home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Deaf

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Deaf

Postby Hosoi on Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:46 pm

How do I stop myself from going deaf?

Normal earplugs take out all the high end, which means I can't hear what I'm doing.

I don't have a tinnitus problem yet, but at what point does the ringing never stop?

I also have an earwax problem. I produce enough of it for a fucking séance.
Hosoi
boutros boutros-ghali
boutros boutros-ghali

Postby XBangyrdead on Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:11 pm

They do make filtered earplugs. Different types allowing different levels of high end, mid, and low frequency or decibels. They let in way more sound than normal earplugs and just block out the damaging levels of sound. That might help!
XBangyrdead
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby knightsy on Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:43 am

Sorry, what are you wearing the earphones for? What are you doing?
knightsy

Postby MTAR on Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:43 am

Etymotic Research is a company that makes custom, frequency flat earplugs. They are custom molded to fit your ear, and they can accept 3 different attenuation pads. A 10 dB, 15dB and 20dB pad is available. They are all relatively flat, however The 15 dB pad, aka the "Engineer's Pad", is the flattest of the three. You can check the link to their website above for more details. I have a pair of the 15 dB pads and am very happy with them. They are a huge step up from regular earplugs. Another feature of the earmmolds is to be able to insert earphones, which are also made by etyomtic research. The earphones fit into the same pocket that the pads do, and they are supposedly very accurate. They are great for on location recordings where you want to isolate yourself from what's happening around you. I believe they provide up to 40 dB of isolation from outside sources.

mike
MTAR
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

deaf

Postby sixteenrev on Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:33 am

wow. thanks for that. i just ordered a pair of the earplugs.

i have a pair which an audiologist made for me a couple of years ago for $150, and they suck. they're maybe a little better than kleenex, and they irritate my skin. there at least a 10 db loss in the high end. so i never end up using them. (im a guitarist) i like to hear the attack of the notes.

my inevitable deafness causes me quite a bit of anxiety. i would appreciate any information anybody has on this topic

Ari
sixteenrev
pod
pod

Postby tmidgett on Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:47 am

hey

my filtered earplugs were made by westone

they have the little snap-in filter guys on the end

i think mine are 25dB

not the same as no earplugs--i can't wear them onstage, still

but good enough for everything else--watching live shows, practicing, etc.

earwax: do you have a little rubber splooshy ball? sorry, i don't know the technical name. ask at the pharmacy for a little rubber splooshy ball to get the fuckin' wax out of your ears. use warm water and put it in at an angle, splooshing over the sink, gently at first. you can get amazing and disgusting shit outta there. you might need drops if the wax buildup is heavy. i have to sploosh every few months, myself.

tm
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby SchnappM on Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:29 am

Bulb syringe.
SchnappM
pinocchio
pinocchio

Postby Justin Foley on Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:35 pm

The best part of using the bulb syringe was criminally skipped over by Mr. Midgett: Hydrogen Peroxide. When you put it in you hear the wonderful sizzling noise as the peroxide chews away at that grody build-up. Great to whoosh in and out instead of water. For interesting results, you can use it on the beach on a sunny day and let the run-off get all over your hair.

Obvious things -

1. When using the bulb syringe before an important recording session, give your ears at least a few hours to settle. All that fluid running in and out and the rearrangement of the waxy buildup can fuck with your immediate perception.

2. I know everyone knows this, but keep Q-Tips the hell away from your ear canal. In fact, just barely stick the bulb on the syringe inside when using it. I like to think I'm pretty unflappable, but the phrase "punctured ear drum" gives me the complete willies.

3. Clearing buildup our of your ears gives you a clearer but more vulnerable position to sound. If you wash out your pipes, get those earplugs in before hitting the rock scene.

= Justin, who has a really gross and cool story about cleaning out ears
Justin Foley
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby sakes on Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:47 pm

I have never used earplugs. I haven't noticed much hearing loss in the 13 years that I've played rock music. I say "much" because I'm sure there is some, I've just never been tested.
Lately, I've been using the semi-jokey excuse "what will I need my sensitive hearing for in my old age?" with my earplug-wearing bandmates.
But I really do think that I'd rather use up my eardrums now than later!

It's bad advice from a stupid old man, that's what it is.

Anyway...
sakes
redd foxx
redd foxx

Postby sixteenrev on Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:11 pm

Sakes.. ..
you may already know this but..

The 13 years of exposure without noticable loss is not a way to gauge what's really going on.

Hearing loss normally does not kick in until middle-age, unless you have some sort of unrelated medical condition. You might go until age 45 or 50 as you are now before you notice any loss, and then go completely deaf. and deafness fucking sucks in the worst way..

Ari

Another tip- Ginkgo Biloba cured my tinnitus. It doesn't work for everyone, apparently, but anyone kept up at night by the ringing may wan to give it a try.
sixteenrev
pod
pod

Postby sakes on Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:15 pm

I'll be 40 in 5 months. :cry:

Yeah, it's foolhardy. Kids- don't do what I done.
sakes
redd foxx
redd foxx

wax!

Postby spoot on Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:43 pm

Regarding the wax problem: I've had ear problems over the last two or three years, all beginning at some point when I leapt into water and the pressure on entry fucked up my right ear. It got all stuffed up, I couldn't get the water out no matter how hard I tried - and it ended up lasting days, several painful and uncomfortable days of not being able to hear out of my right ear.

I discovered that every time I went in the water this same thing would happen: a fucking painful ear infection or something. I started wearing a waterproof earplug in my right ear when I swam, and plugging my ear with my finger when I took a bath.

This went on for years! Until a few months ago when I got what I thought was mono. My doctor looked in my right ear with his light-thingy and shrieked. It was filled with crud! He shot my ear full of water over and over, and couldn't get the crud out. My ear immediately stuffed up, as I knew it would, and added considerably to my already severe discomfort. Fucking ear infection! I told my doctor this! But he said, no, it's not an infection; you've just got too much crap in your ear.

When I got over my illness I went on a serious ear-cleaning bender: over-the-counter wax softening drops, followed by warm-water bulb-syringe treatments... always followed by days of discomfort and the familiar inability to hear out of my right ear.

One day, a week or two into the bender, the most amazing thing came out of my ear. I wish I had a photograph to show you! It was as big as a bumblebee and hard as a rock, and when it was gone, it changed my life: I can hear better, and I can bathe and swim without fear of "ear infections."

My friends, clean out your ears!
spoot
puggy pearson
puggy pearson

Postby Hosoi on Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:28 pm

I was hoping you'd say:

"Don't worry, you don't need ear plugs, and you'll never go deaf!"

and

"If you do this thing, you won't get excess ear wax ever again!"

Man, I know all about the fucking ear wax. I have to go and get my ears cleaned out once a month. This squishy testicle thing, no one's ever mentioned this to me before. Maybe it's not approved in my country. I think I asked once, and they said that I couldn't have my own ear syringe because I could potentially perforate my ear drums.

The thing with ear plugs is that, like a Q-tip, they push the wax and debris further into the canal. See, I have other debris, too. It's like dry skin, but it's in my ear canals. It just flakes off and chills with the wax and they have a party until I go deaf.

Once, I couldn't stand it, and I tried to break up the party with a Q-tip, and I got an ear infection. The doctor gave me these drops, and after a week, I still couldn't hear anything. I went back to the doctor, and she flushed out a white piece of shit that was a perfect mold of my ear canal. For some reason, the ear drops didn't absorb. They just solidified in my ear.

This is sick. Trust me, though. I'm super good looking.
Hosoi
boutros boutros-ghali
boutros boutros-ghali

Postby greasygoose on Mon Jul 28, 2003 5:36 pm

spoot wrote:Regarding the wax problem: I've had ear problems over the last two or three years, all beginning at some point when I leapt into water and the pressure on entry fucked up my right ear. It got all stuffed up, I couldn't get the water out no matter how hard I tried - and it ended up lasting days, several painful and uncomfortable days of not being able to hear out of my right ear.

Spoot,

You poor bastard. I'm no doctor, but from the tale you've told, it sounds like you suffered a not-so typical case of otitis externa, otherwise known as swimmer's ear. This is not an infection caused by the "pressure on entry" but from bacteria and fungi entering the ear canal while you are submerged.

What I can't believe is that you went on with life for years while this problem persisted! I developed swimmer's ear while on vacation a couple years ago. It hurt like hell for a few days, so I went to the doctor soon after I returned home. He flushed out my ears as you've described, and fitted them with a cotton wick. I had to administer drops in my ears for a few days afterward, but the pain gradually subsided.

My friends, clean out your ears!

And please use some common sense. If you are experiencing "a fucking painful ear infection or something," see a damn doctor. Even if you don't have medical insurance, it's a much better decision than putting up with a nagging pain all the while you're developing a serious problem.

-greasygoose
greasygoose
envoy
envoy

Postby R Clem on Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:38 pm

I am intrigued by the Hydrogen Peroxide suggestion. Is that a safe thing to be pouring in your ears? Is there a doctorb in the house?
R Clem
scout
scout

Postby R Clem on Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:39 pm

I am intrigued by the Hydrogen Peroxide suggestion. Is that a safe thing to be pouring in your ears? Is there a doctorb in the house?
R Clem
scout
scout

Postby Justin Foley on Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:50 pm

Once, I couldn't stand it, and I tried to break up the party with a Q-tip, and I got an ear infection. The doctor gave me these drops, and after a week, I still couldn't hear anything. I went back to the doctor, and she flushed out a white piece of shit that was a perfect mold of my ear canal. For some reason, the ear drops didn't absorb. They just solidified in my ear.

THIS EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME. And I'm not so good looking. The worst thing was that the impacted buildup totally threw off my balance when it first happened. By the time that I was in the doc's office, I had acclimated. The nurse flushed the thing off my ear and my balance was abruptly thrown back to normal. Between the un-dis-equilibrium and the rushing water against my eardrum, it felt like I'd been smacked by a baseball bat.

Was actually recommended to me by the nurse above, and it helped loosen that beast out of my poor left ear. In all fairness, though, she told me to dilute it 1:1 with regular water.

She was so intrigued/horrified by the 3/4 inch long pus-white deposit that she lost all professional demeanor, yelling "Ew! Look at that!". So maybe you will want to get a more pro opinion. Note that this treatment works best when you can rest your head on something and let the hyd-per sit in your ear for a little bit, breaking up the offending wax mass. Do this for a few minutes in each ear, then go in for the attack with your bulb syringe. Or you can use a turkey baster.

= Justin
Justin Foley

Postby XBangyrdead on Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:13 pm

Shit, that's freaky. I never thought that a wax problem could be that severe. Sounds yummy!
XBangyrdead
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby MTAR on Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:46 am

When I was about 10 years of age, I went through this obsessive compulsion of soaping up my inner ear in the shower, and then shooting a sharp stream of water from the shower head into my ear (brilliant, I know). I thought this was a good way to keep my ears clean. After about a year of doing this, I developed an extruciating pain in my right ear. I went to go see the family doctor. He told me there was something adhered deep inside my inner ear. He tried the mega-stream of H2O2 for a couple minutes and the pain was unbearable. Nothing came out. He looked in my ear again, and the foreign substance had not even budged. It turns out that it was a year's worth of soap, dirt and wax that had built up, hardened and adhered to the side of my inner ear. What's worse is that there was a huge pimple that formed underneath it, which was greatly contributing to the pain. He had to operate. He took a pair of "medical" needle nose pliers to the growth in my ear and pulled. And pulled some more. Eventually he started yanking, and finally got it out. He then had to squeeze the puss out of the resulting pimple-wound and follow up with some disinfecting blasts of H2O2, which at this point didn't feel like anything since my ear was numb with pain. I would rather get a tatoo on my ear drum than go trough that again.
MTAR

Postby e_shaun on Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:16 am

michaeltheangryrussian wrote:When I was about 10 years of age, I went through this obsessive compulsion of soaping up my inner ear in the shower, and then shooting a sharp stream of water from the shower head into my ear (brilliant, I know).

I had a relatively successful mastering engineer suggest the water-stream-up-the-ear approach in conjunction with warm olive oil poured in the canal to clean one's ears. He swore by it, pointing to how many thousands of albums he had mastered.

Needless to say, he'll never master one of my productions. :wink:
E. Shaun Russell
Independent Producer
e_shaun@uniserve.com
Moderator at The Womb
e_shaun
novitiate
novitiate

Next

Return to General Discussion