home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Are you a Cheesehead?

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Are you a Cheesehead?

Postby mnotaro on Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:42 pm

Let's get this clear...the term 'micing' makes me think of mice, being mice, doing mice things. Eating cheese and nibbling on things is never easy for digestion or a wire run.

Miking will never confuse the reader. It is like biking. The open road lies ahead and the atmosphere surrounds your body. You are one with your environment.

People own bicycles, but they bike. If they were to be 'bicing', the reader might misunderstand and get the crazy notion that they were sculpting a landing strip to avoid that nasty rash that biking shorts give over long distances. Just ask Lance Mountain.

To mic is still pretty cool, but check this out:

1. We had to mic a guitar cabinet with a Coles and an Akai.

2. We had to mike a guitar cabinet with a Coles and an Akai.

Number two is always super to do. It flows like the mighty Mississippi. You feel better, especially when that cheese comes out. As for the past tense I'll go with [i]miked[/]. I know there are fancy bourgeoise terms that may go along with this text rant, but I know my limits.

Other possible variations:

1. mic'ing

2. mic'd

Biased,
Mike
mnotaro
mayor daley
mayor daley

Postby the Classical on Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:24 pm

Aw, man I was hoping this was going to be a Wisconsin bashing thread not another grammar one.

One of my closest friends is from madison and if werent for a shared love of appliances-sfb I think he would be too weird for me.
the Classical
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby MTAR on Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:37 am

cheese and crakcers are my new favorite.
cracked wheat and Port Salut, semi-soft.

regards,
mic
MTAR
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby mnotaro on Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:05 pm

I love Wisconsin. The hills are alive with the sound of barnyards. You might be a cheesehead if you write micing though. I'm just trying to warn you. It shouldn't be taken as some grammar bash, I'm only trying to save your unsuspecting soul from an eternity in Wisconsin. If you think about cheese a lot, maybe you should go there.

See, I don't want to spend my eternity there and know that you might have ended up there. Now i know you won't and you are not a cheesehead. Not many people really appreciate Wisconsin. With its dairy delectbales and progressive attitude, that state is way wicked. I enjoy a visit when I can, but it is three hours from here and five+ when I am at university. And one more thing...yesterday I watched when Steve was micing an acoustic guitar.

I don't give a fuck one way or the other or one bit,
Seriously though, go to Wisconsin,
Mike not the angry russian
mnotaro
mayor daley
mayor daley

Postby jet on Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:18 pm

alright, mates,

how about this: instead of verbing "mic", you could just use a conjugation of "to place", plus the modifier of "mic"? why does no-one say that?

example:

"yesterday, i was watching steve placing a mic for an acoustical guitar..."

or:

"okay, to properly place a mic for an acoustical guitar, one must do this..."

etc.

i, of course, use the verb "to mic" in conversation, but i hate writing it down, because i, too, think of mice.
personally, i think everybody's just lazy and don't wanna use the extry words. ain't that right, y'all?

mike (not the angry one) is right; it's something that annoys people in various ways, but not enough to do anything that's really grammatically decisive. no-one is ever going to launch a focus group that commits themselves to the Proper Use of "Microphone," and its Antecedents (PUMA).

regards,
jet.
jet
tv clown
tv clown

Postby MTAR on Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:33 pm

jet,
good points
i think the reason people don't want to change the words around to accomadate a spelling SNAFU is because it's just not worth it. If would normally say, "I was miking a bass cabinet", I would want to write it that way. This might even be an obstacle to overcome if you are writing an interview. The most important thing is that the reader knows what you are talking about. Micing or miking or mic'ing or microphoning still implies placing a transducer in front of a source.
word
angry the mike russian[/i]
MTAR

Postby SchnappM on Fri Aug 08, 2003 11:51 pm

Even when you're writing it as a noun, "mic" is still incorrect. It is proper to use the noun "mike."

Coincidentally, my first name is Mike.
SchnappM
pinocchio
pinocchio

Postby mnotaro on Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:33 am

That sounds like three Mike's agree. Webster will be notified...
mnotaro
mayor daley
mayor daley

Postby capnreverb on Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:53 pm

milwaukee is a lot more than 90 miles from chicago
capnreverb
bum runner
bum runner

Return to General Discussion