home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Best Food In Chicago

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Best Food In Chicago

Postby kerble on Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:24 pm

fredrock wrote:RUXBIN
Funky "re-purposed" decor. Casual setting with elegant food offerings.
http://www.ruxbinchicago.com/

ha! sidebar, but my dear, dear friend, Ian Bennett did the decor work at Ruxbin. He's one of the greats. Still side-barring, he did the third set of Musical Chairs, and I am the proud owner of one of his "Time Machines". Mine's the second set of photos at this link. I wouldn't normally intrude, but I literally had his site open in then next tab open in my browser. hep!
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby warmowski on Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:55 am

The best carne en su jugo I've ever had -- it's a kind of steak and bacon soup, only even better than that sounds -- is at Tio Luis on Archer.

Pro tip: into the bowl, smash up a couple of the the dried arbol peppers they serve alongside. Because you will be moved to tears at how unbelievably good it is, you might want to wipe your eyes. But don't touch your eyes, because you just crumpled arbol peppers into your carne en su jugo.

http://www.tioluistacos.com/

-r
warmowski
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Wood Goblin on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:13 am

After hearing about it for years, I finally went to Big Star. I was prepared to be underwhelmed.

It was fucking awesome.
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby emerge on Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:02 pm

Bob-O's on Irving Park near Cumberland has a very legit Italian beef.
Had it yesterday, wasn't aware that Steve Dolinsky had proclaimed it best of Chicago until I looked it up.

Last edited by emerge on Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
emerge
courtesan
courtesan

Postby emerge on Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:04 pm

jimmy two hands wrote:
Marsupialized wrote:Once a year my father and I do a high end meat orgy, I need suggestions on any spots that might not be on the radar. Ideas? Publican, the Brazilian steakhouses, we've done them, anything I'm not in the know about on the meat end, please, share.

Table Donkey and Stick by my place has a bunch of of central europe meat and charcuterie gorging options. I've only been there for the burgers and pretzels (which are good) but I've seen rave reviews of the meat-pile platters. Kinda pricey.

http://tabledonkeystick.com/

This is right in my "wheelhouse" :smt006
emerge
courtesan
courtesan

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:41 am

I'm not going to a fucking restaurant called 'Table Donkey and Stick'
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby jimmy two hands on Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:22 am

Marsupialized wrote:I'm not going to a fucking restaurant called 'Table Donkey and Stick'

Yeah, they dropped the Oxford comma. Total bullshit, but don't let that get to you.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands

Postby emerge on Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:17 am

jimmy two hands wrote:
Marsupialized wrote:I'm not going to a fucking restaurant called 'Table Donkey and Stick'

Yeah, they dropped the Oxford comma. Total bullshit, but don't let that get to you.

Without the commas it does conjure up a weird mental image. Still, they could call it Donkeymeat Feedbag Palace and i'd still eat the shit out of some charcuterie there.
emerge
courtesan
courtesan

Postby noise&light on Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:20 am

jimmy two hands wrote:

That menu looks bananas! The first ingredient listed in the potato soup description is trout. And the Halloween Offal menu?! Wow, this place!
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Marsupialized on Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:50 am

'Donkeydicker's' would be a less assholey name for a restaurant.
Marsupialized

Postby trumpsbrah on Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:45 pm

Table, Donkey and Stick wrote:Table, Donkey and Stick refers to a Brothers Grimm tale in which three brothers leave home to apprentice for a carpenter, a miller and a turner. The carpenter pays the first brother with a table that magically sets itself with rustic delicacies, which is promptly stolen by a wicked innkeeper. The miller gives the second brother a donkey that shits gold coins at the word “bricklebrit.” The innkeeper robs him too. The third brother receives from the turner a magical stick which beats the innkeeper until he returns the table and donkey.

Not a bad restaurant, though it's about $10/entree too expensive, especially for that area. I encourage you to take the high road when tempted to make fun of the restaurant's name, because it's so much easier to make fun of the chef's: Chef Manley.
I played things in: The Infrasonics.
My prf challenge hits: Trumpsbrah Bandcamp.
Fiction and other writings: Trumpsbrah Website.
trumpsbrah
linus from peanuts
linus from peanuts

Postby mrcancelled on Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:05 pm

Tried Taqueria el Asadero on Montrose, it was great. Had an al pastor burrito, which was massive enough to fill up my morbidly obese self. Next time I'm getting a bunch of tacos, including the carne asada which I hear is incredible there.
mrcancelled
linus torvalds
linus torvalds

Postby fredrock on Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:11 am

The chili relleno is outstanding as well
Life is just what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
-John Lennon
fredrock
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Wood Goblin on Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:50 am

Last night, we stopped by Katherine Anne Confections to pick up some caramels for an uncle who likes caramel. While waiting in the car with my kids, I looked up and realized I was parked right across the street from this place.

I tried a salted rosemary caramel on the way home. It was really good.

Didn't try Donkey Punch and Stick, though.
Wood Goblin

Postby jimmy two hands on Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:55 am

Wood Goblin wrote:

Last night, we stopped by Katherine Anne Confections to pick up some caramels for an uncle who likes caramel. While waiting in the car with my kids, I looked up and realized I was parked right across the street from this place.

I tried a salted rosemary caramel on the way home. It was really good.

Didn't try Donkey Punch and Stick, though.

I live right around the corner from there. They make some really good hot chocolate.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands

Postby Gantry on Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:51 am

The Avondale on Belmont near Central Park. Looks like a stereotypical Irish bar from the outside but they have VERY good brunch and a super friendly staff. Also under the radar so not a raging zoo during brunch rush.
Gantry
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby jimmy two hands on Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:31 pm

emerge wrote:
jimmy two hands wrote:

Without the commas it does conjure up a weird mental image. Still, they could call it Donkeymeat Feedbag Palace and i'd still eat the shit out of some charcuterie there.

In the olden times of the Wicker Park monosyllable name, this place would have been called "Meat". Now everyone's gotta have too many goddamn words. But yeah, I'd eat at a place called "Shitfuckers" if the food is good.

trumpsbrah wrote:Not a bad restaurant, though it's about $10/entree too expensive, especially for that area. I encourage you to take the high road when tempted to make fun of the restaurant's name, because it's so much easier to make fun of the chef's: Chef Manley.

The place that used to be there was Bonsouirree (sic?) which gave you a choice of a $70 five course meal or a $90 seven course meal, so the prices seem pretty reasonable comparatively. The clientele was almost entirely rich suburban foodies, scared to death of being in the city. Occasionally one of them would drive by when I was walking and ask for directions back to the freeway. "You see that sign that says 'rib tips'?"

jimmy two hands

Postby Marsupialized on Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:04 pm

Has anyone mentioned Girl and Goat or Little Goat?

These are my favorite restaurants in the city, she knows what the fuck she's doing, both are outstanding and anyone from out of town I've directed there has been blown away. They are not even that expensive, last time at girl and goat, two people with beers, completely stuffed and it was like 110 bucks or something, like a full 80 bucks cheaper than Publican was. Little goat two people with fancy coffee will be like 40-50 bucks, max.

I live right over there, in the vortex of restaurants and Girl and Goat blows any other place I've been to in the area away. She's got another spot opening soon, Chinese food, I believe, right on the same block, excited about that too.
Marsupialized

Postby jacobwilliam on Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:31 am

Marsupialized wrote:Has anyone mentioned Girl and Goat or Little Goat?

These are my favorite restaurants in the city, she knows what the fuck she's doing, both are outstanding and anyone from out of town I've directed there has been blown away. They are not even that expensive, last time at girl and goat, two people with beers, completely stuffed and it was like 110 bucks or something, like a full 80 bucks cheaper than Publican was. Little goat two people with fancy coffee will be like 40-50 bucks, max.

I live right over there, in the vortex of restaurants and Girl and Goat blows any other place I've been to in the area away. She's got another spot opening soon, Chinese food, I believe, right on the same block, excited about that too.

The menu looks really good. Maybe I'll celebrate conquering another month of sobriety there. Plus, you seem to eat like a king and I trust your opinion.
jacobwilliam
bobcat
bobcat

Postby tmidgett on Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:00 pm

Girl and the Goat is pretty great. I really really enjoyed it when we finally went recently.

Gus's, glad to report, excellent chicken though not as good as Memphis. I'd say it's solidly in the spirit of the classic Gus's.

You know what...Luella's in Lincoln Square is spotty in terms of both service and food. Stuff changes up a lot. I've had truly incredible biscuits side by side with ones that had raw dough in the middle.

But. Last time I was at Luella's, I had some of the best buttermilk fried chicken I've ever eaten. It was astounding.

And the gumbo was also great on that occasion. I've had gumbo there that was a little "young," like too vinegary and not allowed to cook enough. But that day, it was terrific, best ever in Chicago very easily. Sides--greens and stuff--all good.

The chicken dinner is not cheap for what it is. You only get three pieces. If I could buy a bucket of that stuff from a pick-up window for $25 or whatever, I'd eat there a lot.
tmidgett

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion