home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Official EA Forums What Video Games Are You Playing? Thread

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Official EA Forums What Video Games Are You Playing? Thr

Postby Johnny C on Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:01 pm

Accidentally got into playing multiplayer Battlefield and now I'm an online gamer again for the first time in like five years - last time I spent any substantial amount of time doing online multiplayer was back when Mass Effect 3 came out. Absurd hobby to try and pick up again in your late twenties but honestly I'm having a lot of fun. Inexplicably winding up as squad leader a lot of the time so I'm getting used to that. Gonna have to try and join an Online Gamer Group or something so that it'll be more fun since riding solo can have mixed results, but it's cool when it comes together; a squad I ran last night was consistently coordinated in our assaults and defenses, and the personal payoff was enormous when we won the round and got best squad. Weird feeling but nice. Also the Operations mode is fucking wild, 64-person battles that are wildly thrilling. Too bad the actual war was a fucking horrendous disaster that led to an even worse, even more gruesome war a decade and a half later and so it still feels weird to say that the game is "fun"!

Cuphead has no such uneasy links to the real world and so I have fewer qualms about saying it's fun. Cuphead is fuckin' fun, y'all.
Rick Reuben wrote:None of us is the person we were supposed to be.

these estates | architects & builders | delta throats | plywood | oiseaux
Johnny C
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby John Turbo on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:18 pm

Finished The Evil Within 2.
It was pretty good. Does have few issues in terms of general controls and frame rates or whatever - it's a bit clunky..but if you like survival horror games you should like it. I did like the hub world parts which is what makes it feel quite different from frist game. Actually i loved some the sidequest stuff.

There was points though i thought i was playing The Last Of Us with messier controls / lower budget. But its good enough.

Not as fucked up and random as first game but still messed up enough. I think its a big improvement on first game despite sharing some similar problems control wise.
John Turbo
intestine
intestine

Postby Anthony Flack on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:57 pm

God help me, I bought myself an original breadbox c64 for a little bit too much money. Why did I do that? Emulators are far more convenient.

But I had always loved the c64 and never owned one, and working ones hardly come up for sale around here any more. The crazy thing is, these days a working original 6581 chip on its own is probably worth most of what I paid for the whole thing. Maybe I'll make some music with it; I'm sure there's some decent tracker programs available.

Hopefully it's still in good order for a 35 year old computer but if and when it does die I can still still use the shell to make a USB keyboard (one of the problems with emulators is the PC keyboard layout is fundamentally wrong) and maybe a synth with the 6581.

Ahhhh it's an original breadbox model y'know, not a model C or none of that shit. A proper superfuckinugly brown one. I was weak ok?

It's got no disk drive, just a cassette deck which actually might come in handy for other purposes, he rationalised. I can finally dub off those old jam room tapes and things, I guess? So until I can jack it up with a SD card reader I will be limited to cassette games, which of course I can just download as mp3s and play into the 64 through my phone to my heart's content but it'll be slow.

Anyway it'll be Impossible Mission for me.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Model Citizen on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:10 am

Oh man, the C64 brings back good memories, even though I had a Spectrum my best friend had one and we spent entire summers on it until I upgraded to an Amiga.

I bought the Switch early this year and love it. Like everyone, I've spent a ridiculous amount of time playing Zelda, as well as Skyrim and the NeoGeo classics, plus some others. It's basically the perfect system for me as I spend a lot of time in bed with a bad back and normally only play handhelds. Looking forward to sinking my teeth into Doom, too.

Because I've skipped a few generations of major consoles the graphics also look amazing, though I'm sure that wouldn't be the case if I had a PS4. I'm really behind on what consoles can do nowadays so it was a big step up graphically from my 3DS.
Model Citizen
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Adam Sr on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:17 am

Get Laser Squad, Anthony Flack.
Adam Sr
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Tommy Alpha on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:02 pm

I bought an X Box One s because it was an insane deal. First console for ten years. Now I'm playing Assassins Creed 2, which I bought from CEX for £1.50 and it is sucking up my life like a hoover and I love it for the moment. I haven't even played an X Box One game yet (50 Gigs needed for Doom ARE YOU FUCKING NUTS?)
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby John Turbo on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:41 pm

Doom is a lot of fun.
unapologetically old school shooter but with modern aesthetics.

it is indeed quite hefty GB wise.
John Turbo
intestine
intestine

Postby weezy on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:25 pm

Hey gamer nerds, I just got a free Ps4 with 1TB. I thought I was done with video games, especially on consoles, but now I feel tempted download some crap. I am thinking that I should keep it weird or only play the best of the best and not waste time with the so-so stuff (already wasting time even playing anything in the first place).

Is there cool/weirder stuff out there? I never played the original Shadow of the Colossus and saw that it's being remade for Ps4, so I might try it. There was something else called Abzu or something that looked pretty different/interesting. I tried No Man's Sky when it came out and discovered what a pile of horseshit it was. Some of my favorite games were Homeworld (orignals and Deserts of Kharak) and Half-Life.

Otherwise I might be tempted to try Fallout 4 and later, whatever the latest Mass Effect is, maybe Destiny (it looks kinda gay)....or maybe I'll just stick this fucking thing in a closet and do something productive w/ my life. :smt006
Last edited by weezy on Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weezy
waddy wachtel
waddy wachtel

Postby jbar on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:28 pm

Get Bloodeborne.
jbar
pointer sisters
pointer sisters

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:22 pm

Adam Sr wrote:Get Laser Squad, Anthony Flack.

Ah, you just reminded me I never got very far in X-COM (2012 version). Just one of hundreds of games I'm intending to get back to "one day".

I'm not even gonna contemplate the next generation for a few years yet I think. Still got most of the last one to get through. Whoever said the Wii U didn't have enough games? It has a lot!

Commodore 64, that's what's needed around here.
Anthony Flack

Postby ImDADA on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:30 pm

Yeah, Bloodborne is incredible.

Have a look at Limbo, Inside, Nier Automata, Fez, Alien Isolation, The Witness & Super Meat Boy.
Blue.
ImDADA
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:49 pm

weezy wrote:Is there cool/weirder stuff out there? I never played the original Shadow of the Colossus and saw that it's being remade for Ps4, so I might try it.

Yeah, maybe. It's quite frustrating. It's very "dry". Like an ultra-bleak, ultra-minimalist Zelda game where you don't meet anybody. It's beautiful, it's poetic, it's annoying, and the camera has a fucking mind of its own.

When it came out there was nothing like it; it was probably the first "next gen" game in terms of tech and certain design features, before the next gen (PS3) actually arrived. An amazing achievement for the time - simulated fur on a PS2 for fuck's sake. It's not all that long so it's very finishable.

Funny you should mention it because I'm actually playing through the PS3 version at the moment. My little girl picked out the game disk last week and was captivated by the cover and wanted to try it. And so we did, and now she's totally hooked on the quest to "kill the bosses and wake up the dead girl". She wants to see how it ends (I wonder what she will make of that!)

She wanders around and rides the horse and when we find the colossus I have to do that bit and she watches. It's just scary enough that she finds it very thrilling. The game puts heavy guilts on you for killing them (it's the prototypical art game that makes you feel bad for following the game's own mechanics). But she says it's ok because "all bosses are baddies". The game itself however offers no such reassurances.

Anyway she is hooked and I am enjoying playing it again despite its flaws. I'd already finished the game once before on the PS2 so I guess that means it's a good game. It is not a perfectly polished piece of dispensable nonsense. It's a flawed and frustrating piece of art.

The remake looks beautiful too. Hope they do Ico as well.

weezy wrote:I tried No Man's Sky when it came out and discovered what a pile of horseshit it was.

Fuckin' saw that one coming a mile off. The developers sounded like they were talking pure Molyneux from day 1.

Otherwise I might be tempted to try Fallout 4 and later, whatever the latest Mass Effect is, maybe Destiny (it looks kinda gay)....or maybe I'll just stick this fucking thing in a closet and do something productive w/ my life. :smt006

Massive open-world RPGs are the most time-wasterly games on Earth. I avoid all those because they are so big and long and large I'll never manage it if I live to be a thousand years old. I find games with masses of scripted content to be pretty exhausting.

As for the question of whether or not Destiny is gay, that is quite straightforward:

Anthony Flack

Postby John Turbo on Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:17 pm

i couldn't get into Bloodborne. i appreciate its highly rated by many but just didn't click with me at all.
John Turbo
intestine
intestine

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:33 pm

So, the c64 arrived and upon testing it turned out to be non-functional. I checked the power supply and find it's only putting out 0.5v on the 5v pin. Apparently when the guy said it was "working condition" what he actually meant was "completely untested".

So I contact him, he admits he never actually tested it and agreed to refund $50 for the busted power supply. Fine, but now I have no power supply and no way to test if any of the rest of it works, fucker.

The c64 has an unusual mixed AC/DC power supply: 5v DC @ 1.7A, plus 9v AC @ 1A, going into a seven pin DIN. The PSU box itself is completely packed full of resin so you can't get anywhere near the transformer or nuthin', it's a total bin job.

But as luck would have it I actually had everything I needed in my power supply junk box to supply both of those things already, so I ripped out the original plug and wired it up to double wall-warts and lo and behold, the computer works absolutely perfectly. Just as well, fucker.

Then I learned that the regulators in the original power supplies are notorious for failing hot and frying your machine, and you should therefore avoid using them and instead do what I did, anyway.

So ching, now I didn't pay slightly too much after all and came out better off besides. He's still a fucker for not testing it though.

And now I've boxed it up again so it can be everybody's Christmas present to me, this is the way of dads.
Anthony Flack

Postby VaticanShotglass on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:21 am

Anthony Flack wrote:So, the c64 arrived and upon testing it turned out to be non-functional. I checked the power supply and find it's only putting out 0.5v on the 5v pin. Apparently when the guy said it was "working condition" what he actually meant was "completely untested".

So I contact him, he admits he never actually tested it and agreed to refund $50 for the busted power supply. Fine, but now I have no power supply and no way to test if any of the rest of it works, fucker.

The c64 has an unusual mixed AC/DC power supply: 5v DC @ 1.7A, plus 9v AC @ 1A, going into a seven pin DIN. The PSU box itself is completely packed full of resin so you can't get anywhere near the transformer or nuthin', it's a total bin job.

But as luck would have it I actually had everything I needed in my power supply junk box to supply both of those things already, so I ripped out the original plug and wired it up to double wall-warts and lo and behold, the computer works absolutely perfectly. Just as well, fucker.

Then I learned that the regulators in the original power supplies are notorious for failing hot and frying your machine, and you should therefore avoid using them and instead do what I did, anyway.

So ching, now I didn't pay slightly too much after all and came out better off besides. He's still a fucker for not testing it though.

And now I've boxed it up again so it can be everybody's Christmas present to me, this is the way of dads.

Huzzah, hurrah.
VaticanShotglass
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby Janeway on Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:35 am

i miss red dead redemption
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby free meat on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:09 am

for anyone wanting cheaper Switch games, I recommend signing up an account with the location set as South Africa and getting the revolut virtual credit card app. South African store tends to have digital releases far cheaper than they do in the UK one. I assume the US might be the same. I got the new Mario for 669 ZAR which was about 38 quid (UK eshop had it priced as £50). The revolut app is good as it doesn't charge anything for currency conversions and can be set up in minutes.

http://savecoins.me is great for working out the savings etc.
free meat
boutros boutros-ghali
boutros boutros-ghali

Postby andyman on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:23 am

Man, I can't believe how cartoonly bad the new Call of Duty is. I'm home for Christmas and my bros have it. Everyone's saying it's game of the year and shit, but it seems to confirm my suspicions that they just slapped new skins on old content under the pressure of Battlefield 1. The multiplayer levels are badly designed and feel like a shit arcade game. Ditto on the weapons; the skins even look bad.

The first single player mission seemed OK, but it's very blatantly a remake of the opening level from Call of Duty 2, from back when I was a teenager....
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Johnny C on Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:38 pm

DOOM '16 fuckin' rules, it's the heavy metal magazine cover blood orgy it was always supposed to be. Multiplayer is okay but a little more Quake-y than Doom-y. The single player campaign is fantastic, though. You just have to embrace the rip-and-tear mindset and then it's basically a demon gore playground. It has the same mindset as the first John Wick, almost - it understands that you're there for the action, and it doles it out in tremendous, frequent doses.

I replayed Bioshock Infinite over the last week, somehow. Forgot that game came out in 2013! That's really recent! The Xbox 360 version plays very well on the Xbox One and you can disable Vsync for some reason so it runs at a consistent 40-50 FPS, which I bring up only because aside from a little bit of a heavy hand with the light bloom it's a frequently gorgeous game with incredible design and architecture, popping, bright colours, painterly backgrounds, etc.

Honestly didn't feel that much differently about its politics, except to say that I think I have a sharper idea of where it missteps, which is that it presents ideology as a top-down idea. Even the first Bioshock didn't really make this mistake; while Andrew Ryan was definitely presented as a Charismatic Genius Leader, Rapture as a whole worked conceptually because there was a sense that everybody else bought in, and that Ryan's main accomplishment was bringing people who already had a shared purpose and vision together, and the game's main ideological critique came naturally out of taking the amoral narcissism of Randian libertarianism to a sci-fi endpoint. That's not really ever the case with Columbia, which winds up being presented a lot more cultishly in part because the game is a little too cowardly to actually suggest that the social ills it diagnoses are fundamentally American and instead wraps it up in enough prosperity gospel dressing that it distances itself from its own point, until by the end it's forgotten the ideological angle almost entirely.

It also feels weirdly quaint, like something fundamental has changed about that type of shooter game in the intervening four years somehow. Hard to say what it is, but it might have to do with how sharp the distinction is between the nonviolent exploration bits and the bits with violence that make it feel oddly static. Still very engaging and fun and great to look at but your average single-player game has changed pretty substantially in the interim.
Rick Reuben wrote:None of us is the person we were supposed to be.

these estates | architects & builders | delta throats | plywood | oiseaux
Johnny C

Postby Twilight Sparkle on Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:47 pm

I played Overwatch at a friend's house, and it mechanics wise was not a let down, but visually it's really far under the creativity and clearness of TF2, just kind of like an orange and blue mess, especially with the generic ass lines that come out of the characters mouths, it can be a bit of groaner. I wish the world just still played TF2, waaaah.

My favorite game recently is occasionally coming across Undertale fan art and remembering how much fun it was to play the first few times. Second place is imagining playing Sonic Mania on mushrooms whenever I have a spare 20 dollars to throw away on a game for someone else's console, because I don't really feel like playing it by myself on my computer. Or when my friends give in and buy it merely for the sake of pleasing me. Waaah.
Twilight Sparkle
names vacuums with eyes closed
names vacuums with eyes closed

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion