home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Post while you are depressed thread

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Post while you are depressed thread

Postby VaticanShotglass on Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:06 pm

soniksister wrote:the oakland fire is pretty hard to take right now, I'm a total hermit and I know people that were lost in the tragedy.

That is a nightmare. I'm so sorry for your loss.
VaticanShotglass
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby soniksister on Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:39 pm

VaticanShotglass wrote:
soniksister wrote:the oakland fire is pretty hard to take right now, I'm a total hermit and I know people that were lost in the tragedy.

That is a nightmare. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thank you, it doesn't seem real.
Then it does.
---
below the salt means less
than something else i said
soniksister
ensign
ensign

Postby catwoman on Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:01 pm

bishopdante wrote:One of the best descriptions I've heard of depression is "anger turned inwards". It's the long-term result of frustration and unfulfilling states. Often those date back to early childhood.

I hate hearing this "anger turned inwards" stuff. Nonsense.
Oh, yeah, and let's blame it on your childhood....
catwoman
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby VaticanShotglass on Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:30 pm

catwoman wrote:
bishopdante wrote:One of the best descriptions I've heard of depression is "anger turned inwards". It's the long-term result of frustration and unfulfilling states. Often those date back to early childhood.

Yeah, that was Freud. It's just not how depression works. Self-loathing, maybe, but that sounds pretty obvious and not so insightful.
VaticanShotglass

Postby catwoman on Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:46 pm

VaticanShotglass wrote:
catwoman wrote:

Yeah, that was Freud. It's just not how depression works. Self-loathing, maybe, but that sounds pretty obvious and not so insightful.

Exactly.
And for what it's worth, I've come to the conclusion that psychotherapy/talk therapy, is mostly a lot of useless navel gazing, as well. If it worked, we wouldn't have so many depressed folks. Sure, it's swell to have some insight, do a little introspection, but then what?

I'm having an especially rough spot this week, so seeing that old chestnut of "anger turned inward" made me want to turn some anger outward.
catwoman
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Pasta on Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:23 pm

Not really depressed, actually quite content. Just been thinking that ceasing to exist wouldn't be so bad.

No suicidal ideation. Just over aspects of it.

Maybe it's because I've been eating lots of horseradish and feta.
Ninety Five Cents? FUCK YOU!!! I'LL SKATE TO THE BEACH.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby kokorodoko on Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:12 am

catwoman wrote:And for what it's worth, I've come to the conclusion that psychotherapy/talk therapy, is mostly a lot of useless navel gazing, as well. If it worked, we wouldn't have so many depressed folks. Sure, it's swell to have some insight, do a little introspection, but then what?

My experience of talk therapy is that what benefit merely talking does have is that I am talking to somebody I like, and I know that they care. A therapist I know does not care in any real sense. And what's more I don't care whether they care or not either.
Some people feel better about having this distance, but for me it's the exact opposite.
Janeway wrote:those cat-food-for-lunch-deserving motherfuckers 8)
kokorodoko
satan
satan

Postby Wood Goblin on Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:59 am

My understanding is that therapy has been moving more toward a behavior-modification approach than an approach that simply asks patients to unburden themselves, etc. It's easy to ridicule behavior modification as "I must not think bad thoughts," but I think there's a ton of value in it, at least as part of treatment that might also include changes to diet, exercise, medications, so on.

The burden of being imaginative/creative is that you can visualize bad things so viscerally. The drawback to simply "unburdening" yourself is that it can let you dwell in a bad place.
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby kokorodoko on Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:19 pm

Absolutely, behavior-modification has tons of things going for it. I have gained a lot from it.

"Unburdening" myself in a therapeutical setting leaves me feeling kind of filthy, violated even.
kokorodoko
satan
satan

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:50 pm

Wood Goblin wrote:My understanding is that therapy has been moving more toward a behavior-modification approach than an approach that simply asks patients to unburden themselves, etc. It's easy to ridicule behavior modification as "I must not think bad thoughts," but I think there's a ton of value in it, at least as part of treatment that might also include changes to diet, exercise, medications, so on.

Correct.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT). Look 'em up.

Much more going on with these approaches than just talking/"unburdening."
Angus Jung
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Boombats on Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:01 pm

Angus Jung wrote:
Wood Goblin wrote:My understanding is that therapy has been moving more toward a behavior-modification approach than an approach that simply asks patients to unburden themselves, etc. It's easy to ridicule behavior modification as "I must not think bad thoughts," but I think there's a ton of value in it, at least as part of treatment that might also include changes to diet, exercise, medications, so on.

Correct.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT). Look 'em up.

Much more going on with these approaches than just talking/"unburdening."

To be fair, that's what Wood Goblin said: that behavioral therapy IS more than just talking and unburdening, which is true.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby catwoman on Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:04 pm

CBT is a sound therapeutic approach, but as with all these things, finding a good and compatible practitioner to work with can be pretty daunting, especially when they charge upwards of $150 per session.

I tried a little CBT with a woman that I thought I could work with, but she was entirely too "chirpy cheery easy peasy" for me. I'm a tough nut to crack, and "doing the homework" is a huge issue for me. I need direction, but I resist it if it doesn't feel right. I'd just like a new life, please.
catwoman
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Pasta on Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:05 pm

catwoman wrote:CBT is a sound therapeutic approach, but as with all these things, finding a good and compatible practitioner to work with can be pretty daunting, especially when they charge upwards of $150 per session.

I tried a little CBT with a woman that I thought I could work with, but she was entirely too "chirpy cheery easy peasy" for me. I'm a tough nut to crack, and "doing the homework" is a huge issue for me. I need direction, but I resist it if it doesn't feel right. I'd just like a new life, please.

I only do CBT. It appeals to my logic based semi OCD approach to much of life. When you find the right shrink, connect, AND DO YOUR HOMEWORK. CBT can really help frame an approach that alleviates depression. The biggest for me was learning to recognize the difference between situational and chronic depression. (Do I need to work on my approach to a given situation, or should I talk to my doctor about fiddling with my anti depressant).
Ninety Five Cents? FUCK YOU!!! I'LL SKATE TO THE BEACH.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby kokorodoko on Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:01 pm

The biggest things I have learnt from CBT (and mindfulness in tandem) is:
1) depressive states and pangs of pain actually pass and aren't half as long as I think they are. It's the thoughts of "It will never get better" and so on that creates the feeling of perpetual low, which are in themselves something that can be worked by similar methods.
2) obsessive nasty thoughts that throw me into negative spirals are more like bad habits than anything else. They are just something that is triggered in certain situations, they don't need to be oriented after.

Then it's the question of getting to the point of getting out of those, of course. Not there yet.

But I agree with you catwoman, if the therapist isn't right, nothing will work. Which is one reason why I'm always hesitant to start on something like this. The thought of having the money-clock ticking away at what might turn out to be a waste of time is distraction enough from what you're actually trying to do. Really I think it should be illegal to charge money for these sorts of things.

But 150$ - seriously!? Where I live I think the rate is around €30 to maybe €50 at most, and I consider that insane.

EDIT: Looked it up, seems it's closer to around €80. Not that great difference then. Yuck.
kokorodoko
satan
satan

Postby catwoman on Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:56 pm

kokorodoko wrote:But I agree with you catwoman, if the therapist isn't right, nothing will work. Which is one reason why I'm always hesitant to start on something like this. The thought of having the money-clock ticking away at what might turn out to be a waste of time is distraction enough from what you're actually trying to do. Really I think it should be illegal to charge money for these sorts of things.

But 150$ - seriously!? Where I live I think the rate is around €30 to maybe €50 at most, and I consider that insane.

EDIT: Looked it up, seems it's closer to around €80. Not that great difference then. Yuck.

Many therapists either don'the accept insurance, or accept only a few. And, frankly, I wasn't keen on having this stuff documented on my employers health plan, HIPAA regs notwithstanding.
catwoman
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby kokorodoko on Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:40 pm

catwoman wrote:And, frankly, I wasn't keen on having this stuff documented on my employers health plan, HIPAA regs notwithstanding.

I get that, but it really sucks if that is keeping someone from seeking treatment. Shouldn't this type of thing fall under some kind of personal privacy law?
kokorodoko
satan
satan

Postby VaticanShotglass on Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:56 pm

I was lucky to have a great CBT therapist through student health. $15 per session with my old insurance. God bless. I'm feeling a lot of anger about losing insurance right now. When plain old CBT wasn't on the table, she was a pretty good coach. She was great for answering practical questions about resources and help organizing problem solving. I could also ask her about Psych research and things if so interested.
VaticanShotglass

Postby VaticanShotglass on Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:27 pm

Currently trying to organize my dad's health care papers, writing his living will, revising his death will, fix up the old family home a bit, and trying my best to explain medical procedures to my family. This while my wife is with her family likely organizing how to leave me. I may have seen my cats for the last time; I certainly won't have them if we split.

Helping my family is important, but it does not feel quite as purposeful as I had hoped. It's actually pretty goddamned depressing. Everything is so fucking broken. Responsibility is all I'm running on. I don't like being near all these damned guns. I'm not just terribly depressed, I'm so goddamned sad.
VaticanShotglass

Postby A Landing Craft on Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:57 am

No outlet. In debt. Can't provide. Want to get a different job but can't be bothered to get back on that treadmill. Hate going outside. Sertraline feels like it ain't working anymore. Things cost money, but have none. No music made in years. No energy. Can't concentrate. Don't know what to do. Had a massive argument with the wife, feel guilty for her taking the reins because I can't do anything, and don't wanna do anything. Lots of plans, lots of procrastination, lots of dwelling on the cons. Can't help myself.
A Landing Craft
chimp
chimp

Postby Janeway on Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:47 pm

^you need a win, even a small one. like a good laugh and a favorite movie.

this inspired me after i got out of the hospital a couple weeks ago..

i found out my step-grandpa who's tough as nails and smells like a new car and a cigar at the same time all the time..don't ask.. had open heart surgery?! i was like thanks alot for the heads up fam, but my mom was like "psh. . there was nothing to tell, ofcourse he was going to be fine.."

apparently not only was his surgery a breeze, but afterward he got sick of waiting for the nurses to get their shit together for him to be discharged so he took out his own iv and walked out of the hospital himself.

whats more is that since my step grandma is always too "busy bodied" to answer the phone so he could ask for a ride, he just walked himself home, a mile in michigan's ridiculous winter, at 92 years old.

this was a month ago. hes just been chilling at home since like nothing even happened.
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion