home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Buying a Drum Kit

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Postby evanrowe on Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:57 am

Play as many different kits as you can. It'll give you an idea of what shell sizes you like for what you'll be doing. This matters a lot with acoustic drums. Buying secondhand is the best idea for your first kit.
You guys probably have more of the the good Premier kits. We have all the Ludwigs. As mentioned earlier, the older Pearl Export and Tama Rockstar and especially Imperialstar are good stuff. Make them let you take the heads off at least one drum to check the bearing edges. Make sure the shells are still round and not delaminating. See if the hoops are in good shape. Hardware you can get separately, so don't worry too much about what comes with the kit.
Buy good cymbals and try to take care of them. None of the budget cymbal packs sound good.
I third or fourth the kick pedal thing. You'll get used to its particular feel, and having it feel right keeps your leg from getting too tired. The DW5000 and the awesomely-named Iron Cobra from Tama have lots of room for adjustment. They show up used a lot. The Iron Cobra high-hat stand is nice for transport in the way it disassembles.

Want to geek out? Prof. Sound can help you with that.

Congratulations! Fun times!
Ty Webb wrote:The gutters are filled with bullets, blood and bacon. No room for "petrol".

Maple Stave
Today's Forecast
Heather Loves Silkworm!
evanrowe
agnes martin
agnes martin

Postby Rotten Tanx on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:16 pm

Thanks again for all your input.

I bought the local classifieds paper and these are the offers (I wrote them verbatim). Please let me know if any of these are worth snapping up. Thank you, you are all beautiful!

Black Rat Drum Kit Metallic blue 5 piece kit with ride, hi-hat, and crash cymbal, bass drum pedal and stool included. Good condition. 190.00 ono

Performance Percussion 2 tommys, floor tommy, base, snare, hi-hat, cymbal, cow bell, plus extras. Suit beginner. £120 ono

Pearl Export Kit Black 4 shell kit with piccolo snare, hardware, some replacement drum heads and full set of hard cases. Idea practice/gigging kit. £200 ono

Peavey International Peavey int. li drum kit in lack - full kit incl. cymbals, stool and sticks. Good condition. £180 ono.

Sonor 5 piece, vgc, with stool, cymbals, cow bell, sticks, plus extras, £250 ono

Stag Drum kit, 5pc, plus high hat and cymbals, hardley used, beginners dvd and book. £200 ovno NC
Rotten Tanx
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby rayj on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:26 pm

I cannot recommend this link enough:

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/
rayj
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby rayj on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:28 pm

Man, I just posted it, and someone beat me to the punch. Sorry...self-Kerble.
rayj

Postby vockins on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:50 pm

Rotten Tanx wrote:Pearl Export Kit Black 4 shell kit with piccolo snare, hardware, some replacement drum heads and full set of hard cases. Idea practice/gigging kit. £200 ono

Sell/trade the piccolo for something not stupid and this is a pretty good deal, condition considered, of course.

Sonor 5 piece, vgc, with stool, cymbals, cow bell, sticks, plus extras, £250 ono
This is another potential winner, but some Sonors are total dogshit. Worth checking out.
vockins
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Rotten Tanx on Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:59 pm

Alas, none of those panned out.

I have an additional question for you guys.

What is your set-up? How many toms and cymbals do you have and is this directly related to the style of music you play or is it just your personal preference?
Rotten Tanx
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby burndaddy on Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:29 am

If money is tight, get the nicest snare you can afford. Early chrome Ludwigs are a dime a dozen (here in the US at least) and sound great. Play it a lot -- learn its expressiveness and develop your voicing. You're now a drummer. Add a kick and hats when you find some more cash. Incorporate these new instruments into your snare work. This is everything you need to play most styles of music.

Next, keep your eyes open for a ride/crash or two -- add rack and floor toms as you run across orphaned cheapos. Now you can play like that dream theater dork!

Smaller kits are easier to gig, cost less, take less work to keep up and are easier to keep in tune. They also provide less musical distractions and will never leave anyone wanting for more in the hands of a competent drummer.
burndaddy
homestar
homestar

Postby syntaxfree07 on Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:19 pm

Rotten Tanx wrote:Alas, none of those panned out.

I have an additional question for you guys.

What is your set-up? How many toms and cymbals do you have and is this directly related to the style of music you play or is it just your personal preference?

Tiny cymbals and toms are for weenies. Snare and bass are at the forefront of everything I play. Partly because I'm a shitty drummer... The other reason being that they seem to have more balls than anything else.
boombats wrote:Zumba Sally and iPad Phil are crying into their lattes, and I don't give a shit.
syntaxfree07
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Re: Buying a Drum Kit

Postby John W. on Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:55 am

Bumping an old thread here. I'm toying with the idea of learning how to play drums. The few times I've messed around I've sucked horribly, but I'm so tired of loops... so so tired. I want to have real drums in my recordings. This thread has been helpful and is giving me good ideas on how to get started. One question, how long does it take to sound semi-smooth? My drumming currently resembles The Shaggs.
John W.
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby dontfeartheringo on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:01 am

John W. wrote:Bumping an old thread here. I'm toying with the idea of learning how to play drums. The few times I've messed around I've sucked horribly, but I'm so tired of loops... so so tired. I want to have real drums in my recordings. This thread has been helpful and is giving me good ideas on how to get started. One question, how long does it take to sound semi-smooth? My drumming currently resembles The Shaggs.

The fact that you hear the problem is good news.

There are people out there gigging who, uh, don't.

Just play a lot. Enjoy it. Don't worry too much about how you sound, because you'll get better the more you play, and that's all you REALLY need to worry about.
tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
dontfeartheringo
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Adam I on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:04 am

I've been playing for about a year, and I play well enough to do the drumming on my own recordings without sounding like a complete spazz. I feel compelled to suggest that you (as well as buying a kit) buy a silent practice pad and use it to learn rudiments. Learning rudiments will speed-up your transition from hopeless to hopeful massively. At least that's been my experience.

You can sit around watching TV or listening to the radio playing rudiments on autopilot, just as you might play an unplugged electric guitar. I actually enjoy doing it, but even if you don't, it's great for unspazzing your chops.

Also, don't immediately buy heavy sticks just because they ROCK HARD, as tempting as it might be.
Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti.
Adam I
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Pibroch on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:38 am

Get a good set of in-canal buds and play along with your favorite tunes. Find a complex song, play along with it, even if you suck. Make recordings of yourself playing, try to master it.

Also, I've fallen into this trap and I don't know if I can rescue myself. Don't over-exert yourself. Learn to use your wrists and not your arms, or you'll find yourself running out of endurance when you play fast/complex stuff.

Otherwise play along with music, that's one of the best things you can do, besides rudiments. Keeping a beat is something that's hard to do all on your lonesome.
Marsupialized wrote:Let me just empty my balls with joy.

johnfernandez wrote:i am playing this game in my friends home.this is fantastic ever
game
Pibroch
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby Barbo on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:52 am

dontfeartheringo wrote:There are people out there gigging who, uh, don't.

Why are you looking at me?

Jon
Barbo

Postby vockins on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:31 am

Pibroch wrote:Get a good set of in-canal buds and play along with your favorite tunes. Find a complex song, play along with it, even if you suck.

For every King Crimson song you play with, play with an Al Green song. Or anything featuring Booker T. & the MGs.
vockins
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby SecondEdition on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:47 am

Best of luck in finding a drum kit, Mr. Tanx.

Some people have said make sure the bass drum pedal is good. I would really stress this. I am a terrible drummer, but the few times I've been able to play drums well has been because of a good (or well set-up) bass drum pedal.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Pibroch on Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:28 pm

vockins wrote:
Pibroch wrote:Get a good set of in-canal buds and play along with your favorite tunes. Find a complex song, play along with it, even if you suck.

For every King Crimson song you play with, play with an Al Green song. Or anything featuring Booker T. & the MGs.

Yes, forgot to clarify this, play simple or just well-performed tunes in addition to complex ones. I toss in some Beatles tunes once in awhile or some Motown just to keep myself thinking about the basics.
Marsupialized wrote:Let me just empty my balls with joy.

johnfernandez wrote:i am playing this game in my friends home.this is fantastic ever
game
Pibroch
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby John W. on Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:33 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll give it my best shot.
John W.

Postby Ruy Lopez on Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:35 pm

Ruy Lopez
jose raul capablanca
jose raul capablanca

Postby Rotten Tanx on Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:41 am

SecondEdition wrote:Best of luck in finding a drum kit, Mr. Tanx.

Thanks, but this thread was a couple of years ago.

The band I was in fell apart and I went back to guitar with my old band. Just started a new band as a drummer though.

My uncle ended up giving me a drumkit that he found in the street. Someone had left it out for the binmen. It just sat in my room until we set it up for the drummer in our band to use. I don't know where it is now.
Rotten Tanx
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby N1ck on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:15 pm

You know what trend I'm really, really sick of in the drum manufacturing community right now is the need to make all these stupid "artisanal" products.

Little leather-bound drum keys and bass drum beaters in different shapes that give you special sounds and canvas roll-up stick bags. The fuck outta here with that shit!

There's too many drum companies in general.

Look at this stupid company that calls themselves the "luxury drum brand." Dudes with coiffed beards who like Band of Horses are all over it. I just don't get it. The shit's ugly, for starters. I don't care how good it sounds. You look like a pussy playing it.

https://www.anfdrumco.com/

I know someone else out there must be aggro about this movement too.
N1ck
dr. j
dr. j

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion