home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Bicycle/Bicycling Advice

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Bicycle/Bicycling Advice

Postby bishopdante on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:40 am

cerebralheadtrip wrote:i actually went into my bike shop yesterday and just decided to keep it simple and buy some Gatorskins. at 95 psi they already feel more comfortable on harsh pavement than my old set. i noticed an a little increase in gripiness too. pretty happy. thought about going with something a little lighter, but biking in chicago, it just dosent make sense.

heres the thing tho, they were a BITCH to get on my rim. ive changed tons of flats in my day and never really had an issue. but i was seriously struggling in the shop to get these things on. took me a good half hour or so do the pair. amazing i didnt pop a tube or two in the process.

Continental tires are almost always a nightmare to get onto / off the rim.
502 Bad Gateway · nginx/1.0.8
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Madman Munt on Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Madman Munt wrote:I personally can't process a Snickers bar at full gas.

Yeah, but today I was fuelled by Topic bar x2, Kenyan Espresso, Glass of water x2. Not ideal.

Hey, another easy to assimilate cycling food: mrs Crimble's Macaroons. I'd imagine these are a fast track to type2 if you don't regularly deplete your glycogen stores, but a very nice boost of energy if you are flagging. I'll have to find a recipe.

Now I am asking for advice. Dealing with low-IQ, maggot-dicked, lard-arses who purposely swerve into cyclists' paths in their MOT-dodging shitboxes. This is a standard Bristol move I have observed several times on myself and others. I can deal with inattentive drivers, potentially murderous cunts are a different matter.
Madman Munt
"wild bill" hickok
"wild bill" hickok

Postby bishopdante on Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:31 pm

Madman Munt wrote:Now I am asking for advice. Dealing with low-IQ, maggot-dicked, lard-arses who purposely swerve into cyclists' paths in their MOT-dodging shitboxes. This is a standard Bristol move I have observed several times on myself and others. I can deal with inattentive drivers, potentially murderous cunts are a different matter.

Aside from making yourself suitably high-vis and running bright lights set to flash even during daylight hours... if that doesn't do the job...

Then you are probably dealing with this situation 'ere:

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

... I believe that the correct procedure is to buy a couple of cheap cameras (eg: the long-obsolete gopro hero2) and equip your vehicle with evidence-gathering facilities, which can be forwarded to the roz as and when necessary.

YouTube is also a fine place for depositing the evidence. This one is a bit of a classic, with hundreds of thousands of views:

phpBB [media]
bishopdante

Postby tmoneygetpaid on Tue May 02, 2017 4:12 pm

Yeah, I had a recent run-in with one of those (murderous cunts). It had been a couple years. Dude decided to follow me for a good mile or so over the course of multiple turns, gunning it to get near me so he could accost and threaten me.

There is no good way to deal with these folks. Just back off, defuse, and swallow your pride for your own safety. They are operating what could become a murder weapon. Brush your shoulders off. Get on with kicking ass at life.
tmoneygetpaid
total piece of shit
total piece of shit

Postby barndog on Tue May 30, 2017 5:08 pm

Anyone have any recommendations for dual platform SPD pedals (one side cleat / on side flat for regular shoes)?
barndog
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby bishopdante on Tue May 30, 2017 9:18 pm

Clipless platform pedals are the worst of both worlds... they are obesely heavy, thick, and work rather badly as platform pedals. A few people like the feel of platform shaped cleat pedals clipped in, people who are used to the pedal feel of platforms, but using normal shoes they are vile.

Would argue that a spanner and a set of each type of pedal is far more sensible if you want to swap between the two.
bishopdante

Postby geiginni on Tue May 30, 2017 9:30 pm

Was never a fan of the SPDs. I went with the Crank Bros. Eggbeaters (the upgraded forged steel model) and have always been happy with them. 4-way step-in. You'll never be struggling to flip into the right side.

If you're a big heavy, super-strong or pigeon-toed dude they might not be for you. I've had big guys complain they're too easy to clip out of accidentally. You get a choice of clip-out angle, in addition to 7-degrees of float IIRC. No complaints here after over 10 years.
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby tmoneygetpaid on Wed May 31, 2017 12:15 pm

I've ridden on a few pairs of the platform/ SPD sets. The nicest ones I tried were the Shimano M324. Pricey, but they feel good and are well-made.

I just ride platform pedals now. The MKS Sylvan touring and MT Lite I'd recommend highly.
tmoneygetpaid
total piece of shit
total piece of shit

Postby sitwell on Wed May 31, 2017 10:15 pm

I would just get one set of each unless you need to change in one ride. Changing pedals takes about 30 seconds. I guess I always think GR-9s with toe clips are good for city riding and Eggbeaters are good for athletic riding.
sitwell
denny dias
denny dias

Postby geiginni on Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:58 am

Have you looked into getting the platform adaptor that'll just work with an existing set of SPD pedals? You'd need another set of cleats, of course:

https://www.amazon.com/Corki-15-Clipless-Platform-Adapter-Speedplay/dp/B01JM5SYGK/ref=pd_sbs_468_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01JM5SYGK&pd_rd_r=8BYV0PHHGR2N2XCDT4ZW&pd_rd_w=nLQTy&pd_rd_wg=ntBVh&refRID=8BYV0PHHGR2N2XCDT4ZW
geiginni

Postby barndog on Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:48 pm

geiginni wrote:Have you looked into getting the platform adaptor that'll just work with an existing set of SPD pedals?

Guys at the bike store suggested these as well:

https://www.flypedals.com/

I ended up going with these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MJ ... UTF8&psc=1

I go between wearing bike shoes and regular shoes a lot - it is a bit of a pain to get the right side of the pedal up to clip in sometimes, but I got pretty good at it (I think my previous pair were Shimano M324s). SPDs are nice because the cleat is recessed so you can walk around a little better. I really like the feel of being clipped in - especially on long rides.
barndog

Postby sparky on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:23 am

Forum members Madman Munt and Emmanuel Cunt, thank you for your cycling advice a few months back and I apologise for not acknowledging this earlier. I am a bad, rude man. The advice on eating and pacing helped a lot, though I still need to manage my eating better. My big ride with friends was London to Tintern Abbey in Wales a month and a bit back, and I'm pleased to say I made it with only one instance of almost falling off my bike in a sort of delirium. My companions bought me a Walls Cornetto and a can of coke, which sorted me out. Ham sandwiches are perfect, but my insane logic thought it would be even better to add pâté, cheese and jalapeños to most of my sandwiches, which turned out strangely unpleasant by the time we reached Swindon. I've a tip of my own, which is almost certainly bleeding obvious: if you plan a route using river and canal towpaths, check that they're appropriate for the bikes you're intending to ride them on. We'd been spoiled by the relatively zippy London ones, so the deep ruts and jagged rocks began to make us sad after a couple of hours, pushing us back onto fast roads and lovely lovely tarmac, though too late for the friend whose arse was so smashed by the bumpiness that he had to give up at Swindon, unlovely Swindon.

On the other hand, crossing the Severn Bridge into Wales is one of the most heart-stilling experiences I've had while cycling, the height and vista over the wide river, the forest bank and the modern bridge a mile or two off reduced us to incoherent mutterers. Route here if anyone's interested, though I suggest skipping the towpaths:

https://www.strava.com/activities/984752232

Chocolate milk works!

On tyres: I've been on Gatorskin hardshells for years, probably daft heavy, but I've only had one puncture and that was essentially a metal spear. As others note above, they are sods to remove/put on; I managed to snap a plastic tyre iron while dealing with that one puncture.
Gib Opi kein Opium, denn Opium bringt Opi um!
sparky
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby sparky on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:32 am

A couple of weeks back my girlfriend and I went on a hastily organised trip to Majorca, staying near Pollença and hiring a couple of fancy road bikes, which have made me begin to reconsider my dismissal of carbon frames as being for either professionals or MAMILs. They were so nice to ride. Anyway, I was told before, Majorca is heaven for cyclists, and the road down to and up from Sa Calobra brought old man tears to my eyes. We took our sweet time cycling back up, and we want to go back. Honestly sublime, I recommend it to all of you.
sparky

Postby B_M_L on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:15 am

That's an awesome ride Sparky!

I've been trying to do more cycling this year. I'm living in the South Downs so the roads are very quiet and it's been really enjoyable. My longest ride so far has been 75km. 200+ looks HUGE. I can't imagine going that distance! My aim is to do a 100 mile ride by the end of summer - but that seems like a long way off at the moment.
B_M_L
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby sparky on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:49 pm

B_M_L wrote:That's an awesome ride Sparky!

I've been trying to do more cycling this year. I'm living in the South Downs so the roads are very quiet and it's been really enjoyable. My longest ride so far has been 75km. 200+ looks HUGE. I can't imagine going that distance! My aim is to do a 100 mile ride by the end of summer - but that seems like a long way off at the moment.

Happy days, B_M_L! The South Downs must be a marvellous place to cycle around. I only started cycling longer distances a few years ago, I'm slow and often wobble, but provided I keep fed and don't always try to match the heroic pace of stronger friends, it's fine. It's a lovely way to go through the world and the flip book of images and incident that you're left with at the end, along with the satisfaction of slicing through the countryside, is unmatched in my experience. Go for it, I say, and be with good company. Conversation and shared silences when you cross something magnificent are a big part of the fun.
sparky

Postby Adam I II on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:45 am

In reference to the grumpy car drivers, as a runner (also a cyclist) I am regularly amazed at the horrible behaviour of 'mamils' riding in a pelotron on country lanes. Out in the sticks, where affluent early-retirees seem to default to lycra and carbon, these pack-hunting menaces are both numerous and terrifying (to me). They exhibit exactly the same behaviour as bike-ignorant drivers to, and have me constantly jumping in the ditch!

That said, any recommendations for cheapish lock-on grips for my elderly Sirrus would be appreciated.

Hello!
Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti.
Adam I II
kukla
kukla

Postby Madman Munt on Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:13 pm

Adam I II wrote:lock-on grips

Odi Rogue. One of my favorite bike components ever. I don't ride flat bars any more, but if I did, it would be with these:

Madman Munt
"wild bill" hickok
"wild bill" hickok

Postby B_M_L on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:43 am

Hello!

Adam I II wrote:In reference to the grumpy car drivers, as a runner (also a cyclist) I am regularly amazed at the horrible behaviour of 'mamils' riding in a pelotron on country lanes. Out in the sticks, where affluent early-retirees seem to default to lycra and carbon, these pack-hunting menaces are both numerous and terrifying (to me). They exhibit exactly the same behaviour as bike-ignorant drivers to, and have me constantly jumping in the ditch!

I have avoided 'group rides' and the local cycling club for this reason. I tend to ride alone or with one other person. But I don't understand the big peloton rides - it doesn't seem that much fun to me. We don't get too may of them down here anyway.
B_M_L

Postby tmoneygetpaid on Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:06 pm

Madman Munt wrote:
Adam I II wrote:lock-on grips

Odi Rogue. One of my favorite bike components ever. I don't ride flat bars any more, but if I did, it would be with these:

Do they get sticky quickly? Been riding Ouri grips, but they get sticky very quickly. My 80s mountain bikes have nice flat rubber grips that aren't sticky after 30+ years, not sure why that isn't the winning formula.
tmoneygetpaid
total piece of shit
total piece of shit

Postby Madman Munt on Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:42 pm

I first came across them on a second-hand bike in 2011 and they were still good when I sold my last flat bar bike end of 2015. They are the only grips I have ever had a strong romantic involvement with, if that means anything. I still get good feelings when I think about them. They are a harder rubber than that spongy stuff they sometimes make grips out of. I have a pair of Bontrager grips at the bottom my parts box that are total dogshit.

I think I once had a bike with rotten Oury grips. Nasty. Cut that shit off and get some lock-ons on!

(Not my pic)
Madman Munt
"wild bill" hickok
"wild bill" hickok

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion