home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Touch & Go Demo Possibility

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Touch & Go Demo Possibility

Postby e_shaun on Sat Aug 23, 2003 3:44 pm

Hi all,

Hopefully this isn't too far off-topic, but given some recent praise by established AE's in regards to a composition, I am giving some thought to demo-ing the composition out...potentially to Touch & Go Records et al.

What I am asking is twofold: first of all, do you think that my compositional leanings would fit in with the roster of Touch & Go?

Secondly, if not (or even if so), what are some other independent labels that you think may be interested in material of this ilk?

Composition has mainly been a hobby of mine throughout life, as I am more focused on the production and studio aspects than with the creative aspect of music. However, recent comments have had me rethink that somewhat.

Please let me know what you think. here is the link.

Thanks.
E. Shaun Russell
Independent Producer
e_shaun@uniserve.com
Moderator at The Womb
e_shaun
novitiate
novitiate

T&G

Postby Mayfair on Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:56 pm

In my opinion, there is not a certain sound of the T&G rooster, especially these days (Calexico, Silkworm, Mekons, Rachel's, MOAM?, Dirty Three, Shellac, etc..). I think the underlying connection of all these bands is that Corey likes them (I do not mean to speak for you, Corey. I just have always really respected that among other things about T&G.). And isn't that the best reason for putting out records, anyway?

I think your track sounds really nice.
Mayfair
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby l.k. on Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:58 pm

Demo is not a verb.
l.k.

Postby SchnappM on Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:50 pm

l.k. wrote:Demo is not a verb.

It can be.
SchnappM
pinocchio
pinocchio

I agree it is

Postby Mayfair on Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:39 pm

I think it can be a verb, just as Photoshop can be also (as in "I just photoshopped you into my life.")

I vote "yes, it can be".
Mayfair

Postby max on Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:41 am

I'm sure you're not just trying to promote your music on an online forum. You might have your reasons why you want to send your demo to TG.
Just send it to them. If they like it they'll let you know. If a label doesn't like the demo you'll probably or in most cases never hear of them again.
To demo as a verb: It can be.
English morphology is such a liberal thing. I'm not sure about the spelling of the progressive form of the verb. I think it should just read to demo the composition.
But English is still a foreign language to me, full of miracles.
Viel Glück, Max.
max
doctor feelgood
doctor feelgood

Demo verbage

Postby stewie on Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:43 pm

Demo is a verb.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define. ... &dict=CALD
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=demo

Have a read of the "Rules" thread in Intern's Corner for more fun grammatical insights!
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby e_shaun on Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:26 pm

I can't believe I'm getting involved in this ("look what they done to my thread, ma!"), but demo is indeed a verb and a noun.

"Demo" is an abbreviation of the word "Demonstration" but can also be used as an abbreviation of the word "Demonstrating." For example: "E. Shaun is going to demo out his song 'Scared Sacred' to Touch and Go Records." It implies the creation of the noun version of demo. When I used the term above, I said "Demo-ing" which was just my way of saying "demonstrating" without causing any confusion as to the other meaning of the long form of that word.

I also think that demo is a borderline adjective. I'm sure that a lot of us have heard some A&R lackey say something to the effect of "Yeah, it's fine, but...very demo."

True, you have to respect the English language, but you also have to remember that, unlike Latin, the language isn't dead, and needs to evolve when new terms and meanings are born.
E. Shaun Russell
Independent Producer
e_shaun@uniserve.com
Moderator at The Womb
e_shaun
novitiate
novitiate

Postby l.k. on Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:29 pm

That's great advice, Stewie. If only I'd done that earlier...
l.k.

T&G demo thing

Postby Narcoticus on Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:56 pm

Everytime I hear someone talking about sending a demo to Touch and Go I gotta laugh. I just think back to when I was an intern there years ago going thru the mail... bill in this pile, letter in that pile, demo in the garbage...
A quick harsh fact of life...nobody is as interested in your shitty tape as you are.
Ten billion people with demo tapes of their stupid songs in this world, but yours is something special?
Good luck with all that.
Narcoticus

Postby tmidgett on Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:21 am

i think the lack of interest in 'demos' at labels like t+g has little to do with whether or not they are 'shitty'

it has more to do with what motivates the band

if you are motivated to make music by creative impulse, you'll be doing it as full-bore as possible regardless of label interest etc.

in other words, you'll be playing live and recording and making those recordings available for public consumption by hook or by crook

those are the kinds of bands that might develop some 'in' or another at a decent record label: the ones who are not making that 'in' a priority
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby nick92675 on Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am

sub pop used to have a pretty cool thing on thier site about accepting demos (how they didn't) that essentially said, listen, if you're good enough to be on our label, we would have heard of you from one of our friends, or bands or whatever.

also, didn't t&g throw out nirvana's demo as well? although, you know, maybe starting this thread is enough. maybe someone reading this sent a link to someone at touch and go saying, hey some dude is asking about sending us a demo...

can you start playing out somehow with that music? i know it isn;t your normal rock club stuff, but still there have to be avenues you can take. isn't that the most effective way of getting your work noticed and in the public eye? someone locally could take note then you could make a record, get some reviews, then perhaps t&g would read them and perhaps be interested in the future. black heart procession didn't start on t&g.

i think small independent labels like the ones you'd want to be working with are kind of based initially on a personal relationship, and that's something that's nearly impossible to foster blindly sending a package. but, i'm sure one of the clients of your studio runs thier own label, and even if you press 100 of them and send them to zines and stuff people will start to take notice. maybe you'll meet someone at the show who tells thier friend who's making a film and knows someone and so on... it's a tried and true punk rock tactic - put it to use in your genre.

it sounds great by the way - i don't mean to be discouraging about sending to t&g - what do i know about that - but i mean to be encouraging about doing your creative thing regardless of who puts thier blessing on it - t&g, another local indie or putting it out yourself. tons and tons and tons of people started out this way - you gotta start somewhere. that's what sub pop was getting at.

i think a label who sees a band (or artist) who has faith in themselves and says, fuck it - i'm doing this whether you help me or not - is a very attractive thing.

best of luck!
nick92675
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby e_shaun on Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:59 pm

nick92675 wrote:it sounds great by the way - i don't mean to be discouraging about sending to t&g - what do i know about that - but i mean to be encouraging about doing your creative thing regardless of who puts thier blessing on it - t&g, another local indie or putting it out yourself. tons and tons and tons of people started out this way - you gotta start somewhere. that's what sub pop was getting at.

Thanks a lot for that Nick, and that was the kind of advice I was looking for. You see, when I was younger I was much more adamant about composition etc. than I am now. In recent years, I've turned almost exclusively towards production (I know many here hate that term, but so be it), and kept my composition to a minimum. I had posted this track as a response to someone else on another well-known forum I am a part of, and got unanimously positive reviews from some other successful AEs, which got me to thinking about focusing more on composition once again.

Production is my main love...I love the studio environment, and I love helping new artists achieve the next step in their development by having a song, demo or album done. I'm fortunate in that I'm well connected with major studios locally, though the market I am located in lacks a well-defined scene.

I will be sending some of my music off to various labels. What was said above rings true as well, though. However, I have to take exception to something Narcoticus said. While I know you were being general, Narcoticus, I think you have a slightly skewered view of how things work. You may just be jaded, which is fine, but if those "ten billion people" didn't send their "stupid songs" anywhere, there would be no industry, bud. There's a lot of shitty music out there. A lot. But don't get the snot-nosed, existential, angst-ridden attitude that one's music doesn't matter and that one tape doesn't mean a fucking thing. Sorry buddy, it does.

Ignorance is one's biggest enemy in this business. If you know the odds and are still passionate about getting your music somewhere, you will...even if you have to work at a fucking McDonalds until you're thirty, your passion, focus and ability will find their way to some measure of success.

Thanks again Nick for your comments...was worth posting just to read them.
E. Shaun Russell
Independent Producer
e_shaun@uniserve.com
Moderator at The Womb
e_shaun
novitiate
novitiate

Return to General Discussion