home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Official EA Forums What Video Games Are You Playing? Thread

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Official EA Forums What Video Games Are You Playing? Thr

Postby Twilight Sparkle on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:21 pm

Not sure how I feel about this, but it's about to come out, and I guess I'll be playin it

phpBB [media]
Twilight Sparkle
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:34 pm

You played the original?
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Twilight Sparkle on Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:06 pm

I would definitely say the original is one of my favorites!

But the ambiguity of that world was part of what made it so compelling to me, things were very spooky, yeah, but sort of cute too? Or sometimes neither, it was just psychedelic, tho very ominous or oppressive feeling. In this trailer, there's a bunch of horror movie lighting, more conventional creeeepy music... I dunno, maybe being nitpicky. The original was also clearly an unfinished game worked on by one person, which lead to a lot of fun speculation as to the purpose of certain places, abilities. I'll reserve my judgement, definitely curious.
Twilight Sparkle
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby John Turbo on Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:07 pm

Johnny C wrote:Dishonored 2 kicked ass! Playing MGSV now and remembering that Kojima makes the best video games, both from a mechanical standpoint and a "sophisticated understanding of geopolitics" standpoint!

Ive tried playing Metal Gear Solid 5 Phantom Pain a few times and hmmm i just don't like it.

From the ridiculous and tedious opening section that drags on for ages to the barren empty open world to endless silly cut scenes. I just find it a chore to play every time ive tried to. Will admit id not go that far in to it though.

And that said i am weirdly fascinated by Kojima's forthcoming "Death Stranding". Which looks even more self indulgent and 'out there' than any metal gear solid games but is intriguing in way to me that Metal Gear is not nor has ever been.

I wished his Silent Hills remake / PT demo had become a full game. That looked great.

But Metal Gear Solid 5 ?...its not for me.
John Turbo
spleen
spleen

Postby jimmywahcrowbar on Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:05 am

I bought a switch, first console purchase in years, and will be using in mainly as a portable device. I have only Mario Odyssey and it's fun. What other games are good?
jimmywahcrowbar
cats
cats

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:07 pm

I can't recommend anything first-hand except for games that also appeared on Wii U. I mean Mario Kart 8 and Zelda:BotW are both excellent games but I guess you knew that already. Splatoon 2 I assume is also excellent; Splatoon 1 certainly was, if you are into that sort of thing.

Arms looks interesting? I've heard positive things about the new Doom game too.
Anthony Flack

Postby free meat on Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:07 am

jimmywahcrowbar wrote:I bought a switch, first console purchase in years, and will be using in mainly as a portable device. I have only Mario Odyssey and it's fun. What other games are good?

Zelda, Skyrim, Mario Kart, Bayonetta 2, Golf Story, Thimbleweed Park, Kingdom: New Lands, Stardew Valley, Rocket League, LA Noire. If you only get one then it's Zelda all day long.
free meat
gabby hartnett
gabby hartnett

Postby Model Citizen on Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:53 am

What he said, especially regarding Zelda.

Also (and some of these have been on other platforms for ages btw) enjoying Axiom Verge, Dragon Quest Builders, Wonder Boy the Dragon's Trap, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Cave Story, and Doom.

If you like RPG's, I'd check out Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It's a bit rough around the edges but lots of fun. Check out the Octopath Traveller demo too. Actually you could probably just get the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo and that would be enough game for many.
Model Citizen
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby jimmywahcrowbar on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:43 am

Thanks for the tips!
jimmywahcrowbar
cats
cats

Postby Anthony Flack on Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:22 pm

My game development colleague who is rich now thanks to cryptocurrency was like "hey I'm rich now, I'll buy you a new console because I feel like it".

My GF was immediately "get a Switch" but you know there ain't much out on the Switch yet if you don't count the games we already have on the Wii U. And I think she has designs to take it to work with her.

My little girl, I know she would love to play Last Guardian on the PS4, since her and I have played through Ico four fucking times now and we're going around again! Don't get me wrong, Ico is magical, and my girl shows excellent taste in being so captivated by it. But it is not the sort of game you want to play over and over unless you're 4. It's only about five hours long you know.

But I went through the PS4 catalogue looking for some other things to get and you know, for a console that's been out for going on five years (boy, has it really been that long?) I'm looking through the games and thinking "there is fuck all I am seeing here that I am interested in". Fuck off online multiplayer, fuck off massive open world RPG grinders. Fuck off grim sweaty men in times of war.

What's left, a bunch of indie games you can get on PC, ports and remakes of old games I've already got and a whole bunch of things carried over from the last console generation. The PS3 never rocked my world too much either.

He said I should get a console that helps with my research, and I do need to play Cuphead at some point, but thanks to Microsoft funding that one, it's exclusive to Xbox and PC. Xbox! I don't want a fucking Xbox. That's even worse than the PS4. I'll have to fix my PC for that I guess.

Bah, I don't know. Get offered a free console and I'm struggling to be enticed by any of them. Somebody give me some reasons to care more.
Anthony Flack

Postby Anthony Flack on Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:42 pm

I have been playing games, though. Still having fun with the C64, and it inspired me to set up my Amiga too.

I spent some time briefly with the PC Engine CD before remembering that the PC Engine CD is a system I struggle to care about. Yeah there is Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood, but in general early CD games are videogaming's most boring era.

Then a few weeks ago I was inspired by this thread to dig out the Playstation 2 and it's great. The Playstation 2 is great.

Now I've decided to break out the N64 and the N64 is also great. Cartridge based! No loading! Boxy as hell, but framerates are generally good and the games are super playable. Have mostly been going between Wave Race 64, F-Zero X and Sin & Punishment. The N64 controller is a unique thing.
Anthony Flack

Postby Janeway on Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:33 pm

^aww i wish i was someones videogame girl :) f-zero rocks

i'm just trying to get my overwatch game together, figure out how to broadcast my baller games on twitch
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway

Postby Anthony Flack on Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:41 pm

I'm pretty bad at it, but it's one of those games I keep coming back to, year after year. I do believe that Wave Race 64 and F-Zero X have so far never been improved on in 20+ years. F-Zero X is ugly as shit even by the standards of the time and it still can't be beat.

I was more enthusiastic about going through my N64 cartridges than going through the PS4 catalogue which is a bit sad.
Anthony Flack

Postby jimmywahcrowbar on Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:10 pm

I've had my Switch for a couple of weeks now, and I really like it. I have used it as handheld only because it's just so easy to pick it up, turn it on and start playing. I've put hours into the thing already, especially since I got Zelda, which is really really good. I recommend both the game and the console, although I'm not a serious gamer.
jimmywahcrowbar
cats
cats

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:47 pm

It is very good. Good enough and Zeldarey enough to get away with pulling a Skyrim, which I would ordinarily run a mile from. Still it is quite overwhelmingly big.

We just got back into playing it again over the last week, actually. My little girl really likes hunting for ingredients and cooking them up. We haven't really got very far in yet. Yesterday she accidentally set her weapon on fire, then accidentally set a tree on fire with it, then accidentally made baked apples in the burning tree. Fun stuff like that happens all the time.

It's a little bit tragic how quickly the weapons break but ok, if that's how they want to roll I can respect that.

My issue with the Switch is that I already have this game, and most of the other good games currently available, on the Wii U. The Wii U is an excellent console which nobody bought, and all the games on it fully deserve to be ported to the Switch, but I can't get excited about the idea of buying them twice. I suspect getting a Switch would mostly mean us getting another copy of BotW and my GF taking it to work with her.
Anthony Flack

Postby Janeway on Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:12 pm

the best part of f zero was the music 8)

phpBB [media]

haha they even made a shellac sounding song with the computer bass

phpBB [media]
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:41 pm

I don't know if you're familiar with X but they took those tunes and turned them into screaming synthetic prog-metal.

phpBB [media]
Anthony Flack

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:04 am

Ho, and then there was this. "Guitar arrange edition" soundtrack.

phpBB [media]

It all makes a lot more sense when you're racing around a giant Hot Wheels track at 1200 km/h.

I just read that F-Zero X and Wave Race 64 were developed by a lot of the same team, including the same lead programmer. It's often the case when I find two games I like that they turn out to have a bunch of the same people involved. Authorship matters you guys.

And Shigeru Miyamoto producing both of course. (Miyamoto is the greatest designer of all time, obviously. Anybody can see that.)

But then they go and put out F-Zero X and everybody at the time was all BOO these graphics are moderately more blocky and primitive than the standard of blocky and primitive graphics we currently expect in 1998, therefore the game is not good. And not, for some reason, all YAY this game runs at a steady 60hz even with 30 cars on screen, that is frickin' amazing and also this is the most crazy intense racing game I have ever played and it will still be the best game of its kind 20 years from now.

Also, on a real N64, with a wired controller and that super sensitive N64 analogue stick, into an old CRT TV, everything is lower latency than a typical modern setup. I don't know how much difference that truly makes but it kind of feels like maybe it does matter a little bit? At least when you're trying to race around a giant Hot Wheels track at 1200 km/h.

The team should have been given medals for choosing to prioritise framerate over everything. Medals for bravery and honour.
Anthony Flack

Postby The Ditch on Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:48 am

Anthony Flack wrote:But then they go and put out F-Zero X and everybody at the time was all BOO these graphics are moderately more blocky and primitive than the standard of blocky and primitive graphics we currently expect in 1998, therefore the game is not good. And not, for some reason, all YAY this game runs at a steady 60hz even with 30 cars on screen, that is frickin' amazing and also this is the most crazy intense racing game I have ever played and it will still be the best game of its kind 20 years from now.

The team should have been given medals for choosing to prioritise framerate over everything. Medals for bravery and honour.

Wholeheartedly agree. I sometimes wonder if part of the reason there's not been a new F-Zero game in years is because Nintendo simply perfected the series with F-Zero X, and any more titles would just be retreading the same ground or adding pointless fluff that gets in the way of the racing.

Yeah, they could make it look a bit prettier if they made it now. So what? I don't think Nintendo's ever been about prettiness for the sake of prettiness, things tend to look good enough and that seems to work fine.
The Ditch
sargent shriver
sargent shriver

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:58 pm

You've got boost power, friend.

Speaking of which, that is surely one of the simplest yet most brutally effective risk/reward mechanics ever devised. It ain't got to be complicated.

Actually, it's better if it's not. Nintendo are usually so far ahead of the curve when it comes to elegant design, people sometimes mistake that for being behind. They're not behind buddy, they're lapping you.

F-Zero GX was made all pretty and given all the frills and things that reviewers said it needed to be "updated" to "modern standards" but the tracks are too long, the frills are boring and it's less fun. Less is more.

I think maybe Nintendo learned after the Gamecube to stop trying to give people what they say they want, and just go fuck it we are gonna give people what they don't even know they want.
Anthony Flack

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion