home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Best Food In Chicago

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Best Food In Chicago

Postby mrcancelled on Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:03 am

Aroy on Damen in Lincoln Square is an excellent Thai place. Some of the best curry I've ever had.
mrcancelled
walter cronkite
walter cronkite
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:04 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Best Food In Chicago

Postby ginger on Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:55 pm

I want to give a thumbs up to Josie's Dumplings in Stickney.
They have a small grocery store in the front of the shop where you can get all kinds of Czech delicacies to take home. This small, family business is starting to struggle, so help them out if you can.
http://www.josiesdumplings.com/page%201.html
User avatar
ginger
mo udall
mo udall
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:10 am
Location: chicago

Re: Best Food In Chicago

Postby warmowski on Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:45 pm

ginger wrote:I want to give a thumbs up to Josie's Dumplings in Stickney.
They have a small grocery store in the front of the shop where you can get all kinds of Czech delicacies to take home. This small, family business is starting to struggle, so help them out if you can.
http://www.josiesdumplings.com/page%201.html


My Bohemian grandmother made these dumplings, and she called them "sinkers".

And they were whoa. Haven't had them in a long, long time. Thanks for the heads-up. Stickney, here I come.

-r
User avatar
warmowski
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2907
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Best Food In Chicago

Postby mrcancelled on Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:49 am

tmidgett wrote:
mrcancelled wrote:
jeff_fox wrote:
mrcancelled wrote:m'lady and I tried L'Patron earlier and it ruled. We swapped halves of the al pastor and carne asada burritos -- both were great but the al pastor was one of the best burritos I've ever eaten.

Yup! Try the lomo tacos (ribeye w/ grilled onions). And the fish tacos. And the elote. Their guacamole is awesome too.


Ah, I will have to try all of these. I meant to grab a fish taco or two as well today but didn't have enough cash on me.


Fish tacos are revelatory and it's a repeatable kind of revelation. Every time I kinda can't believe I can eat such a thing in Chicago, IL so far from an ocean.


I just tried a few last night, this is no joke.
mrcancelled
walter cronkite
walter cronkite
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:04 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Best Food In Chicago

Postby cerebralheadtrip on Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:25 pm

warmowski wrote:
ginger wrote:I want to give a thumbs up to Josie's Dumplings in Stickney.
They have a small grocery store in the front of the shop where you can get all kinds of Czech delicacies to take home. This small, family business is starting to struggle, so help them out if you can.
http://www.josiesdumplings.com/page%201.html


My Bohemian grandmother made these dumplings, and she called them "sinkers".

And they were whoa. Haven't had them in a long, long time. Thanks for the heads-up. Stickney, here I come.

-r


walk over to villa nova while yer at it.
cerebralheadtrip
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard
 
Posts: 1871
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Re: Best Food In Chicago

Postby Flaneur on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:28 am

This sounds really good: new Thai street-food place in Uptown:

http://fooditor.com/fooditor-guide-thai ... ce-beyond/
User avatar
Flaneur
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:01 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Best Food In Chicago

Postby Major on Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:13 pm

We are getting a Connie's Pizza in Houston that is supposedly "well-regarded" in Chicago. Never heard of. Yay or nay?
User avatar
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6390
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:19 am
Location: 29.7604° N, 95.3698° W

Re: Best Food In Chicago

Postby cerebralheadtrip on Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:45 pm

garbage
Last edited by cerebralheadtrip on Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cerebralheadtrip
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard
 
Posts: 1871
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Re: Best Food In Chicago

Postby Major on Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:47 pm

cerebralheadtrip wrote:garbage


That's what I figured!
User avatar
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6390
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:19 am
Location: 29.7604° N, 95.3698° W

Re: Best Food In Chicago

Postby cerebralheadtrip on Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:52 pm

to be honest its probably been years since ive eaten it, but it has an immediate negative connotation in my head. they're mostly known as the slice you get at a ballgame or concession stand thats, so that probably plays a large part. i cant really speak to sit down experiences.
cerebralheadtrip
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard
 
Posts: 1871
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Re: Best Food In Chicago

Postby Major on Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:00 pm

cerebralheadtrip wrote:to be honest its probably been years since ive eaten it, but it has an immediate negative connotation in my head. they're mostly known as the slice you get at a ballgame or concession stand thats, so that probably plays a large part. i cant really speak to sit down experiences.


I just looked at the website. I looks better than Olive Garden.
User avatar
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6390
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:19 am
Location: 29.7604° N, 95.3698° W

Re: Best Food In Chicago

Postby jeff_fox on Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:21 pm

Flaneur wrote:This sounds really good: new Thai street-food place in Uptown:

http://fooditor.com/fooditor-guide-thai ... ce-beyond/


Stopped in today. Pretty damn good! definitely not the usual Thai food you find at every restaurant. Fast and cheap, too!
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
User avatar
jeff_fox
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7236
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Best Food In Chicago

Postby Marsupialized on Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:32 am

Marsupialized wrote:Has anyone mentioned Girl and Goat or Little Goat?

These are my favorite restaurants in the city, she knows what the fuck she's doing, both are outstanding and anyone from out of town I've directed there has been blown away. They are not even that expensive, last time at girl and goat, two people with beers, completely stuffed and it was like 110 bucks or something, like a full 80 bucks cheaper than Publican was. Little goat two people with fancy coffee will be like 40-50 bucks, max.

I live right over there, in the vortex of restaurants and Girl and Goat blows any other place I've been to in the area away. She's got another spot opening soon, Chinese food, I believe, right on the same block, excited about that too.


http://chicago.eater.com/2016/3/23/11292482/duck-duck-goat-photos-menu-stephanie-izard-fulton-market

Her new spot opens tonight. Now, it's supposedly already booked till June so basic people should move along, not for you, but as everyone knows, I am fucking awesome and as a fucking awesome man, have been invited to feast there tonight, will report.
User avatar
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 40816
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:21 am
Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Re: Best Food In Chicago

Postby jacobwilliam on Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:01 pm

Marsupialized wrote:
Marsupialized wrote:Has anyone mentioned Girl and Goat or Little Goat?

These are my favorite restaurants in the city, she knows what the fuck she's doing, both are outstanding and anyone from out of town I've directed there has been blown away. They are not even that expensive, last time at girl and goat, two people with beers, completely stuffed and it was like 110 bucks or something, like a full 80 bucks cheaper than Publican was. Little goat two people with fancy coffee will be like 40-50 bucks, max.

I live right over there, in the vortex of restaurants and Girl and Goat blows any other place I've been to in the area away. She's got another spot opening soon, Chinese food, I believe, right on the same block, excited about that too.


http://chicago.eater.com/2016/3/23/11292482/duck-duck-goat-photos-menu-stephanie-izard-fulton-market

Her new spot opens tonight. Now, it's supposedly already booked till June so basic people should move along, not for you, but as everyone knows, I am fucking awesome and as a fucking awesome man, have been invited to feast there tonight, will report.


I'm jealous and still haven't eaten at either of her spots. I'll correct this behavior real soon, I hope.
jacobwilliam
jasper johns
jasper johns
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:24 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Best Food In Chicago

Postby mrcancelled on Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:06 pm

tmidgett wrote:You know what...Luella's in Lincoln Square is spotty in terms of both service and food. Stuff changes up a lot. I've had truly incredible biscuits side by side with ones that had raw dough in the middle.

But. Last time I was at Luella's, I had some of the best buttermilk fried chicken I've ever eaten. It was astounding.


Tried Luella's today. I'm not usually that big on fried chicken but their's was excellent. I was very hungry and the smaller portions had me a little worried at first (fat man anxiety) but everything is pretty rich and filling. Split the chicken with m'lady's shrimp and grits, which were also great. It's a bit pricy but hits the spot.
mrcancelled
walter cronkite
walter cronkite
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:04 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Best Food In Chicago

Postby cerebralheadtrip on Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:59 pm

so after the tribune released their list of the best tacos in Chicago, i took it upon myself to try their #1 selection, which was La Chapparita, a little hole in the wall in little village. apparently they are known for their tripe, and i was a little apprehensive. ive only had tripe in pho, and was not a fan at all. this is a crispy version though and it was really a transcendent experience. just absolutely a phenomenal taco. if you find yourself down that way, i absolutely recommend giving it a shot. lived up to the hype IMO. the inside is also super quirky/charming and you can tell its a place that takes pride in what they do.
cerebralheadtrip
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard
 
Posts: 1871
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Re: Best Food In Chicago

Postby mrcancelled on Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:08 am

I just learned what an affagato is and I have so many boners. Know anywhere that serves these?
mrcancelled
walter cronkite
walter cronkite
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:04 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Best Food In Chicago

Postby Major on Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:30 am

Anyone care to give me a list of say, 5 places I've got to hit? I'll be in town soon, haven't been back in about a year.

Definitely going to Purple Pig, but no plans other than that.

Thanks!
User avatar
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6390
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:19 am
Location: 29.7604° N, 95.3698° W

Re: Best Food In Chicago

Postby jeff_fox on Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:44 pm

I'd do:
Beijing Duck dinner at Sun Wah. Also make sure to get the baby bok choy
Tacos at L'Patron
Chicken and/or strip steak at Brasa Roja
I guess maybe Pequod's for pan pizza
I had the best pasty I've ever eaten recently at Pleasant House in Pilsen

Honorable mention: Lentil soup at Taste of Lebanon. The best light meal under $3 anywhere.

I'm not the person to ask about fancier places because fuck that shit.
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
User avatar
jeff_fox
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7236
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: Best Food In Chicago

Postby 154 on Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:54 pm

If you're downtown and like the Mediterranean/wine bar/tapas thing (like Purple Pig), try Mercat a la Planxa on S. Michigan as well. Go watch the old Check Please w/ long-haired FMkerble on it too.
User avatar
154
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7633
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:56 pm
Location: GSO, NC

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 7 guests