Probably Jean Paul Gaster of Clutch

Or Doug Scharin

Also love Tatsuya Nakatani

Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Re: Best drummer you've seen....

Postby SecondEdition on Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:05 pm

Okay. Now that I actually know what the thread is about five years later (oy), I'm keeping track of shows I've seen:

- Mac McNeilly (The Jesus Lizard)
- Phil Puleo (Swans)
- Whoever was playing drums for George Clinton in 2006
- The drummer for Jealousy Mountain Duo. I don't know his name but that guy is FUCKING CRAZY. We're talking Charles Hayward levels here.
- Dana Matthiessen (White Suns)
- Evan Rowe (Maple Stave)
- Jason Jensen (United Sons of Toil)

The best drummers I've ever played with were my friend Justin from Michigan, and Jason from United Sons of Toil.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby fiery jack on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:06 pm

I wish I'd seen Charlie Ondras drum. He made those early Unsane tracks for me. I've seen that ex-Swans fellah play with them 3 or 4 times and it's not the same. I imagine that someone more steeped in drum-lore than me (which wouldn't be hard) will school me on this, but I think Charlie was great.
Last edited by fiery jack on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fiery jack
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby subprime on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:08 pm

That I have seen personally?

Scotty in alaskan.bandcamp.com
dude in animalfaces.bandcamp.com
and dude in lordsnow.bandcamp.com
subprime
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby CHahn on Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:17 pm

Barbo wrote:
CHahn wrote:Warren Oakes-Against Me!

FYP.

And although he is fun to watch I bet you are probably the only person that would characterize him as the best. Great guy but not a fantastic drummer.

Jon

Actually a really fair point, I am 26 and live in Southern IL and did not know about "The Lost Cross" in Carbondale while I went to SIU Carbondale so I missed out on the only plausible opportunity to see some good punk drummers... that said (William)Warren Oakes is much better than many of the other openers I have seen at these medium sized shows (suffer through Hello Stranger and Warren Oakes will seem like John Bonham). I would probably enjoy going to see good lesser known bands but, its kind of hard to get someone to split gas to see a basement show three to four hours away, and I have seen enough of those local shows where the drummer was good, but, not worth including on my long list... I think my best is probably George Schwindt from Flogging Molly, Taylor Hawkins was impressive and in some people's eyes is probably better, the rest were good at what they did, they rocked the kit, and were entertaining so like I said, you are correct. I want to live in a metropolitan area again, make money, see shows.
-btw editing features rule for making sure you get your point across cleanly.
CHahn
adjutant
adjutant

Postby Suk on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:51 am

So far it's been Brian Chippendale when I was right in front of him at a Black Pus show. It felt like I was being machine gunned, but not hurting or dying.
HEY♥
Suk
secretary of the interior
secretary of the interior

Postby japmn on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:55 am

Keith Moon on the Rock and Roll Circus. Hands Down.
japmn
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby crustandcrumb on Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:14 am

it's been a few years since i posted in this thread. in the interim, i've seen a great deal of exceptional drummers. i can think of very few guys who remain on my bucket list. ches smith is the only one who comes straight to mind.

i can now say with some amount of certainty that Tom Rainey is THE guy. forever.

motherfucker has paid his dues over the years, and now is at the top. i remove my hat etc/
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
crustandcrumb
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby travis k on Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:45 pm

Sebastian Thomson
John Stanier
Rick Pelletier
Kyle Crabtree
I never got to see Washam in the flesh. Im sure that it was fucking ridiculous.
travis k
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby crustandcrumb on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:48 am

i've been waiting to see crabtree for some time. should have driven down to that RMSN show a few years back. hope to see him in some other configuration before too long, but not really sure what he's even doing these days.
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
crustandcrumb

Postby Angus Jung on Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:48 am

crustandcrumb wrote:i can think of very few guys who remain on my bucket list. ches smith is the only one who comes straight to mind.

I've seen him a bunch.

Ches Smith is incredible in any context, but I think I like him best in his most mainstream gig - playing with Secret Chiefs. Playing 'rock' stuff brings out something extra in him.

He isn't always their touring drummer, but if SC3 are coming through town it's well worth it to try and find out if he's in the band.
Angus Jung
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby crustandcrumb on Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:25 am

you know, i tried the 'chiefs a couple times and couldn't get into it. maybe i tried to go in the wrong door or whatever.

His residency at the stone starts today, i think. if I could see him in any context, it would either be 7 Year Rabbit Cycle or Mary Halvorson's trio with John Hebert. both unpopular choices, i'm sure!
crustandcrumb

Postby Angus Jung on Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:59 pm

crustandcrumb wrote:you know, i tried the 'chiefs a couple times and couldn't get into it. maybe i tried to go in the wrong door or whatever.

Live (esp. with Ches drumming) is way better than recordings. I don't much like their recordings either.

Cannot go wrong with 7 Year Rabbit Cycle or Halvorson.
Angus Jung

Postby crustandcrumb on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:30 pm

looking for bootlegs tonight in that case.
crustandcrumb

Postby bishopdante on Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:03 pm

Honestly? My main man back in the day, Lee Citron. He was actually a bassist, but the guy was ultimate quality on everything. Played open-handed, proper ultimately loud, also a capable contortionist, incredible draftsman and visual artist, child tiger-karate prodigy and full-time surrealist comedian, genuinely never seen anything like it. Half Serbian, half fully-blended pan-american postmodern mixture.

Sadly he died at 21 in a tourbus crash along with 2 other seriously dedicated proper musicians, also dear friends of mine, days away from going into a recording facility in Italy laying down a new album of some seriously proper tings we'd all been working on for years, full production, probably 25 people in total working on the whole thing, getting the money & movements together so it'd all be owned & run by the artists. Dreadful loss, we were fully devastated.

Sadly don't have any recordings at all which do justice to the quality of his drumming. The jam tapes I had were all destoyed when I got busted by the Russian Mafia for squatting one of their empty mansions in error.

Yes, that is an SM58 as an overhead/tom and a transistor Neumann looking over the top of the snare (which was within the low-frequency proximity effect of the kick, so produced a very dry sounding mixture of low midrange and sub bass bump from the batter head, ultra-detailed and slightly peak-trimmed snare drum with emphasised quiet strokes, and enough hihats to require shelving a good bit of the high frequencies out of the mic. Quite a specific rig which was specific to his playing style, we would put just one extra crash up near the 58, and a crash cymbal next to anything is quite trebly enough, there's also a hidden ride at the back used as a dark gong crash. It's all non-standard but it sounded great, we'd pan the guitar and other trebly stuff to the toms side and stick the bass on the cymbals side. A lot of the sound was delivered by a couple of mics out of shot, can see the top of the stand of a D112 (not my favourite and prone to what sounds like the diaphragm clipping) about a foot outside the port of the kick, another pencil mic about 8 feet in front of the kit as a whole kit/room mic, and another SM58 stuck underneath that resonator-improvised stand made out of a spare kick drum as a dirt track. He was extremely happy with that sound, in his opinion what we did in the rehearsal room in terms of production sound was his favourite out of everything he'd heard, and had recorded in a whole bunch of far better equipped places such as Wessex, since it sounded basically like a slightly drier and slightly overdriven version of what the drums sounded like in the room.

That treatment, or quite possibly some other equally outside operating design limits treatment, or perhaps the dampness in the kentish town dungeon which would rust guitar strings overnight, did kill the Neumann capsule in the end, but it took a few seasons and sounded great while it worked.
Last edited by bishopdante on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby jacobwilliam on Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:59 pm

Noah, I forget his last name, of Electric Hawk and Chris Metcalf of the Life and Times are my two personal favorites as far as less known drummers.
jacobwilliam
bobcat
bobcat

Postby tmidgett on Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:45 pm

Gal Lazer of Yonatan Gat's band is super awesome and original.

I'd post a clip but none I can find do him any real justice.
tmidgett

Postby travis k on Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:53 pm

I don't know what Crabtree is up to, either. I heard somewhere that Jeff Mueller is wanting to make things with others again. It doesn't seem to be inconceivable that they would play together again. If those men found a way to make music again, I would be incredibly thankful. I'm incredibly thankful as it is.
travis k
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Nicholas.L on Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:52 am

tmidgett wrote:Gal Lazer of Yonatan Gat's band is super awesome and original.

I'd post a clip but none I can find do him any real justice.

Did they set up on the floor in Chicago as well? Gal's a very nice guy - he came up to our drummer after the show and said: "Your drumming - amazing. Every hit like crack of thunder."

He works a lot out of a very small kit.
Nicholas.L
president bartlett
president bartlett

Postby RBoyer on Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:19 pm

Casey Deitz (Americas, Velvet Teen)
Thee Slayer Hippy (Poison Idea)
Phil Rudd (duh)
RBoyer
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity