home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Best Food In Chicago

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Best Food In Chicago

Postby yard barf on Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:16 pm

jeff_fox wrote:Lentil soup at Taste of Lebanon. The best light meal under $3 anywhere.

It's so good. I love how they don't cook the lentils until they're completely soft.

The oyster shooter at Hachi's on California is fantastic. Best I've ever had, and I adore oysters.
yard barf
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Tommy on Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:20 pm

yard barf wrote:
jeff_fox wrote:Lentil soup at Taste of Lebanon. The best light meal under $3 anywhere.

It's so good. I love how they don't cook the lentils until they're completely soft.

I go there once a week for lunch and get the falafel hummus wrap. If I'm super hungry I get the lentil soup too. Yummy. I wish their vegetables in their falafel wrap weren't always frozen. :(

The refrigerated to-go lentil soup from across the street at the Middle Eastern Grocery Store is excellent as well, albeit a little thin. Excellent flavor though. My all time favorite lentil soup in Chicago is still Sultan's. Favorite falafel sandwich is Falafel and Grill on Milwaukee and Paulina.
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Marsupialized on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:26 pm

This place is unbelievable.

http://3greensmarket.com/food/

It's Small Cheval with massive, DELICIOUS buffet, the Green Street smoked meats guys Pastrami sandwich shop, Japanese coffee shop and Doughnut Vault all under one roof, just bonkers, seems like it shouldn't exist but it's fantastic, not crowded yet but will be once word gets out what level this food is here, I am sure. WALKING distance from my fucking house, very, very pleased.

Look at those menus, that buffet is NOT fucking around.
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby tbone on Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:01 am

Oh man that sounds great.

I went to Cafe Tola's new location in Hot Doug's old spot over the weekend. Great burritos, tacos, empanadas. *Especially* those empanadas. I've heard the place was packed during the week from people who work nearby getting lunch/coffee/etc, but it was relatively empty on the weekend. Totally worth checking out.

I kinda liked Frank Meats Patty but there was absolutely NO WAY another hot dog place was going to survive in the wake of Hot Dougs in that location. The 2 or 3 times I went, the guy was dumping a pile of stickers and other chotchkies on my kid and practically begging me to tell my friends to come. It was kind of a bummer, and I wasn't surprised when they shut down. I think having something different in that place like a Mexican takeout is going to work out much better.
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby djimbe on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:25 pm

I don't know if it's been mentioned this far in, but this place:

http://kimskichicago.com/

Whoa! THIS place! Thoroughly enjoyed a visit there this evening. FIL is vegetarian too and had no problem. In fact, we had 5 different items and all were veg. Will go back for sure.
djimbe
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby tmoneygetpaid on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:24 pm

tbone wrote:Oh man that sounds great.

I went to Cafe Tola's new location in Hot Doug's old spot over the weekend. Great burritos, tacos, empanadas. *Especially* those empanadas. I've heard the place was packed during the week from people who work nearby getting lunch/coffee/etc, but it was relatively empty on the weekend. Totally worth checking out.

I kinda liked Frank Meats Patty but there was absolutely NO WAY another hot dog place was going to survive in the wake of Hot Dougs in that location. The 2 or 3 times I went, the guy was dumping a pile of stickers and other chotchkies on my kid and practically begging me to tell my friends to come. It was kind of a bummer, and I wasn't surprised when they shut down. I think having something different in that place like a Mexican takeout is going to work out much better.

It's become a staple in the studio employees' lunch rotation. Fave veggie empanada options so far are the pinto and cheese, and the potato and cheese (is it rajas? maybe I am mis-remembering). Nothing will fill the void in our hearts left by Hot Doug's, but this is a great addition to our walkable food options.

2 empanadas is a light meal, 3 is a big meal.
tmoneygetpaid
piece of shit
piece of shit

Previous

Return to General Discussion