home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Insight into a Really Nice Mattress purchase

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Postby Ty Webb on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:26 pm

burun wrote:
I have also heard from several people that those memory foam mattresses (some of them) cause them to sweat more at night thn they used to, which is the main reason I dismissed them out of hand when buying a bed.

It's true. We got a memory foam topper for our regular mattress. I'm already like sleeping beside a pottery kiln. On that thing, I probably glow in the dark.

But I don't get cold in winter, that's for sure. And I sleep 6 inches from a drafty window.
Clueless in Chicago wrote:I'm going to stop following this thread. A bunch of D&D geeks in a basement somewhere in Oklahomma with their nuts tied around their thighs...
Ty Webb
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Re: Insight into a Really Nice Mattress purchase

Postby madlee on Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:18 pm

Looking to get a new bed.

I got a nice bed from Sleepy's about 5 years ago. It has begun to sag badly. It has a 10 year non-prorated warranty, so I'm currently trying to get a fair refund from Sleepy's. For those of you on the east coast, stay away from Sleepy's at all costs. Google the words sleepy's and complaint and you'll see why.

Anyway, I went in to Sleepy's do some recon and they had some tempur-pedic beds. I know some of you have one, and I have some questions.

1. has it begun to sag or soften at all?
2. in the winter, is the foam hard?
3. do you end up sleeping in only one position?
4. Is it comfortable sleeping on your back and on your side?
5. Is spooning easier? i.e. does your arm fall asleep under your significant other?
madlee
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby cerebralheadtrip on Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:48 pm

I just bought a mattress this weekend from these guys. For those in the Chicago-land area, I cant recommend them highly enough. All their mattresses are hand made in the shop, and considering that the prices are fantastic. If theres a certain stock model you like but want adjustments (more/less firm, extra padding, etc) they can make it to order. Everything is more or less customizable. Turn-around times are under a week, and delivery is free. No salesman bullshit either.
cerebralheadtrip
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby motorbike guy on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:21 am

madlee wrote:Looking to get a new bed.

I got a nice bed from Sleepy's about 5 years ago. It has begun to sag badly. It has a 10 year non-prorated warranty, so I'm currently trying to get a fair refund from Sleepy's. For those of you on the east coast, stay away from Sleepy's at all costs. Google the words sleepy's and complaint and you'll see why.

Anyway, I went in to Sleepy's do some recon and they had some tempur-pedic beds. I know some of you have one, and I have some questions.

5. Is spooning easier? i.e. does your arm fall asleep under your significant other?

1. soften, yes a little. no sag though.
2. yes, it is a slight bit harder for 5 minutes, until you begin to warm it up, then it softens up.
3. sometimes, I no longer have to move to alleviate back pain.
4. yes.
5. no problems. depends on position and size of partner, though.
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Somnambulist on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:30 am

the$inmusicisallmine wrote:
madlee wrote:Looking to get a new bed.

1. soften, yes a little. no sag though.
2. yes, it is a slight bit harder for 5 minutes, until you begin to warm it up, then it softens up.
3. sometimes, I no longer have to move to alleviate back pain.
4. yes.
5. no problems. depends on position and size of partner, though.

(1) Agree with this. The top/bottom layers got shifted some when the mattress was moved for some reason. I am guess because it was very hot and the thing is like trying to carry butter when it's hot and it just shifted some. It doesn't seem to affect the mattress at all.
(2) It's harder until it warms up but it's still comfortable. Hard to explain comfortable firm...
(3) Not usually but this is because my cats force me to roll so I am in the most comfortable position for them.
(4) Extremely comfortable in any position, back, side, stomach.
(5) My arms fall asleep sometimes when I put them under my pillow and lay on top of them but I don't have trouble with spooning other than my wife complaining she is too hot. (I generally am 99 - 100 degrees normal temperature.)
Somnambulist
arrow of light
arrow of light

Postby madlee on Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:44 am

wow, thanks for the excellent replies. appreciate it!
madlee
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby kerble on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:35 pm

Bumping!

Any recent recommendations for places to shop for a mattress in the city?
Looking to finally upgrade the bed.

Thanks!
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:14 am

kerble wrote:Bumping!

Any recent recommendations for places to shop for a mattress in the city?
Looking to finally upgrade the bed.

Thanks!

We got a new mattress last year around this time, went a little nuts with some high-end memory foam shit. Surprisingly, Macy's had the best deal at the time. If you can stand to wait a month, hit them up and everyone else around Presidents Day, when all furniture sales go apeshit.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands

Postby kerble on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:19 pm

Word! It's not a huge rush, so I'll definitely wait for the prices to drop. I'm going to be getting a bit of cash soon, and I'm looking to upgrade. Never considered Macy's, though. Good looking out!
kerble is right.
kerble

Postby hench on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:33 am

we did the online mattress thing a couple years back, and have been extremely happy with our loom & leaf. no aggro salesman hassle and no trepidation about buying it sight unseen given the chill return policy. the memory foam definitely runs warmer than our previous cheapo bag of leave and newsprint. other than that, no quibbles!
hench

Postby El Protoolio on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:38 am

Went to Mattress Firm two years ago and bought a queen sized Sealy Ashmore plush top and box spring for $1200. Life changer. Best purchase ever. My cat and I love it so much. It’s like sleeping on a cloud.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby kerble on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:11 pm

Nice! I was snooping around, and it looks like there's a Mattress Firm Clearance Store about five blocks from us. Still gonna wait things out until President's Day, but it looks like they have some stock I'm at least somewhat interested in. Cheers!
kerble is right.
kerble

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:25 pm

If you want something made in the United States that won't smell funky and doesn't have a bunch of questionable flame-retardant chemicals, go to Room & Board. No off-gassing. Sales reps are pretty civilized there and don't shove anything down your throat (at least not in NYC). We bought an Encased Coil Firm and it rules. (Particularly excellent if you're not a fan of all that foam and pillowy stuff.) Their frames are nice, too.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby Andrew. on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:06 am

STAMPS DOT COM
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby tmidgett on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:12 am

Did Helix. Filled out the little questionnaire. Mattress came to house. It's been great for the few months we've had it.
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby biscuitdough on Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:56 am

Coil - the only ones I've ever liked have been Stearns and Foster.

Foam you can go dirt cheap, because you either like foam or you don't and there's not a huge difference between price levels. You're paying more for a better outer shell or for the foam to be natural latex rather than synthetic or whatever, but foam is kind of just foam. I love my $200 full size Ikea foam, and at 5 years it's not sagging yet.

If you get a foam one, one of those anti-dust-mite fitted sheets is a good idea since it is going to try to fill with odors and dead skin more than a coil.
biscuitdough
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Previous

Return to General Discussion