home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Montreal Advice

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Montreal Advice

Postby alex maiolo on Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:12 pm

The Future of Music Coalition is doing the Policy Summit in Montreal this year during Pop Montreal.

I have FMC stuff to do during the day, and bands to see at night, but I'm going to make time to see this town, which I hear is great.

Any suggestions? I'm staying right across the street from McGill's music dept.

Thanks
-A

(also, any of you who can hop over to the Tech Forum to answer my "Recording a Panel" question will be owed a favor)
dontfeartheringo wrote:If $100 is too much for you to spend on a microphone maybe you should find a new hobby. People like you seem to like Magic: The Gathering a lot.
alex maiolo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby alex maiolo on Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:07 pm

Uh, anyone?

-A
dontfeartheringo wrote:If $100 is too much for you to spend on a microphone maybe you should find a new hobby. People like you seem to like Magic: The Gathering a lot.
alex maiolo

Re: Montreal Advice

Postby chet on Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:21 pm

alex maiolo wrote:The Future of Music Coalition is doing the Policy Summit in Montreal this year during Pop Montreal.

I have FMC stuff to do during the day, and bands to see at night, but I'm going to make time to see this town, which I hear is great.

Any suggestions? I'm staying right across the street from McGill's music dept.

Thanks
-A

(also, any of you who can hop over to the Tech Forum to answer my "Recording a Panel" question will be owed a favor)

Youre coming at a great time - Pop Montreal has a ton of bands playing all over the city. Goto www.popmontreal.com and check out whose playing.

What kind of points of interest are you looking for? What kind of bands do you like? Im sure I can recommend a few things.

- Chet
chet
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby clocker bob on Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:25 pm

Rue St. Catherine is the main street for all entertainment and clubs. All kinds of restaurants. Old Montreal is great, there's a good contemporary art museum, a nice river walk, great public transit.

wiki has you covered:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Montreal
clocker bob

Postby chet on Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:54 pm

EDIT
Last edited by chet on Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chet
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby alex maiolo on Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:24 pm

This is great.

I'm staying on Sherbrooke, right across the street from McGill's music school.

We're actually helping to put Pop Montreal on. That's why I'm going.
I have a few shows that I want to see, but I also want to see the town. I've never been to a Canadian city I didn't like.

Any can't miss restaurants in my area?

Thanks!
-A
alex maiolo

Postby slowriot on Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:31 pm

a friend (who sometimes posts on this board) went to mcgill and knows a lot of cool places. he calls miami the best dive bar in montreal. he likes drinking at biftek too, where patrons get free boxes of popcorn with their obscenely cheap pitchers. both of those are on ste. laurent. rue ste catherine is probably the most common street for entertainment, as stated above, but the last time i went to visit him we spent a lot of time on sts. laurent and denis.

there were tons of great record stores that were SUPER CHEAP. one was called l'oblique, one was called beatnik. i think the latter might have closed.
slowriot
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby chet on Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:36 am

slowriot wrote:a friend (who sometimes posts on this board) went to mcgill and knows a lot of cool places. he calls miami the best dive bar in montreal. he likes drinking at biftek too, where patrons get free boxes of popcorn with their obscenely cheap pitchers. both of those are on ste. laurent. rue ste catherine is probably the most common street for entertainment, as stated above, but the last time i went to visit him we spent a lot of time on sts. laurent and denis.

there were tons of great record stores that were SUPER CHEAP. one was called l'oblique, one was called beatnik. i think the latter might have closed.

Miami is a good dive, but my moneys on Barfly (also on st. laurent) for the best dive. Complete shithole, but in the best sense possible. Also, for Pop montreal, I know there is a johnny cash tribute guy playing there.

Biftek is great too; last time I was there I probably went through about 15 of those free boxes of popcorn. Its a real locals hangout.

Some other great St. Laurent choices are Casa Del Popolo (gold leafed ceiling, vegetarian menu that is actually great, its owned by one of the guys from God Speed you Black Emperor), and Schwartz (Super famous deli, usually a line out the door).

Im sorry to say that my favorite bar, Jupiter Room, is now closed.

Cheap Thrills is a really cool local record store thats right next to where youre staying. I believe its on Metcafe (not sure if this is the cross street) off of Sherbrooke. This is pretty close to you.

If you have any questions about anything, just PM me.

- Chet
chet
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Sowley on Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:26 am

Cheap Thrills is the jam...bring extra money.

I highly recommend going to Fofounes Electrique for a cheap laugh.

For a cheaper laugh, go to the corner of St. Laurant and St. Catherine and wait for a race riot to break out at the Burger King.

also, and I cannot stress this enough: GET SOME MONTREAL BAGELS.

you will never be the same if you do.

Oh Montreal, I miss you so!!
Stephen Sowley
scsowley@gmail.com

"...When last year, I spent more money on spilled liquor in bars from one side of this world to the other, than you made."--Ric Flair
Sowley
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby joelb on Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:17 pm

I was just there. I ate horse at the Continental. It was delicious.

If you want to spend some $$, go to Laloux, which is right near St. Denis and Sherbrooke. I had a big ol' pile of sweetbreads. They were also delicious.

Montreal is a fantastic city. If you're into strange (or bad) architectural juxtapositions, go to the Oratory of St. Joseph. It's enormous and up on a hill to boot, which makes it seem overwhelming from the street. The exterior is classical stone, but the inside is some odd neo-fascist concrete thing that might be the tallest church interior I've ever seen. Sort of like the last scene in Star Wars. Weird, but interesting to look at.
joelb
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby johnnyshape on Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:10 pm

I'm bumping here, because I just went to Montreal and can concur as to it's greatness.

Walking up Mont Royal is great fun - if you start at Peel and keep heading up there's a direct-ish route to a kind of observation plaza. And wow, people like keeping fit up there.

The Oratory of Saint Joseph is weird and creepy, and has a special staircase up the hill to get there marked (in French) something like 'Reserved for pilgrims climbing on their knees'. This staircase is wooden instead of stone, and yes there were several people climbing up on their knees. Catholicism. Don't do it.

The true bilinguality of most Montrealers is a wonderful and amazing thing.

Cheap Thrills is good (good books, too), plus that secondhand place on Mont Royal street, on the right about a block from St-Laurent.

The Metro is great. Like being in Logan's Run.

I had a absolutely fantastic breakfast, one of the best I can remember, at Quoi De N'oeuf, on Notre Dame West near the Atwater market. Highly, highly recommended.

The Botanical Gardens are great.

Montreal = NOT CRAP.
johnnyshape
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby chet on Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:55 pm

Any of you kids coming to Pop Montreal this year? Pretty awesome lineup (Qui, Half Japanese, Pere Ubu, Fucked Up, Patti Smith, Bionic, Hot Springs, a zillion others).

www.popmontreal.com

Best time of my life always. Get about 30 minutes of sleep a night; staying out all night going to shows and parties.

Ill be working as a venue manager again (dont know which venue yet), so come on down!
chet
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby DNA Concept on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:30 pm

Miami used to be great, but they more or less wrecked their lovely terrasse out back, forcing one inside with the catch-as-catch-can crowd. Sometimes great, sometimes out of their minds on heroin. Barfly is a fair bit friendlier and frequently hosts some shitkicking bluegrass as well. Bifteck has, sad to say, become something of a McGill fratboy bar as of late. You'll be in good hands drink/partywise hanging around with the festival types, as there is a raft of afterparties, secret shows, etc with a minimal bullshit factor. I am normally allergic to these kinds of events but the Pop people pull it off with panache.

I heartily second Chet on the Cheap Thrills reccomendation. I can't think of the last time I bought a CD anywhere else.

If you enjoy French food and/or interesting meats, give serious consideration to setting aside a chunk of change to indulge this predilection. At least as concerns French cuisine, you can dine better here at higher-quality restaurants for less money than damn near anywhere else on the continent. I can direct you more specifically if you're interested -- a good friend of mine who used to live here spent a humbling amount of money in restaurants and was kind enough to often take me along, so I'm familiar with a whole bunch of places that are usually far above my station. Good Spanish and Portuguese food as well.

I'm covering the festival this year and so will be all up in various Pop Montreal business for the duration. My first go at the festivities as something other than a civilian. No sleep at all and I can't imagine how I'm going to find the coherence to write it all up.
DNA Concept
ben franklin
ben franklin

Postby madmanmunt on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:35 pm

alex maiolo wrote:I'm staying on Sherbrooke, right across the street from McGill's music school.

Any can't miss restaurants in my area?

-A

Not quite in your area, but not far is Au Pied de Cochon on Duluth St.
THE can't miss restaurant in Montreal.
http://www.restaurantaupieddecochon.ca/
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby DNA Concept on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:39 pm

Christ, just noticed the 2006 dateline in Alex's post.

Uh, hope you had fun!
DNA Concept
ben franklin
ben franklin

Postby madmanmunt on Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:11 pm

DNA Concept wrote:Christ, just noticed the 2006 dateline in Alex's post.

Uh, hope you had fun!

Well, we can still have fun without him in 2007. I'm still going to go to Au Pied de Cochon in Oct, FMC or not.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby LBx on Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:34 pm

chet wrote:Any of you kids coming to Pop Montreal this year?

i will certainly be partaking in Qui, Fucked Up, Eric's Trip(!) & Patti Smith. any others suggestions?

i also fully support Miami, Bifteck, Barfly, Cheap Thrills and the lacking rhythm of the tam tam's...

the further you venture out on the metro the more it feels like a claustrophobic 70's gymnasium. awesome.

invites to after parties are certainly welcome.
LBx
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby greg on Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:56 pm

Yo!
What's up??
There's a dick on the street.
St. Viateur and St. Laurent abouts.
greg
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Flaneur on Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:35 pm

One of the best meals I've ever had was at about 10:30 p.m. on a Sunday night at L'Express, a bistro on St. Denis. The place was packed, with all of the informality of a diner and the detail of a gourmet restaurant. Reasonable prices. Had a pot-au-feu and marrow on bread with the briniest sea salt ever. So fuckin' good.
Flaneur
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Flaneur on Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:50 pm

And Schwartz's.

Pretty much nothing but smoked meat.

Hours:
Sunday 8:00 AM - 12:30 AM
Monday 8:00 AM - 12:30 AM
Tuesday 8:00 AM - 12:30 AM
Wednesday 8:00 AM - 12:30 AM
Thursday 8:00 AM - 12:30 AM