home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

new turntable for me, please.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: new turntable for me, please.

Postby Redline on Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:33 am

Some folks are ripping out the built-in phono amp and using an out board phono along with a cartridge upgrade. However, my buddy left his LP120 as-is, cheap cartridge and everything, and he's happy with it.
I'd take your time before you fuck with it, get to know it, take it out for breakfast, etc.
Redline
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby El Protoolio on Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:38 pm

My friend who's apartment I stay in when I'm in Chicago has one of those. I use it when I'm there. I like it better than my similar level Music Hall USB 1.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Gantry on Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:56 pm

LP120 is a great turntable for the price by most reviews, I'd stick with it. Heck I have the model below (LP-60) and see no reason to upgrade the stock stylus. When I need a new one I'll probably go with a somewhat decent one but not dumping what's in there now.
Gantry
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Teacher's Pet on Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:57 pm

I'm using one of those colored Pro-ject Debut Carbon turntables;

I'm hearing static-y clicks; I though it might be dust on the record, but I let the motor/platter spin without dropping the needle and I still hear the clicks.

Is this dry winter carpet static type noise?
Is that what they make those funny Zerostat zappers for?

I'm curious whether there's any other simple remedies for this.
Teacher's Pet
cool kid
cool kid

Postby a leg plaster on Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:10 pm

Something I have never thought or learned about: should I buy a turntable mat? I have seen cork, cowhide, acrylic, all sorts and colors. My turntable isn't exactly top of the line, but would acquiring one of these benefit me at all?
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby rappard on Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:24 pm

a leg plaster wrote:Something I have never thought or learned about: should I buy a turntable mat? I have seen cork, cowhide, acrylic, all sorts and colors. My turntable isn't exactly top of the line, but would acquiring one of these benefit me at all?

Acrylic? That's likely a replacement/upgrade platter, not a mat.
rappard
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby a leg plaster on Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:40 pm

Whoops! Yep, you're correct. Thought everything on the Turntable Labs record mars page was either a weight or a mat. There is a cowhide one though!
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster

Postby rappard on Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:58 pm

I've never used a mat, so I wouldn't know. If you google "<turntable_brand_and_model> mat", do you get any useful results? Even the Steve Hoffman forums have useful information here and there, not all SH members are corksniffing c***s.

For instance, one of the first hits for my turntable gave the following:
http://vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=64175&start=30 wrote:I have the VPI corkmat on my p3-24 and love it and it's cheap.
rappard
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby chrisc on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:54 pm

Here's one going the other direction. I'm looking for a low budget, low footpring turntable that I can plug my headphones directly into. Doesn't need to sound AMAZING, but my ears work. For example, one of those Crosley things would be perfect but I've heard nothing but bad things from my friends.
chrisc
red hodges
red hodges

Postby Redline on Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:15 pm

Redline

Postby Gantry on Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:32 pm

You aren't going to find a regular TT with a bulit in headphone jack, you'll have to go the all-in-one route. Most are junk but can do the job, got this for a friend's daughter as a gift and she's happy with it:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BCA4116

Obviously nothing even close to high end (or midrange) but you can do a lot worse for $45. If you really want to do it somewhat right and never need traditional speakers, getting a TT and a cheap headphone amp is your best bet.
Gantry
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby WoundedFoot on Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:39 pm

chrisc wrote:Here's one going the other direction. I'm looking for a low budget, low footpring turntable that I can plug my headphones directly into. Doesn't need to sound AMAZING, but my ears work. For example, one of those Crosley things would be perfect but I've heard nothing but bad things from my friends.

The Jensen would be perfect, but it seems to me that they use the same or similarly cheap stylus the Crosleys do.

Crosleys are no good. The styluses are extremely cheap, can potentially damage your records and are prone to skipping. Echoing Gantry's post, you may want to spend a little more and get one of the lower end Audio Technica tables and get a small mixer with RCA inputs and a phones out. Thats what I'd do. However, judging from the Amazon page for it, if you buy a brand new AT-LP60 you get 2 cables ("Includes: Two output adapter cables (dual RCA female to mini-plug male & dual RCA female to mini-plug female"), the latter of which you could plug phones into. the only issue would be controlling volume, which you can't do directly on the turntable itself. You could also just buy one of those stand alone phono preamps for hooking older turntables up to line level inputs. These are not expensive and usually have a phones out (however, the newer AT tables have built in pre-amps or are line level so I don't know if this would cause any sound issues and again, no volume control unless your headphones are capable of such, i.e. a volume control attached to the headphone cable itself).

There are very bare-bones Behringer mixers with just a few channels that have RCA. This way you can control the volume. I got the vintage Realistic mixer pictured below for $20 or so at a pawn shop. Have seen them cheap on eBay as well. Has multiple phono ins and all that jazz. Having one of these would probably be handy if you like to fuck about with audio stuff.

WoundedFoot
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby chrisc on Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:48 pm

I was about to pull the trigger on the Jensen but I'm sold on this. Please forgive my ignorance, but I wouldn't need an amplifier at all if I were to get the Audio Technica you've mentioned with a small mixer?
chrisc
red hodges
red hodges

Postby WoundedFoot on Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:24 pm

chrisc wrote:I was about to pull the trigger on the Jensen but I'm sold on this. Please forgive my ignorance, but I wouldn't need an amplifier at all if I were to get the Audio Technica you've mentioned with a small mixer?

Nope. The turntable has a built in switchable phono preamp, so you're all good there. For the price, I'd say the Audio Technicas are the highest quality entry level tables you can get and won't give you the hassles and issues of the cheaper models from other manufacturers. Also, having a mixer handy is nice, should you ever need one.
WoundedFoot

Postby chrisc on Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:45 pm

Thanks a bunch. This will be perfect. Was literally trying to justify the price of a small mixer just last night.
chrisc
red hodges
red hodges

Postby WoundedFoot on Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:02 pm

chrisc wrote:Thanks a bunch. This will be perfect. Was literally trying to justify the price of a small mixer just last night.

Glad I could help, dude. :smt001
WoundedFoot

Postby Thanasis on Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:05 am

Redline wrote:It will sound....Awesome.

motorbike guy wrote:yah. if that doesn't sound amazingly better than what you had, it's broken.

You blokes were right. The Scout II (w/ Classic platter, periphery ring and HRX centre-weight) arrived recently and after a week of listening, it sounds incredible. So much better than the Technics/AT440mla combination I had. The sound is clearer, there is noticeably better separation across the L and R channels. Lower level sounds/instruments that were previously harder to hear, are now much easier to discern out of the speakers. The sound quality of well recorded and pressed records is much higher with this tt and cart.

I dug around the internet and found a lot of very positive reviews of the Scout/Ortofon 2M Black combination which VPI also recommend on their website. The dealer set it up for me while I watched closely for future reference and adjusments.

The 2M Black is perhaps more prone to skipping that the AT cart so I use the periphery ring and centre-weight to tame any warps. Putting the ring on and taking it off requires care as it rather heavy. I haven't measured the speed stability but I haven't heard anything to make me want to.
Thanasis
norse
norse

Postby Redline on Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:28 am

Thanasis wrote:
it sounds incredible

Yay! Congrats!
Thanasis wrote:
I haven't measured the speed stability but I haven't heard anything to make me want to

I bought the VPI Synchronus Drive System and a strobe disc / light kit, it runs extra steady and is perfect for correcting lp's mastered at the wrong speeds. The changes in pitch due to the variation of house current are eliminated, etc., I am obsessed with records running at the correct speed so that's my OCD I guess.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7709-vpi-s ... m-sds.aspx
Redline

Postby earhopper on Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:49 pm

Evin Relocation wrote:Anybody check out these U-Turn joints yet?

I can't stop looking at records; they just seem to be calling out to me!

Edit: http://uturnaudio.com/turntables/

Curious if anyone has experience with these as yet (apologies if I missed it in another thread).

8)
earhopper

Postby Redline on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:58 am

The new Direct Drive Technics SL-1200G is $4000.00.

:shock:
Redline

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion