home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Official EA Forums What Video Games Are You Playing? Thread

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Official EA Forums What Video Games Are You Playing? Thr

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:17 pm

Johnny C wrote:It also feels weirdly quaint, like something fundamental has changed about that type of shooter game in the intervening four years somehow. Hard to say what it is, but it might have to do with how sharp the distinction is between the nonviolent exploration bits and the bits with violence that make it feel oddly static. Still very engaging and fun and great to look at but your average single-player game has changed pretty substantially in the interim.

I never bothered with this one at the time (although it sure found its way into the bargain bins quickly; it's amazing how fast some of these games with eight-figure budgets end up being not worth five bucks). But I remember when it came out a lot of people said they found it very static and regressive in design despite the fancy presentation. So I think it might have always been that way.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby sparky on Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:35 am

Returned to Zelda BOTW for the dlc, and it is still smashing, though the first boss re-run I’ve done, the water one, has reminded me of th game’s imperfections: combat can be imprecise, and the controls are tank-like in certain situations.

Surprised to find myself caught up with Horizon Zero Dawn, which has fun combat, gorgeous graphics, shaky writing, but I’m massively enjoying where the plot has turned later in the game. First fictional game world in a while that I’ve thought about when not playing the game.

Played a little Transistor, which is promising. Finished the main quest of Super Mario Odyssey, which kept me grinning - first Mario game I ever played properly. Bought Elite Dangerous cheap, spent ten minutes being confused, will return to it sometime.

Will get the first two Bayonetta’s when they come out for the Switch, and I will probably get the remastered Okami, bringing me back to the very first page of this thread.

I told a friend recently this may be the last console generation I’ll participate in. Games just take up so much time, I can’t finish what I have.
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!
sparky
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Anthony Flack on Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:23 pm

I feel the same way... I already have enough, more than enough to be getting on with, for years. So the Wii U might be the cut off point for a while, which means Zelda BOTW might be the newest game I play for a while.

Unless you count C64 new releases, of which there are actually quite a few! C64 development is pretty active these days (so too is the Atari 2600). Most of the new releases are on disk or cartridge though and I'm restricted to tapes for the time being...

The saga of getting the tape images to load into the c64 was a long and boring and technical one that involved soldering and an oscilloscope and all sorts of messing around and still only works on about 80% of the tape images I've tried. Suffice to say you CAN'T plug an audio line straight in to the c64 like most 80s microcomputers.

So I am quite keen to get a card reader and fix myself up properly, but for the time being using the tapes is amusing (a lot of them play music while they load) and the main thing was I got Impossible Mission to work.

Anyway I just completed Impossible Mission! Not so impossible at all.

I am full of admiration for this game. It is a beautiful piece of design. It was very exciting and satisfying to complete. It is 35 years old and still better than 99% of indie games.
Anthony Flack

Postby John Turbo on Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:45 am

sparky wrote:Returned to Zelda BOTW for the dlc, and it is still smashing, though the first boss re-run I’ve done, the water one, has reminded me of th game’s imperfections: combat can be imprecise, and the controls are tank-like in certain situations.

Surprised to find myself caught up with Horizon Zero Dawn, which has fun combat, gorgeous graphics, shaky writing, but I’m massively enjoying where the plot has turned later in the game. First fictional game world in a while that I’ve thought about when not playing the game.

I liked Horizon Zero Dawn a lot. Game is ridiculously pretty at times even on standard PS4 on an average TV . I dont think i ever used the photo mode before playing it.

Took me a while to get into the game but yeh the combat when get used to its is really great and great fun. the story ends up surprsingly interesting also.

I finished it while back but was a lot of stuff i didn't do which am going through at moment.

Game does have its flaws for sure - like the main cities doesnt really have much to do in , the lack of decent climbing physics , repetition in some missions and sidequests but that aside it is an excellent game.
John Turbo
sweetbreads
sweetbreads

Postby sparky on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:23 pm

Has anyone else played Thumper? I’ve enjoyed the thirty minutes of the Switch port I played, and might appeal to the PRF as it was made mostly by one of the guys from Lightning Bolt.
sparky

Postby sparky on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:27 pm

^John Turbo, yes the combat has some decent depth to it with the different ways you can approach a beastie, the variety of different encounters and AIs involved. It did suffer from coming out at the same time at BOTW for me; the unclimbable walls, as you point out, feel obsolete. But a fun game. FM Fiery Jack tells me the hunter side quests are well worth going through if you’re still looking for stuff to do.
sparky

Postby night_tools on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:20 pm

sparky wrote:Has anyone else played Thumper? I’ve enjoyed the thirty minutes of the Switch port I played, and might appeal to the PRF as it was made mostly by one of the guys from Lightning Bolt.

Did not know that....
It's fiendishly difficult though. I got disheartened fairly quickly although I love love love me some 'rhythm-action'.
You're a shit MD and I want my pizza money back.
night_tools
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby free meat on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:04 am

Bought the new Mario and Kingdom: New Lands on Christmas Eve to cheer myself up for having to work the next twenty days straight without a break. Have yet to touch Mario at all. Kingdom is so simple and addictive; there's next to no instruction at all in the game, so it's mostly trial and error until you get the hang of it, but yeah, it's all I want to play at present. Mario and Assassin's Creed will just need to wait.
free meat
ubu roi
ubu roi

Postby Johnny C on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:43 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:I never bothered with this one at the time (although it sure found its way into the bargain bins quickly; it's amazing how fast some of these games with eight-figure budgets end up being not worth five bucks). But I remember when it came out a lot of people said they found it very static and regressive in design despite the fancy presentation. So I think it might have always been that way.

I think it wound up bargain-binned because it lacked any kind of multiplayer component or anything that would keep people playing it. Certainly replay value is a once-in-a-while sort of thing. (It is pretty fun to play!)

As far as the world being static goes, I just did a little googling and was surprised that some of the benchmarks for last-gen relatively responsive first-person single player worlds - I'm thinking of, like, Dishonored, Deus Ex, Far Cry 3 - came out prior to Infinite's release. Something had changed even in the period before Infinite's release, something that the previous Bioshock games had themselves shepherded. Wild!
Rick Reuben wrote:None of us is the person we were supposed to be.

these estates | architects & builders | delta throats | plywood | oiseaux
Johnny C
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Johnny C on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:46 pm

Anyway I beat Shadow of War and strongly, strongly hated the plot. The game is at its best when it's funny and at its absolute pits whenever it does anything else, which it wants to do constantly.

I'll probably reinstall it when the DLC comes out, sink time into Shadow Wars, and fuck around with whichever DLC is actually good.

Johnny C

Postby Johnny C on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:46 pm

Anyway I beat Shadow of War and strongly, strongly hated the plot. The game is at its best when it's funny and at its absolute pits whenever it does anything else, which it wants to do constantly.

I'll probably reinstall it when the DLC comes out, sink time into Shadow Wars, and fuck around with whichever DLC is actually good. The core gameplay stuff is pretty fun and I was still finding orcs whose character traits hadn't come up before by the time I finished the game. Also once you get the hang of the like weird Orc Pokemon system they have the online stuff becomes a real blast.

Johnny C

Postby lumpenprole on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:04 pm

I picked up Injustice 2 and as far as stupid, pound Superman in the face fun, it's enjoyable. They fucking loot-boxed it a little, though.

I'm taking a little break from Prey, but it's pretty excellent.
Proud member of Steel Tigers Of Death Local 382.
lumpenprole
david hockney
david hockney

Postby jbar on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:29 am

Dark souls remaster just announced for Switch. Guess I'm getting a Switch.
jbar
linus from peanuts
linus from peanuts

Postby Germ War on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:34 am

I picked up a Switch in October when Super Mario Odyssey came out, and it's basically reinvigorated my love for video games, even though I can't seem to focus on any one game for a long enough period of time to get through them.

Guilty pleasure, but I bought Picross X for $7.99 and played through all the "classic" style puzzles. I can't stand the mega picross, though. Othewise, I've been digging into a bunch of Nicalis titles, including Cave Story and Ittle Dew (plus, of course, The Binding of Isaac, the game I just can't seem to stop playing). I want to love Breath of the Wild, but it still doesn't feel like Zelda to me. I'm glad I have it, though.
Germ War

Postby Anonymous37 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:28 pm

Played through Gorogoa, which was great, but way too short to spend more than ten bucks on. Visually arresting and with an interesting gameplay mechanic.

Anonymous37
streetsweeper
streetsweeper

Postby night_tools on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:51 pm

OBSESSED with Witcher 3. I gave up on it way too soon, shortly after leaving White Orchard, and now I've sunk countless hours into it. Deeply absorbing, way better than Skyrim. I'm powering through the main storyline and still have both DLCs to look forward to.
night_tools

Postby small talk on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:16 am

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Never played a Metal Gear game before, are they all pretty crazy?
small talk
district attourney
district attourney

Postby night_tools on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:56 pm

Yup, they are all pretty crazy. I've played MGS, MGS2, MGS3 ( my favourite so far) and Peace Walker.
Didn't really get on with MGS4 or Ground Zeroes, but I've heard great things about Phantom Pain.
The convoluted and intricate conspiracy theories in the background just keep getting deeper and weirder as you progress through the series. I stopped paying attention a few games ago :)
night_tools

Postby garthplinko on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:01 pm

Zelda on the Switch is truly amazing. 5/5 stars.
garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:50 pm

Random observations from a nearly 4-year-old:

Playing Ico: "Why does the girl not fight the baddies? She is very nervous."

Mario is in the castle: "Mario is thinking about Bowser."

Leaving a power-up behind in the Toad House: "We'll leave this one for Toad."
Anthony Flack