home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Official EA Forums What Video Games Are You Playing? Thread

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Official EA Forums What Video Games Are You Playing? Thr

Postby night_tools on Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:12 pm

Yeah Witcher 3 is awesome. I'm looking forward to going back to it after getting done with Fallout 4, which has moments of greatness but also a lot of disappointments. Gets very same-y very quickly, and while the settlement building is fun, it's also kind of pointless. Could have been a lot better.
You're a shit MD and I want my pizza money back.
night_tools
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby gjp on Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:21 pm

Been playing FO4. Same complaints. Same ol' Fallout. Starts to drag. Buggy. Base-building is cool, but as another FM posted, it's pointless. I just can't do sandbox games this large. I like a narrative. There's no weight to anything you do in a Fallout game, because there's no focus. Not that this makes them bad games. It's entirely the point I think, but for me personally, I'd like a bit more guidance from a video game. Still love the game, but I picked up the Mad Max game during the Steam winter sale and prefer that to FO4 to be honest.

Received Battlefront as a gift for Christmas. It's fun and looks and feels awesome, but it's a bit too stripped down. I was expecting a straight Battlefield clone, which it basically is, but it does a few things differently; there's no way select your server manually, no voice-chat or any type of quick squad communication, not enough maps, the weapons all feel the same, not a fan of the upgrade system requiring a level and in-game currency. It gets old pretty fast, but I could probably get a few more hours out of it.
gjp
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby erskine on Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:52 pm

Heroes of Might and Magic 2.
erskine
thomas paine
thomas paine

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:46 pm

Just 1CCed Black Tiger. Whoop!

I know it's not the hardest game in the world to 1CC, but still I'd never managed it before. Now I can move on to something else.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Twilight Sparkle on Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:12 am

Nice! Grats dude!

I don't have that particular feather in my cap yet, with anything. I tried 1CCing Crude Buster for a short time, but didn't end up sticking with it.

Got a handful of SNES games I've never played before, they are really gorgeous. Going through Magical Pop'n at the moment. I have only just learned ZNES has a pretty nice scanline filter, and I'm now trying to get it in MAME, no luck yet tho.

I've had this insane speedrunning marathon on in my room for the last like 5 days, whether I am awake or even home. Whenever I tune in, it is pretty incredible. I was only really aware of speedrunning Quake, though only the Half Life 2 run was truly as insane as the spectacle of Quake 1 speedrunning can get.
Twilight Sparkle
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby bigsky on Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:41 pm

Playing and hating Battlefront.

FUCK this game.

Think I'll play it now.
bigsky
vice president
vice president

Postby garthplinko on Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:09 pm

I tend to wait a couple years and get everything used for 1/4 the cost of when it was in fashion and new.

Final Fantasy VII was a real investment for me almost twenty years ago (I played 8 and 9 as well as Tactics) so I have been rewarding myself for completing the album by revisiting the franchise w/ Final Fantasy XIII which I got all three in the series for 25 bucks. So far, pretty good game. The game play is a compelling twist on the standard RPG format.
garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby chairman_hall on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:49 pm

Been playing Cities Skyline. It's good pretty much picked up from the Sim City franchise when EA dropped the ball with the last Sim City. The developers seem to fully embrace the community with legit community driven mods available through Steam.

I end up obsessing over interchanges and traffic systems though.
jimmy spako wrote:i have ranted, and you have scrolled.
chairman_hall

Postby Anthony Flack on Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:32 am

Since I've been playing around with the NDS again lately... I've been checking out some of the stuff I missed first time around. I just finished Ghost Trick. It's a sort of adventure game by the creator of the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney series, but it's quite different to those games.

It does have the same zany sense of humour, and the writing is entertaining throughout. The puzzles are extremely linear and not particularly difficult to solve, but the mechanic is original and clever, and the plot turns out to be quite extraordinarily complex and cunningly worked out. The graphics and animation are absolutely stunning; it's beautiful work.

All in all it's highly entertaining and really quite brilliant. For anybody who likes graphic adventures, or the Phoenix Wright series in particular, and doesn't mind a game that is linear and plot-heavy, I recommend it. Apparently there's an iOS version too.
Anthony Flack

Postby codetocontra on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:29 am

bigsky wrote:Playing and hating Battlefront.

FUCK this game.

Think I'll play it now.

Exactly how I feel. There is so much unbalanced bullshit. I can hold my own in shooter games but I am consistently getting my ass handed to me, unless I am in an A-Wing. Go figure. The most boring ship is the most powerful.
codetocontra
hemingway
hemingway

Postby Nico Adie on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:53 pm

Started playing The Witness last night, very much enjoyed it too.
Nico Adie
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby scntfc on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:24 pm

Nico Adie wrote:Started playing The Witness last night, very much enjoyed it too.

i've been playing a bunch (too much) and i love it. i'm guessing i'm about 75% through and have yet to get frustrated. despite some tough puzzles there's always enough to do that you can leave one task, do other stuff, and then come back when you've pieced together a little more information.
scntfc
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby codetocontra on Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:08 pm

Rocket League, holy crap!
codetocontra
hemingway
hemingway

Postby harpseal2 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:44 am

codetocontra wrote:Rocket League, holy crap!

Rocket League is a really goddamn great game. Looks absolutely stunning for a game made by a small dev team, and it plays very well. Definitely deserved Indie GOTY.
I'm just trying to be a better person. My name is Brock.

sulfur)addict wrote:My love for the Stooges is a complex and nuanced thing, like the female orgasm, or running Diablo 2 on Windows 7.
harpseal2
e^iπ = -1
e^iπ = -1

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:15 pm

Fantasy Zone II 2008 System 16 version in MAME. I can't believe I only just discovered this.

I was a fan of the original Fantasy Zone arcade game back in the day, and I'm still fond of it despite its flaws. I thought I had played all the various sequels... Fantasy Zone II on the Master System, the arcade back-port of the Master System game, the weird maze game for the Game Gear, and the PS2 remake with 3d graphics. None of them are particularly good, none improve on the first game. Somehow, I missed this one.

It's a 2008 re-imagining of the 1987 Fantasy Zone II from an alternative universe where the original team made a proper arcade sequel. It's much closer in style to the original game and it's great. Improves on the first game, but still with all of its charm. It was released as part of a PS2 compilation, but it's so completely period-authentic that they actually programmed it using the system 16 arcade hardware, and even released a limited edition of arcade cabinets. And the ROMs have been dumped.

As a result of this, I found it randomly in my MAME directory and played it on my arcade cabinet. Pretty neat.
Anthony Flack

Postby harpseal2 on Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:01 am

Replaying Metal Gear Solid, but on Playstation for the first time. I'm up to the torture scene and I almost want to give up... but I already did that on the emulated version and I felt bad. I can survive this torture!

Will report back with how many fingers I have left when I finish.
I'm just trying to be a better person. My name is Brock.

sulfur)addict wrote:My love for the Stooges is a complex and nuanced thing, like the female orgasm, or running Diablo 2 on Windows 7.
harpseal2
e^iπ = -1
e^iπ = -1

Postby small talk on Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:01 am

Earthbound!
small talk
district attourney
district attourney

Postby eephour on Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:15 am

Anyone play Tom Clancy's The Division yet? I'm thinking of getting it soon.
eephour

Postby Model Citizen on Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:00 pm

small talk wrote:Earthbound!

Me too!

Also grabbed the other SNES games made available on the 3DS. I've actually got homebrew running on it but the official ports seem to run better.
Model Citizen

Postby righthanded on Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:41 am

I've been playing Hyper Light Drifter. Recommended if you liked Zelda 1 and 2 and have a decent controller (I can't imagine playing without an analog stick). It's pretty difficult but rarely feels unfair. The gameplay oscillates between intense combat and meandering around looking for secrets or the next piece of whatever it is that you have to find or where to go. Also, aside from the intro tutorial, all information is conveyed without text--so you kind of have to figure out what you're doing and why. There's some context for what's going on but nothing's explicit. The feel of the story is more atmospheric than narrative. I dig it.
phpBB [media]
righthanded
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion