home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Buying a Drum Kit

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Buying a Drum Kit

Postby Tommy on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:42 pm

N1ck wrote:Look at this stupid company that calls themselves the "luxury drum brand." Dudes with coiffed beards who like Band of Horses are all over it. I just don't get it. The shit's ugly, for starters. I don't care how good it sounds. You look like a pussy playing it.

https://www.anfdrumco.com/

I know someone else out there must be aggro about this movement too.

I can't get into the shitty logos and gastropub-light-fixture-looking hardware they adorn them with, but the shells themselves look pretty nice.
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Redline on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:38 pm

...And then you have to drum like Levon Helm until you sell them...
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby total_douche on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:43 pm

I bought my Tama Rockstar kit (with an Acrolite for a snare) off Craigslist for $450; I've been pretty happy with it. That's all I know on the subject. It came with a bunch of cymbals and hardware, but I gave almost all of that away to my brother because I liked the Pearl hardware and cymbals I had on-hand from my first kit more. My first kit was a real piece of work; a no-name affair I got from my sister for $50 - just the shells, I mean, I got the cymbals from a friend, and the hardware I bought new.

So yeah, Craigslist and burned out white suburbanites = cheap drums.
total_douche
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby dontfeartheringo on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:24 pm

N1ck wrote:You know what trend I'm really, really sick of in the drum manufacturing community right now is the need to make all these stupid "artisanal" products.

Little leather-bound drum keys and bass drum beaters in different shapes that give you special sounds and canvas roll-up stick bags. The fuck outta here with that shit!

There's too many drum companies in general.

Look at this stupid company that calls themselves the "luxury drum brand." Dudes with coiffed beards who like Band of Horses are all over it. I just don't get it. The shit's ugly, for starters. I don't care how good it sounds. You look like a pussy playing it.

https://www.anfdrumco.com/

I know someone else out there must be aggro about this movement too.

I always ask guys who start talking about building drums "Is there some sound you're looking for that doesn't exist from drums that are already made? Is there some hole in the market that you feel like needs to be filled?"

I mean, there are 100 years of Ludwigs out there. There were dudes throwing down $3k for C&C kits two years ago. Those drums sounded like wet pillows to me.

So.... watch that space this year and see what happens.

These A&F drums are chasing the hipster, thuddy wet drum sound, which last peaked for about three years on either side of the brave year 1978. I mean, if someone wants to make drums in the United States, we're at least nominally on the same team, but sustaining it won't be easy. Most people who buy drums only buy one drum kit that costs more than $1000 in a lifetime, if that.

We'll see how it goes.
tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
dontfeartheringo
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby bishopdante on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:48 am

I dunno about "hole in the market", but for $2450 and 10 weeks waiting time said company will furnish a customer with this...

*28 inch snare drum?!*

https://www.anfdrumco.com/collections/s ... gong-snare

phpBB [media]

It is presumably... hard to miss?
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby N1ck on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:09 pm

That snare is hilarious.

I definitely feel like we're in a dark time right now as far as tastes in drum sounds go. Almost every kid in his twenties that I see out on gigs has one of those "Big fat snare drum" overlays on his snare. They're all trying to do that Levon Helm thing regardless of whether it's appropriate for the music or not.

People are stupid. They'll jump on the bandwagon for anything.
N1ck
dr. j
dr. j

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:20 pm

dontfeartheringo wrote:Most people who buy drums only buy one drum kit that costs more than $1000 in a lifetime, if that.

But what if you can convince people to buy things like a $2500 novelty snare drum that's hopeless for just about any purpose? That way you won't cut into your base market at all.
Anthony Flack
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby djimbe on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:31 am

bishopdante wrote:
phpBB [media]

It is presumably... hard to miss?

Nobody would be able to miss that there is a giant coffee table of a drum back there.

it sounds like a regular ol' snare to me. Of course, I've only been playing regular snare drums for 40 years so what do I know? On the plus side, it does do a mean shimmy-shimmy-coco-bop while it's being played non aggressively and none of my current snares do that.
djimbe
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby mmmribsmmm on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:34 pm

Those A & F drums look like they were conceived in the tile aisle of Lowe's or Home Depot. Are you supposed to line your shower with them? Does the patina match the drapes?
http://steadystateskc.bandcamp.com/

"Get in the car, I'm from the future."
mmmribsmmm
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby N1ck on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:49 pm

Dude, I can't believe that snare is $2,500. What kind of asshole would ever even CONSIDER spending that kinda dough on something like that?
N1ck
dr. j
dr. j

Postby dvockins on Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:04 pm

I think that 28" snare is funny. I wouldn't buy it, but I sure as shit would want to dick around with it for a half hour.

I think someone could do OK doing a hardware/stand company.
dvockins
alan's bitch
alan's bitch

Postby biscuitdough on Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:20 pm

That giant snare is incredibly dumb.

Drummers now seem to be either all about the super deep bass drum thing or vintage style with reinforcement rings, wood hoops, etc.

Better or worse than 90s power toms or 80s super deep floor toms or 70s single-headed everything except the snare? Not for me to say.
biscuitdough
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:07 pm

N1ck wrote:Dude, I can't believe that snare is $2,500. What kind of asshole would ever even CONSIDER spending that kinda dough on something like that?

Just wait until it's time to replace the heads. Are they putting standard kick drum heads on it?
Anthony Flack

Postby N1ck on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:10 pm

90s power toms are still kinda awesome, if you ask me. I have an old Tama kit with them. Definitely not good for bebop.
N1ck
dr. j
dr. j

Previous

Return to General Discussion