home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

dadness

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: dadness

Postby Tom on Thu May 24, 2018 6:45 am

Re food... I don't support the "let the kids eat what they want when they want" attitude. In our experience, that's just a fast track to grazing on junk food all day. We don't make them eat every scrap on their plate, but there are set times to eat and we make it very clear that there isn't going to be any more food later. It doesn't always work - particularly with the younger one - I'm not going to be just ready to make them food at a whim and I don't want them eating pre made food all the time.

They're both getting into cooking now, which is great. Too young to do it by themselves, but I'm teaching them food\oven\knife safety right now with spaghetti and eggs. Going to move on to bread making soon.
Last edited by Tom on Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby hylje on Thu May 24, 2018 8:49 am

Any awesome tips on how to make a 8 month old eat her solids? We think she is teething and doesn't want to eat anything but berries and fruit.

Today I wasn't the father of the year. I got really frustrated when she didn't eat anything, threw her toys on the floor and generally refused to co-operate. I feel like an idiot now.

And then she went and crawled on all fours for the first time, spurting towards her mom when she got back from work.
hylje
carter family
carter family

Postby Tom on Thu May 24, 2018 11:17 am

You tried the airplane thing yet? That actually works really well.

I wouldn't push the solids too much at 8 months. That's kind of a transition time (at least in my experience). If I recall at that age we were just putting a bunch of safe to eat foods in front of them and letting them taste and play with them.
Tom

Postby jimmy spako on Thu May 24, 2018 11:36 am

Yeah, from my limited experience and having gone through that phase about a half year ago, I would say that it's perfectly fine to purée everything and keep trying solids occasionally to see if there is interest but not forcing it. I would be more focussed on exposing the baby to different tastes and trying to promote variety in whatever format they can deal with at the moment.
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby hylje on Thu May 24, 2018 12:40 pm

By solids I mean every form of food that is not boobie.
Finnish health care system is weird with their recommendations. One year the parents are supposed to start feeding solids at this point, then some year they are supposed to breast feed until the baby turns 18 years or something. We are told that we should try to feed five meals per day, not including breast feeding and try to make the meals her primary source of food. It's bit difficult if she doesn't eat.
hylje
carter family
carter family

Postby jimmy spako on Thu May 24, 2018 1:45 pm

Ah, sorry! Yeah, starting with solid foods from six months on seems about right. The health benefits of breastfeeding are mostly within those first six months, after that they need people food.

We bought jars of baby food and tried out everything, some stuff went over well, some didn't. Fruits were always popular. We made our own puréed stuff and froze it in icecube trays too, took one cube out at a time and thawed and warmed them up.

Are you trying to substitute the food for nursing? Like offering a meal instead of the breast when the baby is hungry? At some point that transition has to happen.

Our little dude was also over the babyfood fast and into real people food. He had a number of teeth at eight months. If you are only doing puréed stuff, trying offering anything (I believe discounting individual sensitivities, everything is safe except honey). Again you might already be doing this.

Hang in there! Like Tom said, some days the delivery has to be very animated and maybe some days all of that is not necessary.

It's easy to lose your patience, don't beat yourself up. I've found it's very healthy to just see it at base as a job (a very important one) and be dispassionate and just slog through it, detach a little inside if you need to. You will still be able to switch into an emotionally involved mode often when you're feeling it. That was a good realisation for me: "this is not about how it feels to me, I just have to do a good job". That's kind of hard in its own way, but it frees you up to at least not be frustrated by your own frustration, if you get me. Maybe you are already thinking this way.
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby hylje on Thu May 24, 2018 2:13 pm

jimmy spako wrote:It's easy to lose your patience, don't beat yourself up. I've found it's very healthy to just see it at base as a job (a very important one) and be dispassionate and just slog through it, detach a little inside if you need to. You will still be able to switch into an emotionally involved mode often when you're feeling it. That was a good realisation for me: "this is not about how it feels to me, I just have to do a good job". That's kind of hard in its own way, but it frees you up to at least not be frustrated by your own frustration, if you get me. Maybe you are already thinking this way.

That's a good advice! In a way I'm trying to do that already and most of the time I'm succeeding, but today and yesterday I wasn't doing a really good job with keeping my frustration at bay. And when you get your bearings you feel like an idiot when the little thing is smiling and being innocent.

She does eat sometimes. Maybe it's just the teething thing now. She is healthy, sleeps well, poops okay (although she hasn't pooped a real solid one in a while).
hylje
carter family
carter family

Postby djimbe on Thu May 24, 2018 3:10 pm

jimmy spako wrote:
It's easy to lose your patience, don't beat yourself up. I've found it's very healthy to just see it at base as a job (a very important one) and be dispassionate and just slog through it, detach a little inside if you need to. You will still be able to switch into an emotionally involved mode often when you're feeling it. That was a good realisation for me: "this is not about how it feels to me, I just have to do a good job". That's kind of hard in its own way, but it frees you up to at least not be frustrated by your own frustration, if you get me. Maybe you are already thinking this way.

this is a pretty great way of looking at it FM jimmy spako. Salut!
djimbe
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu May 24, 2018 4:29 pm

Can't be a perfect parent all the time. It's a job that requires infinite patience.

Frustration stems from desire so it's generally when you want something that you get angry. For instance trying to put a restless child to bed can be interminable if you are impatient to get on with doing something else, but if there's nowhere you'd rather be, it's fine. Spacing out is a skill: use it.

It's a job that's going to take up pretty much all of your time but only for a short while and then never again, so I just think ah, fuck everything else. It's not for long.

I used to buy all the different kinds of baby foods, of which there are many. Some of them were a hit, some of them were a big fail. Sometimes preferences would abruptly change. If one didn't work I'd try something else. I kept all the little jars too; they're great for holding screws and things like that. You'll never have a better opportunity to collect lots of little jars.

Before the baby food we started with baby rice, which is a powder you mix in with baby's milk to make a sort of milk-flavoured baby porridge. You can make as much or as little as you want at a time and I started out by just making a few spoonfuls up in the baby bottle cap and giving that before the milk. Later on started mixing baby food in with the baby rice and then baby food on its own.

And rusks of course when the teeth come in. Man this all seems a long time ago already. You won't believe how much mess can come out of a rusk.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby rgauss on Thu May 24, 2018 6:09 pm

I know they've been mentioned before but these things are the shit:
Take it with you everywhere you go and baby can just eat what your eating (assuming you eat healthy food). I don't think we ever purchased baby food.
rgauss
robert rauschenberg
robert rauschenberg

Postby the finger genius on Thu May 24, 2018 6:56 pm

Some sage advice on this page, thanks guys!
jimmy two hands wrote:Then we all log off internet and eat nachos. All is well.

Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death
the finger genius
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Tom on Thu May 24, 2018 7:59 pm

Haha, that food mill with the little blue pale looks like something a baby construction worker would have. We got one of those fancy Beaba or whatever their called steamers\choppers. That plus a ice cube tray thing is a perfect snack for a teething kid. Gives them something cold to suck on and you can mix fruity stuff with veggies and gradually introduce. Links below. That thing is totally great. I still use it for making dips and sauces. So good.

https://beabausa.com/babycook/103-babyc ... acock.html

https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Release-Spi ... ezer+trays
Tom

Postby Major on Fri May 25, 2018 9:23 am

My daughter walked into my room last night and saw a My Bloody Valentine record near the turntable.

"Haha, you listen to EMO !"

I started to defend myself then said, "You know what? You're right. If that record came out today, I'd probably ignore it just based on the band's name."

This morning she asked me for $30 so she could go see Panic At The Disco with her friends.

"You listen to EMO !

She slammed the door and left for school. Dummy.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby skoz on Sun May 27, 2018 5:45 am

rgauss wrote:I know they've been mentioned before but these things are the shit:
Take it with you everywhere you go and baby can just eat what your eating (assuming you eat healthy food). I don't think we ever purchased baby food.

Or you could just baby bird it to them and not carry around the hardware
skoz
grand
grand

Postby hylje on Mon May 28, 2018 2:14 pm

Daughter eats again. She wants to hold her food and chew it with her two (and a half) teeth. It's actually difficult to feed her puree now!

She also learned some new syllables. It's a nonestop babblefest now!

We took our first train ride today. Five hours. It went pretty smoothly. She charmed every old bitty that walked by.
hylje
carter family
carter family

Postby travis k on Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:54 pm

My daughter just showed me some newer dance called "flossing".
She was really good at it and it was so funny. Best laugh of the day.
travis k
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Luzwei on Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:44 am

Cherish those little fuckers. Cherish them with your whole heart. And more if possible.

We had a little scare beginning of year, Luna had to stay in the hospital for 3 weeks, she had a small heart issue. Well, she still does but the doc in charge is saying that she's getting better. She had a big case of arrhythmia during a regular checkup before a flu shot and she was rushed to the hospital. She had to stay there until all tests were made and the proper medication would be administered and she checked out without any side effects. It's little to say that we were scared, but you have to roll with the punch and make the best out of it, being scared or not. The kid needs you to be there for them, the kid does not need your tears but your laughs. Anyway.

She's fluent in American, although we never spoke with her the language. She adores those CookieSwirlC videos on YouTube and she sometimes scares me that they wont let her in school next year because she prefers English to Croatian.

So, cherish them. Those little fuckers. They are everything.
lemur68 wrote:A bite from a Lu Zworis is also highly venomous.

I Joe 4 play.
Luzwei
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby the finger genius on Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:29 am

Glad she's recovering - you're right - don't take a second for granted.

the finger genius
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby the finger genius on Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:52 pm

also, seems relevant.

the finger genius
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby seanurban on Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:32 pm

Absolutely! Hang in there.
seanurban
King High

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion