home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

The Job Leads Thread

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

The Job Leads Thread

Postby Marsupialized on Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:37 pm

I propose a thread where any information about job openings, etc.. can be listed.
Overheard someone at a party saying their shop is going to hire someone? Your place might be hiring? That sort of thing? Post here.
Times is rough and I think this might be useful to some folks.
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Re: The Job Leads Thread

Postby Bill Swansea on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:51 pm

You're a good man Marsupialized. A good man.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Bill Swansea on Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:18 pm

There's no jobs in South Wales by the way. Nope, none. Unless you want to clean old people in which case there are plenty.

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea

Postby gogobrent on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:53 am

bump.

a good buddy of mine recently moved to chicago and is looking for some work. (bike mechanic, shop help, waiter, etc) kind heart, non-douchebag, humble kind of guy. he also rode his bike to chicago from houston so you could add dedicated too!
gogobrent
seminarian
seminarian

Postby Marsupialized on Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:20 pm

I really wish this thread would have taken off. People helping people, man. That's a track that is a good one to ride on.
Marsupialized

Postby Trad on Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:27 pm

The joint I work at is looking for Java developers and folks with experience with that .Net crap in a university setting. As Marsupialized sort of said once, "your city has fine chicks, but you're still a suburb to Chicago."
Trad
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Marsupialized on Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:45 pm

bump
anyone have anything?
Marsupialized

Postby SecondEdition on Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:47 pm

None.

BUT I NEED THEM.

Help!
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby vogelscheuche on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:11 pm

also in dire need of this stuff. i've been out of work since march, and nothing out there just yet.

i have SOME info if anybody in the DC region is looking for work as an IT recruiter.. interview tomorrow here. place needs more people with human people skills- not necessarily JUST IT skills, and they seem like a good batch.

i'm a refugee from the building industry-- but if you're looking for stuff in the building trades services-- PM-- i was a project manager and have a rolodex full of folks i could forward you to. most of them are hurting.. but be glad to share.
vogelscheuche
david schwimmer
david schwimmer

Postby ebeam on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:12 pm

You can work for me... You need (at the very least) a strong physical science background (e.g. BS), good people skills and a desire to learn about scanning electron microscopy and teach others. Maybe a long shot, but who knows. We're already interviewing a few candidates this week.
ebeam
barnett newman
barnett newman

Postby SecondEdition on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:19 pm

I'm looking for jobs in writing, mostly.

But at this moment I'm considering applying for a data entry temp job round these parts.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby tbone on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:24 pm

I was looking for this thread recently but no amount of tomsearchery on my part would produce its existence.

If anyone wants to do some sorta entry level application development/db administration in the Chicago Loop, there is an opening where I work, in the desk right next to me. Knowledge of .NET and SQL a definite plus, but if you don't have a ton of experience in that yet, really all this required is for someone that does this kind of work and can pick stuff up quickly. PM me if interested and I can go into further details and/or get your resume over to my boss.
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Bill Swansea on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:37 pm

SecondEdition wrote:I'm looking for jobs in writing, mostly.

Track down some free magazines that do music reviews and that. I've sent in (and had stuff printed) here but it's South Wales focused. There must be something around where you are. Only problem with mine is you have always to be nice with what you write about, oh and I don't get payed, but it is a good place to start.

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea

Postby DrAwkward on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:31 am

So i'm finally very seriously considering a move to Chicago.

I do/have done a ton of writing/editing locally for Third Coast Digest, its little sister Fan-Belt, and the Milwaukee Onion AV Club. Currently i work for a children's gaming website as a copywriter/producer/project leader and am completely unsure as to how that will translate into other writing fields. Any leads, suggestions, etc. are welcome. Thanks, y'all.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby noise&light on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:38 am

Here is a link to the Chicago Artists Resource job page.
http://www.chicagoartistsresource.org/music/jobs

Because lots of arts organizations use it, I find that there are far too many requests for non-paid volunteer jobs but maybe that comes with any job search forum.

Just this morning they posted an availability at the Old Town School of Folk Music for an office person to work with scheduling for their programs.

Program Manager, Private and Adult Group Music Lessons - Old Town School of Folk Music

Personally I think that this would be a great gig but you have to have an arts background and speak Spanish.
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light

Postby Jason A on Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:00 am

A friend will soon be staffing a full lab and engineering group dedicated to wind turbine generator set and power train development, in Madison, WI.

He's looking for strong EE and/or ME candidates. It will likely be fairly research oriented.

PM me if you'd like more information.
Jason A
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby hench on Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:08 am

those of you in the los angeles region - usc just started their new fiscal year and ended a long hiring freeze. their job board is hopping right now.

i will warn you that competition is tremendous -- in talking with one of my interviewers for an admin assistant type job, he let slip that he'd had about 270 applicants, nearly all with graduate degrees.

also - craig's list is by far a quicker route to interviews than the big company internal hr websites.

big company internal websites: i'm just now receiving interview requests and rejections for jobs that i applied to in april.

craig's list posts: we received your email five hours ago. can you come in for an interview tomorrow?
hench
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby virginia woolfshirt on Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:14 am

i work at an association/nonprofit in downtown chicago that is hiring for an entry-level PR position, a very writing-intensive gig. i bitch about my job but if you are looking for work in a communications job, you could do a lot worse than working here. looking for someone slightly tech-savvy, i.e., please know how to slap together a webpage using w3schools and don't ask me what css is. you'd get to work in the cube next to me, which means we could pool our musical tastes. they're doing interviews this week, but PM me if you have a resume together and i will put a good word in.
virginia woolfshirt
bishop
bishop

Environmental jobs in Chicago.

Postby Carl on Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:17 am

Jason A wrote:A friend will soon be staffing a full lab and engineering group dedicated to wind turbine generator set and power train development, in Madison, WI.

He's looking for strong EE and/or ME candidates. It will likely be fairly research oriented.

PM me if you'd like more information.

Southeast of Madison, the Chicagoland Environmental Network's jobs and internships list may be of use. Four positions with requirements ranging from GEDs to JDs were posted within the past week.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby shoe on Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:19 am

hench wrote:in talking with one of my interviewers for an admin assistant type job, he let slip that he'd had about 270 applicants, nearly all with graduate degrees.

(emphasis mine)
Why in the world would somebody need a graduate degree to be an administrative assistant?
shoe
marmoset
marmoset

Next

Return to General Discussion