home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Worst live band you've ever seen

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Worst live band you've ever seen

Postby dfglove on Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:58 am

Weirdest was the Pastels - who'd reformed, I think? - who did an incredibly disorienting set at the Nightmare Before Christmas in 2009. Disorienting because their drummer sang a bunch of the songs and wasn't, on that occasion, remotely able to keep consistent time while doing so. The tempo wowed all over the shop, moreso during long (sung) notes. None of the five or six people strumming away on stage appeared to register this as notable.

Most disappointing was a Sparklehorse show - the first chance I'd ever had to see them, and I was a really big fan - that turned out to be Mark Linkous and his MacBook and an unsympathetic sound engineer, meaning that that whole shitty-sounding-in-a-cosy-way thing of his emerged from the PA physically painful, pretty much obliterating his vocals into the bargain. Mark looked desperately uncomfortable and after six songs I couldn't bear to stay for any more.

The worst to date, however, was a singer-songwriter that I saw open for Arlo Guthrie in Oxford in 2009. I cannot recall for the life of me recall her name. Many of her songs, which were all about six or eight minutes long not including spoken introductions, were about starvation and/or child bereavement in 19th century Scotland. Whenever she applied dramatic emphasis she lurched violently off-key. She did one number a capella, and somewhere in my mind she still is.
dfglove
mime
mime

Postby jimmy two hands on Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:05 am

There was a band I saw in Lansing some 12 years ago called Swamp Shark. I don’t even remember what their music sounds like, because it’s all been overshadowed by the frontman’s antics. He got out a set of nunchucks and did a little dance with them, swinging them all around. It was amazing how bad it was.

There was another band, I think I saw them at that show but it might have been later that month, that sounded like a ripoff of Orgy. Their singer had this white wooden box thing on stage that he climbed on top of and perched on it in a crouched position and flapped his arms like a bird. My friend Ian got drunk and threw beer cans at them and got kicked out of the bar. I want to believe it was at the same show.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby goatbreather on Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:27 pm

Sun Araw
goatbreather
mother superior
mother superior

Postby numberthirty on Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:59 am

pwalshj wrote:
Fat Goth wrote:Blink 182, Glasgow Barrowlands, 2000.

I used to enjoy pop punk music in my teens. It's obviously not something I like to brag about, but it's where my interest in music began and I don't see any point in trying to deny it.

Don't. Everybody starts somewhere. I think the first record I bought with my own money was "Glass Houses" by Billy Joel but i still pretend to be hazy and claim it's 'Tatoo You"

EDIT: formatting

This guy probably has a point.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:08 am

Fat Goth wrote:Blink 182, Glasgow Barrowlands, 2000.

I used to enjoy pop punk music in my teens. It's obviously not something I like to brag about, but it's where my interest in music began and I don't see any point in trying to deny it. However, this show was the exact point where my enthusiasm for the genre came to violently abrupt end.
Blink 182's performance was utterly abysmal in every respect. They could barely play and the endless fart/dick/tit jokes just hammered home the feeling I had been a complete idiot for favouring them in the first place.

They were just never a great live band. Tom's voice will suck out your will to live. That guy that replace Scott Raynor wasn't helping matters.

Fat Goth wrote:I guess the only positive I took from the whole experience was it taught my naivety an important lesson about studio-based trickery; just because a band/artist on record sounds like it would be incredible in the live setting isn't always the case!

I am entirely convinced of two things on that front...

- Scott Raynor must have actually been the heart of that band.
- That Mark Trombino actually has magical powers when he is inside of Big Fish Studios.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty

Postby chris jury on Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:34 pm

I noticed a few mentions of the Blood Brothers- agreed:
on a 2004 tour we were supposed to play w/ them in Reno. Apparently 'day-of' someone in the band decided they didn't want us on the bill. The promoter who was helping us was a stand-up dude and got us a show in a tiny clothing boutique, where we set up inside and the audience stood out on the sidewalk and watched thru the glass.
He then took us to the Blood Brothers show, where there was food prepared for both bands. We got there for the last 1/2 of their set, which was like a bad fucking joke. We started eating and one of their hangers-on pitched a fit, saying it wasn't for us. You can probably guess how well that went.
that night we were staying w/ a couple rich hipster kids in their parents' mansion. They started to give us a ration of shit about playing 'age-ist' bar shows. We each took turns destroying assorted bathrooms before we left in the morning...just unconscionable, shame inducing, air-freshener depleting destruction.

In 2008 we played at Mars Bar w/ The Out Crowd. They were every bit the shitheads you'd expect. Assholes wearing sunglasses on stage, pretty girl playing tambourine, boring as shit, no one there to see them. So we loaded out and approached the promoter about getting paid. Apparently being a hanger-on to a one-hit wonder band from decade prior still nets you a big enough guarantee that no one else gets a dime.
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.
chris jury
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby P.J. Craven on Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:47 am

While I've made a point to try and remember the bad parts of bad relationships, it is true that as time trucks endlessly onward, you tend to recall the good stuff far more easily. So it goes with seeing shows, the difference being that there is no conceivable reason to make careful note of pure ass.

I don't know if I've ever seen a show that was just so grossly incompetent that I could name a "worst live band I've ever seen." I have certainly seen bands of many skill levels, but even there, sometimes sloppiness is just part of the package.

If anything, I've seen a countless number of shows with bands that do nothing for me aesthetically. But that's not really the same as "bad" or "worst."
ty-lot wrote:Sick bro
P.J. Craven
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Previous

Return to General Discussion