home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Hey Tmidgett

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Hey Tmidgett

Postby jacobwilliam on Tue May 09, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi, Tim!

I think I've hit a low point in life in regards to my "career" or job. I've been making pizzas for probably a decade and am just burnt the fuck out. I'm mainly sick of the high stress, which I thrive off of, shit pay and working every single weekend. As much as I love working with food, I think I've just had enough.

The only route I see out of this is higher education. I didn't want to be entering back into school at age 30 but this is where I'm at. I've been talking about it for years but keep pushing it off. Probably due to self seeking fear. I literally have no idea what I'd go back for.
I keep thinking teaching because that seems like it wouldn't suck.

I guess what I'm getting at is, if you had zero clue on what to go back to school for, what would you do? Just go with your gut or whatever?
jacobwilliam
jasper johns
jasper johns

Postby MrMattDiehl on Tue May 09, 2017 9:07 pm

jacobwilliam wrote:Hi, Tim!

I think I've hit a low point in life in regards to my "career" or job. I've been making pizzas for probably a decade and am just burnt the fuck out. I'm mainly sick of the high stress, which I thrive off of, shit pay and working every single weekend. As much as I love working with food, I think I've just had enough.

The only route I see out of this is higher education. I didn't want to be entering back into school at age 30 but this is where I'm at. I've been talking about it for years but keep pushing it off. Probably due to self seeking fear. I literally have no idea what I'd go back for.

I guess what I'm getting at is, if you had zero clue on what to go back to school for, what would you do? Just go with your gut or whatever?

You didn't ask me, and surely Tim will have far more enduring wisdom, but I wouldn't worry about going back for something specific. Chicago has a lot of great education options, especially for working adults that are no longer trad undergraduate age + might need to go at their own pace to get the hang of things.

I would recommend trying to first work towards an associate's degree (to be referred to hereon after as "A.A.") if you're unsure about your academic ambitions. It's cheap, you can knock out most of your basic requirements for your B.A., you can test out various subjects/areas of study you might like/have skills to pursue, and if you keep your grades high, you can often choose the best place to finish your degree. Transfer may also be possible before completing the A.A., too. (Studying cooking by the way can make for a worthwhile degree, especially if you like working with food; I've known a lot of people who've used their food degrees to do cool shit and/or hook up something steady.)

This is actually what my nephew who lives in Chicago has done. In the ensuing decade between his graduation from high school and now, he's mostly worked full-time making (admittedly quite delicious) sandwiches in a fast-food establishment (although he has risen a bit in the management chain just from his dedication and natural smarts). He sometimes struggled with academics growing up, but he forced himself to complete an A.A. as an adult. In doing so, he's found out what he likes and is good (sculptural art, basically) and may pursue that further academically. I think he also got a slight raise for having an actual degree, too... Either way, he has a foundation to work from if he wants to keep pursuing his edumacation...

By the way, while I'm ridiculously overeducated in the traditional style, I don't think college is necessarily for everyone. Many of the absolute smartest, most successful people I've known (my huge Hollywood manager, my rock star pal who's 100x smarter and well-read than me, dudes that run massive companies, etc.) never went to college. However, I think it's a small percentage who have the drive to self-educate themselves and the full knowledge/command of their acumen a la these folks and, say, dropouts like Mark Zuckerberg or the dude who invented Tumblr or whatever. If I hadn't gone to college steadily and deliberately, on the other hand, I would've probably fucked off the whole time and been steadily unemployed by now.

Mainly, I think college is most useful for learning a bunch of shit you didn't before that you probably should know; getting socialized with people who have similar goals, but often different backgrounds, than yourself; and providing a haven to figure out what the hell you might want to do with your life. What ones studies is often irrelevant, unless you're going for a specific trade like engineering or something. I studied art history and got a M.F.A. in filmmaking, but work as a journalist. Go figure. You can also apply to law school, medical school, etc. regardless of your major, as long as you fulfill any basic requirements they might have (some advanced chemistry/bio for med school, etc.). So many people I know majored in political science because they thought it would help them in law school, even though they didn't particularly enjoy it. This is a falsehood.

My father always said I'd be more successful studying what I liked anyway, and he was correct. Also, I found studying languages and other cultures made it easier to travel in the world, etc. OH! Really important: advancing one's writing skills. If you can write somewhat well, it puts you above most other folks - even in whatever profession/career you end up in. Forcing myself to enhance my ability to write has provided not a Swiss army knife, but like a big-ass Rambo machete to hack through the jungle of life. (Okay, that was some rather ripe prose, but you get da drift...) As well, by reading your post, you seem to communicate via writing better than many of the pro journalists/editors I work with, with personality and humor, too, so why not cultivate that as best you can?

Lastly, YMMV, but I've found knocking out any progress towards a degree usually forces your life to progress more in the right direction, especially if you're in a rut like you say you might be. Just finishing a semester is an achievement, let alone a degree; the more achievements like that I notched on the bedpost, the easier it seemed to be to try and sometimes even succeed in stuff I might be good at. In other words, it's an expensive confidence builder, but one that doesn't really have any other equivalent. I mean, it never hurts to have more edumacation - unless you're Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, that is, who couldn't wait to finish school to shit out their life-changing inventions. But few of us have what those people seemed to have innately.

Anyways, once again a long-winded and unrequested response de moi. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, and will try to shut up if you don't. Happy to help.
MrMattDiehl
mike piazza
mike piazza

Postby tmidgett on Wed May 10, 2017 9:18 am

Madman Munt wrote:Just saw this and wanted to share it. Check out the steak frying technique!

Surely it is delicious

jacobwilliam wrote:I think I've hit a low point in life in regards to my "career" or job. I've been making pizzas for probably a decade and am just burnt the fuck out. I'm mainly sick of the high stress, which I thrive off of, shit pay and working every single weekend. As much as I love working with food, I think I've just had enough.

Happens. I would trust your feelings if they have persisted for a month or so. Life is short, so it's good to move on when you sense your ability to enjoy something has run its course.

I went back when I was about your age. It was great. I was sooooo much better at school. I was invested in my progress and I did not have the, uh, "social" distractions that I had as a young ding-dong.

In terms of what to study...I thought about going back for English because I can write and read good and it's a natural fit for me. But I realized what I really wanted was to augment myself, and the thing that stuck out to me was electrical engineering. I started from the ground floor, never having taken a math class past Honors Algebra II in high school.

I worked as an electrical engineer for four years only. Then I went into electronic trading. Now I own a company that does internet consulting. Engineering teaches you how to solve problems in a broad sense if you approach it that way as a student, and it's certainly been good for me to have studied it, on every front.

I would go with my gut or whatever.

I would probably go back for something having to do with neuroscience. That's what would capture my interest for several years academically.

Everything Matt said up there makes sense to me. When I went back, I started at community college, two blocks from my house. Way cheaper, credits transferred to Univ of WA, good teachers who just taught and weren't splitting time between dirty kids and their research. Lower pressure since there wasn't a bunch of money on the line for me.
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Adam Sr on Wed May 10, 2017 12:16 pm

The title is a corruption of 'Hate Midget,' a TV movie about Danzig that came out in the nineties, which was polling in C/NC. Then Tim came along and showed us his shelf of books and we all asked him questions about werewolves until the thread was eventually moved here and became an agony uncle thing.
Adam Sr
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby bumble on Sun May 28, 2017 10:37 am

Hi Tim Midyett, how's the beginning of summer?

Some advice would be appreciated.

An uninspiring but brown-nosing skinny white boy at work has been promoted above me...to do all the work I have been doing for the last year and a half.

I am experiencing the emotion of anger and the early onset of schadenfreude at his inevitable failure.

I'm just not sure how to play it. I'm mad, so I wanna be direct and speaking truth to power and murdery. But I know he'll crash and burn unless I continue doing his job for him. Which, you know, I'm no way no how going to do, no matter how much he's been sucking up to me. Bat those eyelashes, skinny white boy, I'm not helping you.

Any thoughts?

Please note that my "game face" is pretty much nonexistent. I can try to work on it, but right now my face is an open book. You know. Of rebelliousness and murder.
bumble
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby thelastrewind on Sun May 28, 2017 8:34 pm

Hi, Tim! I hope you are well. Just wanted to share a cool thing.

I started the whole online dating thing a few months ago, to no real success, went on a date or two. Made some changes to it, put more of what I liked out there, and got a message from a cute woman asking "are you real?! I LOVE Jason Molina." her profile said she loved Low and The New Year, so we got to talking.

She brought up that she loved Alex Chilton's cover of "Motel Blues", and so I brought up Silkworm's cover of it, saying "hey, this is one of my favourite bands covering this song, it's loud and slow but maybe you'll dig it."

She proceeded to send me an impassioned message saying how much she loved it, and thought the singing was incredibly sexy, and begged me for more recommendations. (I don't know, I always found that version of that song to be more desperate than sexy, but I'll take it.)

Anyway, based on that we are now going on a date tomorrow. Cheers!

A question, because this is not "Tell TMidgett" - what are some bands you've gotten into through covers of material already familiar to you?
Dovey wrote:Kat Dennings is like the SKWM of lady-crushes to me. Took ages to click, and then when it did, I fell hard

(not enough to watch 2 broke girls, tho)

Don't ever correct a dead man's spelling.
thelastrewind
hemingway
hemingway

Postby bumble on Mon May 29, 2017 10:59 am

bumble wrote:Hi Tim Midyett, how's the beginning of summer?

Some advice would be appreciated.<snip>

Hey-o, I monopolized the lovely Mrs. Chimp for quite some time last night, and she gave me some good advice. She recommended I ask my CIO why I wasn't considered for this gig and why. The idea is to keep it very fact-based and if -- when -- he asks me how I feel about SWB and my boss being total asshole douchebag fuckwits, to decline to have that conversation and keep it very focused.

This will have to wait because my boss is never around, and he won't be back until mid-June. Ugh. (Oh, he also has crappy people skills. And he knows dick all about what actually goes on in my team.)

Anyway, after I get his verbal response (the only way he'll have this conversation, fer shure), recap it in an email with notes on plans to make myself a more competitive candidate. Then smile like Wednesday Addams.

When SWB fails, there will then be a record of said items.

I *hate* working environments like this. So I might still set a couple of waste paper baskets on fire.

I should just sign all of my correspondence with "I was a very rebellious teenager".
bumble

Postby noise&light on Mon May 29, 2017 11:04 am

thelastrewind wrote:A question, because this is not "Tell TMidgett" - what are some bands you've gotten into through covers of material already familiar to you?

IANTM, but was just sharing this story with Ike yesterday.

In the early 90s when I was working in a record store in Hoboken, I remember seeing those Silkworm albums come through and I just did not get it. I didn't think it was bad. The band was clearly made up of good players. But so many songs sounded the same to me. In my defense, at the time I was listening to lots of Boredoms, Sun City Girls, free jazz, Jesus Lizard, so I think I just wanted music that felt like a punch to the face. Subtlety was totally lost on me.

However, as a child of the 70s, I still had a huge place in my heart for classic rock, particularly The Basement Tapes. So when Marquee Mark came out, it finally started making sense to me. "Oh! THIS is what they're doing!" As I told Ike, it was like coming in through the back door. Fortunately I found my way to the front. Yep. I was one of those folks that connected to the band late and then powerfully.

Damn, that version of Going to Acapulco still slays me.

phpBB [media]
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light

Postby tmidgett on Tue May 30, 2017 12:55 am

bumble wrote:I'm just not sure how to play it. I'm mad, so I wanna be direct and speaking truth to power and murdery. But I know he'll crash and burn unless I continue doing his job for him. Which, you know, I'm no way no how going to do, no matter how much he's been sucking up to me. Bat those eyelashes, skinny white boy, I'm not helping you.

Any thoughts?

I could say stuff but all this is more detailed than I would manage and great advice:

bumble wrote:She recommended I ask my CIO why I wasn't considered for this gig and why. The idea is to keep it very fact-based and if -- when -- he asks me how I feel about SWB and my boss being total asshole douchebag fuckwits, to decline to have that conversation and keep it very focused.

[...]

Anyway, after I get his verbal response (the only way he'll have this conversation, fer shure), recap it in an email with notes on plans to make myself a more competitive candidate. Then smile like Wednesday Addams.

I'm not surprised she had such a complete and nuanced take on it. This shit happens to dudes, it's happened to me, but obviously it happens more to women. And it never happened to me BECAUSE I am a guy.

When it did happen to me, I just kept my head down and worked. Things sorted themselves out in the end. I was in a position to have the job a few months later, and by that point I didn't want it--ha!

If you think you might have greener pastures to explore, I would recommend doing so. Even if you don't go anywhere, the experience of sniffing out other jobs is a good one. I've done it many times and not left the jobs I had at the time. I found it calming to find either a) I had other options and/or b) I didn't actually want to quit doing what I was doing that much.

thelastrewind wrote:She proceeded to send me an impassioned message saying how much she loved it, and thought the singing was incredibly sexy, and begged me for more recommendations.

Oh man she must be nuts. Proceed with caution...

Very flattering. pls tell her thanks for me if it's ever at all appropriate to do so

A question, because this is not "Tell TMidgett" - what are some bands you've gotten into through covers of material already familiar to you?

I do remember this one Patti Smith bootleg that had a cover of We're Gonna Have a Real Good Time Together on it. She had always seemed a bit forbidding to me based on those first four studio albums, and hearing her do that tune opened a window on what seemed like a good-hearted, welcoming side to her. It guided my view of her work from that point forward. I already liked her at that point, but it made her seem more approachable as a person.

noise&light wrote:Damn, that version of Going to Acapulco still slays me.

I listened to this record for the first time in a long time the other day. I really liked it. The Byrds tune is a little rough--trying to harmonize vocals with Stephen was like wrestling a wet cat. But a lot of it really does tickle me.
tmidgett

Postby MrMattDiehl on Tue May 30, 2017 10:53 pm

tmidgett wrote:
bumble wrote:I'm just not sure how to play it. I'm mad, so I wanna be direct and speaking truth to power and murdery. But I know he'll crash and burn unless I continue doing his job for him. Which, you know, I'm no way no how going to do, no matter how much he's been sucking up to me. Bat those eyelashes, skinny white boy, I'm not helping you.

Any thoughts?

I could say stuff but all this is more detailed than I would manage and great advice:

bumble wrote:She recommended I ask my CIO why I wasn't considered for this gig and why. The idea is to keep it very fact-based and if -- when -- he asks me how I feel about SWB and my boss being total asshole douchebag fuckwits, to decline to have that conversation and keep it very focused.

[...]

I'm not surprised she had such a complete and nuanced take on it. This shit happens to dudes, it's happened to me, but obviously it happens more to women. And it never happened to me BECAUSE I am a guy.

When it did happen to me, I just kept my head down and worked. Things sorted themselves out in the end. I was in a position to have the job a few months later, and by that point I didn't want it--ha!

If you think you might have greener pastures to explore, I would recommend doing so. Even if you don't go anywhere, the experience of sniffing out other jobs is a good one. I've done it many times and not left the jobs I had at the time. I found it calming to find either a) I had other options and/or b) I didn't actually want to quit doing what I was doing that much.

thelastrewind wrote:She proceeded to send me an impassioned message saying how much she loved it, and thought the singing was incredibly sexy, and begged me for more recommendations.

Oh man she must be nuts. Proceed with caution...

Very flattering. pls tell her thanks for me if it's ever at all appropriate to do so

I do remember this one Patti Smith bootleg that had a cover of We're Gonna Have a Real Good Time Together on it. She had always seemed a bit forbidding to me based on those first four studio albums, and hearing her do that tune opened a window on what seemed like a good-hearted, welcoming side to her. It guided my view of her work from that point forward. I already liked her at that point, but it made her seem more approachable as a person.

noise&light wrote:Damn, that version of Going to Acapulco still slays me.

I listened to this record for the first time in a long time the other day. I really liked it. The Byrds tune is a little rough--trying to harmonize vocals with Stephen was like wrestling a wet cat. But a lot of it really does tickle me.

I once saw this rare amazing documentary I think called "Robert Mapplethorpe Gets His Nipple Pierced" where the visuals reflected the title, but the soundtrack was Patti Smith telling stories of her youth like the kid from "Days of Heaven." She told this hilarious story where she got knocked up & was terrified to tell her parents. When she went to the dinner table to confess to her folks, her brother was sitting there in a dress, wig, & whorish makeup. Her brother looked at her & said, "I want to be a woman!" & Patti responded "I'm pregnant!" & they both started laughing their ass off... Her memoir has a lot of humor, too. "Land" has some crazy funny shit, too. I vaguely remember her doing a kind of stand-up bit live...
MrMattDiehl
mike piazza
mike piazza

Postby Mama Clortho on Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:32 am

Hi Tim! I was just looking at an old Robert Wyatt thread and saw this:

tmidgett wrote:So I am listening to some Robert Wyatt on the web.

I'm gonna like all these records? Right? Have to go buy them all, save the one I have?

That's kind of what it sounds like.

Was just wondering if you ever got those records and what you thought of them. Do you like the Chic cover?

Thanks!
Mama Clortho
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby tmidgett on Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:47 pm

MrMattDiehl wrote:Her memoir has a lot of humor, too.

Both of her books, Just Kids and M Train, are wonderful.

Very very different. Just Kids pretty straightforward rumination on youth and mortality and what it means to be an artist. M Train elliptical, dreamy, very sad take on growing up and middle age and trying to find patterns and rhythm and meaning in the chaos of the universe as it presents its ugly, lovely self to you. I very highly recommend both of 'em fwiw

Mama Clortho wrote:Hi Tim! I was just looking at an old Robert Wyatt thread and saw this:

tmidgett wrote:So I am listening to some Robert Wyatt on the web.

I'm gonna like all these records? Right? Have to go buy them all, save the one I have?

That's kind of what it sounds like.

Was just wondering if you ever got those records and what you thought of them. Do you like the Chic cover?

Thanks!

Yeah. They're great.

The Chic cover is what you'd want someone to do to a tune if you wrote it and they covered it. Break it down to its emotional and musical core and build something new off it.

Some music I'm totally comfortable comparing it to other stuff and breaking it down and all that, but other things feel like they are cheapened if they get lumped in w/anything else. Like they deserve their own spot. I feel that way about his records. They're unique and beautiful and talking about them is hard, so I want them to live next to each other in the Ws in my record collection, all on their own
tmidgett

Postby NewDarkAge on Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:43 am

Tim, the new record by Andrew Cohen and Light Coma, is so beautiful, yes?

I like to think the verse beginning 'I fell in love with an ice pick' in 'Your Biography' is about the same "kinda batshit" gf discussed in 'The Devil is Beating His Wife'. But I will not ask Andy this!

I am strongly considering spending a week in Chicago in July before I head to WA to play in The Bismarck. Would you be around and up for some BBQ or such?
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.
NewDarkAge
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby tmidgett on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:22 pm

NewDarkAge wrote:Tim, the new record by Andrew Cohen and Light Coma, is so beautiful, yes?

I have only heard it once. It's great to hear him playing more lead--for whatever reason it happened less in the Pit than it did in SKWM. I can't really get enough of that.

I am strongly considering spending a week in Chicago in July before I head to WA to play in The Bismarck. Would you be around and up for some BBQ or such?

Sure! If I'm here. Which I probably will be, if you're here a whole week.
tmidgett

Postby MrMattDiehl on Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:40 pm

I'm ready for the Andy Cohen lead lines solo'd on YouTube moment. Can't wait. On loop, it will be...

So Tim. We've never discussed Thin Lizzy. So, in a sort of one-man C/NC... Whaddya think?

Full disclosure: I am a fan. I think some of the songs are fucking stellar, almost visionary & the "interplay" between the band has this distinct, organic pocket & storytelling narrative style that is only them. I also associate this quality with The Band, Crazy Horse, Silkworm...

So enough about me. Thin Lizzy?
MrMattDiehl
mike piazza
mike piazza

Postby gmilner on Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:09 pm

noise&light wrote:
thelastrewind wrote:A question, because this is not "Tell TMidgett" - what are some bands you've gotten into through covers of material already familiar to you?

IANTM, but was just sharing this story with Ike yesterday.

In the early 90s when I was working in a record store in Hoboken, I remember seeing those Silkworm albums come through and I just did not get it. I didn't think it was bad. The band was clearly made up of good players. But so many songs sounded the same to me. In my defense, at the time I was listening to lots of Boredoms, Sun City Girls, free jazz, Jesus Lizard, so I think I just wanted music that felt like a punch to the face. Subtlety was totally lost on me.

However, as a child of the 70s, I still had a huge place in my heart for classic rock, particularly The Basement Tapes. So when Marquee Mark came out, it finally started making sense to me. "Oh! THIS is what they're doing!" As I told Ike, it was like coming in through the back door. Fortunately I found my way to the front. Yep. I was one of those folks that connected to the band late and then powerfully.

Damn, that version of Going to Acapulco still slays me.

Marquee Mark is such a great artifact--and I use that word on purpose, since it feels like something ancient and unearthed. I love both bands from which the members are drawn, but this is really sui generis. A few years ago at a yoga studio down the street from me, they had a little "free CDs" box--like, maybe a couple dozen, and this was one of them. Nobody who taught there had any idea where it came from. I hope it eventually found a home.
gmilner
lt. sharon 'boomer' valerii
lt. sharon 'boomer' valerii

Postby tmidgett on Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:00 pm

MrMattDiehl wrote:So Tim. We've never discussed Thin Lizzy. So, in a sort of one-man C/NC... Whaddya think?

Full disclosure: I am a fan. I think some of the songs are fucking stellar, almost visionary & the "interplay" between the band has this distinct, organic pocket & storytelling narrative style that is only them. I also associate this quality with The Band, Crazy Horse, Silkworm...

So enough about me. Thin Lizzy?

Oh, not crap, easy. We had designs on playing Cowboy Song in Silkworm but never got around to it, publicly. It was Heather's idea to do that.

I think we tried to play it and maybe it wasn't so hot.

Hard to wing it with their stuff, at least that's my experience. Andy and I played with Mac McNeilly a few times, and we jammed on Whiskey in the Jar. It wasn't one of our most inspiring jams. You have to play it pretty much the way they played it or it sounds kinda dumb.

It's funny to me how much like a Southern rock band they were. Super tightly formatted arrangements, double leads, etc.

He had a real way with words when he was focused, and the best riffs and spiraling leads and the sound on the best records--all that is really great. it's pretty sad what happened to that band, but that's bands for ya.

gmilner wrote:A few years ago at a yoga studio down the street from me, they had a little "free CDs" box--like, maybe a couple dozen, and this was one of them. Nobody who taught there had any idea where it came from. I hope it eventually found a home.

Haha! hope so

it should probably get onto vinyl at some point. have to master it off the cassette, though, no cheating off the CD
tmidgett

Postby yard barf on Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:06 pm

MrMattDiehl wrote: Thin Lizzy?

tmidgett wrote:It's funny to me how much like a Southern rock band they were. Super tightly formatted arrangements, double leads, etc.

I'm a huge Thin Lizzy fan and somehow I never thought of it like that! Jesus, weird things just clicked into place.
yard barf
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby numberthirty on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:41 pm

yard barf wrote:I'm a huge Thin Lizzy fan and somehow I never thought of it like that! Jesus, weird things just clicked into place.

Man, it was totally there.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

You could put those on a Marshall Tucker band record, and no one would even know.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Redline on Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:45 am

numberthirty wrote:
You could put those on a Marshall Tucker band record, and no one would even know.

That's true. Thin Lizzy were mainly influenced by Wishbone Ash, but you know they had Allmans Brothers lps, too.

Hey Tim-

What's the sound at the beginning of Wound from the In Season and Ripe record? A keyboard? What the heck...?
Redline

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion