home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Hey Tmidgett

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Hey Tmidgett

Postby Get dog costumes on Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:09 pm

Hey Tim,

Can you sing "Dream On" by Aeromsith?

Don't think you'd be interested, but it's hypothetical anyway.

Sincerely,
Listening to the first Aerosmith album and it's just fine; Steven Tyler was a good rock singer in his pre-yabba dabba doo era
Marsupialized wrote:I sense you have not spent much time in the tar pits, my friend.
Get dog costumes
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby sulfur)addict on Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:25 am

tmidgett wrote:
MrMattDiehl wrote:So Tim. We've never discussed Thin Lizzy. So, in a sort of one-man C/NC... Whaddya think?

Full disclosure: I am a fan. I think some of the songs are fucking stellar, almost visionary & the "interplay" between the band has this distinct, organic pocket & storytelling narrative style that is only them. I also associate this quality with The Band, Crazy Horse, Silkworm...

So enough about me. Thin Lizzy?

It's funny to me how much like a Southern rock band they were. Super tightly formatted arrangements, double leads, etc.

He had a real way with words when he was focused, and the best riffs and spiraling leads and the sound on the best records--all that is really great. it's pretty sad what happened to that band, but that's bands for ya.

Phil's lyrics and the unending good humor behind them are only getting better with age. Seriously, how do you tell your ex off for cheating while also opining that you miss her without sounding too much like an asshole or too much like a simp? "Silver Dollar," that's how, and that he pulls it off with that "I know where I wanna plant my seed" line glaring at you - man, top notch.

All of these songs of heartbreak and prostitutes and gambling and murder, but without ever falling prey to dwell on the negativity. There's nothing sanctimonious or judgmental in his storytelling, if anything there's a genuine love for humanity and the beauty behind how much we fuck up - I can only think of Flipper who managed to tread that line as well. Maybe one Andy Cohen, too. But Thin Lizzy did so in such an obviously Big Rock Band way that it seems even more triumphant.

As for all the farm songs, Ireland is covered in farms. Maybe Southern rock wasn't such a stretch for them to fit into . . .

Get dog costumes wrote:Sincerely,
Listening to the first Aerosmith album and it's just fine; Steven Tyler was a good rock singer in his pre-yabba dabba doo era

I used to be a "first six" Aerosmith guy, but I just had to check because there's no way Night in the Ruts is a good album, right? Like, no way?

I'm already on "Three Mile Smile" as of typing this and it's definitely staring dead ahead to glam metal, but there's something so pure and lobotomized and fun in 70's smack rock with big dumb vocals and spiffy slide guitars. It has to rock, and these guys have to be in a rock band, or else they'd be dead. Like Joe Perry could hack it in a 9-5? It's a shame this would be the last time there was any serious backbeat behind all of those leads and the cheeky wordplay, but honestly not too much of a shame.

And then "Reefer Headed Woman" starts and you can't help but be thankful Da Blooze is out of the popular music form.

Hey Tim, any horror movies ever scare the bejesus outta you as a kid? The Exorcist just about did me in at 11, now it's a rainy day favorite. I wish I could be that genuinely terrified of something still, but credit card debt is more monotonous than captivating.

Sincerely,
Way Too Hot In This Damn House To Sleep, Thank God I Don't Have To Work Tomorrow
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Maurice on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Tim! So great to see you in MKE and have a chance to chat for a few minutes. The Mint Mile set was absolutely levitational--damned fine work from everyone, and I'm looking forward to hearing more.
music every week | here, too | and here | snwv | other stuff

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I ask you: What the fuck?
Maurice
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby tmidgett on Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:18 pm

Redline wrote:numberthirty wrote:
You could put those on a Marshall Tucker band record, and no one would even know.

That's true. Thin Lizzy were mainly influenced by Wishbone Ash, but you know they had Allmans Brothers lps, too.

It's not just the twin guitars, either. The rhythm section has that same taut quality that Skynyrd or even the Muscle Shoals house band had.

What's the sound at the beginning of Wound from the In Season and Ripe record? A keyboard? What the heck...?

Mishmash of slide and keyb and acoustic guitar. It's a carryover from the end of Modern Day on side 1.

They were tracked right after each other on the same Reaper session, and when we did overdubs, we ended up filling in the gap between the two of them. When they ended up on diff sides, we did the locked groove on side 1 for M Day and just started Wound with the stuff.

Get dog costumes wrote:Can you sing "Dream On" by Aeromsith?

Don't think you'd be interested, but it's hypothetical anyway.

Sincerely,

Oh I'm sure I can't sing that. Not the high bit, no way.

He was good early. Get Your Wings is my favorite of their records overall. But I guess Tyler probably hit his stride as a singer about Toys in the Attic/Rocks, before the drugs degraded them. Then yeah the comeback was whatever but they were good for a while.

sulfur)addict wrote:Hey Tim, any horror movies ever scare the bejesus outta you as a kid? The Exorcist just about did me in at 11, now it's a rainy day favorite. I wish I could be that genuinely terrified of something still, but credit card debt is more monotonous than captivating.

TV version of Dracula in the early 70s. I was maybe 5. I still remember seeing the promo on TV--we didn't even watch it. It's one of my earliest memories. Terrified. Ha ha!

I was probably 11 when I saw Alien. I don't recall being terrified, but it made a big impact on me.

Maurice wrote:Tim! So great to see you in MKE and have a chance to chat for a few minutes. The Mint Mile set was absolutely levitational--damned fine work from everyone, and I'm looking forward to hearing more.

Right on! I wish I could have stayed around longer
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby numberthirty on Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:55 pm

tmidgett wrote:
Redline wrote:numberthirty wrote:
You could put those on a Marshall Tucker band record, and no one would even know.

That's true. Thin Lizzy were mainly influenced by Wishbone Ash, but you know they had Allmans Brothers lps, too.

It's not just the twin guitars, either. The rhythm section has that same taut quality that Skynyrd or even the Muscle Shoals house band had.

Agreed. While the exact sort of "Swing" is a bit different, "Down South Jukin'" is not miles away from the rhythm section in Thin Lizzy tunes. Same with "Tuesday's Gone", but I believe the drummer from Atlanta Rhythm Section is playing drums on "Tuesday's Gone."
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby numberthirty on Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:58 pm

sulfur)addict wrote:As for all the farm songs, Ireland is covered in farms. Maybe Southern rock wasn't such a stretch for them to fit into . . .

Certainly.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby NewDarkAge on Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:47 pm

Tim! Hope the BBQ was as swell as I am sure it was.

Bit of a follow on from my last question I suppose. I was just talking to another Tim, the one from Scotland, about how nice it is that you and Andy now have bands behind you that are able to back up the things that you want to do post-BP so well and so appropriately. I came up with the fantasy idea of a Mint Mile/ACLC double bill tour of the UK/EU. Maybe wishful thinking! But I was wondering if you see yourself ever coming back to Europe to play music at any point in the future?

ETA: have another, less cheerful query. A very good friend of mine seems to be getting too far into the coke thing. I've told her how much I think it sucks and how it's a drug for bankers and wankers and have you heard the fucking Eagles, but none of it seems to be getting through. I know the 'how to deal with a friend's addiction' is a perennial question that nobody really knows the answer to, but I thought since you are a man with a smart word to say on most subjects, you might have an idea. Much as I like those Neil Young records, I don't want to end up having to write beautiful elegies for my friends.
Last edited by NewDarkAge on Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.
NewDarkAge

Postby Redline on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:02 pm

locked groove on side 1

That was a nice surprise. We need more locked grooves.
Redline

Postby MrMattDiehl on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:42 pm

One of the two guitarists in Thin Lizzy during the good years was American, perhaps from Florida? I think it was just in the water, that Southern rock thing... I think the storytelling comes from Irish folk & talking in Irish pubs... No one really mentions it, but I would say Phil Lynott is about the least-annoying Van Morrison-influenced singer of all time. He takes that Van thing & makes it bearable.

I tried to play "Boys Are Back In Town" with a band once, and it was... A disaster. Nobody could hang. I was pretty tight on the guitar part, but... Man. Thin Lizzy's stuff was so intuitive in terms of chording, arrangement... It sounds awesome & loose but then you try to play it & goddamn it's eccentric! It is hard as fuck to play. Lynott's vocal syncopations/breath control ain't easy to pull off either. Deceptively challenging. Very much that band was THAT BAND. I love that about them.

On a side note, my friend Moby (yes, that Moby, say what you will, he is one of the most kind, awesome human beings I've ever met + also was briefly in Flipper; either way, very close friend) told me that he had to learn a bunch of Bad Brains songs for a tribute thing. He thought it would be easy punk rock, but he said it was literally the hardest music he's ever had to learn. He's a trained classical music dude, & he said Rachmaninoff was a piece of cake next to Bad Brains' repertoire...
MrMattDiehl
mike piazza
mike piazza

Postby mrcancelled on Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:43 pm

Just outta' curiosity, what kind of coffee do you use in your delicious rub?
mrcancelled
walter cronkite
walter cronkite

Postby tmidgett on Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:27 pm

NewDarkAge wrote:Tim! Hope the BBQ was as swell as I am sure it was.

Wasn't there for long but I did enjoy it

Bit of a follow on from my last question I suppose. I was just talking to another Tim, the one from Scotland, about how nice it is that you and Andy now have bands behind you that are able to back up the things that you want to do post-BP so well and so appropriately. I came up with the fantasy idea of a Mint Mile/ACLC double bill tour of the UK/EU. Maybe wishful thinking! But I was wondering if you see yourself ever coming back to Europe to play music at any point in the future?

Would love to do it. The band is real solid now and we could make a good run of shows out of it. I dunno, it'd have to pay for itself, though, which seems sorta doubtful. But perhaps something will fall into our laps...

ETA: have another, less cheerful query. A very good friend of mine seems to be getting too far into the coke thing. I've told her how much I think it sucks and how it's a drug for bankers and wankers and have you heard the fucking Eagles, but none of it seems to be getting through. I know the 'how to deal with a friend's addiction' is a perennial question that nobody really knows the answer to, but I thought since you are a man with a smart word to say on most subjects, you might have an idea. Much as I like those Neil Young records, I don't want to end up having to write beautiful elegies for my friends.

Yeah. That sucks. There's not much you can do, is the unfortunate truth. People have to work it out on their own usually.

There's a line where you don't stop being someone's friend but you do stop having anything to do with them if they're using. It's not the same as disowning them or whatever. it's more like acknowledging that their substance abuse has taken over their personage and you're not going to engage with this new entity.

It's very hard to do, but if it's bad enough, you kinda have to do it for your own sake as well as theirs. I don't believe it helps people (or you) to try to cajole or entice or shame them into quitting. I think you can disengage and be real clear about why you're doing it, and then it's up to them.

No idea if your pal is at that point. I really hope not. Sometimes people are short of addiction but still dabbling in something enough to be really irritating about it. Certainly cocaine use gets irritating in a hurry imho

mrcancelled wrote:Just outta' curiosity, what kind of coffee do you use in your delicious rub?

Oh golly, i honestly don't recall. They told me what they used at one point. It's an espresso roast...I can/should find out.
tmidgett

Postby NewDarkAge on Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:10 pm

tmidgett wrote:Yeah. That sucks. There's not much you can do, is the unfortunate truth. People have to work it out on their own usually.

There's a line where you don't stop being someone's friend but you do stop having anything to do with them if they're using. It's not the same as disowning them or whatever. it's more like acknowledging that their substance abuse has taken over their personage and you're not going to engage with this new entity.

It's very hard to do, but if it's bad enough, you kinda have to do it for your own sake as well as theirs. I don't believe it helps people (or you) to try to cajole or entice or shame them into quitting. I think you can disengage and be real clear about why you're doing it, and then it's up to them.

No idea if your pal is at that point. I really hope not. Sometimes people are short of addiction but still dabbling in something enough to be really irritating about it. Certainly cocaine use gets irritating in a hurry imho

Just an update on this. She's come back from being away for a week and has become very defensive about the habit. Not even that I brought it up really. She's calling me judgemental, making excuses about how she's had a bad time recently, saying I'm hypocritical because of [insert transgression], etc. The usual, I suppose. I think you're totally right that you can't really get another person to quit, directly. She actually said, the more people tell her they think she should stop, the more she wants to do it.

So I think it might have to come to the disengagement. Which is hard right now because we live together. Also hard because she is one of my closest friends. Shitty situation.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.
NewDarkAge

Postby tmidgett on Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:05 pm

NewDarkAge wrote:So I think it might have to come to the disengagement. Which is hard right now because we live together. Also hard because she is one of my closest friends. Shitty situation.

Yeah that really sucks.

Addiction is like a parasite, just takes people over. I don't know if your friend is addicted, but you know, it sounds bad.

Whether she is or isn't, you don't have to live with it. It's hard to cut people off because it feels like you're giving up on them. But they can always come back to you, if they want to engage with you without being f'd up.

You're just giving up on dealing with their habit. And with addicts, habit always wins if they don't stop.

Anyway. Good luck, and sorry you have to go through it. I know real well how bad it is.
tmidgett

Postby andyman on Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:49 pm

Hi Tim,

How you doin'?

I have a question about baritone pickup placement, since you seem to know a lot about the things. I have a silverfoil I was thinking of putting in my DIY baritone (I didn't build it), which currently has cool, cheap P90s in the bridge position and halfway between the bridge and neck. The latter sounds beefy as hell and awesome. I was thinking of swapping it into the bridge position, but the cavity is way too deep for it and I'm not too sure about messing around with glue, blocks, etc.
So, since there's a lot of space on the pickguard in front of the neck it seems like it'd be pretty easy to mount it there, on the pickguard (albeit quite close to the strings); I'm wary of how these instruments get muddy pretty quickly with too much signal.
The other option seems be squeezing it in between the other two (about 2/5 up from the bridge), but I'm not sure how redundant that'd be, soundwise.
Any thoughts?

- Andrew
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby tmidgett on Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:39 pm

andyman wrote:How you doin'?

Well! Thanks!

I have a question about baritone pickup placement, since you seem to know a lot about the things.

I do!

I have a silverfoil I was thinking of putting in my DIY baritone (I didn't build it), which currently has cool, cheap P90s in the bridge position and halfway between the bridge and neck. The latter sounds beefy as hell and awesome. I was thinking of swapping it into the bridge position, but the cavity is way too deep for it and I'm not too sure about messing around with glue, blocks, etc.
So, since there's a lot of space on the pickguard in front of the neck it seems like it'd be pretty easy to mount it there, on the pickguard (albeit quite close to the strings); I'm wary of how these instruments get muddy pretty quickly with too much signal.
The other option seems be squeezing it in between the other two (about 2/5 up from the bridge), but I'm not sure how redundant that'd be, soundwise.
Any thoughts?

I try not to experiment too much once I get "the sound" somehow. And I like minimal options once I get there.

So, to me, if I love the neck PU, i'd leave it up there on its own.

if you don't love the bridge, i'd try swapping it out. easy enough to shim it up. I'd rather do that then have a PU maybe "too" close to the strings.

Though....silverfoil may be kinda brittle sounding in the bridge. I sorta though about goldfoils for a bari but the more I thought about it I didn't even love them on guitar so why.

you can try it, anyway. same thing w/the other positions--maybe it's a magic pickup and you'll want to swap it out. but I bet you'll be able to tell if you stick in the bridge position. that's what i'd do.

fwiw, I use P90 style on Electricals and my hollowbody 12 string has Super'Trons, which I really like
tmidgett

Postby Hosoi on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:45 am

Hey, tmidgett.

This has been bothering me, and I wonder what you think.

We played a show, and after we played, someone asked me if I was playing bass. (I wasn't.)

I think this is a weird thing to ask someone when you just saw and heard them. I guess I can play bass, but I haven't in twenty or so years, and that wasn't the question. The question was did I just play bass?

Pretty sure the person who asked me is not stupid, although not a music expert. I could think of it as a silly mistake, but this has happened more than once. People will see the band and then after—not even before but AFTER—say with confidence something about my playing bass, which I certainly was not doing.

I think this is a symptom of the depths of the dicks pile driving into society, like it doesn't matter what you actually did, it's what people thought you did since that's what you're expected to do.

Like I said, it could be a silly thing I shouldn't think about for more than five seconds, but instead this will bother me for the next twenty years minimum. Maybe you have a different point of view that would make sense?

I think there is no hope there, so I am wondering if you can tell me the status of my dreams coming true (In the West reissue)?

Thanks, tmidgett.
Hosoi
dag hammarskjöld
dag hammarskjöld

Postby elmofreech on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:28 pm

I miss this thread!

TM, any news on the In The West remaster/reissue?
Dee Wig wrote:You'd have to be straight-up out of your goddamned mind to think Robocop was crap.
elmofreech
robert motherwell
robert motherwell

Postby tmidgett on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:24 pm

hi everyone,

Hosoi wrote:I think this is a symptom of the depths of the dicks pile driving into society, like it doesn't matter what you actually did, it's what people thought you did since that's what you're expected to do.

Like I said, it could be a silly thing I shouldn't think about for more than five seconds, but instead this will bother me for the next twenty years minimum. Maybe you have a different point of view that would make sense?

First I would like to acknowledge as a dude I don't have to deal with too much systemic, mainstream dismissal of what I do.

So I know that, and I guess I'm grateful i don't have to live through it. More like I feel lucky and ashamed at the same time.

Been sorta dismissed or underestimated or whatever a fair amount, I suppose. Grinding away on music hardly anyone liked for years before that, as a kid in a town that barely had cable TV. Eating shit for years in Seattle, in a great band that hardly anyone cared about, that kind of thing. Etc.

Not giving a fuck is really the best revenge.

I don't say that lightly and I know the reality of getting there and the implications of being there are fewer and less remarkable for me (dude) than they are for non-dudes.

So I will offer this anecdote about Kim Deal. Someone who is friendly and approachable but has had to deal with what you're talking about (and doesn't play a lot of bass anymore either).

When confronted with men trying to explain to her what she does or who she is or where she is or what it all means, she has a habit of listening patiently, nodding, smiling, and saying "SUUUURE!" or "uh HUH" or "riiiiiiight" in a friendly tone that is almost overly chirpy.

If you heard her do it once, you would probably think she was being nice.

I think that's really great. I don't know this, but I imagine it being almost a mnemonic device--"I've been here before, here I am again, can't be bothered, going to wade through it and get away when possible."

Anyway, sorry to hear it and people are idiots

I am wondering if you can tell me the status of my dreams coming true (In the West reissue)?

It's all done but the record cutting and manufacture. Jon S at Comedy Minus One has been busy putting out records by existing bands, so it's a couple records back. I think there may be a small repress of Libertine when it happens, as well...maybe.

elmofreech wrote:I miss this thread!

TM, any news on the In The West remaster/reissue?

See above!!!!
tmidgett

Postby Madman Munt on Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:16 pm

Hey Tmidgett!

Remember your legendary Non-latching push-button footswitch thread?

I could never figure out what your delay-device actually did, in a musical sense. Could you shed some light on the subject? Did you ever use it on a recording I could listen to?
Madman Munt
"nick the greek" dandolos
"nick the greek" dandolos

Postby tmidgett on Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:29 pm

Madman Munt wrote:Hey Tmidgett!

Remember your legendary Non-latching push-button footswitch thread?

I could never figure out what your delay-device actually did, in a musical sense. Could you shed some light on the subject? Did you ever use it on a recording I could listen to?

It's all over all the Bottomless Pit records. It's on some of the first Mint Mile EP and much of the 2nd one.

It's just a delay that is only on when you have your foot on the pedal/footswitch. When you remove your foot, the delays shuts off and resets.

Two of those. One is short and other is like twice as long or whatever.

It ends up being either like the delay bursts on dub records (if you get the attack of the notes) or sorta like a sustain pedal on a keyb (if you avoid the attack and bring the delay in after it, when the note is being held)

It's different than a freeze pedal b/c it doesn't just hold whatever you play--it's a delay, so if you wobble the note, it'll wobble again a little bit afterwards, at which point maybe you're wobbling another way and the whole thing is extra wobbly.

When you add in the delay sound, also, it gets louder, so it's sorta like a boost. And the aggregate sound pushes the amp harder so it can be sorta like an overdrive as well.

Sometimes I use just one, sometimes the other, sometimes both. Depends on what's going on

It's a good trick, I think. Bails me out a lot!
tmidgett

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion