanuts
linus from peanuts

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion