home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:56 am

catwoman wrote:
four_oclocker_2 wrote:If anyone is interested, it's right between Quenchers and the Fireside Bowl, has ample free parking, an awesome, awesome landlord and is a weird, little 2-bedroom place that is pretty damn cheap. One bedroom is a normal bedroom, the other has some crazy slanted walls that you could use as an office or little studio-type space. Super chill neighbors and it's all just generally great. I'd be more than happy to make an introduction to anyone who is looking for a place on short notice!


So long, neighbors I never met!
I'm over by there, too. It is a great little area...
Do you think the landlord will raise the rent on the next tenants? How much-ish, and is heat included? Mostly just wondering what things are going for over here, in "quirky" older buildings.


Whoa, really?? Well, we're here for another week and a half, so you never know!

Heat is not included and the building is kind of drafty, but that's nothing some plastic over the windows can't help you with. No idea how much the rent will go up, if at all. We were paying a super low amount (I think) for the location and such, but I'm also not sure if the landlord will now raise it given that property taxes are going up across the board. We really enjoyed the location and had actually just kept trying to find places on the same block, but being that close to the boulevard drove up rents in any other places and places that were smaller than ours were going for 1 1/2 times as much.
Unofficial Pono spokesperson.


SELF/KJ/SAR/BP
SUMMER OF DOUG'S
User avatar
four_oclocker_2
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3012
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:53 pm
Location: Logan Square.

Re: Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Postby chrisc on Thu May 12, 2016 1:07 pm

My lease is up July 1st and I gotta get out of here. Currently emailing craigslist randos for roommate situations. Maybe you need a roommate then? I spend most of my time along the red line but I feel more at home along the blue. I barely know what that means.

Also, I been here a year and done fucked up. I work nights and stayed in my house too much. Most of what I'm seeing for rent are two flats with three bedrooms. I barely know two people. Is there an area someone could recommend walking around looking for signs in with a higher number of big buildings of studio apartments for a guy with a minor case of the poverty?
User avatar
chrisc
red hodges
red hodges
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: Humboldt Park

Re: Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Postby unsaved on Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:55 pm

Saw this posted on Facebook, behind Bloodshot Records on Irving Park:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/5737032026.html
User avatar
unsaved
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard
 
Posts: 1898
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: ORD CFD EMS

Re: Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Postby Marsupialized on Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:47 pm

Oh, that's decent right there
User avatar
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 40816
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:21 am
Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Re: Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Postby tallchris on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:40 am

My apartment in Logan Square (west of Kimball at St Louis & Fullerton, really close to the Burlington) will be available soon. It's an awesome place, three bedrooms on the second story of a two-flat.

I'll post here once my landlord gets the listing up.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
User avatar
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8447
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:50 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Postby ldopa_chicago on Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:15 am

jimmy two hands wrote:Jam econo for fuck's sake.

I play guitar and act tougher than I am in Fake Limbs.
I played bass in Burn Permits.
User avatar
ldopa_chicago
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:34 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Postby tallchris on Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:54 pm

My landlord posted our apartment in Logan Square (a couple blocks west of Kimball just off Fullerton).

Huge three-bedroom, top floor of a two-flat. Downstairs neighbors are awesome. Back yard patio for BBQs and chilling.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/5755290527.html
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
User avatar
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8447
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:50 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Postby givemenoughrope on Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:50 pm

Wow. Is this typical of Chicago apts? 3 bed for 1900 with a yard? i assume LS is a decent area.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
User avatar
givemenoughrope
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2359
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:41 pm
Location: los angeles, a happy place

Re: Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Postby jimmy two hands on Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:53 pm

givemenoughrope wrote:Wow. Is this typical of Chicago apts? 3 bed for 1900 with a yard? i assume LS is a decent area.


5 years ago you could get one for $1200 - $1400 in Logan. Ours was $1300 for a similar space + a garage spot, after we moved our landlord raised the rent by $500.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
User avatar
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 14317
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:20 pm
Location: Fortress Jimbotron

Re: Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Postby tallchris on Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:05 pm

jimmy two hands wrote:
givemenoughrope wrote:Wow. Is this typical of Chicago apts? 3 bed for 1900 with a yard? i assume LS is a decent area.


5 years ago you could get one for $1200 - $1400 in Logan. Ours was $1300 for a similar space + a garage spot, after we moved our landlord raised the rent by $500.


Our rent has been $1500 for the last 2.5 years. Not surprised it's going up.

I'll say, our apartment is has so much square footage that it made finding a house difficult since most places we looked at in Seattle had less finished square footage than what we've had.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
User avatar
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8447
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 7:50 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Postby sitwell on Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:08 pm

My brother's 1bd on Logan Blvd went from $995 to $1495 in one year. They were going to do some renovations, but it was mostly the hipster tax.
sitwell
denny dias
denny dias
 
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:10 am

Re: Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Postby Tommy on Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:54 pm

tallchris wrote:
jimmy two hands wrote:
givemenoughrope wrote:Wow. Is this typical of Chicago apts? 3 bed for 1900 with a yard? i assume LS is a decent area.


5 years ago you could get one for $1200 - $1400 in Logan. Ours was $1300 for a similar space + a garage spot, after we moved our landlord raised the rent by $500.


Our rent has been $1500 for the last 2.5 years. Not surprised it's going up.

I'll say, our apartment is has so much square footage that it made finding a house difficult since most places we looked at in Seattle had less finished square footage than what we've had.


Dude bought that in '98 for $200k. One unit's rent is very likely more than his mortgage. I think $250k was the magic cutoff number where property taxes went up drastically in Cook County this year. Wonder when it was last appraised/assessed...
User avatar
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
 
Posts: 5280
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Logan Square, Chicago, IL

Re: Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:39 pm

I have never paid more than 800 bucks a month for an apartment in chicago
User avatar
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 40816
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:21 am
Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Re: Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Postby El Protoolio on Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:53 pm

Marsupialized wrote:I have never paid more than 800 bucks a month for an apartment in chicago


I had one, the last one we had before I left on Marion Ct in Wicker Park off Division and Wood. It was $1150 I think, a 2 bed, AC, washer and dryer in unit and a yuge back yard.

Before that the most expensive place I had in 10 years of living in Wicker Park and Ukrainian VIllage was $775. All two beds.

1998-2000 - 2 bed coach house, 2nd floor, Thomas and Ashland, $600
2000-2001 - 2 bed greystone 1st floor, Hoyne and Schiller, $800
2001-2005 - 2 bed with deck in a 6 flat, 3 front 3 back, 3rd floor, Hermitage and Pearson, $750
2005-2007 - 2 bed + den, garden in 4 flat brownstone, Thomas and Oakley, $775 with garage
2007-2008 - 2 bed garden, Marion Ct and Division, $1150 with all the bells and whistles

That first two bed is probably going for $1600 nowadays.

My new place in Minneapolis is a 1 bed in a 20 flat brownstone for $900, all utilities included, heat, gas, electric, trash. All I pay for is internet and cable TV and a land line if I wanted them. Neighborhood is comparable to Lakeview or Wicker Park/Uk Village. I feel like I am paying what you'd pay for in Lakeview in 2002 for a 1 bed.
User avatar
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9137
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Your Mom

Re: Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Postby catwoman on Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:27 pm

The "heat included" or not can really impact the rents.

Also, our summers can be pretty hot and muggy, so if you need AC, count in that cost, too.
Utility costs are high.
Logan Square is stupid high rents right now, although if you've got cash to burn, you can always move into one of the new "Transit Oriented Development" apartment buildings, right off the L.
Insane prices, like studios for $1250 or whatever.
http://livemica.com/
There's a "Luxury" building, new, down the block, that's even higher priced than that...
http://logansquarel.com/
User avatar
catwoman
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:33 am
Location: Square of Logan within the City of Wind

Re: Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Postby jimmy two hands on Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:45 pm

catwoman wrote:Logan Square is stupid high rents right now, although if you've got cash to burn, you can always move into one of the new "Transit Oriented Development" apartment buildings, right off the L.
Insane prices, like studios for $1250 or whatever.
http://livemica.com/
There's a "Luxury" building, new, down the block, that's even higher priced than that...
http://logansquarel.com/


Blech. I hate those stupid pieces of shit. Glad to be out of Logan Square now - they built those fuckers with way less parking than what's adequate, with the idea that most people won't own cars and will only use the train. The fuckers renting those units are all gonna have some fucking luxury SUV that takes up 2 parking spots & they'll have to drive 3 block away to park it. Milwaukee avenue is barely recognizable.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
User avatar
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 14317
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:20 pm
Location: Fortress Jimbotron

Re: Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:45 pm

Those buildings are the most ridiculously out of place things I think I've ever seen in this city. I never go down there, didn't know anything about them till the BBQ, I turned the corner and said out loud 'what the fuck?'
Those people are going to pay an insane premium to live in LOGAN SQUARE? Why? Logan Square has literally 2 blocks with anything worthwhile, and 80% of that is nothing special. I absolutely do not understand what the selling points are, any direction past that corner and its same old same old Chicago whatever, jiffy lubes and Walgreens, KFC and CVS, a few blocks down and you are wandering into shitty Humboldt gangbanger bullshit. What's so exciting there?
User avatar
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 40816
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:21 am
Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Re: Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Postby 154 on Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:14 am

I stayed in an Airbnb in Portage Park a month ago. Nice, chilled out neighborhood with a fantastic park. 3 fuckin' Blue Line stops further out than the Logan Square piss subway and I absolutely guarantee you an apartment for under $1,000 can be had. Oh yeah, and stupidly easy residential parking. Wtf, Chicago.
User avatar
154
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7712
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:56 pm
Location: MKE

Re: Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Postby yard barf on Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:38 am

154 wrote:I stayed in an Airbnb in Portage Park a month ago. Nice, chilled out neighborhood with a fantastic park. 3 fuckin' Blue Line stops further out than the Logan Square piss subway and I absolutely guarantee you an apartment for under $1,000 can be had. Oh yeah, and stupidly easy residential parking. Wtf, Chicago.


Six years ago, me and the wife bought one of the brick bungalows that are everywhere in Portage Park for $160,000. Prices are still low on property here. Beautiful, quiet neighborhood, two miles up Milwaukee from Logan Square. Since then, I've had seven friends, all move from Logan Square (and one from Bucktown) to Portage Park, and buy their own homes. A few more have moved here and are renting.

I lived in a 4 bedroom grey stone in Logan Square, on Palmer, west of Kedzie from 1998 to 2010. We had a little, 2nd floor front porch, a back porch and a backyard. When we moved in, rent was $700. When we moved out, it was $1350, which is about what my mortgage payment is now.
User avatar
yard barf
tired of birds
tired of birds
 
Posts: 1122
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:46 pm
Location: beside the point

Re: Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Postby catwoman on Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:58 pm

jimmy two hands wrote:
catwoman wrote:Logan Square is stupid high rents right now, although if you've got cash to burn, you can always move into one of the new "Transit Oriented Development" apartment buildings, right off the L.
Insane prices, like studios for $1250 or whatever.
http://livemica.com/
There's a "Luxury" building, new, down the block, that's even higher priced than that...
http://logansquarel.com/


Blech. I hate those stupid pieces of shit. Glad to be out of Logan Square now - they built those fuckers with way less parking than what's adequate, with the idea that most people won't own cars and will only use the train. The fuckers renting those units are all gonna have some fucking luxury SUV that takes up 2 parking spots & they'll have to drive 3 block away to park it. Milwaukee avenue is barely recognizable.


That's what a bunch of us old-timers kept saying at the "community meetings" that the alderman and developers had, but we were shouted down by the cycling hipsters, telling us that we were wrong, parking is part of "car culture", which they oppose.

We also objected to the size and the ugliness of them, but were told that density is a good thing. There were also the affordability people, objecting to the gentrification and "pushing out" of long time residents.

I'm about ready to sell next year, although I think we may be in a real estate bubble that might burst after the elections. I bought here cheap in the late 1990's, but I only in the past year have begun to feel uncomfortable and unwelcome, especially at the "hipster" places.
User avatar
catwoman
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:33 am
Location: Square of Logan within the City of Wind

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests