home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Official EA Forums What Video Games Are You Playing? Thread

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Official EA Forums What Video Games Are You Playing? Thr

Postby a leg plaster on Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:02 pm

I downloaded the demo for Prey on PS4 this morning and played it soon after.

I'm probably going to have to buy Prey soon.
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Chromodynamic on Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:25 pm

I've been playing The Witcher 3 a lot these past few weeks but the Steam summer sale had me pick up Hyper Light Drifter, Kentucky Route Zero, and Full Throttle (remastered); Hyper Light Drifter in particular, I am digging a lot.
Chromodynamic
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby lumpenprole on Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:25 pm

Just ordered Elite: Dangerous for my PS4. I'm actually pretty excited about it.
Proud member of Steel Tigers Of Death Local 382.
lumpenprole
muncher
muncher

Postby night_tools on Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:46 pm

^ I too am excited to play Elite... although I will probably wait for it to drop in price.
I'm playing Tomb Raider Definitive on PS4. It's really fun. Never played the old PS versions but this one looks great and is like a less-challenging version of Resident Evil 5, with a bow. Will probably complete it in the next couple of days and then take an enforced break from gaming for a month while I write an essay.
You're a shit MD and I want my pizza money back.
night_tools
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby lumpenprole on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:58 am

night_tools wrote:^ I too am excited to play Elite... although I will probably wait for it to drop in price.
I'm playing Tomb Raider Definitive on PS4. It's really fun. Never played the old PS versions but this one looks great and is like a less-challenging version of Resident Evil 5, with a bow. Will probably complete it in the next couple of days and then take an enforced break from gaming for a month while I write an essay.

I played it when it first came out and really liked it. I've been thinking about picking up the definitive edition because I kind of raced through the story and didn't take time to get a lot of the optional stuff done.
Proud member of Steel Tigers Of Death Local 382.
lumpenprole
muncher
muncher

Postby total_douche on Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:10 am

Super Mario 2! My roommate managed to find a copy recently.

I ought to start looking for some Mega Man games. I never played those.
total_douche
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:00 pm

SMB2, the one that was originally known as Doki Doki Panic? Funny thing about that one is that although it was not originally a Mario game at all (the true sequel to SMB is SMB3), many of the features of that game went on to become canon in the Mario universe. Shy Guys, Bob-ombs, the Toads' Arabian stylings, the ability to pick up and throw stuff, even the fact that Luigi is taller than Mario, are all because Nintendo needed a quick follow-up to SMB, took a third-party Arabian NIghts-themed game and replaced the main characters with the Mario gang.

The NES Mega Man games are best IMO. Or you could try the more recent Mega Man 9 and 10 which are made for modern consoles in the style of the NES games. They're good - they have a very particular style. You can't duck, if you backtrack even a little bit all the enemies ahead of you respawn again, and the enemies ruthlessly exploit your blind spots so even when there's only one or two on screen the fuckers will get you again and again. Mega Man is something of a master class in designing simple enemy patterns which are an absolute bastard to deal with.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby righthanded on Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:15 pm

Heat Signature is finally out and goddamm is it a blast. It takes an hour or so to get the swing of things and a few more to really start becoming an unholy cyclone of death. Tom Francis really knows how to make a game.
righthanded
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby jbar on Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:19 pm

I bought a 3ds so I could play the new metroid. Beat it, and moved on to LoZ: Majora's Mask. I forgot how weird this game is.
jbar
pointer sisters
pointer sisters

Postby Raa on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:21 am

Anyone else playing Cuphead? I haven't swore so much in a computer game for almost 20 years and I feel better when I beat a single level or boss than I have when completing whole blockbuster AAA games. This is proper, proper hard.

Looks and sounds like its from a 30's cartoon, plays like it was designed in the late 80's for the NES.

Raa
doctor hook
doctor hook

Postby madlee on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:56 am

Raa wrote:Anyone else playing Cuphead? I haven't swore so much in a computer game for almost 20 years and I feel better when I beat a single level or boss than I have when completing whole blockbuster AAA games. This is proper, proper hard.

Looks and sounds like its from a 30's cartoon, plays like it was designed in the late 80's for the NES.

wow that looks beautiful
madlee
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Nico Adie on Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:07 pm

Very much enjoying Speed Runners on the PS4 at the moment. Good frantic fun. Also still Rocket League, which might be my favourite game of all time. My PS4 has been in storage for a few months, but I still play with/against my friends on every Monday night, a tradition that has lasted 12 years.
Nico Adie

Postby Tom on Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:02 pm

Cuphead is great. I'm so terrible at those kinds of games, but enjoy playing them. I thought my kids would get a kick out of it as well. My 4 year old (who has never _really_ played video games) wanted to play and got really upset when she kept dying. I tried to explain to her that it was a really hard game and that I'm not better. It took 20 minutes of her watching me die and die and die to get the point across.

Great game though. Thoroughly enjoyable.
circle_ruler wrote:Everything post Mesolithic is hideously decadent and carries the signature of tyranny.
Tom
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby night_tools on Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:14 pm

I got Elite: Dangerous when it was on sale on PSN. I suck so bad. So far my proudest moment is getting blown up by a space station because my docking privileges were revoked for taking too long to land. I think I just need to spend a few hours learning how to fly.
night_tools

Postby Johnny C on Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:29 pm

It took me, I want to say, approximately 10000 years to finish, but I finally polished off Arkham Knight with a 100% completion rating. Ending is pretty good and in all it's a better game than Arkham City was, I think. Unfortunately, the DLC mostly sucks ass - the Nightwing one was only neat because it was set during the daytime, and the Batgirl one was actually well-written, but none of them do anything substantially different and in fact are just kind of limper versions of the action in the main game.

The core loop of those Arkham games is pretty satisfying. Once I realized that the Batmobile was just a way to put a different stealth combat scenario together I got into it a lot more. I could also easily never play any of these games again and do just fine. Nearly everything else I have on my to-play docket is open-world stuff with sidequests, to the point where I've kind of decided to tackle Battlefield 1 next since the Battlefield games tend to be comparatively streamlined.

Still playing Snake Pass, too. Colourful, brisk puzzle platformer with a really simple concept and zero enemies or anything like that. Just small physics challenge after physics challenge that you tackle with your weird snake body in a cartoony floating video game world. Really relaxing.

Rocket League rules, straight up.
Rick Reuben wrote:None of us is the person we were supposed to be.

these estates | architects & builders | delta throats | plywood | oiseaux
Johnny C
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby night_tools on Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:55 pm

Snake Pass on the Switch? or other platform?

I bought a Switch a couple of months ago - entirely to play Breath of The Wild which is a genuine masterpiece - unlike any other Zelda game which came before it, and without a shadow of a doubt the best iteration yet ( and with the exception of the CD-I games, I've played all of them).
There's a dearth of first party games ( although Mario Odyssey is out in a month) but the console is pretty nice. It feels unwieldy when used as a hand-held and I certainly haven't played it outside the house, but the theoretical ability to play low maintenance 2P using the Joy-cons is cool. Nintendo really need to up their game with regard to the Virtual Console - if they released a bunch of NES/SNES games which were playable in this way it would be a must-have. I reckon they are delaying the VC tactically until all the furore over the SNES mini has died down, in the same way they didn't release SNES games on the original 3DS because they wanted people to buy a Wii-U instead.

Anyway, apart from Zelda, Splatoon 2 is good fun ( but online only, the single player missions aren't that exciting), and Mario/Rabbids is decent but not as good as either X-COM or first party Mario game. But if the idea of a mash-up of the two lights your fire, then you'll probably have a good time with it.

Mario Kart 8 is Mario Kart 8. Looks nice, all unlocked from the start ( why???) It's the best two player fun I've had with the Switch , but as noted above, it's a big fish in a small pond at this point.
night_tools

Postby Johnny C on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:38 pm

Snake Pass on the Xbox One. Can't imagine it's different enough on the Switch to not merit the recommendation. The gameplay is the part that's really appealing, and the fact that it's bright and colourful and friendly and somewhat relaxing is icing on the cake.
Rick Reuben wrote:None of us is the person we were supposed to be.

these estates | architects & builders | delta throats | plywood | oiseaux
Johnny C

Postby free meat on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:38 am

Johnny C wrote:Ending is pretty good and in all it's a better game than Arkham City was, I think.

See, I really didn't experience that. I loved Arkham City but felt Knight was clunky and the batmobile sections were absolute torture. In saying that, I might try pick up a cheap copy and give it another go. I was half tempted by Return To Arkham before I saw the reviews slate it.

night_tools wrote:Nintendo really need to up their game with regard to the Virtual Console - if they released a bunch of NES/SNES games which were playable in this way it would be a must-have.

Nintendo have yet again made a total hash of their release schedule/console support. The online side of things is worse than the Wii U at present. I bought NBA Playgrounds to play mates with online, but that took 3 months to be added - and only after the developers had to fight with Nintendo to do so. Despite being a PES loyalist, I was tempted to buy Fifa for the Switch until I realised it has next to no online functionality at present. The Switch is in desperate need of more games. There's a few third party games I'll likely buy (Sonic Mania, I Am Setsuna, Thimbleweed Park, Kingdom: New Lands) whenever they have a sale, but it's still slim pickings.
free meat
boutros boutros-ghali
boutros boutros-ghali

Postby Anonymous37 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:50 am

Finally getting around to Obduction, the game by the makers of Myst and Riven:

I figure this should be hard enough for me to play for a couple of months before I give up and search for a walkthrough so I can finish the game.
Anonymous37
rookie
rookie

Postby Anonymous37 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:41 pm

Anonymous37 wrote:Finally getting around to Obduction, the game by the makers of Myst and Riven:

I figure this should be hard enough for me to play for a couple of months before I give up and search for a walkthrough so I can finish the game.

Well. That was much easier than I thought it would be. After I was done, I looked at the Obduction subreddit, and apparently Rand and Robyn Miller ran out of money, and the gameplay was shortened as a result.
Anonymous37
rookie
rookie

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion