home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Postby 154 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:27 pm

ldopa_chicago wrote:Plus, radiators mean free heat which no small benefit in Chicago!

It didn't specify that, plus it said 'unit controlled heat' which makes me think it's not your typical landlord controlled basement heater.

(and to onlookers: this is not insignificant, as for a place that size you're looking at an extra $200-300 during polar vortex months)

That seems like a fair price for that nice of place that size. Thing is, it would be too massive for your average couple anyway.

Smitty Yeagermanjensen wrote:They don't mention garage parking, so it's probably safe to assume you don't get any, which is a definite minus.

That area is shitasshellballs hard to find parking in too. (and looking at it again, that 'garage' looks like a coach house)
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Smitty Yeagermanjensen on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:35 am

154 wrote:Thing is, it would be too massive for your average couple anyway.

DFTR is a couple plus one, but yeah, when I was looking at the pics and description, it seemed like the type of place a young, professional family of 4 would live in until the kids got old enough to go to school and the parents got old enough to get tired of all the bs associated with renting/living in the city, said "screw it" and bought a house the suburbs. I'd almost give 5-1 odds that whoever was in this place before did exactly that.

There was also no mention of chickens in the ad, so I'm guessing no free eggs either. Deal breaker.
Smitty Yeagermanjensen
assistant intern
assistant intern

Postby dontfeartheringo on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:05 am

Smitty Yeagermanjensen wrote:

DFTR is a couple plus one, but yeah, when I was looking at the pics and description, it seemed like the type of place a young, professional family of 4 would live in until the kids got old enough to go to school and the parents got old enough to get tired of all the bs associated with renting/living in the city, said "screw it" and bought a house the suburbs. I'd almost give 5-1 odds that whoever was in this place before did exactly that.

There was also no mention of chickens in the ad, so I'm guessing no free eggs either. Deal breaker.

There are a lot of details about that spot that make me want it. Even without free eggs, my daughter thinks chickens are amazing.

But yeah, that's $1k more than my current mortgage payment. I used to live in that part of Rogers Park and always looked at those houses with lust in my heart. The beach isn't such a dealmaker for me as that mix of plaster and hardwood.
tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
dontfeartheringo
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby jimmy two hands on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:11 am

dontfeartheringo wrote:

There are a lot of details about that spot that make me want it. Even without free eggs, my daughter thinks chickens are amazing.

But yeah, that's $1k more than my current mortgage payment. I used to live in that part of Rogers Park and always looked at those houses with lust in my heart. The beach isn't such a dealmaker for me as that mix of plaster and hardwood.

Is you is looking to relocate to coolsville, sir?
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby dontfeartheringo on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:55 am

jimmy two hands wrote:
dontfeartheringo wrote:

Is you is looking to relocate to coolsville, sir?

Yizz. It's on the table, at least. Once we get through this current crisis (re: mom in hospice), I'd like to make sure the next one happens somewhere closer to Faiz (or his mom, depending on crisis type and depth).
tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
dontfeartheringo
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:10 pm

Friends!

I have a bud looking for an apartment in our fine city. She's a classical/new music flautist and plays with a group in Chicago and is looking for something in the usual neighborhoods (Logan, Wicker Park, Pilsen, etc.) with the only requirements being close to major transit and no more than $600 a month. If anyone has a place and needs a new, awesome roommate for September 1st, let me know and I'll get y'all in touch!
Unofficial Pono spokesperson.

SELF/KJ/SAR/BP
SUMMER OF DOUG'S
four_oclocker_2
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Superking on Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:51 pm

Paging Jacob to the thread.
Angus Jung wrote:Anyway, yeah, women, metal/heavy shit, 2012, everywhere.

The Hero of Love!
Superking
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Marsupialized on Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:03 pm

Might be looking come December, if anyone has anything and is cool with the Kratom grow operation
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby jacobwilliam on Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:53 pm

Superking wrote:Paging Jacob to the thread.

PM sent
jacobwilliam
jasper johns
jasper johns

Postby Marsupialized on Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:44 am

I am looking for an apartment under 800 bucks a month, if anyone knows anything please let me know
Marsupialized

Postby catwoman on Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:15 pm

Maybe it's been mentioned before, but check out here,
http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/bldgs/provdrs/inspect/svcs/building_violationsonline.html
to see if there are any Building Code violation problems in any building you're considering renting in.
catwoman
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby chrisc on Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:31 pm

Hello! I have been bs-ing with a friend and fellow FM about Chicago neighborhoods, and am trying to make a move in early June. I'm refreshing craigslist, but I like you more so figured hell, why not? I'm trying for easy access to Lincoln Park though not necessarily in. I'll be transferring my job and am trying to stay under $600, which I suppose more than likely puts me in the roommate category.
chrisc
red hodges
red hodges

Postby ERawk on Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:02 pm

chrisc wrote:Hello! I have been bs-ing with a friend and fellow FM about Chicago neighborhoods, and am trying to make a move in early June. I'm refreshing craigslist, but I like you more so figured hell, why not? I'm trying for easy access to Lincoln Park though not necessarily in. I'll be transferring my job and am trying to stay under $600, which I suppose more than likely puts me in the roommate category.

There's an opening in our building.

The Fullerton or Diversey buses takes you directly to Lincoln Park in about 45-60 mins in an hour (depends on traffic). You could possibly have up to two roommates in the place.

PM me if you are interested.
You guys don't mind that I crash your little sausage party, right?

SecondEdition wrote:And also, just for the record - you have the best sig ever.

I was in a band with a cunt.
ERawk
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby 154 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:19 pm

I would look along the brown line north/west of the Montrose stop or so. Sharing a place for $500/600 is totally doable in those neighborhoods, and you are about a 25 minute train ride from (presumably) De Paul [edit: nevermind, you said job]. These neighborhoods would be North Center (the edge of it at least), Lincoln Square, Ravenswood/Ravenswood Manor, and East Albany Park.

Logan Square or Avondale would be alright if you're a biker, but man I hate commuting by bus.

Postby ERawk on Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:35 pm

Thanks for the potential tenant cock-block!

I should also add that heat is included, electric you pay.
You guys don't mind that I crash your little sausage party, right?

SecondEdition wrote:And also, just for the record - you have the best sig ever.

I was in a band with a cunt.
ERawk
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby chrisc on Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:35 pm

chrisc wrote:Hello! I have been bs-ing with a friend and fellow FM about Chicago neighborhoods, and am trying to make a move in early June. I'm refreshing craigslist, but I like you more so figured hell, why not? I'm trying for easy access to Lincoln Park though not necessarily in. I'll be transferring my job and am trying to stay under $600, which I suppose more than likely puts me in the roommate category.

BUMP The place above looked and sounded fantastic but I wasn't able to put the pieces all together in time. Currently staying with a friend in Logan Square, working near Wrigley Field, and also emailing craigslist randos that seem nice.
chrisc
red hodges
red hodges

Postby Marsupialized on Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:54 pm

Marsupialized wrote:I am looking for an apartment under 800 bucks a month, if anyone knows anything please let me know

I am not sure if I ever thanked noise&light publicly for giving me her old place but I God damn love it.
Grand and Halsted big ass one bedroom for under $550

Every day I come home, put my bag down and am all

phpBB [media]

To the cat

Life, my friends, is a stone groove.
Marsupialized

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:38 pm

Yo team!

Team KJ is beginning a "soft launch" for "looking for a new place to live in that is bigger than our weird place we live in now and is maybe like in Logan or Avondale or something." So if anyone knows of anything opening up in the next couple two-tree months or whatever, shout on over! We're in no rush, but we're looking...

SELF/KJ/SAR/BP
SUMMER OF DOUG'S
four_oclocker_2

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:24 pm

four_oclocker_2 wrote:Yo team!

Team KJ is beginning a "soft launch" for "looking for a new place to live in that is bigger than our weird place we live in now and is maybe like in Logan or Avondale or something." So if anyone knows of anything opening up in the next couple two-tree months or whatever, shout on over! We're in no rush, but we're looking...

Team KJ found a place! That means that our awesome, smaller place is now up for grabs in mid-Feb. If anyone is interested, it's right between Quenchers and the Fireside Bowl, has ample free parking, an awesome, awesome landlord and is a weird, little 2-bedroom place that is pretty damn cheap. One bedroom is a normal bedroom, the other has some crazy slanted walls that you could use as an office or little studio-type space. Super chill neighbors and it's all just generally great. I'd be more than happy to make an introduction to anyone who is looking for a place on short notice!

SELF/KJ/SAR/BP
SUMMER OF DOUG'S
four_oclocker_2

Postby catwoman on Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:45 pm

four_oclocker_2 wrote:If anyone is interested, it's right between Quenchers and the Fireside Bowl, has ample free parking, an awesome, awesome landlord and is a weird, little 2-bedroom place that is pretty damn cheap. One bedroom is a normal bedroom, the other has some crazy slanted walls that you could use as an office or little studio-type space. Super chill neighbors and it's all just generally great. I'd be more than happy to make an introduction to anyone who is looking for a place on short notice!

So long, neighbors I never met!
I'm over by there, too. It is a great little area...
Do you think the landlord will raise the rent on the next tenants? How much-ish, and is heat included? Mostly just wondering what things are going for over here, in "quirky" older buildings.
catwoman
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion