home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

new turntable for me, please.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: new turntable for me, please.

Postby geiginni on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:36 pm

Whoa!

That'll make the price of a VPI Prime a little easier to stomach!
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby rappard on Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:38 am

earhopper wrote:
Evin Relocation wrote:Anybody check out these U-Turn joints yet?

I can't stop looking at records; they just seem to be calling out to me!

Edit: http://uturnaudio.com/turntables/

Curious if anyone has experience with these as yet (apologies if I missed it in another thread).

8)

I just checked their website - the customization and upgrade options look great.

That said, for the same budget you can get a Pro-Ject. They've been around far longer and (more importantly) spare parts are easily available. Will U-Turn be around five years from now? Also, shipping your turntable to get it fixed sounds like a major drag.
Robert Bork wrote:[S]ome of the worst rappers are white, like Nine Inch Nails.
rappard
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby superslacker on Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:37 am

Avoid the audio technica ATLP60, especially if you're a guitar player, they play records slightly fast. Unfortunately, I discovered this after buying one and trying to play guitar along to a song.
You get what you pay for.
superslacker
alderman
alderman

Postby Redline on Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:49 am

superslacker wrote:Avoid the audio technica ATLP60, especially if you're a guitar player, they play records slightly fast. Unfortunately, I discovered this after buying one and trying to play guitar along to a song.
You get what you pay for.

Pitch / motor speed control is a must...Many cheaper used turntables have pitch controls.
Redline
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Ben Abraham on Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:41 pm

I'm looking to step up my turntable game and I'm looking to replace my Technics SL-5200.

I considered getting the highly recommended Music Hall, Pro Ject, etc, but I kind of like the convenience of a good quality automatic. It's nice to just turn the thing on and make breakfast or something without manually operating the table.

Does anyone here know anything about old Dual 12xx series turntables? They have a multiplay feature that lets you drop different records like a jukebox. This seems cool but is it more of a gimmick than anything else? Will it mess up records? I've been scoping out eBay for some restored/serviced ones.

phpBB [media]
Ben Abraham
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Ben Abraham on Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:14 pm

Ben Abraham wrote:I'm looking to step up my turntable game and I'm looking to replace my Technics SL-5200.

I considered getting the highly recommended Music Hall, Pro Ject, etc, but I kind of like the convenience of a good quality automatic. It's nice to just turn the thing on and make breakfast or something without manually operating the table.

Does anyone here know anything about old Dual 12xx series turntables? They have a multiplay feature that lets you drop different records like a jukebox. This seems cool but is it more of a gimmick than anything else? Will it mess up records? I've been scoping out eBay for some restored/serviced ones.

phpBB [media]

I should have heeded the advice of others on the thread. I grabbed one on eBay: it showed up broken but apart from that it's bulky and overly complex and annoying to use.

I'm going to save up for a Pro Ject Debut Carbon Espirt.
Ben Abraham

Postby jbar on Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:18 pm

I just inherited my grandfather's old tower. Not sure of the brand, age, or quality of the needle. Should I worry about changing anything? Seems to work fine. I have some Boner era melvins stuff I'd rather not shred.
jbar
thomas paine
thomas paine

Postby El Protoolio on Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:08 pm

I'd swap the needle and make sure it's balanced and set up properly.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Redline on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:40 pm

The 4000 dollar Technics sl-1200g turntable is a "Product of the Year" for Absolute Sound magazine, even though the reviewer didn't like the tonearm, so he's only reviewing the rest of it (!!!), and it's direct drive after everyone in the universe said belt drive is better, and now you can hear the sound of my Absolute Sound subscription expiring...
Redline

Postby Facundo on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:34 am

Facundo
cookie monster
cookie monster

Postby motorbike guy on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:41 am

Redline wrote:The 4000 dollar Technics sl-1200g turntable is a "Product of the Year" for Absolute Sound magazine, even though the reviewer didn't like the tonearm, so he's only reviewing the rest of it (!!!), and it's direct drive after everyone in the universe said belt drive is better, and now you can hear the sound of my Absolute Sound subscription expiring...

that tonearm is great for a DJ. Not so good for hifi. it has a nasty upper mid resonance that I do not like.

Why would they recommend the turntable if there is no provision to fit an alternate tonearm? Eh. TAS has been irrelevant for a while. it is a shame. in the 80s and 90s they were the bible. Stereophile is marginally better, I guess. Just pinch your nose shut and read Fremer?
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Redline on Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:42 pm

motorbike guy wrote:
Why would they recommend the turntable if there is no provision to fit an alternate tonearm?

Visions of James Bond in You Only Live Twice pop into my mind.

I already let Stereophile run out, after awhile I got to the point of listening to my stereo instead of taking all the time to improve it.

On a related note, the new Music Direct catalog is out and there's all kinds of wild stuff in there, JBL speakers with giant horns, crazy VPI turntables, etc.
Redline

Previous

Return to General Discussion