Re: silkworm/bottomless pit update

Postby the Classical on Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:18 am

Is the SKWM tote going to usurp my VU tote? I dunno man, maybe
the Classical
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby ldopa_chicago on Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:36 am

Major wrote:TUFF at the farmer's market (straight puttin' veg in that bag)

My favorite Earth Crisis song.
jimmy two hands wrote:Jam econo for fuck's sake.

I play guitar and act tougher than I am in Fake Limbs.
I played bass in Burn Permits.
ldopa_chicago
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby seanurban on Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:03 pm

Can i get a rub at the merch table?
seanurban
King High

Postby FrankyWins on Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:52 am

I want to start by saying that I have seen SKWM and BP combined twelve times or so, and I own the entire catalog of each band, including the split 7" with Robbie Fulks.

So, these bands have brought me countless hours of enjoyment. They owe me nothing. I hesitate to even bring this up.
FrankyWins

Postby FrankyWins on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:01 am

I want to start by saying that I have seen SKWM and BP combined twelve times or so, and I own the entire catalog of each band, including the split 7" with Robbie Fulks. So these bands have brought me countless hours of enjoyment. They owe me nothing.

I hesitate to even bring this up because who am I to judge? I'm just a fan of Tim & Andy. But, I just saw Mint Mile in Portland, and I am confounded about the arrangements. The rhythm section was inspired. I don't understand why you anyone would play a 12 string in a rock setting. And putting Andy in the corner with an acoustic guitar castrates one of the greatest guitarists of his generation.

Suffice it to say, I don't get it. Mind you, I don't have to get it. Maybe it's just not for me, and I'll just keep listening to the classic cuts. But I sure would love to hear the context of the band and this style of music.
FrankyWins

Postby FrankyWins on Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:08 am

I want to start by saying that I have seen SKWM and BP combined twelve times or so, and I own the entire catalog of each band, including the split 7" with Robbie Fulks. I have rubbed my meat with the Midyett Dust. So I am more than a little these bands have brought me countless hours of enjoyment. And I love them for that. They owe me nothing.

I hesitate to even bring this up because who am I to judge? I'm just a fan of Tim & Andy. But, I just saw Mint Mile in Portland, and I am baffled by the arrangements. The rhythm section was inspired. But, I don't understand why you anyone would play a 12 string in a rock setting. And, putting Andy in the corner with an acoustic guitar, no pedals and no leads, _castrates_ one of the greatest guitarists of his generation.

Suffice it to say, I don't get it. Mind you, I don't have to get it. Maybe it's just not for me, and I should just keep living in the past, listening to the classic cuts. But I sure would love to hear the context of the band and this style of music. Maybe some background on the philosophy of the band would help me to get with the program. Anyone know the motivations behind MM and why BP split the sheets?

Confounded in the Rose City
FrankyWins

Postby tmidgett on Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:10 pm

Hi Franky,

I just saw this. I know all about that stuff!

First, I came here to say:

From now until the end of 2015, the Crust Brothers' Marquee Mark and the Ein Heit album The Lightning and the Sun are $5 each at the Silkworm shop. Geez that is cheap I'm not even sure I want to do that considering that it includes shipping. But there it is. After that, fuck it, they're normal price forever. You can get them from me via PM if the ancient website is hard to navigate.

Second, I also came here to say:

Hammer of the Gods--the first BP record--came out eight years ago as of Nov 6.

To commemorate that occasion, starting next week, we (Comedy Minus One and also the band, on both sites) will be selling a bundle of the whole discography on sale. All four records on vinyl plus the 2CD Lottery comp (which has three extra trax). Fifty bucks.

You can PM for details if you want one now, or you can wait for me to announce it here next week. Or you can just not concern yourself with it! The BP site will also offer sale prices on everything except Shade Perennial (which remains at normal price except when bundled with the other stuff). Sale pricing through November.

Finally:

I have had the sound for MM in my head for a long time. Since before Michael died--we had discussed folding it into what we were doing in the Worm. If I described it the way I think about it, it would sound really pretentious and dumb, so I'll just say it's a lighter, layered, more spaced-out sound than any of the other stuff.

I knew it would be hard to do with the Pit the way it was, given the amt of time we had together as a group. Plus I didn't want Andy to have to shoehorn anything into my notions. Plus I felt like the band had run its course. I don't think BP could make a better record than Shade Perennial--which took three years to get that way--and I didn't really want to try.

So we broke up, and I started doing the Mint Mile stuff.

Live, it is undeniably a work in progress and is different every single time. Not by design, just because that's the way it is. It never sounds the way I expect it to sound, and I've embraced that as being part of the process of working it out. I'm often pretty delighted with it...surprised in a good way.

I don't disagree with you re Andy playing acoustic live--I like the 12-string a lot, but two acoustics gets a little samey w/o our slide player (who was not at the PDX show). Last show we did here, AC played electric (a very cute little Danelectro), and I liked it quite a bit more. And I'm working on a 12-string electric baritone solution...which may or may not supplant my acoustic adventure.

The first record does what I wanted it to do, so if you don't like that...sorry! Ha ha! The records will have different kindsa stuff on 'em as they get made, so maybe at some point we'll hit you where you live again.

Anyway, I'm sure plenty of people don't like it as much, and that's OK, just like it's neat that some people are super into it. We all like what we like, and this is right where I want to be right now. I'm glad you have appreciated the other stuff so much, and I surely am pleased any of it matters to you still!

Very best always--
TM
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Carl on Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:33 pm

tmidgett wrote:I'm working on a 12-string electric baritone solution...

Jesus.

What string gauge and tuning do you have in mind?

Jesus.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:39 am

Ordered the Bottomless Pit bundle today and my Silkworm bundle from Touch and Go is almost here. November is a pretty good month for these bands.
Verbs & Nouns
makeup artist
makeup artist

Postby eliya on Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:52 am

I got an email from Touch and Go yesterday saying that my LP copy of It'll Be Cool + tote bag shipped. It's coming from Michigan, which is odd, but it'll be cool.

I'm guessing some copies are still left? Go get them!
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby motorbike guy on Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:47 pm

FrankyWins wrote:I want to start by saying that I have seen SKWM and BP combined twelve times or so, and I own the entire catalog of each band, including the split 7" with Robbie Fulks. I have rubbed my meat with the Midyett Dust. So I am more than a little these bands have brought me countless hours of enjoyment. And I love them for that. They owe me nothing.

I hesitate to even bring this up because who am I to judge? I'm just a fan of Tim & Andy. But, I just saw Mint Mile in Portland, and I am baffled by the arrangements. The rhythm section was inspired. But, I don't understand why you anyone would play a 12 string in a rock setting. And, putting Andy in the corner with an acoustic guitar, no pedals and no leads, _castrates_ one of the greatest guitarists of his generation.

Suffice it to say, I don't get it. Mind you, I don't have to get it. Maybe it's just not for me, and I should just keep living in the past, listening to the classic cuts. But I sure would love to hear the context of the band and this style of music. Maybe some background on the philosophy of the band would help me to get with the program. Anyone know the motivations behind MM and why BP split the sheets?

Confounded in the Rose City

are you, by any chance, German?
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby tmidgett on Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:11 pm

Carl wrote:
tmidgett wrote:I'm working on a 12-string electric baritone solution...

Jesus.

What string gauge and tuning do you have in mind?

Jesus.

I play a Martin J12SO right now, which is an acoustic 12-string baritone. Which I love. and it's like this:

012/013
018w/018w
026w/011
034w/016
047w/023w
070w/034w

Why 012/013 on top? I dunno. It's the Pete Seeger model and if it was good enough for him then OK.

Tuned to B, sometimes drop A. Live basically B because any tuning of a 12-string during a show is enough.

Recently discovered it's the ideal tuning in which to play A Night Like This.

eliya wrote:I got an email from Touch and Go yesterday saying that my LP copy of It'll Be Cool + tote bag shipped. It's coming from Michigan, which is odd, but it'll be cool.

I'm guessing some copies are still left? Go get them!

Si, copies left, Jon has some at Comedy Minus One and out in two days at TnG site I think.

The tote bags are cute. I like 'em. Just right for LPs.

motorbike guy wrote:are you, by any chance, German?

Ha ha! No way that guy is German. Way too even-handed.

I like that critique. Much appreciated. It's cool to me that someone would think about it that much.
tmidgett

Postby kerble on Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:41 pm

tmidgett wrote:The tote bags are cute. I like 'em. Just right for LPs.

kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby tallchris on Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:12 pm

HOLY SHIT IT'S HERE:

Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:59 pm

Got the tote and "It'll Be Cool" LP delivered today. So stoked. The white vinyl looks and sounds awesome.
Verbs & Nouns
makeup artist
makeup artist

Postby Johnny C on Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:28 pm

I am sure this thread is full of this sort of thing but the Mint Mile record is amazing to me, it is as spacious and warm a record as I have ever heard. It is as tender and intimate as a breath, and so idiosyncratic and unique. Fully its own thing. I like it a great deal.
Rick Reuben wrote:None of us is the person we were supposed to be.

these estates | architects & builders | delta throats | plywood | oiseaux
Johnny C
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby prowler on Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:11 am

welp, the bottomless pit pack + it'll be cool just arrived here in bumfuck eastern europe! and FMjs threw in a bunch of extras. cheers!!!!!!
prowler
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:39 am

prowler wrote:welp, the bottomless pit pack + it'll be cool just arrived here in bumfuck eastern europe! and FMjs threw in a bunch of extras. cheers!!!!!!

Awesome.

Can't wait for mine to arrive.
Verbs & Nouns
makeup artist
makeup artist

Postby Major on Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:41 am

It'll Be Cool arrived last week. It has the slightest warp, but sounds fine on my turntable.

I brought it up to the bar and we listened to it on a little shitty Numark portable guy. The warp is noticeable as it's playing, but somehow it sounds perfect. My friend that never heard the album said, "That's fucking rad the way they constantly drag behind the beat".

Even a fucked up copy of a SKWM record rules.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:14 am

Verbs & Nouns wrote:
prowler wrote:welp, the bottomless pit pack + it'll be cool just arrived here in bumfuck eastern europe! and FMjs threw in a bunch of extras. cheers!!!!!!

Awesome.

Can't wait for mine to arrive.

Got it today. So stoked. Thanks for the extras as well, and I know the perfect person to give the sticker too.
Verbs & Nouns
makeup artist
makeup artist

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion