home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Let us see your bike.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Let us see your bike.

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:31 am

Out of curiosity I was looking for them too and couldn't find them, but I see them now on Polish ebay, listed as "FSA Omega ABS MegaExO" 46/30, priced at an equivalent of ~100 euro, so I guess they finally found their way to mass market.

https://www.bike24.com/p2208747.html 63

63 euro here (different model)

My guess is those will be really popular on gravel bikes soon, or at least should be.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Madman Munt on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:27 am

I've never seen one in stock that was not attached to a new bike.

emmanuelle cunt wrote:My guess is those will be really popular on gravel bikes soon, or at least should be.

Makes total sense even for most road riders. 46/30 or 48/32 is ideal for me.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:10 am

Me too, I'm so slow I'd be happy with 46*13 as the top gear. Looking at the gearing in some the bikes marketed as gravel/travel/adventure ones makes me scratch my head.
emmanuelle cunt

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:33 pm

emmanuelle cunt wrote:Me too, I'm so slow I'd be happy with 46*13 as the top gear. Looking at the gearing in some the bikes marketed as gravel/travel/adventure ones makes me scratch my head.

As in too high or two low?
Verbs & Nouns
robert rauschenberg
robert rauschenberg

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:49 pm

These are my four (out of five) bikes.

Specialized Rockhopper dad bike. Has a Yepp Mini seat on it usually. You can see the bracket on the stem. This was boring grey when I bought it, so I did a DIY pink / blue / white / black splatter paint job on it. Needs a new headset as well, but doesn’t get ridden a whole heap.

All City Space Horse. One of my commuters / do everything in all weather bike. Lives at my mother-in-laws most of the time because that commute is the longest. Love this bike. I want to start getting out on it more and riding in the hills near home.

Paconi touring frame. Australian built steel tourer. Set up as a 1x10 (44t narrow-wide chain ring, 11-28t cassette). This is my other commuter. The 1x10 is great, but I find I’m a touch limited by the gearing if I want do more than just commute on it. Will be changing the cassette to 11-36 very soon with a new rear derailleur.

Samson NJS track bike. I bought this frame in Japan in 2009. I haven’t ridden it much in the last few years. I swapped the stem and bars out for something more practical than track drops and have been out on it a bit. It’s since got a longer, flat quill stem and different grips since this photo was taken.

Edit: I don’t know how to make my photos bigger with imgur. Sorry.
Verbs & Nouns
robert rauschenberg
robert rauschenberg

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:57 am

Verbs & Nouns wrote:
emmanuelle cunt wrote:Me too, I'm so slow I'd be happy with 46*13 as the top gear. Looking at the gearing in some the bikes marketed as gravel/travel/adventure ones makes me scratch my head.

As in too high or too low?

Too high, or at least lacking on the low end. Vast majority of them is equipped with 50/34 cranks and 11-30/32 cassettes, sometimes even 11-28. It maybe fine for guys from Bike Radar, GCN and what not, but average Joe like me needs at least one gear below the 1:1 ratio on 700C wheels when faced an incline in a forest (roots, sand etc) or even a 13%+ one on tarmac on a loaded bike. There's a reason why MTB bikes gearing goes as low as it does. On the top end, cadence of 90 rpm on 50*11 with 700*38 tires is 53,8 km/h. I know there people who are able to go this fast but setting this as a standard is just ignoring the reality, especially for bikes with promo shots like this:

I also seriously don't understand the Shimano logic regarding the road cranks. Putting the triples aside, we get 53/39, 52/36, 50/34 aaaand 46/34. Because everybody doing below 15km/h should get off the bike and run with it, like in cyclecorss.
emmanuelle cunt

Postby benadrian on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:12 pm

Could you run a 50-34 in front and then the cassette from a SRAM 1x on the back, like 11-42?

Or, here we go. Just force fit a mtn drivetrain on a gravel bike.
http://365cycles.com/sram-gx-eagle-grou ... gLLpfD_BwE

32 in front, 10-50 in the back! :)

But I hear you. I do a lot of mountain road riding on my Specialized Roubaix endurance bike. It goes down to 34x34, and many times I'm suffering in that gear and I'm not even carrying a load; just a couple water bottles and a minimal tool kit.
benadrian
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:41 pm

My Space Horse is 50/34 at the front and 11-36 at the back. It’s a Shimano XT cassette and either a Sram mid or long cage derailleur. For about $100 you can change the cassette and derailleur to get a bigger range of gears.
Verbs & Nouns
robert rauschenberg
robert rauschenberg

Postby Madman Munt on Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:39 pm

benadrian wrote:I do a lot of mountain road riding on my Specialized Roubaix endurance bike. It goes down to 34x34, and many times I'm suffering in that gear and I'm not even carrying a load; just a couple water bottles and a minimal tool kit.

If you don't suffer, you'll never get faster!
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby benadrian on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:03 pm

Madman Munt wrote:
benadrian wrote:I do a lot of mountain road riding on my Specialized Roubaix endurance bike. It goes down to 34x34, and many times I'm suffering in that gear and I'm not even carrying a load; just a couple water bottles and a minimal tool kit.

If you don't suffer, you'll never get faster!

Oh, I embrace the suffering and i enjoy hill climbs. I'm just adding my support that, even with a 1:1 gear ratio, big ass hills can still hurt. I'm all for less that 1:1 ratios, especially if I'm not in my lycra. My Cross Check has a 24-28 gear, I think. I'm frequently i that gear when riding home after eating a big dinner.
benadrian

Postby hayate on Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:37 pm

A bike. Landed in my lap yesterday. Silver. Says gary fisher on it.

I don't know what it means.

Except that I can now go places under the influence and not worry about cops. This could be the answer to life.

Not saying the answer to life looks like this, but it looks like this

Verbs & Nouns wrote:Image
Ill continue my day to day life, and if youre psycho enough to come find me, we'll fight until one of us has blood pouring out of his ears. Until that day, fuck you and your lute

My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'
hayate
sweetbreads
sweetbreads

Previous

Return to General Discussion