home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Official EA Forums What Video Games Are You Playing? Thread

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Official EA Forums What Video Games Are You Playing? Thr

Postby icing on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:03 pm

buzz robo jam. 10 and 12 yr old girls are into it, for two days at least now.

haven't had a console in quite a few years, the girls have been asking, so garage sale (plus ebay) this weekend:

wii with two remotes, two guitars and the drum kit, guitar hero disc, band hero disc, metroid 3 disc

broken playstation 2 slim with two controllers, 8 trivia controllers, dexter/jax disc, 3 trivia discs, snowboarding disc, gta san andreas disc.

$15 playstation wouldn't read game discs, so took apart the laser sled and tweaked a couple quite very tiny pots right next to laser. it worked!

so the wii, ps2 slim, controllers, guitar hero, drums, and games for ~$100

I've played android games, but the last console game I finished was echo the dolphin. shit. that was probably before a few of you were even born. like '91? san andreas is curious. I quit games bc of the time suck, so... 4 hrs into gta sa and I'll probably finish it. I do like the $7 ebay games.
"the best beer is the local beer" - arnold cronin. - I enjoy making 3d miniatures and space cartoons my name has nothing to do with singing.
icing
julia roberts
julia roberts

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Nice one.

PS2 is a pretty great console. Wii is not bad either although I recommend trying to find a Wii U if you can (which also plays Wii games and can use all the Wii accessories). So many great multiplayer games you can play with that and with the two Wii remotes you've already got you'll have three controllers. It is the best family console of all time.

And now is the perfect time to go Wii U hunting, as people are offloading them, but they didn't sell in large numbers so they may become hard to find in the future. So, heads up on that one.

Here's a few recommendations for the original Wii, most (not all) of these should be cheap as anything on ebay, and most of these games are good for short sessions:

Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, essential really. It's a waste to own a Wii and not have these.

Punch Out!! - really excellent update which plays quite similarly to the NES game.

Mario Party 8 for multiplayer minigame goofiness. You can also get ALL the Raving Rabbids party games on one disk (Raving Rabbids Party Collection) for $5 or less, which is a cheaper but Frencher option.

Boom Blox - Steven Spielberg game which is kind of like a 3d Angry Birds, but better. More fun than it looks.

Kirby's Epic Yarn - beautiful, stylish, adorable, extremely casual, can be played two player.

Excite Truck - it's great, stupid fun while it lasts. You can probably get Excite Bots, too (I can't - US only)

Warioware Smooth Moves - get drunk and play with friends.

Beat The Beat! Rhythm Paradise - I love this series.

Wii Sports + Wii Sports Resort - you can get these together on a one disk package, so don't bother to buy them individually.

Oh and Mario Kart of course, but I haven't actually tried that one yet, since it's harder to find cheap and we already have Mario Kart 8 for the U.

Not so much for the kids:

Dead Space Extraction - you can still play gun games on the Wii, while modern TVs make all older lightgun games completely useless. This is an atmospheric, sci-fi horror gun game. You could also try House Of The Dead Overkill (definitely not with the kids around, motherfuckers), which is fun but ruined by coming on WAAY too motherfucking strong with its grindhouse schtick, motherfuckers. Which is too bad, motherfuckers.

Mad World - it's ok I guess but you'd be better off getting God Hand for the PS2. Still you have the novelty of seeing what it looks like to do a game in the style of a Frank Miller comic.

Resident Evil 4 - get the Wii version rather than PS2. Then you can shoot with the remote.

Sin And Punishment Successor To The Skies - a really, really over-the-top crazy hardcore shooting game, sequel to the cult N64 game you didn't play. Made by Treasure.
Last edited by Anthony Flack on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:40 pm

Now some for PS2:

Burnout 2 - the Burnout series is a smashy car racing thing slightly ruined by excessive rubber-banding. Burnout 2 or maybe Burnout 3 keeps the excesses in check but you still get the bonus game where you have to smash through an intersection causing as much damage as possible in a single collision.

Timesplitters 2 - the best, ultimate, pinnacle of Free Radical's series of first person shooters that kicked off with Goldeneye. This has everything that people liked about Goldeneye and more. This game, she is so good.

Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast - not quite as good as the Xbox original, some textures had to be severely downgraded to fit it all in, but it still rules.

Psychonauts - see above. This is probably still Double Fine's best game. Some long loading times too but that's the PS2 for you. Don't let that put you off.

Katamari Damacy - the original and best.

Gradius V - made by Treasure.

Space Channel 5 Special Edition - it's Space Channel 5 part 1 and 2 for the Dreamcast, rereleased on one disk for the PS2. Features "Space Michael" Jackson.

The Jak Series before Naughty Dog got all serious.

Ico - I'm going to recommend you play Ico before you try Shadow of the Colossus because although SotC was a groundbreaking game, it's also hella frustrating and that fucking camera swings around like a drunken Peter Jackson. So for a game that won't make you feel so much like kicking the TV in, even though the fights do go on a bit too long, go with Ico. It's beautiful and charming and atmospheric and clever.

Sega Rally 2006 - well, actually, this game sucks. It feels like you spend more time watching the loading bar than racing. Don't waste your life with this game. But if you get the two-disk special edition, the second disk is a really great 60hz port of the original Sega Rally arcade game, and THAT rules.

The Red Star - this is something a bit different. It was a low-budget game when it was released but it's still not too bad looking all the same. It's a cross between a shoot-em-up and a brawler (eg Final Fight) which is fairly unique.

God Hand Greatest beat-em-up of all time. Rushed out the door just as the studio was being shut down, don't let the rough-around-the-edges presentation put you off. If anything, it's the massive difficulty that should put you off. But if that doesn't put you off, get it.
Anthony Flack

Postby icing on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:13 pm

wow thanks man. I haven't heard of most of those. my 10 yr old was here while I ran youtube clips. she rejected anything outright where you shoot someone. we'll probably get ico and burnout 2 after we get bored of what we have. thanks again!
tony
"the best beer is the local beer" - arnold cronin. - I enjoy making 3d miniatures and space cartoons my name has nothing to do with singing.
icing
julia roberts
julia roberts

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:59 pm

Too bad about the shooting (seriously, Timesplitters 2! You fight gingerbread men and giant bunnies!), but even more reason to keep an eye out for a Wii U. I wonder if anybody is still playing Splatoon online?

The Miiverse is turned off now, which is a bit sad. It used to be that you got cute little messages and drawings from players all over the world, now you just get the default instructional messages from Nintendo same as you would get if you were offline. Sigh.
Anthony Flack

Postby andyman on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:06 pm

Anybody playing Fortnite on the ol' Xbox? Add me @ stoatbroker. Let's get a party started.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby wellsyuk on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:40 am

Fortnite - god this game has just taken over our house. For better and for worse. It's one of those games where you realise the internet has WAY better players than you.
wellsyuk
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby andyman on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:16 pm

It's sad that the most difficult part of the game is the fucking Xbox controller: the stick dead zone has ruined many games for me.

Goodbye reaction times!
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman

Postby wellsyuk on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:32 am

andyman wrote:It's sad that the most difficult part of the game is the fucking Xbox controller: the stick dead zone has ruined many games for me.

Goodbye reaction times!

Right, yeah I feel like an old man and think as I die thumping the sofa "give me a mouse and a keyboard and I'd have whipped ya"
I'm 'wellyuk' by the way, but it might be one of my kids playing too..
wellsyuk
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby ImDADA on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:52 am

wellsyuk wrote:Fortnite - god this game has just taken over our house. For better and for worse. It's one of those games where you realise the internet has WAY better players than you.

I've sacked off Pillars of Eternity, Nioh and The Witcher 3 to get absolutely humiliated by 12 year olds on this game. Hate myself.
Blue.
ImDADA
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby wellsyuk on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:17 am

Yeah, it's those jumping shotgun killing/quick-building fuckfaces everytime. I feel like the moment I jump out the plane they're laughing at me, even following me
wellsyuk
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby andyman on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:20 am

My new secret weapon is the silenced pistol. Pick at them from a distance while they can't tell where you are, because you (I) can't aim for shit.

I hope they update it to mute everyone before the map loads. The split second in which I hear one of my squad members is an 11-year-old brings me crashing back to reality: a grown man, in his pajamas at lunchtime, playing xbox with a bunch of primary schoolers

:/
andyman

Postby Anthony Flack on Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:15 am

Oh, and icing, by the way I'm pretty sure that Wii you got will play Gamecube games too, I think you just need to get hold of a GC controller to do that.

There's not really much on Gamecube that you couldn't get easier on PS2 though. Some 3d Metroid games. Super Mario Sunshine which isn't worth bothering with (get Galaxy instead). Mario Kart Double Dash which some people say is very good but which you would need lots of Gamecube controllers to get the most out of. A horrible sequel to Wave Race which disappointed me greatly. A sequel to F-Zero X which did the same (and is still the most recent F-Zero game Nintendo has released, boo)

But, you can also get Legend of Zelda the Wind Waker which is great, and some copies have a bonus disk with Zelda Ocarina of Time + Master Quest, which would be really great if you found one of those going cheap.

There's also Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess available for both the Gamecube AND the Wii (and later the Wii U), and Skyward Sword for the Wii. But if I was going to choose one of them: Wind Waker for sure.
Anthony Flack

Postby MJongo on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:32 pm

Been playing Celeste on PC (also out on Switch). It's really great. Hopefully I'll be able to afford a Switch someday and play Mario Odyssey.
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd."
-Voltaire
MJongo
lawn bowler
lawn bowler

Postby japmn on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:19 pm

Cuphead. Highly recommend it if you liked Super Nintendo run and shoot games like Super Contra. It's kinda hard at first and every new level is hard even when you get good at it, but it's fun and not impossible. Best looking game I've played since Okami.
japmn
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby numberthirty on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:09 pm

japmn wrote:Cuphead. Highly recommend it if you liked Super Nintendo run and shoot games like Super Contra. It's kinda hard at first and every new level is hard even when you get good at it, but it's fun and not impossible. Best looking game I've played since Okami.

Related(I'm gonna have to start a "C/NC" on this channel) -

phpBB [media]
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Johnny C on Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:30 pm

Cuphead creators are locals to me! This was wild to learn!
Rick Reuben wrote:None of us is the person we were supposed to be.

these estates | architects & builders | delta throats | plywood | oiseaux
Johnny C

Postby Johnny C on Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:36 pm

Dishonored 2 kicked ass! Playing MGSV now and remembering that Kojima makes the best video games, both from a mechanical standpoint and a "sophisticated understanding of geopolitics" standpoint!
Rick Reuben wrote:None of us is the person we were supposed to be.

these estates | architects & builders | delta throats | plywood | oiseaux
Johnny C

Postby lumpenprole on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:19 pm

Downloaded the updated hd Skyrim to my PS4 and haven't been sleeping well, thanks to that.

I also want to get back into Elite: Dangerous because the upcoming updates seem pretty great:

phpBB [media]
Proud member of Steel Tigers Of Death Local 382.
lumpenprole
cy twombly
cy twombly

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:14 pm

I was inspired by icing to break out the PS2 for the first time in years. Yeah, it's so good. These games are great. I love these games. I may yet talk at greater length about some of these games.

It was a good time for the games industry; the hardware potential was exciting and single player games with <$1m budget were still viable at retail. This was also the time when I was up-and-coming in the industry before I went through the meat grinder so I have positive associations with this period.

Hard to believe the console is nearly 20 years old now. It doesn't feel so old. Yeah it doesn't have a hard drive (by default at least) and the standard controllers are wired (at least it's a respectable length for once), and yeah the drive can be a bit slow, and yeah the resolution is only SD. But the games still look damn good. In the case of Ico, stunningly heartbreakingly beautiful and I'm not sure I've seen better.

I might start looking for some more PS2 games. Although they seem to be more expensive than they were a decade ago... I looked on ebay and once again it seems like some of my games are now worth way more than I paid for them. For instance Gunstar Heroes Treasure box, a budget release which I bought new for 2500 yen, or about $20, you can now expect to pay $100 or more for today.

And forget what I said about Outrun 2 being slightly better on the Xbox. The difference is small and the Xbox version, being rarer, goes for three times the price now.
Anthony Flack

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion