home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Home repair/maintenance/improvement thread

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Home repair/maintenance/improvement thread

Postby codetocontra on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:35 am

If you have a sump pit I would highly recommend 2 pumps and a battery backup. Nothing fails when it isn't working, they always fail at the worst time. Bad storms that bring lots of rain and wind knock out power and leave you flooded. I see it often enough to feed my pessimism to adopt the motto that "everything fails eventually."

Doorbell circuits are fairly simple. The bell itself might be the problem. Whole kits shouldn't be too expensive to replace the bell and button. Just shut the power source off. Often a transformer is wired on with the furnace say switch or off of a junction box neat the panel
codetocontra
hiwatt
hiwatt

Postby codetocontra on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:40 am

Can't edit on phone...bumped submit before finished.
*SSY switch...thanks auto correct.
*Near electric panel or off of a junction box light fixture in the ceiling. Just follow the wires.
codetocontra
hiwatt
hiwatt

Postby wotown on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:14 pm

I've replaced the doorbell AND the transformer... but I need to figure out what exactly I've wired incorrectly. The doorbell only chimes as long as you're pressing the button, and the "test" function on the doorbell doesn't work. So it seems like power is only getting to the doorbell while the button is pressed. I'd think there should always be power, and the button should just tell it to play a full chime?
I play bass in Body Futures
I sing and play whatever's needed in The Five Mod Four
I rarely use Twitter
wotown
lt. sharon 'boomer' valerii
lt. sharon 'boomer' valerii

Postby codetocontra on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:28 pm

The doorbell I am familiar with have a normally open switch. When you press the switch the contacts close and the bell will ding. Some of them will make the dong sound when the switch is released. It should be a low voltage circuit, so either wire you choose could be wired to the switch. The other wire is connected constant from the transformer to the bell. If you have another button on the back door of your house it should be wired in parallel. I don't think I am helping much. What doorbell is it? Maybe I can look something up and explain it better, more specific to what you have.
codetocontra
hiwatt
hiwatt

Previous

Return to General Discussion