63%
Bad.
16%
Don't care. Don't care.
21%

Total votes : 19

Spellcheck

Postby russ on Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:28 pm

There's a new feature when you post messages at the right bottom corner of the textarea where you type your message called, oddly enough, "SpellCheck". Feel free to use it and let us know if you have any problems using it or if you think it sucks or if you can't get it to work or don't know how to use it.
I haven't used all the features yet myself, so let me know if you think something isn't working the way it should.

russ

--
Imbesi's Law with Freeman's Extension:
In order for something to become clean, something else must become dirty; but you can get everything dirty without getting anything clean.
russ
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby djanes1 on Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:45 pm

Imbesi's Law with Freeman's Extension:
In order for something to become clean, something else must become dirty; but you can get everything dirty without getting anything clean.

thats kind of like the laws of thermodynamics...
djanes1
hank aaron
hank aaron

Postby ian on Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:25 pm

I think it's kind of annoying.. the interface is shoddy and it doesn't work very well. It tried to correct "hwo" with weird things like wo wa we.. nothing close to "how".

Oh well, what do you expect?
ian
convert
convert

yeah, but...

Postby russ on Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:07 am

ian wrote:I think it's kind of annoying.. the interface is shoddy and it doesn't work very well. It tried to correct "hwo" with weird things like wo wa we.. nothing close to "how".

I'm not sticking up for it, but I can't help but mention that at least it pointed out to you that you had spelled to word "how" wrong. That's a useful service in itself. That is, unless you let Intern_8033 proofread all your posts before you post them as I do.

russ (6:04am)
--
Life is like an onion: you peel off layer after layer and then you find
there is nothing in it.
-- James Huneker
russ
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

spelling and grammar

Postby nick92675 on Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:13 am

so, i'm not so sure i understand why everyone is so concerned with proper spelling and grammar here. if i'm writing a letter to a client, or to the cops or whomever else - then i'll take the time to spell check, use proper punctuation - and hell, even capitalize my sentences as appropriate. however, the communication on an internet message board isn't the same thing is it? in my mind it isn't at least. the medium seems to dictate or at least imply a sense of impermanence (hell - see the radar analog vs. digital debate going on). posting ideas on the internet, or digitally to me are kind of like notes, scrawled out on the back of a napkin - not a book or publication. while that seemed to be the one of the grand democratizing issues that the purveyors of the internet had us believe [publishing for the people - allowing the everyday bands to bypass record labels] - what we've in fact witnessed is an overload of horrible, self-indulgent blogs and crap joke bands [see mp3.com].

at any rate - i guess what i'm trying to say, is if you want to make a record, make a record. go to tape. do it right. if you're demoing ideas, or recording practice, use your computer - or some handheld thingy from walgreens. if you're writing for print - spellcheck - use proper grammar and syntax - but i mean, it's the internet for god's sake. spelling-schmelling.

so, i'm not gonna use it. i have no idea how many spelling errors i have in this post.
nick92675
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

spell check..

Postby Mayfair on Sun Aug 24, 2003 5:19 am

Nick, you did great! Although there were 25 instances of needing a capital where you had a lowercase letter, and the word 'gonna' could have been 'going to' but I think it is an accepted slang term.

Congrats!
Mayfair
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby slowriot on Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:29 am

i think it's more a question of how our society today communicates orally in general. since the internet became more mainstream, children and adolescents have learned to speak in cliches and both their grammar and oratory skills have disintegrated. maybe it's the fault of schools, but i think it's easier to blame using a method of communicating which does not place an emphasis on spelling correctly, punctuation and/or increasing one's vocabulary.

i'm 20, i guess you could say i've grown up during the internet boom, and i definitely find flaws in my writing or habits that have formed due to typing "shortcuts.
slowriot
saw big cat
saw big cat

Return to General Discussion