home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

What Are You Thinking Right This Second?

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: What Are You Thinking Right This Second?

Postby Pasta on Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:26 pm

Seriously though. Fuck it ALL. all the talk, all the opinining, all the needs. Fuck it.

FUCK IT. the world appears to be falling apart.

Sick of it all. Shut yer mouth and do something. No more false equivalents. Think of someone/something other than yerself.

Dinners just about ready, she's almost home.

I don't care fuck you
Ninety Five Cents? FUCK YOU!!! I'LL SKATE TO THE BEACH.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby total_douche on Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:23 pm

Right now I'm thinking I don't listen to A Raw Youth often enough. I bought it on the same day as Patch the Sky and I listen to that all the time. Makes no sense at all, it's one of the best albums I have on-hand. I swear to God I hear echoes of Grant Kirkhope in Stab my Back.

kokorodoko wrote:Can you give an example of how this sounds?

Sure. Take a good recording and feed it into a cassette tape player to lop off everything above 15k, and make sure you gain the ever-living-ass out of it when you're recording. That's not a smart-ass answer, mind, I just can't think of a specific example, because it's something I hear in sound bytes when I'm exposed to music out in public and file under "I hate the way this sounds." I get the aesthetic they're going for, but I don't care for it.

In real life, my observation is that, unless you're playing a crash on the rim with the blunt end forward, most cymbals ping like crazy when you hit them. Low sample rates and changes in EQ tend to lop this off, and it sounds weird as shit to me.

I don't know that it matters that much, though, lots of my favourite records have drums that sound like ass (see: Husker Du).
total_douche
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby kokorodoko on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:18 am

Ah. I'm not sure I can form a picture, but thanks for the answer nonetheless.

I don't agree that Husker Du's drums sound like ass though. What sounds like ass to me is the 70s rock drum sound: That dry, "studio-ey" thud that sounds detached from the rest of the music (see David Bowie - "Five Years"). It's like it removes both the meat and the breath of the drums and at the same time has this sharp and unpleasant quality to it.
Janeway wrote:those cat-food-for-lunch-deserving motherfuckers 8)
kokorodoko
satan
satan

Postby Mason on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:15 pm

Flipping the question, can you give an example of a drum recording you really like? That preserves the cymbal "ping" and whatever else?
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:28 pm

Social media detox day 58- I find I'm nursing a bunch of microcrushes on strangers lately, like a kid only creepier because I'm not. I found myself wondering if I found out I had a truncated amount of time to live, would I be ballsier about talking to them.
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby kokorodoko on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:23 am

Mason wrote:

Flipping the question, can you give an example of a drum recording you really like? That preserves the cymbal "ping" and whatever else?

Well, I like some of the early post-punk sound. Like Siouxsie and the Banshees "Jigsaw Feeling" or Sex Gang Children "Killer K". The clanky groove of Can is cool. Also At Action Park, Goat, Doe and the Nina Nastasia records. Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
kokorodoko
satan
satan

Postby kokorodoko on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:09 am

Have you ever seen those youtube comments where some nazi pretending to be a Jew with a "Jew name" makes some stereotype Jewish comment ("we will soon rule the world and enslave the goyim" etc), and then another nazi pretends to believe that the other guy is a Jew and makes an angry response? It's quite surreal. What are they getting out of this?
kokorodoko
satan
satan

Postby total_douche on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:31 pm

kokorodoko wrote:Have you ever seen those youtube comments where some nazi pretending to be a Jew with a "Jew name" makes some stereotype Jewish comment ("we will soon rule the world and enslave the goyim" etc), and then another nazi pretends to believe that the other guy is a Jew and makes an angry response? It's quite surreal. What are they getting out of this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masturbation
total_douche
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby total_douche on Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:25 pm

Man, if Republicans hate Mexico so much, why do they keep trying to turn the US into Mexico?

That's a disingenuous question. I think they hate Mexico and Mexicans so much because they know, deep down, that Mexico is the ultimate reflection of their disastrous policy ideas.
total_douche
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby brephophagist on Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:03 am

total_douche wrote:

Sure.

fyp
brephophagist
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby total_douche on Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:50 pm

Actually, around the 34-minute mark there is a really good example of what I'm talking about. Listen to how crappy the cymbals sound. Cymbals don't sound anything like that in real life, at all, under any conditions, ever, unless maybe the drums are five rooms away or you have really bad hearing. Squeaky-clean close-mic'd drums drive me nuts, too. If you want a good idea of what it sounds like to sit behind a drum kit in a moderately-sized room, this comes pretty close to my experience:

phpBB [media]

Again, I get that it's an aesthetic thing, they're trying to emulate a sound that came from substandard equipment used by less-well-to-do artists back in the day, but it just irritates me personally. And it's not like all old recordings sounded that way, either, because the drums on Monster Mash (1962) sound great - not at all dissimilar from the Foo Fighters recording, actually. Jesus fucking Christ, even old Elvis songs sound better. It bakes my noodle how people will go through all the effort of using a bazillion close mics and effects to produce drums that sound like cardboard boxes when Glyn Johns got consistently great, lifelike recordings out of three or four mics, and you just know most of those Elvis recordings were probably recorded with a single mic.
total_douche
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Defender on Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:06 am

sorta surprised nobody ever accidentally sucks a cigarette right down their throat when smoking one
"a little red wine, vintage record, some Ambien ... and magic!"
- elon musk
Defender
second class
second class

Postby brephophagist on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:32 pm

total_douche wrote:Actually, around the 34-minute mark there is a really good example of what I'm talking about. Listen to how crappy the cymbals sound.

I know I sounded snarky, but I was serious. I think that sound you're describing is pretty much due to people wanting to recreate the sound of classic breakbeats (Impeach the President, etc.) but still achieve thrash-metal levels of drum isolation. AKA taking the worst parts of both things.
brephophagist
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby Defender on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:15 am

my heart is beating kind of fast and irregularly
"a little red wine, vintage record, some Ambien ... and magic!"
- elon musk
Defender
second class
second class

Postby total_douche on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:08 pm

brephophagist wrote:
total_douche wrote:Actually, around the 34-minute mark there is a really good example of what I'm talking about. Listen to how crappy the cymbals sound.

I know I sounded snarky, but I was serious. I think that sound you're describing is pretty much due to people wanting to recreate the sound of classic breakbeats (Impeach the President, etc.) but still achieve thrash-metal levels of drum isolation. AKA taking the worst parts of both things.

I didn't take it as snarky at all, I thought it was a fine example.
total_douche
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby sitwell on Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:52 pm

I am eating potato chip nachos for lunch out of stuff I just had around. Not sure what that says about me.
sitwell
denny dias
denny dias

Postby total_douche on Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:32 pm

If we weren't socialized to know that the electronic sirens on emergency vehicles were emergency noises, we would probably think that they sound like ridiculous cartoon sound effects. Out of context, they sound positively stupid.
total_douche
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby total_douche on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:58 pm

Why are there new songs on thew classic rock charts? Do the people who put the charts together not understand what the term "classic rock" means?

Has anyone successfully pinpointed the exact moment in time where Taylor Swift switched from the forced southern accent to the forced newscaster accent? There's got to be some fucked-up thing for social scientists to study there.
total_douche
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Janeway on Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:10 pm

come on, cubs
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby sitwell on Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:39 pm

Semi-automatic weapons do not belong in civilian hands fucking ever.
sitwell
denny dias
denny dias

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion