home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Official EA Forum What Pinball Games Are You Playing? Thread

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Official EA Forum What Pinball Games Are You Playing? Thread

Postby Arson Smith on Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:53 am

(As a parallel to the 'Official EA Forums What Video Games Are You Playing? Thread' thread):

So this is our regular pinball spot, here in South Roxana, IL: http://www.cppinball.com/
(closer to Saint Louis, MO than anything else - let's put it that way...)

Last night some friends came along that hadn't been before... My one friend claims to have flunked out of high school basically because he spent so much time ditching out and playing Comet somewheres... well lo, and behold: this place we frequent has a *PRISTINE* Comet machine... I mean Comet as a game doesn't even do that much for me, but I will say that out of all this guy's machines where we go play at, this Comet machine is ridiculously clean/perfect looking and playing... so we hit that sucker long and hard, also with a little bit of Cyclone on the side... without even really trying last week I got "on the board" on the Cyclone there, but could not quite manage to get enough ramp shots to get the accumulating jackpot... then another guy comes along right after me and plays kind of absent-mindedly smacking it around while holding a conversation with me... at one point I say, "Uh - if you can shoot that ramp again one more time real quick, you'll snag the jackpot" and of course he instantly made for the ramp and trashed my score (which he then later felt guilty about, but fuck it - it's all good)

Tonight, I went in with the mindset that I had scores to settle with Elvis® and Theatre of Magic... but they were both definitely not having it tonight... I am "on the board" on this particular Elvis® machine (with ~185,000,000), but one of the regulars has recently squeaked just ahead of me... I'm nowhere near "completing" the game (i.e. Going "To Graceland") - at best, I can usually complete 4 of the 5 main tasks (never seem to get all 5 completed within the same game), and then there are other hoops to jump through... the game offers a lot as far a 'replayability' since there is so much crap to accomplish...

Eventually gave up on those two and switched over to a The Lord of the Rings machine, and started having more fun, as I was just knocking the ball around all different ways and not really focused on doing certain tasks in any certain order... seems you can get pretty long playtime (shitloads of crazy multiballs, etc) on this one without necessarily racking up that high of a score... appreciated getting in some "free practice" on it, as there is talk of a place near us in Saint Charles, MO that is having a contest for prizes, etc. right now to see who can make the highest score on it before the end of the year... (apparently my Cyclone arch-rival there has been out to the Saint Charles place and said that so far the high score is ridiculously low, like 139,000,000, and this is only maybe a tenth of what he has seen people score over here where we regularly play (although machines can vary, etc)... so we're pretty sure somebody is going to go over there and do some cleaning up... I'm going to give it a shot or two one of these nights I guess, just to say I tried... but just for reference I only tonight got my game up to about 50,000,000 and the one guy who seems to be "the best" over here has had a game go over 1,000,000,000 (over a billion) and they said it took him over an hour, possibly two to get that score...

Other recently played favorites: Funhouse, Medieval Madness, and that Doctor Who game is kind of fun also...

I don't know if anyone else has much to contribute to this as a thread, but let's hear it if you do... which ones are you playing? What condition are the machines in that you play? How well are you doing on them? etc. etc. etc.
My mind, it's a terrible diskette.
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Re: Official EA Forum What Pinball Games Are You Playing? Thread

Postby lemur68 on Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:12 am

I'm not much good at pinball, but I like it anyway.

Me, Mandroid and Replicator played the shit out of the LotR machine in Portland.

Also in Portland, the Ground Kontrol arcade has this:

I used to enjoy the World Cup Soccer machine back circa '93-'94, with the giant spinning soccer ball.
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Arson Smith on Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:43 pm

lemur68 wrote:I'm not much good at pinball, but I like it anyway.

Me, Mandroid and Replicator played the shit out of the LotR machine in Portland.

Also in Portland, the Ground Kontrol arcade has this:

I used to enjoy the World Cup Soccer machine back circa '93-'94, with the giant spinning soccer ball.

Haha - and on the right there's another Doctor Who machine sneaking into the shot...

I believe my "connection" also has a World Cup Soccer machine currently in rotation, and I have not played it once yet... will remember to take it for a test-drive next time we head over there.

I remember Mandroid and/or benadrian talking about Lucky Ju Ju in another thread somewhere... I'm jealous - would definitely love to play Orbitor 1 or Xenon...

(I think the Xenon pinball game very well may have been my first exposure to that whole female robot sexy futuristic type art, and to be honest I think it creeped me out a lot at that age... I think they had that at the roller skating rink we went to, but at the time I mostly stuck to playing Space Invaders and Zaxxon and shit...)
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby ironyengine on Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:14 pm

I have not played pinball in a long time. But scott started a thread about pinball a while back, I'm too drunk to find it right now, wherein someone (possibly him) referenced Pinbot.

Pinbot is the last pinball machine I will ever need to play. It rules.
I never thought I'd recover from the trouble that Youtube put me through...
ironyengine
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby hench on Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:21 pm

arson - that looks like a beautiful spot you've got down there. i'll definitely have to make the five hour drive one of these weekends, cause there's nothing like that up here. doesn't make any sense, given that williams/bally was based in chicago.

these days, i've mostly been geeking out on a well-maintained 'creature from the black lagoon' - still a great game, and very fun. the 'attack from mars' that i used to play up on the north side is steadily deteriorating - don't think it's had any maintenance since i found it back in 2005.

anybody know of any good places to play older (williams/bally, not stern) games in the city? until i get a basement, i can't start buying the damn things...
hench

Postby Flaneur on Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:34 pm

Played a new Dark Knight pinball machine at Schubas last weekend (a Stern model). Good to play a new machine in perfect shape, and, since the only other new machine I've seen in this decade is The Sopranos, was excited just to see that Stern is still in business.
Flaneur
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby cesb on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:24 am

Arson Smith wrote:
lemur68 wrote:I used to enjoy the World Cup Soccer machine back circa '93-'94, with the giant spinning soccer ball.

I believe my "connection" also has a World Cup Soccer machine currently in rotation, and I have not played it once yet... will remember to take it for a test-drive next time we head over there.

Do it. I highly recommend Soccer. Spinning ball. Wacky modes like "Tea Time" when you light London, or whatever. Crazy music and gulping sounds. Kooky, fun game all around.

I also really enjoyed Star Trek TNG, Mars Attacks!, Theatre of Magic and Twilight Zone from that era.
Mike G. | +@-
cesb
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby Tree on Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:10 pm

For Valentine's Day, I took my wife out to Lyons Classic Pinball in Lyons, CO. Good times. Lord of the Rings is great, Joust is a blast with two players, South Park is actually pretty fun. The Black Hole is notable only because if you get the ball in that upper-left hand spot, it goes into that lower level in the middle and plays entirely in reverse. The flippers are facing the player and it goes uphill toward the player. I did not realize this in time the one time I got it in there and lost my ball right away.

I was disappointed to find that Funhouse and Volcano were out of order, the former crapping out the night before. Attack from Mars!/Revenge from Mars! would be much better games if they didn't eat your money like there is no tomorrow.

Lyons classic pinball has a fine collection of tables, but it's nothing compared to its retired list, which includes Monster Bash, probably my all-time favorite.

Carlin: Get that place near you to spread the word nationwide about the $10 admission. There was a mall in Denver that had an arcade that did this years ago and it made for a great night.

Marrying a woman that thinks you're the greatest guy ever for taking her out to play pinball for Valentine's Day: Not Crap.
Last edited by Tree on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono
Tree
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Allan Sims on Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:01 pm

Bay Area putzes: There is great pinballing to be had on Friday and Sat. nights (and Sun. evenings, I see- that's new) at Lucky Juju in Alameda.

Good people, good times.

I think Orbitor 1 is my favorite.
Allan Sims
spoon bender
spoon bender

Postby iembalm on Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:15 pm

There is, literally, not a pinball machine in a public place within ten miles of me, so I play GORGAR and FUNHOUSE on the Wii.
iembalm
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby turnbullac on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:30 pm

I have this machine in my garage:

ans it's been there for 5 years without being set up because there's just no damn room in my house for it. It was in playable condition before it was put on ice but who knows what it's like now. I feel terrible that it's just been sitting there. I need to find someone who can bring it back to its full glory.

I also have the wii game. Funhouse is frustrating as shit on there.
turnbullac

Postby Arson Smith on Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:23 am

iembalm wrote:There is, literally, not a pinball machine in a public place within ten miles of me, so I play GORGAR and FUNHOUSE on the Wii.

turnbullac wrote:I also have the wii game. Funhouse is frustrating as shit on there.

At least you guys still get to slap balls against Rudy's chin - and that's always a win.
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Arson Smith on Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:45 am

Tree wrote:Lyons classic pinball has a fine collection of tables, but it's nothing compared to its retired list, which includes Monster Bash, probably my all-time favorite.

Hey, hey - I was just looking up information on that place the other day... a buddy of mine at work is no longer satisfied with the local beer stores selection, and is obsessively sending/receiving beers in the mail/UPS/FedEx every other day at work... he got in some cans of Ten Fidy that day, and we started Googling shit up... I'll definitely let you know if we get a wild hair and decide to road trip out there!

Also interesting that you mention Monster Bash - I just decided that is the game I am going to obsess over for the next while here... I am so dumb though, it wasn't until just last night (Saturday night) that I realized two things about the game:

1) I was too hung up on trying to collect each monster's instrument, and I hadn't noticed that even by just beginning their "special mode", even if you didn't complete it, you still got credit for it (in that their faces will light up, just not their instruments) and that after you get all the faces to at least light up, then you are eligible to kick it into Monster Bash mode or Monster Mosh Pit mode or whatever it is where you get 2,000,000 for every monster hit. That is a way to rack up some serious points, if done well.

2) I just now caught on to using the monster "items" that you collect... for example, if it says you have "collected 1 garlic clove" and then you go into Drac Attack mode (wherein you are supposed to hit Dracula 5 times) then you press the Launch button and it "uses" the garlic and credits it as a "hit" on Dracula... I mean I feel really dumb that I didn't catch on to that sooner...

Tree wrote:Marrying a woman that thinks you're the greatest guy ever for taking her out to play pinball for Valentine's Day: Not Crap.

So... I should figure I've got a keeper then also? :D
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby RBoyer on Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:21 am

I'm always happy to find an "Eight Ball" machine. Simple, but requires some skill to keep it going -- kind of the crossover from the old baseball-with-a-ball-bearing games to modern pinball. Plus, there are no ridiculous magnets dragging your pinball down the center of the alley.

"Elvira" also kicks ass.
RBoyer
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Tree on Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:58 pm

Arson Smith wrote:
Tree wrote:Lyons classic pinball has a fine collection of tables, but it's nothing compared to its retired list, which includes Monster Bash, probably my all-time favorite.

Hey, hey - I was just looking up information on that place the other day... a buddy of mine at work is no longer satisfied with the local beer stores selection, and is obsessively sending/receiving beers in the mail/UPS/FedEx every other day at work... he got in some cans of Ten Fidy that day, and we started Googling shit up... I'll definitely let you know if we get a wild hair and decide to road trip out there!

Ha! I didn't get to go next door and grab a brew. I've been wanting to go to the brewery forever (being a fan of Old Chub), but we had to head to dinner.

Also interesting that you mention Monster Bash...

It's been probably eight years at this point, so I can't quite remember what you are talking about. I like that you mentioned "Drac", though. My wife and I occasionally send text messages that say, "Beat it Drac, I'm jamming with Muck."

I saw that your place had it, and next time we drive to Columbus, we will set a few hours aside to visit said place and crush some Monster Bash.

Tree wrote:Marrying a woman that thinks you're the greatest guy ever for taking her out to play pinball for Valentine's Day: Not Crap.

So... I should figure I've got a keeper then also? :D

Yeah, you scored an free game there. I don't really know what that means.
Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono
Tree

Postby Arson Smith on Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:41 pm

Tree wrote:My wife and I occasionally send text messages that say, "Beat it Drac, I'm jamming with Muck."

THAT IS ALL KINDS OF !@#$ AWESOME.
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby hench on Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:33 pm

quick bump and shoutout to arson for letting me check out his pinball mecca. it is truly the happiest place on earth for a dude like me - monster bash, attack from mars, medieval madness, demolition man, and johnny mnemonic were just some of the tables that put a smile on my face and an ache in my arms. holy crap - i know i thanked you about thirty dozen times yesterday, but once more: thanks, arson! that was AWESOME!
hench

Postby Arson Smith on Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:50 pm

hench wrote:quick bump and shoutout to arson for letting me check out his pinball mecca. it is truly the happiest place on earth for a dude like me - monster bash, attack from mars, medieval madness, demolition man, and johnny mnemonic were just some of the tables that put a smile on my face and an ache in my arms. holy crap - i know i thanked you about thirty dozen times yesterday, but once more: thanks, arson! that was AWESOME!

Aw shucks - don't thank me - thank Chuck (the owner).

Let it be known - hench a true 'baller... (I had no kind of game happenin' last night...)

'GOOD TIMES' is an understatement - y'all c'mon back now, y'hear?

(P.S. - thanks again for the CDs!)

ALSO - TO ANYONE WHO MAY BE INTERESTED IN SUCH A THING:

Tournament 2009: Saturday February 28th

We will start at 10 am promptly. We will open at 9am so that you can get registered, settle in, and warm up. The cost is $20 for the day, we will provide pizza or subs for lunch, and soda and water will be available. We will play head to head from 10-2pm then divide up and start the finals. We will break up and have the Finals for the top 8 players. The first 4 players should get WPPR Points. The first 4 losers out of this round will play the number 9,10,11,and 12 players for a Special award. We will have two divisions in the finals.

No cash at this tournament: only the thrill of being the new CP Pinball champ, pride, WPPR points, and a trophy.

We should be done by 6pm.
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby hench on Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:24 pm

dude, i'm so tempted to come down for the tournament. are both chuck and the other guy (boz?) staying out of it? that's the only way i've got a fighting chance at placing in the thing... seriously, it's my job to get my name into afm as ruler of the universe (which, i noted, was still on the default setting of 'TEX,' which means that chuck hasn't done it yet)...
hench

Postby Arson Smith on Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:54 pm

hench wrote:dude, i'm so tempted to come down for the tournament. are both chuck and the other guy (boz?) staying out of it? that's the only way i've got a fighting chance at placing in the thing...

Heh - yeah, that is a good question... and also what I may be even more scared of is what other fully righteous players might potentially come out of the woodwork for this (if he's been sufficiently spreading the word...)

hench wrote:seriously, it's my job to get my name into afm as ruler of the universe (which, i noted, was still on the default setting of 'TEX,' which means that chuck hasn't done it yet)...

Totally - you need to do that *and* afterward talk some good trash to him about it - I'm pretty sure he lives for that shit.

In other news:

I was doing a little better on my Monster Bash game last night (went lighter on the berrs!)... got to the 'Bash' part a couple of times, scores were hovering around the 200,000,000 mark... and at one point I even had 5 of the 6 damn monster instruments ... of course, the one I was missing was Bride of Frankenstein, which apparently is a pretty common outcome...

Chuck stepped in and gave me a quick schooling on some strategy: he says to always work on her ramp shots first, get those all knocked out to get her "mode" started (along with any other modes you may have gotten started along the way) and *then* do the Frankenstein('s monster) mode. You can't begin another monster's mode from within Frankenstein's mode, but any that were already previously begun will continue through his multiball mode *AND* (most importantly) their timers stop. Hell of a lot better chance getting all of her ramps all lit up again for the second time without that 30-second timer nagging away at you (although I have also since learned that the center spinner shot will reset a timer for you, up to 3 times I think). The only real pain in the ass here is if you had Drac Attack mode started but not completed prior, because now that asshole keeps mezzzzzzzmerizzzzing you with his semicircular movements!, moving around and blocking that right ramp (until you also whack him sufficiently).

I was also reminded tonight, that I really ought to work on my "flipper passing" skills in general.
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Next

Return to General Discussion