home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

What's in your Hi-Fi?

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: What's in your Hi-Fi?

Postby motorbike guy on Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:23 am

Grado's moving iron carts are similar to other makers' moving magnet types. The relevant fact is they are relatively high output. Not good to put into a MC input which is looking for a much lower level.

I am with Redline - I would be shocked if the receiver itself did not have an external or internal switch that you could flip to change the input from MC to MM. Either that or there might be two sets of phono inputs, one for MM and one for MC. MM is sort of the default, and I can't see a mass market company like Yamaha selling an MC-only input receiver.

Alternatively, a phono preamp that can accomodate MM and MC inputs. Just be aware that you would run that through an AUX or TAPE input on the receiver, as the phono preamp is going to do the RIAA re-equalization stuff, so you can't plug it into the phono input.
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Redline on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:24 pm

motorbike guy wrote:
MM is sort of the default, and I can't see a mass market company like Yamaha selling an MC-only input receiver.

I thought that, too The Yamaha I have has 4 different pre-sets for MM-MC. Most receivers in the 70's through the 80's had MM phono sections, even the more expensive Marantz units. My Yamaha has some spazzy arc-problem now, I will have to bribe the local guy that doesn't fix consumer electronics to bring it back to life.

After several trips to Chicago and experimenting with turntable/cartridge combos, I decided my favorite thang is a moving magnet design, the Goldring g1042. I liked it so much I bought an extra stylus. It's very Grado-like, and I'm still a huge Grado fan.

If you want to flirt with a high output MC design and only have a MM phono amp, the Denon DL-110 High Output Moving Coil Phono Cartridge is great.
Last edited by Redline on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Mason on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:33 pm

The model I have is a weird variant meant for the Canadian market, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's off common specs in some ways. There is definitely no external MC/MM switch, though I didn't think to check for an internal one.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Evin Relocation on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:22 pm

Initial mix of the new Sleep Envy record.

52 minute long song.
Evin Relocation
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Mason on Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:56 pm

Found a manual for my weird receiver model and yeah, it's MM-only, 3mV input sensitivity. So I don't know what's up anymore.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby motorbike guy on Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:28 am

maybe its broke.

if the other inputs work well, then its an outboard phono preamp for you.

or just ditch the Yamaha receiver. Get something better like an NAD.
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy

Postby Redline on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:18 pm

Marantz has been killing it for the last 10 years, as far as affordable cd players that sound great and less expensive amps/receivers. This integrated amp has a built in MM phono section, tons of inputs for other stuff, and an honest 40 WPC, you'd probably never have to upgrade.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... 2e92b58f45
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby El Protoolio on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:42 am

I bought a brand new Onkyo TX 8020 receiver within the last six months and I love it. Inexpensive, simple, all analog circuitry, no digital effects. It’s powerful and it sounds great.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Redline on Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:14 pm

El Protoolio wrote:I bought a brand new Onkyo TX 8020 receiver within the last six months and I love it. Inexpensive, simple, all analog circuitry, no digital effects. It’s powerful and it sounds great.

RIGHT! Something that doesn't suck for under 500 bucks with a good phono amp. This kind of thing will be making a comeback. Fuck surround sound in the eye, really....
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Me Again on Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:21 pm

Redline wrote:Marantz has been killing it for the last 10 years, as far as affordable cd players that sound great and less expensive amps/receivers. This integrated amp has a built in MM phono section, tons of inputs for other stuff, and an honest 40 WPC, you'd probably never have to upgrade.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... 2e92b58f45

Have got one of those ^^^ and do like it.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
baboon
baboon

Postby cerebralheadtrip on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:43 am

ive had a Nagaoka MP110 cartridge for the past few years that ive really enjoyed but pretty sure they stylus is up for replacement. decided to try sticking a MP200 stylus on the MP110 body. from what ive read, should still see a pretty noticeable upgrade (though obv not as much as if you had both cartridge and stylus). found a really good deal on one on ebay, kinda curious how this works out.
cerebralheadtrip
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Evanc521 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:42 pm

I have a set of Rockport Mira's being driven by a Conrad-Johnson Premier SA SS amp & a Krell KSH pre. TT is an old Well-Tempered Reference deck w/ a Grado Gold cartridge that I just rehabbed.

If anyone is looking for a solid, great sounding table for under a grand, you have to check out the new VPI Cliffwood, we have a couple at work and it demolishes everything else at that price point.
Evanc521
richard diebenkorn
richard diebenkorn

Postby Redline on Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:36 pm

Evanc521 wrote:
If anyone is looking for a solid, great sounding table for under a grand, you have to check out the new VPI Cliffwood, we have a couple at work and it demolishes everything else at that price point.

And it comes w/ a Grado Green cartridge. VPI has been killing it for some time, glad to see a table under 1k.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Evanc521 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:50 pm

Redline wrote:Evanc521 wrote:

And it comes w/ a Grado Green cartridge. VPI has been killing it for some time, glad to see a table under 1k.

Totally, and it is 100% made in the US.
Evanc521
richard diebenkorn
richard diebenkorn

Postby Redline on Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:34 pm

Totally, and it is 100% made in the US.

And even the cartridge is made in Brooklyn, boyeee...
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby etch on Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:01 pm

FM LBX: I have a Lenco idler arm, grommets, and wheel if you need one, I'll send it right out! Check your PM's.
PRF Singles Club Dropbox
http://lakeoffake.com/yum (Download Code)
lakeoffake.com
etch

Postby Facundo on Tue May 01, 2018 2:50 am

I bought a wire's pink flag pirate lp for the price of a well edited LP, so I feel like a fucking hillbilly bumpkin, and i started the day whiskeying drink.
Facundo
bullwinkle
bullwinkle

Postby uglysound on Tue May 01, 2018 9:58 am

Those VPI Cliffwood tables are listed as "plug and play". Does that mean that the preamp is built in?
uglysound
julia sweeney
julia sweeney

Postby Major on Tue May 01, 2018 10:06 am

uglysound wrote:Those VPI Cliffwood tables are listed as "plug and play". Does that mean that the preamp is built in?

Is not.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Redline on Tue May 01, 2018 10:30 am

Major wrote:
uglysound wrote:Those VPI Cliffwood tables are listed as "plug and play". Does that mean that the preamp is built in?

Is not.

That would be the up-graded Nomad, it is now The Player, yeah it's 1,500 bucks but it is designed for receivers / stereos without phono amps (and even has a nifty headphone amp).
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion